Melbourne Football

City in the headlines

millm103

Not exactly Heart in the headlines but it affects us...

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1145236/Mariners-to-field-youth-team

Central Coast will field its youth team next week if Western Sydney wins the Premiers' Plate, partly in protest at the A-League's "crazy" resistance of simultaneous last round matches.

And they'll still beat us. :droy:

I think this will depend on what WSW do against Newcastle the day before. CCM have the benefit of playing the next day so if WSW lose to Newcastle then CCM will field their full-strength team. If WSW draws or wins against NUJFC then they'll field their youth team!

Arnold's team inclusions this week will be the maximum allowed and he'll drop either the experienced or the youngsters depending on WSW's result.

Well, many of us have been saying exactly the same thing:

"At the end of the day, fans don’t turn up to games every week to see the team they care about so much settle for mediocrity for the sake of breaking even or turning a profit, they are there to see their team win games."

The club will grow (rapidly) when its main goal is winning silverware and not accepting mediocre performances - from players or coach.

Edited by HEARTinator

Well, many of us having been saying exactly the same thing:

"At the end of the day, fans don’t turn up to games every week to see the team they care about so much settle for mediocrity for the sake of breaking even or turning a profit, they are there to see their team win games."

The club will grow (rapidly) when its main goal is winning silverware and not accepting mediocre performances - from players or coach.

I couldnt agree more that JA was a mediocore cheap option instead of looking for a quality coach with experience which is exactly what we needed with such a young group of guys. YES he did bring out the best in some players, (Gol Gol, Williams) but with the players available at his disposal he should of managed the group better.

Written by a certain Francis Leach.

As always, the question with journos is whether they are expressing their own individual thoughts, or piggy-backing on what they read elsewhere - for example on this forum.

A couple of comments. Colosimo's red card was against WSW, not Adelaide, and Heart chairman Peter Sidwell was one of the three-member panel that recommended giving WSW some concessions in their first  season(s).

Otherwise the article is sound, and reflects what supporters have been saying. The biggest question of all is whether anyone at Heart HQ reads this sort of stuff.

"Colosimo's red card against Adelaide was unforgivable".

Was against WSW you tool!

He's confusing it with the one Colosimo got against Adelaide last season, cost us the game (penalty), or the one he got against Phoenix this season (cost us 2 points). All in all though it's a reasonable article that makes many valid points.

This. I don't even care if we don't win the league if we play consistent exciting adventurous football with a clear focus on youth and player development. I'm even happy if we do keep selling our players if it doesn't compromise this focus and development, but to settle for none of this is a tragedy in the making. I can understand why the club decided to balance the hiring a rookie coach with more senior on-field experience however in retrospect it was a lost opportunity to reaffirm our 'brand' by emphasising our emphasis on exciting football and youth.

To the best of my knowledge Francis Leach isn't employed by the FFA, he's a commentator for the ABC sometimes and a sports enthusiast.

Well if that's the case it's not an article that the FFA need to publish on their website

I certainly agree with you here. So much crap is put up on that site it's not funny. FFA seem to think it's necessary to have something new there nearly every day. That's fine, as long as articles are directed at building the game up in a thoughtful and constructive way. For FFA to publish what most people would immediately think is an 'official viewpoint' and condemn various Heart players by name is out of order. [We might do it on here, but that's a different matter. This is clearly a supporters forum.]

"If there's nothing sensible to say, say nothing."

• Like 1

Interesting line here:

"...we have re-signed every young player that we've wanted."

I wonder who this includes? Presumably Walker (announced), and Mitchinson (JA said we wanted him next year), but who else (if anyone)?

Interesting line here:

"...we have re-signed every young player that we've wanted."

I wonder who this includes? Presumably Walker (announced), and Mitchinson (JA said we wanted him next year), but who else (if anyone)?

This was in the paper saturday and had their list of potential targets. Their main one being lamps.

We may be shit on the field but seem to be well run off the field and its a good acheivment considering how bad on field stuff has been.

Thank christ the owners seem to be willing to open the purse strings finally

Edited by Dylan

Well he's taken the negative comments posted here to Heart LOL! Anyway, I don't care where he goes but if comes back a better coach that's fantastic. Hopefully he also gets a more experienced assistant and The Red Foxe gets relegated to carrying the oranges.