Melbourne Football

*SPOILERS* - Game of Thrones Episode Discussion

Duchess

2 hours ago, Tesla said:

Lol I thought I was the only one wondering why he wasn't running zig zag

You running and bang, an arrow hits the ground next to you...... I'll be thinking , holy crap this curnt trying to turn me into shishkabab. I have to pull out my sickest summer daze moves or I'm dead here.

nah...I'll just run stright line, fkn tool. 

On 14/06/2016 at 10:09 AM, Deviant said:

Potential spoilers to the story below, If you don't want to read further, do not highlight below. (I hope it's the same on mobile lol)

I think Cercei is going to fuck up like she always does and roast Kings Landing (Along with her son and the old cultist cunt) with wildfire leaving nothing for Dragon Tits to take over. The mad king alluded to doing what Danni has now done on multiple occasions and that is: Burn the cunt down and walk out unharmed. He wanted to burn down Kings Landing (With Wild fire throughout the caves under Kings Landing and walk/fly out as a dragon.

Green line

Well the king's suicide conveniently creates a situation where the crown is up for grabs just as the Starks are back and Dragon Tits has her boats and army.

Seems so obvious that Snow/Starks will team up with Dragon Tits that surely it won't happen just to keep it interesting.

Of course both being Targaryans they are both claimants, so I suppose it's feasable that they could fight each other but with the white walkers and the whole "ice vs fire" shit you'd think they come together at some point.

Jon becoming a reluctant King really showed how his character has a lot of the original Celtic King Arthur Legend behind him... a unknown bastard child of a Royal who reluctantly becomes a leader of men when they desperately need one. 

He even is given a great sword when he was younger due to the leadership that can be seen within him...

4 hours ago, bt50 said:

Incredible episode. Whilst I expected aspects of that to happen, theres no way i thought theyd kill off that many characters in one hit.

Also, fuck me Cersei Lannister is a cold hearted cunt.

Hopefully the 11 character cull creates a more streamlined story next season so they don't have to wrap it up in a big rush.

• 3 weeks later...

Holy fucking shit just downloaded the GoT mod for CK2.

Whoever made this are the biggest GoT nerds imaginable and also my fucking heroes.

Can even go back and start at dates before the books/show. I don't even know who to play as, maybe Ned Stark at the time of Robert's Rebellion.

Do yourself a favour and buy CK2 (a very good game in itself if you like history and medeival/feudal stuff) on Steam and then get the GoT mod.

kUNB3Dz.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Season 7 episode 1:

Pros: Opening scene was sweet af. More Greyjoys. Jorah Mormont greyscaled the fuck out.

Cons: Ed Sheeran is apparently a Lannister soldier? So much talking so little doing of stuff. No tits. No violence.

Overall: Very meh, but every season opener is these days. Wasn't exactly hyped for this new season so I'm not disappointed or anything.

• Like 1

Thought after the Arya Stark / Waleed Frey start (somewhat predictable given the end of season 6, but how fucking cool was that !?!?!), the show was a fair dampener TBH. 

Ed Sheeran's cameo could have been better but not something that worries me. Just a foot note during an episode that means little in the scheme of things.

11 hours ago, Tesla said:

Worst episode of GoT ever tbh, 90% because of Ed Sheeran

He was def was the worst element... the fact that he spent screen time with the ugly kid from This Is England made it even worse, PPL will disagree with me on here but I did not really like the Film and def not the TV series.

Also up there was that shit scene of Sam cleaning up shit sequence, it felt like a bad 90s sitcom in its supposed comedic repetitiveness, it also went for bloody ever and of course it meant we had to watch another Sam scene which are always shit.

The Hound's comment about "A Topknot" was not needed and def not something George R Martin would ever come up with or write in a book.

Finally TBH I have to admit I am struggling a bit now that the show has gone past the book as its now Scriptwriters prioritising which parts of the story gets told and when... which is why I think last night's episode was so poor. In fact and if anything last night was the first time I had ever start to seriously think too many important characters on GOT had been killed off.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 4

On 18/07/2017 at 8:46 AM, cadete said:

He was def was the worst element... the fact that he spent screen time with the ugly kid from This Is England made it even worse, PPL will disagree with me on here but I did not really like the Film and def not the TV series.

