Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart - Stadium/Facilities

InMyHeart

1, Soccer stadium other than Aami - 1 or 2 games in season 2013/24 

In 2013/14 I would like to see a home game played at a location other than AAMI. People will say, well where will it be? Forget about playing it rurally, Its got to be in Melbourne. My preference is Lakeside Stadium. Other options, Epping, Knights stadium and possibly Visy Park.

2, Lakeside stadium - Facilities and home ground 

Until our Base grows we may well be better off playing games at the boutique stadium that is Lakeside. Now we could set up facilities and with plenty of Park and grounds we could have a solid training ground close by, Play the games that will attract at AAMI, eg: derby's and say an ADP game, or a final. (would love to have a final at Lake side) 

One problem with this is the Athletics track which just takes away from the view, the wings are great but behind the goals are just terrible... If only we were around before the old Bob Jane stadium was around so we could upgrade it with minimal cost.

3, Facilities (HQ, training) - Upgrade Latrobe, go to Epping, go to lakeside as stated above, go to new stadium stated below.

It will need to have a good training pitch of high standard, Epping has many pitches, Latrobe we already train there.

4, New stadium - Fawkner park(St Kilda road), Albert park, Royal Park,  any other ideas?

New stadium that could house another pitch along side it with Facilities and training pitch.

Fawkner park - has many ovals and has space, It could easily house what we need and is basically other side of the Yarra from AAMI, just past the Tan.

Albert Park  - is much the same with a plethora of grounds, and could house us as well, close to the city. Transport to both Albert park and Fawkner park is limited though

Royal park - Plenty of room, Can house everything we need, transport is also limited but close to the city, a few trams go there
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please ADD to this with suggestions, solutions, ideas!

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
ON a side note, if we want to build crowds and have a good increase, 500-1000 every week, we need to sign a well known marquee, Not a no name, a big name, and get help from the relevant people to secure him, 

Looking at some pics of the lakeside stadium, you could probably hire portable stadium seats or something and place them on the concrete between the pitch and the aths track, the space looks fairly big. Could hold around 1500-2000 people with that amount of space?

Thats a very good point, actually could work and would house the Yarraside

My understanding is that the stadium deal at AAMI is attractive. Given that it is the a fantastic stadium to watch football at AAMI, I wouldn't be rushing anywhere else.

La Trobe is marketing itself as a sports university and I would rather see us play some games at a boutique stadium there long term, but to do that a lot of money would have to be pumped in from somewhere. I think the first step at La Trobe is to build better training facilities.

As a club we need to differentiate ourselves from the others. Tribes are often born by locality, so because of this Epping would make sense given its proximity to La Trobe and the youth team already plays there. I'd like to see a push of Melbourne Heart's association with an area or region more....so maybe a marketing push to say that Melbourne Heart is the club for Melbourne's north or Melbourne's north and west.

Another suggestion is to play a game in Geelong, Kardina Park is a good stadium with excellent facilities and transportation connections...it is a bit of a trip for some people though, but it is only 1 or 2 games a season.

Regarding your side note, I just want the club to be successful and the best way of doing that is winning, so if a marquee helps us get there then that is a great idea. Alternatively if by us only having so much to spend on players, I want to see the most competitive roster we can buy. It's a bit like Garry Ablett and the Gold Coast Suns, Garry is a AFL marquee but his inclusion doesn't bring success without other good players around him. AFL is a bit different to football, but I'd like to see a well balanced list for next year.

I'm sorry but La Trobe Uni might as well be the arse end of the earth when it comes to Heart having a presence in Melbourne. The lure of someday somebody financing an upgrade to facilities there is at the expense of having a presence close to the city. Fark the hell get out of La Trobe and try Lakeside as a regular training spot with some upgraded medical facilities including proper ice baths etc (if they don't already exist there). We certainly are currently hell bent on the cheapest nastiest solutions. In the longer term we should redevelop an older suburban ground that is well serviced by public transport as our home ground - like Glenferrie road oval which sits right beside the train line and just a short trip out of town making it really convenient.

Of course I can already guess the response from the powers that be at HeartFC HQ

Edited by HEARTinator
  • Like 1

Lakeside really only has 1 light rail for public transport, not super accessible and all those SMFC bleaters will carry on about Heart amalgamating with South Melbourne. We'd be better off getting a better deal from AAMI in terms of amenity - allowing decent food vendors into the ground, hiring our own security etc.

Yes i disagree. As a hellas member, lakeside belongs to south melbourne. While i believe an a league game there would be great, for me it would have to have to be south playing or it would not feel the same.

Do they actually own it?

