Melbourne Football

Potential A-league signings

heart_fan10

Time of the year where we're looking to sign players. There's obviously a lot of talent around the world, but let's concentrate on a-league based players for the moment to keep things realistic. I've thought of some players who i think would add to our current signed playersand would improve our squad in order to have us challenging next season.

Goalkeepers: Jerrad Tyson, Matt Acton

Defenders: Manny Muscat, Michael Thwaite, Adrian Madaschi (contract expires this season irrc), Ivan Franjic, Corey Brown, Craig Goodwin, Shannon Cole, Antony Golec

Midfielders: Massimo Murdocca, Aaron Mooy, Mitch Nichols

Forwards: Joel Chianese, Corey Gameiro

Obviously not going to sign all of them, but i would hope to see some of those names on the clubs shortlist (if we actually have one)

• Like 1

Wow you summarised my thoughts pretty well after I had a bit of thinking time driving home (was out and about for a bit).

We need to get Madaschi, Goodwin, Mooy and Gameiro.

Madaschi's impact was immense when he was with us, I know he loved being here and loved the club, so lets go about getting him (replacement for Colossimo).

Goodwin was a crying shame to be lost from this club, need him back (replace Hoffman).

Mooy is a great talent, he seems to have a great lease on life at WSW (not sure who he replaces but I think we need him)

Gameiro is a great YOUNG talent who has a good work ethic and a lot of talent based on what I've seen (once again, not sure who he replaces)

Just throwing it out there, but if I could only have 1, it has to be Madaschi

I think that we need to return to our core values and invest in young players next season. We still might finish last again but at least there's a very good chance that they'll improve. It would also be good to see some Melbourne players in the team. I know that Mate has been injured but most weeks we have no Victorian players at all in the team.

Golec is out of favour at Adelaide, left footed centre back who can play left back as well. Thought he was brilliant against us earlier in the season, strong, good in the tackle and unbeleivably quick.

Only way Adelaide would release him is if they deemed him as surplus to requirements, which could be likely as they have no room in their squad for new signings as everyone bar 1 place on the squad is tied down for next season.

Although we need a big clean-out of non-performers, I'm not convinced that just buying a new herd of cattle is going to give us the milk we want. Our end to the season has been unbelievably bad. In the past four games we've scored one goal, and been completely outplayed. I firmly believe that it's the structure and formation that is the problem, not the technical ability of the players or their fitness etc. The possession football we started out with under JvS began to fade in the second half of last season, and this year we have progressively degenerated into a long-ball side, relying on the speed of our strikers to outpace the defence. Slower players, such as Tadic and Garcia, who were our main source of goals earlier, have faded even as this season has progressed. In every game now we sit too deep and concede possession to the opposition's midfield. I can't see that we can possibly win more than a handful of games per season if we go on playing this way, whoever we sign and play. Even Messi can't score if he doesn't have the ball.

• Like 2

Liam Miller I think finishes his contract this year.

This bloke is a creative midlfielder who knows how to hold the ball and looks to play passes forward to an attacker. Like his style.

yes someone who could play an accurate forward pass would be a real novelty for us, we haven't had that since Skoko and Sibon

Liam Miller I think finishes his contract this year.

This bloke is a creative midlfielder who knows how to hold the ball and looks to play passes forward to an attacker. Like his style.

yes someone who could play an accurate forward pass would be a real novelty for us, we haven't had that since Skoko and Sibon

And Sarkies. I always thought that lad would slot in where Skoko left off. But no.

Bas van den Brink is back in Holland after his Indian venture collapsed.

We could have had him instead of Coyne. Will turn 31 just before next season.

Play him and Vranks as centre-backs and play Gerhardt in the position we signed him for - defensive midfield.

Sarkies is a good player, but like Fred, he's too injury prone. he hardly got any game time before he was injured again and struggled to reach his potential. If we insist on having a list that is the minimum size then we must avoid injury prone players (Sarkies, Fred etc)

Don't disagree. Then we should release Germano...

Of course, we could always actually fill the 23 spots available...and sign replacements when someone is injured, both of which we stubbornly refused to do this season.

Much of what has happened has been brought on by ourselves.

Sarkies is a good player, but like Fred, he's too injury prone. he hardly got any game time before he was injured again and struggled to reach his potential. If we insist on having a list that is the minimum size then we must avoid injury prone players (Sarkies, Fred etc)

I was actually thinking about Sarkies and Fred just before and their injuries. I was thinking if we had a decent length season then players could cop an injury and make a recovery and play out the season.

Sarkies last season made a come back, got injured again and was out for two weeks and then was out.

Whilst we can't afford to carry injury prone liabilities, it is a shame we can't carry and rehab players so they are useful and an asset. As it stands if a player is injured on a two year contract they almost miss a whole season (eg. Guruccio, Fred) and then try to rush back to prove their worth (Fred) and then it's pretty much bye bye.

Peter, we can. They're called injury replacements. Madaschi was one. It's just this season that JD has point-blank refused to countenance the idea. Even with Dugandzic out for the entire season.

Some of our management decisions leading up to and during this season defy logic.

• Like 1

Of course, we could always actually fill the 23 spots available...and sign replacements when someone is injured, both of which we stubbornly refused to do this season.

Much of what has happened has been brought on by ourselves.

I wouldn't be surprised if JD was under orders from the Board to cap wages and not sign any injury or guest players. The Beckham money was going to come from sponsors and not from the club's existing budget. JA has had some operating restrictions that almost over-determined this outcome, a more experienced coach would have refused the 'opportunity', but then perhaps the Board anticipated the outcome and so that's why they are willing to retain him.

Yes, much as it pains me to say it, if we want to be competitive on a shoestring budget then we should release Germano although he's a great asset to the team when fit. Everything that has happened has been brought on by ourselves, in a way that is a good thing because it's then in our power to make next season different.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 2

Much of what has happened has been brought on by ourselves. I wouldn't be surprised if JD was under orders from the Board to cap wages and not sign any injury or guest players. The Beckham money was going to come from sponsors and not from the club's existing budget. JA has had some operating restrictions that almost over-determined this outcome, a more experienced coach would have refused the 'opportunity', but then perhaps the Board anticipated the outcome and so that's why they are willing to retain him.

Yes, much as it pains me to say it, if we want to be competitive on a shoestring budget then we should release Germano although he's a great asset to the team when fit. Everything that has happened has been brought on by ourselves, in a way that is a good thing because it's then in our power to make next season different. Fucking sad ain't it.

Last year I was chating to an 'aquantance', his son was 16 playing in the seniors for some country side in bendigo as a treq. Now I do understand familial exageration, but 16 against seniors, 6 goals and assists in 10 games says potential.

I cannot remember the kids name (only he was of spanish extraction) but I would like to see someone like this signed for the youth team, rather than 18-19yr olds who realy at that age should be pushing for spots.

I just hope that we are running our eyes over local players on a continuous basis and getting them out to Heart HQ regularly to get to know people at the club and make them feel welcome to come out to Latrobe at any time to kick a ball with our players, show them some training routines, etc. etc. That del Solar lad looked pretty good when he played a pre-season match with us - wonder what happened to him?

There's so much that can be done along informal lines, and you only have to discover one gem to make everything worthwhile for all concerned - player and club.