Also up there was that shit scene of Sam cleaning up shit sequence, it felt like a bad 90s sitcom in its supposed comedic repetitiveness, it also went for bloody ever and of course it meant we had to watch another Sam scene which are always shit.

The Hound's comment about "A Topknot" was not needed and def not something George R Martin would ever come up with or write in a book.

Finally TBH I have to admit I am struggling a bit now that the show has gone past the book as its now Scriptwriters prioritising which parts of the story gets told and when... which is why I think last night's episode was so poor. In fact and if anything last night was the first time I had ever start to seriously think too many important characters on GOT had been killed off.

Yes, let's introduce more characters as the show reaches its end. Let's also completely trash the storyline where Sam, with connections to Jon, visits a city with the most valuable and secretive knowledge on the planet.

12 hours ago, jeffplz said:

Yes, let's introduce more characters as the show reaches its end. Let's also completely trash the storyline where Sam, with connections to Jon, visits a city with the most valuable and secretive knowledge on the planet.

1. I never said anything about new characters needing to be be introduced, rather for the first time I felt too many had been killed off... previously I have never felt this way ever about the Books or the TV show as it went past the Books.

My favorite scenes were usually centered around the Politics in King's Landing (Tyrion, Sansa, Jamie and Cersei Chapters in the books) and the scene where it was just Cersei and Jamie hanging around Kings Landing showed how these scenes were now a thing of the past. (I miss Margery mainly TBH.)

2. I know there has to be Sam scenes but that does not mean I have to enjoy them (They are as boring as Bran Chapters IMO) and I think everyone would agree they should only have a bare minimum of time spent on them... him carrying around buckets of shit like Chris Farley for two minutes was not required for the story line.

It has now that it has become depressing clear that we are going to see this story play out and end on TV and not in Written Form which is bloody annoying because the one thing that TV always struggles to do its express a characters inner monologue... And the beauty of the books is that they use a number of characters inner monologues to tell the story.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cadete said:

It has now that it has become depressing clear that we are going to see this story play out and end on TV and not in Written Form which is bloody annoying because the one thing that TV always struggles to do its express a characters inner monologue... And the beauty of the books is that they use a number of characters inner monologues to tell the story.

Agreed. Every time a new season comes out I convince myself that I'm going to stop watching so that I can wait for the books and therefore enjoy it infinitely more, and every time my facebook fills up with stuff about the new episodes and spoilers come out instantly so I can't really avoid it. Hurry up and finish the books old man!

44 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Agreed. Every time a new season comes out I convince myself that I'm going to stop watching so that I can wait for the books and therefore enjoy it infinitely more, and every time my facebook fills up with stuff about the new episodes and spoilers come out instantly so I can't really avoid it. Hurry up and finish the books old man!

I dont think he will make it in time... from what you see of him in the media it looks like he had pretty much conceded this himself.

The problem is that he started of write a Trilogy loosely based on "The War of The Roses" which is quite evident in the First Novel and then I guess he most of got on a roll with his writing and before he knew it he ditched the Trilogy idea had instead created several new People, Places and additional story lines that ultimately require a fuck load more work.

Also FWIW I am not looking forward to the poorly cast Ellaria Sand with the even more poorly cast Asha Greyjoy sharing a Lesbian Kiss... it be interesting to see how much Dorne and the Iron Island have to do with the ultimate ending.

1 hour ago, cadete said:

I dont think he will make it in time... from what you see of him in the media it looks like he had pretty much conceded this himself.

The problem is that he started of write a Trilogy loosely based on "The War of The Roses" which is quite evident in the First Novel and then I guess he most of got on a roll with his writing and before he knew it he ditched the Trilogy idea had instead created several new People, Places and additional story lines that ultimately require a fuck load more work.

Also FWIW I am not looking forward to the poorly cast Ellaria Sand with the even more poorly cast Asha Greyjoy sharing a Lesbian Kiss... it be interesting to see how much Dorne and the Iron Island have to do with the ultimate ending.

has khaleesi had her period yet? gotta show that on TV 

15 minutes ago, cadete said:

Have you read them?