And I would love to see a game or two put at lakeside, Perth and CCM games would do

Yes i disagree. As a hellas member, lakeside belongs to south melbourne. While i believe an a league game there would be great, for me it would have to have to be south playing or it would not feel the same.

I like the way people believe certain things and then state them as fact. Lakeside is owned by the Victorian state government and operated by the statutory authority State Sports Trust Centre http://www.vic.gov.au/contactsandservices/directory/?ea0_lfz99_120.&organizationalUnit&dd2db243-edd7-4adf-874a-e39ec7609b3d#Branches

It's also been stated previously that Lakeside Oval isn't up to standard to host HAL matches.

Edited by HEARTinator
  • Like 1

Technically we dont. Spiritually we do. It would be like you guys standing in the northern terrace- wouldnt feel right. Our social room is there. Our headquarters are there. I fail to see how it isnt up to standard. The average crowd for an old nsl sunday game was more than what heart average and that was before the redevelopment.

P.S please dont think im some old ethnic nsl lover even though i sound like it

Still very surprised that the club didn't set up training facilities out at Casey Fields in Cranbourne. City of Casey has pumped huge dollars into the facilities out there and they would definately have spent the big $$$$ to have an A-League team based out there and provided facilites that would piss all over the paddocks at LaTrobe.

They have 4 oval pitches out there, a quality athetics centre and a shitload of space to expand. It's not centrally based but it's quite easy to get to via a short train ride and a bus from the train station.

image3Feb2010-114423.jpg

http://www.casey.vic.gov.au/caseyfields/?nav=tree

Pitches 8, 9, 10, 11 & 12 are proposed for football including a boutique stadium.

Edited by mus-28

I asked Scott Munn in the fan forum -last year -why aren't we trying out Lakeside stadium for a few games-Perth and CCM as stated above-and he said that it doesn't meet A-league standards. I replied to him and "Morwell does???". He just shook his head. Lakeside is a brilliant idea as it will create an atmosphere and I reckon players will enjoy it as well.

• Like 1

We play at a world class stadium in AAMI Park, unless we have to why would we want to move? I think we definitely need better training facilities but we do not need to move our home games. Perhaps in the future we could be like an AFL club in having our headquarters at a smaller facility like Princes Park and then play our home games at AAMI Park, our version of the MCG.

Would love to have our very own 'Heart Park' for majority of our matches and just move the big ones to AAMI but it won't happen, at least not in the next 10 years. I think Melbourne Heart are trying to create a sporting club rather than a football club in the long term, we've seen with the futsal team, and I would love for the club to take over the whole Epping complex and build everything there. This however also won't happen because we are stuck at shitty LaTrobe. If they don't get serious upgrades within the next two years I think the club has to move.

We play at a world class stadium in AAMI Park, unless we have to why would we want to move? I think we definitely need better training facilities but we do not need to move our home games. Perhaps in the future we could be like an AFL club in having our headquarters at a smaller facility like Princes Park and then play our home games at AAMI Park, our version of the MCG.

Would love to have our very own 'Heart Park' for majority of our matches and just move the big ones to AAMI but it won't happen, at least not in the next 10 years. I think Melbourne Heart are trying to create a sporting club rather than a football club in the long term, we've seen with the futsal team, and I would love for the club to take over the whole Epping complex and build everything there. This however also won't happen because we are stuck at shitty LaTrobe. If they don't get serious upgrades within the next two years I think the club has to move.

AAMI is a great stadium and we should stay there. I like the idea of putting more red and white around the place such as on the stands, nets like Bayern Munich do etc. Even put a club logo over empty seats (hopefully only for a little while).

I suggested in the members survey that Heart should have a club with training base in a central location. When the gym, pool etc. weren't being used by the playing squads they could be used by club members. We could have club rooms to meet up in.

Fancy that, a club with facilities and benefits.

Just an idea.

• Like 2

Just because the club provided some old NYL Uniforms to a Futsal Team does not mean it wishes to become Fenerbache.

Soccer is still a Fad Sport in Australia, although under JA things look particularly gloomy if we started winning, looking a def finals bound club and then making the finals consistently our crowds would quickly rise from 5,000 to around 15,000 (ESP in a place like Melbourne) and playing elsewhere would not be feasible.

Brisbane Strikers, Perth Glory, Northern Spirit in the NSL and even Melbourne Victory and WSW in the A League have shown that when a Non Ethnic based Soccer teams start winning consistently then supporters can quickly jump on... and of course also quickly jump off when things turn sour.

Just look at how many PPL rocked up at The Gimp for are final against Perth at the end of Season Two.

What we need to do is win and then AMMI will suit us just fine.

• Like 1

We could just not be shit and get 15,000 people along to games at our current stadium ??

This is not unrealistic, in the past when we have strung some games together attendances at our games do noticeably begin to grow at each match.

