Melbourne Football

City in the headlines

millm103

Melbourne City star Bruno Fornaroli focused on AFC berth

March 13, 2017 1:47pm

by MATT WINDLEY

Source: Herald Sun

BRUNO Fornaroli hasn’t been spooked by Australia’s poor start in the Asian Champions League, insisting he is hellbent on seeing Melbourne City take on Asia’s best clubs in 2018.

Brisbane, Western Sydney and Adelaide have combined for five losses and a draw in the first two ACL group games this season, shipping 20 goals and scoring just two.

But Fornaroli is unperturbed, referencing how “important” it is for City to start pushing itself in to Asia.

BELIEVE IT: WHY A-LEAGUE SIDES WERE HAMMERED

First it has to qualify.

Sydney FC is already guaranteed a spot as it will win the premier’s plate, while the runner-up — almost certain to be Melbourne Victory — guarantees itself at least a playoff berth.

Depending on who wins the grand final, the third spot could fall to the team who finishes third on the ladder, which is the position City currently occupies.

Melbourne City star Bruno Fornaroli wants his team to stitch up third place in a bid to win an Asian Champions League berth. Picture: Getty ImagesSource: Getty Images

“We want to put Melbourne City in to Asia,” Fornaroli said.

“But if we want to go there and play in Asia we have to get good results here first.

“So now, it’s about here, it’s about the league and we need to try to get the best position so we can go there.”

Asked about the Roar, Wanderers and United’s start to this year’s ACL, Fornaroli was sympathetic.

“It’s difficult when you have to play in Asia because the players live inside the planes it feel like,” he said.

“You have the jet lag, play lots of games, it’s difficult for teams to play in this Cup. But we can’t change nothing and we want to live this experience.

“We want to be able to say ‘all right, we’re here, and we can compete with all the teams in Asia’.”

After a weekend off, City plays Newcastle at AAMI Park on Saturday night.

— Bruno Fornaroli (@BFornaroli) March 11, 2017

It’s already been a tumultuous season for the club, with former coach John van ’t Schip resigning in January.

But Fornaroli is confident Michael Valkanis has the goods to take the team forward.

“Of course, for me, John van’t Schip is special because when I come for the first time he helped me a lot, he put me the captain this year,” he said.

“So first of all I need to say thank you for John.

“But Michael continued the project and also it’s great for us we started this year with Michael so we know him, he know us also.

“He’s a great coach, he thinks about football all the time.

“We’re happy with Michael as the coach this year.”

Proof of mind control with players believing the Great MCFG Deception.

2 hours ago, playmaker said:

It’s already been a tumultuous season for the club, with former coach John van ’t Schip resigning in January.

But Fornaroli is confident Michael Valkanis has the goods to take the team forward.

“Of course, for me, John van’t Schip is special because when I come for the first time he helped me a lot, he put me the captain this year,” he said.

“So first of all I need to say thank you for John.

“But Michael continued the project and also it’s great for us we started this year with Michael so we know him, he know us also.

“He’s a great coach, he thinks about football all the time.

“We’re happy with Michael as the coach this year.”

Proof of mind control with players believing the Great MCFG Deception.

Just out of curiosity, what else would you expect him say??? :facepalm:

• Like 6

Just now, playmaker said:

Better off saying nothing about the issue than lying.

You mean when asked about his coach he should say "no comment"? That's the same as condemning him.

Players and other club employees have to give interviews from time to time. Unless they want to be "ex-" pretty quickly they have to toe the club line.

I don't know where you work Playmaker, but I'll think you'll find it's the same everywhere. Bad mouth the boss and you won't get too far.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

You mean when asked about his coach he should say "no comment"? That's the same as condemning him.

Players and other club employees have to give interviews from time to time. Unless they want to be "ex-" pretty quickly they have to toe the club line.

I don't know where you work Playmaker, but I'll think you'll find it's the same everywhere. Bad mouth the boss and you won't get too far.

I am sure it wasn't a direct question, anyway we will let the team continue with the delusional narrative of 'we should have won every game because our game plan is great, our coaches are great, we train well and if we lose its no ones fault.'

If Bruno was asked a question directly he should have said,  'sorry I hava the very bada English, F$@K OFF', and be done with it.

29 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Reading into player interviews is just as bad as reading into press conferences. 

Exactly, it wouldn't be any different to when a team wins a trophy and they get handed a card with what to say and to thank the Octopus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

And also taking forum discussions too seriously.

I take the forum very seriously indeed. It's one of the few places where I can take part in discussions from a life-time fan's perspective and get valued opinions from people from various different demographics.

• Like 1

Caceres: This time of year, momentum matters

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/caceres-this-time-of-year-momentum-matters/nj388dnqdr7j1xzr380p79smp

Back-to-back wins has come as no surprise to City midfielder Anthony Caceres as his side put in a commanding performance against Newcastle on Saturday.

The 4-0 win that was headlined by Bruno Fornaroli’s double saw Caceres play an important role in the contest, most notably his cheeky dink over the Jets defence that saw Nick Fitzgerald finish with aplomb.

His performance – along with that of his team – has the talented playmaker excited for what his side can bring to the closing rounds of the season and the Finals Series.