12 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I have and treat them as two different tellings of a similar story. Pretty much like the gospels 

Don't get me wrong - I love the show and its my favorite show of all time besides the obv incomparable two S's...

But I find the two guys who Write/Produce the show often muck up a lot of what GRM has intended for the book, I know this as I have been massive Medieval History Buff my whole life (like GRM) and so I can tell when many of the Places/PPL/Events in the book are based of Historical Events that I know a fair bit about. 

Therefore when we reach a point where the show goes past the book it can get annoying when I see things that could be a lot more Historically Accurate, even though that sounds stupid as its a Fantasy Program with Dragons and shit GRM often goes to great lengths to make things reflect back to the late Middle Ages. 

He goes to a lot of attention in regards to lineage and weaponry for example.

(Also for more context the two series of Historical Novels that GRM inspired him to write GOT are some of my favorite books that I read a number of times in College - His original aim as I said in early post was to create his own War of The Roses inspired by Historical Fiction.)

Edited by cadete

6 hours ago, cadete said:

Don't get me wrong - I love the show and its my favorite show of all time besides the obv incomparable two S's...

But I find the two guys who Write/Produce the show often muck up a lot of what GRM has intended for the book, I know this as I have been massive Medieval History Buff my whole life (like GRM) and so I can tell when many of the Places/PPL/Events in the book are based of Historical Events that I know a fair bit about. 

Therefore when we reach a point where the show goes past the book it can get annoying when I see things that could be a lot more Historically Accurate, even though that sounds stupid as its a Fantasy Program with Dragons and shit GRM often goes to great lengths to make things reflect back to the late Middle Ages. 

He goes to a lot of attention in regards to lineage and weaponry for example.

(Also for more context the two series of Historical Novels that GRM inspired him to write GOT are some of my favorite books that I read a number of times in College - His original aim as I said in early post was to create his own War of The Roses inspired by Historical Fiction.)

Not just in a historical sense, but also just messing up the way certain parts are supposed to make the audience feel. For example, apart from the battle for Winterfell last season which showed the horror of the crush, most of the show has glorified war and violence, whilst in the books GRRM mostly does the opposite, pointing out the horrors and waste of life that war produces. (Or maybe that's just the way I read it idk)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

Not just in a historical sense, but also just messing up the way certain parts are supposed to make the audience feel. For example, apart from the battle for Winterfell last season which showed the horror of the crush, most of the show has glorified war and violence, whilst in the books GRRM mostly does the opposite, pointing out the horrors and waste of life that war produces. (Or maybe that's just the way I read it idk)

You are 100% right, I remember three years back a friend who was a Feminist saying she loved both the books and show cos of strong female characters.

So I actually lent her some books I had on Eleanor of Aquitaine and Isabella the She Wolf of France... Major influences on GRM work in regards to Cersi, Olena and Margery.

However she said she preferred the show because the books had so much rape. I had to explain to her that in the Middle Ages that wars were fought with Rape and Famine 90% of the time and not battles and weapons... And GRM did not this point want to be missed.

Edited by cadete

5 hours ago, cadete said:

You are 100% right, I remember three years back a friend who was a Feminist saying she loved both the books and show cos of strong female characters.

So I actually lent her some books I had on Eleanor of Aquitaine and Isabella the She Wolf of France... Major influences on GRM work in regards to Cersi, Olena and Margery.

However she said she preferred the show because the books had so much rape. I had to explain to her that in the Middle Ages that wars were fought with Rape and Famine 90% of the time and not battles and weapons... And GRM did not this point want to be missed.

Exactly. The biggest criticisms of the books I've read are the same, that there is too much rape and extreme violence, but he doesn't include this for shock value, he includes all this stuff to ensure he isn't sugar-coating war.

8 hours ago, jeffplz said:

Why is that even a complaint? Are you getting raped by reading it? Just close your eyes and move on if the page bothers you

I wish I had this "close your eyes" reading advice when they made us read "A Separate Piece" in Year 10 English...