(Sadly often we have failed on these occasions which has lead to an end such a rise in crowd numbers.)

PPL going to watch poor AFL sides play poorly because they have done so most of their lives and they can look back fondly on the good memories they have of supporting such clubs. (Despite how few and far between these times have occurred.)

MHFC in three seasons has established such relationship with some of its diehard supporters on here, but has come nowhere closer to doing so with the majority of its supporters or prospective supporters which means we need to rely on winning matches to grow such relationships.

• Like 2

As a club we need to differentiate ourselves from the others. Tribes are often born by locality, so because of this Epping would make sense given its proximity to La Trobe and the youth team already plays there. I'd like to see a push of Melbourne Heart's association with an area or region more....so maybe a marketing push to say that Melbourne Heart is the club for Melbourne's north or Melbourne's north and west.

Another suggestion is to play a game in Geelong, Kardina Park is a good stadium with excellent facilities and transportation connections...it is a bit of a trip for some people though, but it is only 1 or 2 games a season.

We have been though this so many times before...even assuming that other venues meet FFA requirements (which they don't) if we draw a crowd of 6,000 to AAMI Park, which is a central location well-served by public transport, do you seriously expect us to do better on the northern boundary of the metropolitan area at a stadium where there is next to no public transport at all?

Likewise, do you seriously expect us to do better in Geelong with a population of 500,000 as opposed to Melbourne with a population close to 4m?

Interesting point.  

I think though that if you are going to play one regional game a season, playing it in the biggest regional city in the state would make a lot of sense (as opposed to morwell) 

There are plenty of heart supporters in geelong, who rarely make the trip to Aami park,  but would definitely attend in geelong (plus a lot of neutrals). 

Can't play at lakeside due to not being up too HAL standerd.

Do you actually believe that FFA dribble? Don't be so gullible. The only reason we can't play there is because the FFA don't want a game there. Do I belive the FFA or a stranger on the Internet with no facts...?
  • Like 1

We have been though this so many times before...even assuming that other venues meet FFA requirements (which they don't) if we draw a crowd of 6,000 to AAMI Park, which is a central location well-served by public transport, do you seriously expect us to do better on the northern boundary of the metropolitan area at a stadium where there is next to no public transport at all?

Likewise, do you seriously expect us to do better in Geelong with a population of 500,000 as opposed to Melbourne with a population close to 4m?

Interesting point.  

I think though that if you are going to play one regional game a season, playing it in the biggest regional city in the state would make a lot of sense (as opposed to morwell) 

There are plenty of heart supporters in geelong, who rarely make the trip to Aami park,  but would definitely attend in geelong (plus a lot of neutrals). 

Then they're barely Heart supporters. 

I know people who do regularly travel from Geelong to watch matches - it's not far!

If they're unwilling to do it now, we're not going to gain much in the future by having the occasional game there, I can't see them then coming to the missus.

Interesting point.  

I know people who do regularly travel from Geelong to watch matches - it's not far!

If they're unwilling to do it now, we're not going to gain much in the future by having the occasional game there, I can't see them then coming to the missus.

I half expected a response like this....   i think you need to accept the fact that not all supporters can make it to the majority of melbourne games when there is a 3hr round trip involved.   And they can still be classified as supporters.  

My point is if you're playing a regional game anywhere, Geelong makes sense.  

Interesting point.  

Morwell was a complete debacle, the club lost badly out of it financially and it didn’t do many favours for the club image wise either.

(And I am not talking about the Mongs “Morwell Heart” jokes).

The club having to pay for its own supporter buses from the station to the ground was beyond a stupid situation.

Therefore seeing as the ground at Geelong is the Modern Skilled Stadium with lights and a train station next door and pubs also nearby as a Heart supporter living in Melbourne if we have to play a regional game then Geelong is my pick.

(Unless they want to play in Sorrento – As it will be Summer and I have free accommodation there.)

It only takes 20minutes more by train to get from Geelong to Richmond as it does from Frankston to Richmond. No excuse not to make it.

ha. Obviously never made the trip yourself.  

Its not practical.  Some people on here need to wake up to the real world and accept not all supporters can get to every single game. 

Edited by sunovagun

It only takes 20minutes more by train to get from Geelong to Richmond as it does from Frankston to Richmond. No excuse not to make it.

ha. Obviously never made the trip yourself.  

Its not practical.  Some people on here need to wake up to the real world and accept not all supporters can get to every single game. 

Lol

He did the trip a number of times in reverse with me last year as Cats fans.

And TBH I dont have much sympathy for you mate because since I returned from Perth to Melbourne I only would have missed five games in seven years at KP.

And I know a number of Melb based PPL who have missed none.

• Like 1