Melbourne Football

New Season - New Badge

dazman

Now that this season is over, I reckon it's a good time to bring this up: The badge.

I've asked about two dozen of my friends (a mix of Heart fans, sensible Victory fans and neutrals/non a-league followers) what they think of Melbourne Heart's badge and the responses I got ranged from 'mmm, it's kinda weird' to 'it's bad - they should change it'.  Not only did I not get any positive responses, but I didn't even get any neutral responses.  In case anyone's struggling to join the dots, this means that our current badge is baad.

This is a big issue, and by extension so is the way the wider community sees our club.

No, a new badge won't win us championships or instantly bring in thousands more fans, but it is an incredibly simple, easy and cost-free way to improve the image of the club so we're taken seriously.  The current badge doesn't even look like a football team badge.

At risk of sounding arrogant, I think there aren't any better badge-appropriate symbols for our club than the red and white stripes, and the Flag of Melbourne (which is also red and white.  I've seen it in the crowd a few times - google it if you haven't).  These can be combined to make a badge that IMHO represents the club perfectly and looks good - as good as WSW's and better than all the other clubs'.  I've put up a few variations of this design, my favourites being the middle and right ones on the top row.

What do you think?  And how can I/can someone here contact the club about this?

post-3071-0-69257800-1364109549_thumb.pn

• Like 1

I like the badge at the top of the home page for this site, the circle around our symbol

That's marginally better than what we've got, but it still has that shitty blob shape in the middle that is the reason I hate the current one

I don't like anything of them tbh. Why would we want a cow (or whale?) on our badge? Ours is good but could be improved to make it more 'traditional' by adding a shape or crest around it etc. but I don't like any of yours. Not hating, just my 2 cents.

• Like 3

Someone mentioned a modified badge to Heart brains trust recently and they said fuck orf - I think

If we make enough noise, send shitloads of emails, and repeatedly mention it at fan forums etc they'd have to take notice sooner or later

I don't like anything of them tbh. Why would we want a cow (or whale?) on our badge? Ours is good but could be improved to make it more 'traditional' by adding a shape or crest around it etc. but I don't like any of yours. Not hating, just my 2 cents.

Fair enough, but that's the flag of melbourne.  atletico madrid has a bear picking strawberries on theirs cos it's the madrid coat of arms, and koln has a billy goat

Fwiw I actually love our logo. It's unique and a great design. What is the obsession with having a circle around the current design or a different logo in a circle. The only other A-League team that has that is the Wanderers. Plus building a brand means being recognisable, not having a new logo every three years.

• Like 3

Fwiw I actually love our logo. It's unique and a great design. What is the obsession with having a circle around the current design or a different logo in a circle. The only other A-League team that has that is the Wanderers. Plus building a brand means being recognisable, not having a new logo every three years.

I like it too, it's contemporary, we are a modern club, let's not pretend that we have a 100 year old design.

• Like 1

I like it too, it's contemporary, we are a modern club, let's not pretend that we have a 100 year old design.

to cpantlin, the brand the club has built so far is one of being small, unsuccessful and ambitionless.

and to belaguttman, it's not really pretending that we've got a 100 year old design, just having a design that looks like it's a football club badge.

I'm guessing the only people who like the current badge are some of the rusted on supporters, of which there aren't many.  The club has to appeal to other people too, and as I found out by asking around the overwhelming consensus is that it's bad.  Even my girlfriend and little sister think its bad because it looks feminine, and that's saying something

• Like 1

A vote/poll will probably be a resounding yes to change it

Oops yeah I should've made a poll,

but IIRC TornAsunder on another thread that in the fan representative group only he and Ando, so 25% of the group knew that this forum existed.  So this forum represents only a small portion of the clubs membership base.

Not to mention that a lot of these users probs won't even go on these forums for a while cos of the dismal situation, and thus won't vote

On top of that, the membership base only represents less than half of our total fans (judging by our 6500 members v 14000 that showed up for the del piero extravaganza). 

And this itself represents a small portion of our potential fans, which are vital to our success because these are the people that will grow our attendances.

A decision needs to be made taking aaall these people into account, not a fraction of a half of a small portion, which is what a poll would represent.  When all of these people are taken into account the obvious answer is to change it

Officially the off season for us now. I think we have the time to speak about every little issue. The badge, yes a little issue but can and should be fixed. I love all your designs by the way, 4th would be my favourite

+1 on the 4th design. However kontra.11's avatar would make for a great mhfc logo I even like the shade of red he has used.

TornAsunder said we are on our own . I do not care for any of his posts now.

...but I still care for your posts MrAidan

And to clear things up, the only topic I was walking away from was the Active / ACG online mess, which was going in circles ... Until it was revealed by BH that the matter is being worked through by the Terrace leaders offline, which is good news.

Posts and opinions of a constructive nature will continue to be reported back to the club....in fact I should hopefully have an update to give tomorrow.

...and as a few mentioned previously, the club is not interested at this stage in tweaking their logo / badge. There is nothing to stop people making their own versions as avatar images, or even to potentially take to games though

• Like 1

The club wasn't founded in 1905, we were founded in the 21st century. These traditional logo designs are just as plastic and none of them are indicative on the clubs history. The logo is fine, it's unique and we will grow along with it.

• Like 4

The club was founded in 2008 Red or Dead.

My understanding is that the syndicate was established in 2008 and the "Melbourne Heart Football Club" license was granted in 2009. In 2008 I don't even think this club had a name yet:

Thought so! Red or dead, I win. 1-0 to me ;)

Stop embarrassing yourself mate, you won't win this!  :P

About us

Our Club

Inspired by a vision for a broad based community team, celebrating cultural diversity and sporting passion through football, Melbourne Heart FC was established in 2009.

Drawing a link between past, present and future, the Heart’s founders aimed to develop a club truly representative of the wider Victorian football public, hoping to build an identity and guiding philosophy future generations will identify as the beating heart of Melbourne’s newest team.

http://www.melbourneheartfc.com.au/aboutus

Ha!! Keep hoping...