“It was a great performance by the boys, we all put in a good shift,” Caceres said.

“There’s good signs that we are starting to get some good consistency in our game and the scoreboard doesn’t lie. It was a well-deserved win and we want to keep improving and hopefully deliver more as finals approach.

“This is the time of year momentum matters. Results matter, wins matter so we’re looking to continue that form.

“Obviously a 4-0 win helps the confidence a lot and we’ve got to keep striving to improve that. We want to finish with at least a home final where we have our fans behind us all the way. We’ll continue to build on that and look to hit the finals with strength.”

It hasn’t been smooth sailing for the midfielder this season. His new-found confidence in the starting line-up has seen City’s number 10 play a vital role his side’s impressive run of form and Caceres is confident he’ll shine brighter with time.

“The first half of the season was turbulent for me. I had some good moments then found myself out of the team,” he said.

“Since Mickey [Valkanis] has come in, I’ve been given the opportunity to get some consistency in my game and I’m happy to be playing, happy to be part of this great team and looking to keep improving my performances every week.

“If you look at the last few games where I have been playing in a more advanced role, I’ve been involved in a few goals and grabbed one myself in Wellington.

“I’m always looking to go out more and try to create a bit more but there’s good signs the team is really starting to gel at the moment so I find my role quite exciting and it’s a good challenge to have the responsibility to create more and more every week.”

He’ll get the chance to do that again this Friday night as City take on the Wanderers at Spotless Stadium and the man who grew up in Sydney’s west believes it will be another opportunity for his side to stamp their Championship credentials. See the match on Fox Sports 505 from 7.50pm.

------------------------------------------------------

Kilkenny lifts lid on City’s post-match ritual
Tuesday, 21 March 2017
Matt Dorman @Matt11Dorman

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/neil-kilkenny-lifts-lid-on-melbourne-citys-post-match-ritual/l9xfdodq40hi1eiswqwkqvc2

Combative midfielder Neil Kilkenny has explained Melbourne City’s unique post-match team huddle as a way for the “tight-knit” group to vent their emotions.

City only had cause for positivity on Saturday night after dispatching Newcastle Jets 4-0 at AAMI Park for their second straight win.

Veteran goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen led an impassioned all-in huddle immediately after the comfortable victory.

“We’re a close-knit group and it gets us together and gets the feelings out straight after the game,” Kilkenny told Fox Sports.

“We need to show we’re together.

“He was happy tonight, Thomas, because he got a clean sheet and we haven’t had many of them this season.”

Influential cameos from goalscorer Nick Fitzgerald and fellow winger Bruce Kamau underscored the depth at Michael Valkanis’ disposal as City firm for a top four finish.

“We know we’ve got a strong squad [and] players are going to miss out every week,” Kilkenny said.

“Everyone is fighting for positions. [It’] fantastic for Bruce and Nick to come on and do so well.

“I’m really happy for them because they have been working so hard this season for the group.”

4 minutes ago, haz said:

@xXCiTyZeNXx

You don't need to post the same thing in 4 different threads.

Oh i do. For the past 8 fucking years we have had no success exept a shitty FFA cup win.

JVS- no success

Aloisi-no success

Rehired JVS- WTF Y and also a shitty ffa cup title but besides that, no success

Valkanis -Fucking joke

Now Hodgson. This could be the coach who saves us.

So this is y i posted it 3 fucking times because i am already smelling more success then these pack of dickheads we have had. He has been a decent coach in europe and has had success in Europe and is probably the only decent coach we would ever have

9 minutes ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

Oh i do. For the past 8 fucking years we have had no success exept a shitty FFA cup win.

JVS- no success

Aloisi-no success

Valkanis -Fucking joke

So this is y i posted it 3 fucking times because i am already smelling more success then these pack of dickheads we have had. He has been a decent coach in europe and has had success in Europe and is probably the only decent coach we would ever have

Where's @thisphantomfortress and his ban hammer when you need him?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

JVS- no success

Aloisi-no success

Valkanis -Fucking joke

Do it again and I will ban you permanently - last warning 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Munn in Singapore.

"Melbourne City FC CEO Scott Munn attended a High Level Women’s Dialogue event in Singapore, which was led by Australia Minister for Foreign Affairs The Hon Julie Bishop MP."

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/city-ceo-attends-high-level-womens-dialogue-in-singapore/delttn124d591pc46axp0sqh7

In before 'Why wasnt he focusing on football and winning us the league? Munn OUT"

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Munn in Singapore.

"Melbourne City FC CEO Scott Munn attended a High Level Women’s Dialogue event in Singapore, which was led by Australia Minister for Foreign Affairs The Hon Julie Bishop MP."

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/city-ceo-attends-high-level-womens-dialogue-in-singapore/delttn124d591pc46axp0sqh7

We all know why he's really there...

safuwan-baharudin_1eapqqlm7k9q21q51wakj9

• Like 6

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Munn in Singapore.

'Singaporean and Australian business and government representatives to promote gender inclusive strategies for corporate boards.'

He is obviously considering a sex change so he can maintain his CEO position even though he is not the best person for the job.

Dickheads.

12 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Munn in Singapore.

Julie :wub:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...