Melbourne Football

Jonatan Germano

Red or Dead

Why did he start after only playing 45 min in the youth league??????

He hadn't even played a 90 min pre-season game since returning from injury.

Because like everything at this club it was believed there was a quick magic solution that would make all the problems go away.

Honestly Ramsay's previous efforts warranted a complete drop from the squad, Garrucio later proved that he is not much better than Ramsay so for me starting Germano was pretty much the best/only option if we wanted to try for a win. Unfortunately the guy has terrible biomechanics, is built extremely imbalanced and therefore gets injuries just by moving (Surely the club could have worked on these aspects over the last few years) - Long story short, recruitment also has to be questioned, all these guys are well known to the club so none of this should be a surprise and therefore these issues should have been dealt with by recruiting someone capable. I just dont see it happening with this with club until seasons end, and I hope I'm wrong on that.

Edited by Cinnamon

Yeah I have to question the decision to start him. I guess even the decision to play him. If he came on after an hour he would've injured himself anyway I think. It only took him about 25 minutes.

Poor from the coaching staff to pick him. He'd only played one half in an NYL match as a preseason. Seriously smacks of desperation.

Tbh he got skinned really badly at least twice in the 30 minutes he was on. He is no left back. I don't know where you would play him in the team currently. Probably in front of murdocca but he isn't really an attacking midfielder. The reality is that what we need is a Bruce djite to allow mate to play on the left, duff on the right and the existing midfield trio. Murdocca tries his all but really isn't good enough. God knows where a decent left back actually is

• Like 1

JVS said in the post match interview that Germano was only going to play 60 minutes at best, so with that the case they had to start him I guess.

He had been training with the senior squad for the past month and that he hadn't complained about any issues. Last week he had 45 minutes in the NYL without any problems.

So based in that information there was no reason why he shouldn't have played. Hindsight is a wonderful thing to say now that he wasn't right.

Unfortunately over the last season and now he has shown to be injury prone and with such small squads in the A-league there is no room for players, especially ones taking a VISA spot, to be on the sidelines.

• Like 1

JVS said in the post match interview that Germano was only going to play 60 minutes at best, so with that the case they had to start him I guess.

He had been training with the senior squad for the past month and that he hadn't complained about any issues. Last week he had 45 minutes in the NYL without any problems.

So based in that information there was no reason why he shouldn't have played. Hindsight is a wonderful thing to say now that he wasn't right.

Unfortunately over the last season and now he has shown to be injury prone and with such small squads in the A-league there is no room for players, especially ones taking a VISA spot, to be on the sidelines.

Sad to say it but he's done. He's been good for us. But as you mentioned he is taking up a valuable spot on our list. Can't afford to have someone on our list injured 95% of the time.

Such a pity, a fully fit Germano is one of the best players we have...

IMO that's completely irrelevant. Just look at his record - he does not get on the park often enough to be a productive member of a 23-man squad or one of five allowed overseas players.

You have to deal with what is, not what could be or might be.

So we release Walker, Mitchinson, Gerhardt and Vrankovic - all defenders may I point out again - and persist with Germano? It's absolute shit management like that that is one of the reasons that we are not successful as a football club. And what compounds the problem is that we're into our fifth season and we do not learn from what we have done before.

• Like 2

IMO that's completely irrelevant. Just look at his record - he does not get on the park often enough to be a productive member of a 23-man squad or one of five allowed overseas players.

So we release Walker, Mitchinson, Gerhardt and Vrankovic - all defenders may I point out again - and persist with Germano? It's absolute shit management like that that is one of the reasons that we are not successful as a football club. And what compounds the problem is that we're into our fifth season and we do not learn from what we have done before.

"Don't try to change people. Change the people"

Aloisi gave Germano a contract extension and signed him up for 2 seasons on April 8th 2013 after the 2012/13 season ended (http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2013/04/08/3886694/veterans-depart-ramsay-arrives-as-melbourne-heart-begin). So there wasn't a possibility to release him,and it wasn't a choice to persist with Germano.

Edited by Murfy1

Germano reminds me of skit from the 12th Man

After Bruce Reid has snapped his half and decides to sticky tape himself back together.

Bill:

"He may be showing a ton of courage Tony but he's showing he's got no fu.cking brains if you ask me. You can't just tape yourself up and expect to keep bowling to the best of your ability."

Tony: "Oh and that was a very good ball from Bruce Reid as well, but the stickytape has come away has it?"

Bill (laughing): "Of course it f*****g has Tony you w****r. Silly bastard".
Tony: "Oh and this is a real blow. Reid has snapped in half again. Oh, and look out the arms have come off too, and his head as well, has it? Yes! Well Bruce Reid really gone to pieces now".
Bill (laughing still): "He knows what hes doing, does he Tony, you 'f*****g wanker"?
Tony: "Well, this really is tragic for Reid".
Bill: "Bulls**t! It serves him right. I don't know who's more f*****g stupid Tony, you or him".

• Like 3

Germano reminds me of skit from the 12th Man

After Bruce Reid has snapped his half and decides to sticky tape himself back together.

Bill:

"He may be showing a ton of courage Tony but he's showing he's got no fu.cking brains if you ask me. You can't just tape yourself up and expect to keep bowling to the best of your ability."

Tony: "Oh and that was a very good ball from Bruce Reid as well, but the stickytape has come away has it?"

Bill (laughing): "Of course it f*****g has Tony you w****r. Silly bastard".

Tony: "Oh and this is a real blow. Reid has snapped in half again. Oh, and look out the arms have come off too, and his head as well, has it? Yes! Well Bruce Reid really gone to pieces now".

Bill (laughing still): "He knows what hes doing, does he Tony, you 'f*****g wanker"?

Tony: "Well, this really is tragic for Reid".

Bill: "Bulls**t! It serves him right. I don't know who's more f*****g stupid Tony, you or him".

Bruce Reid at least didn't take a Visa Spot when he was injured.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

He was signed on September 5th 2011, which means he could have played a total of 94 games and counting:

2011/12: 27

2012/13: 27

2013/14: 27

2014/15: 13 (8 + 5 more since Miller's been signed as his injury replacement).

He has played a part in only 46; that's 49% of total games! For a Visa player that's shithouse!

I like the guy, he's a good player and I want to see him play, but if he can't get his body right at 26 years of age, he's not going to get any better with age.

As much as it hurts me to say this, I think it's time we cut our losses and sign a creative Visa player who will play more like 99% of games, not 49%!

And no, not Miller!

He was signed on September 5th 2011, which means he could have played a total of 94 games and counting:

He has played a part in only 46; that's 49% of total games! For a Visa player that's shithouse!

I like the guy, he's a good player and I want to see him play, but if he can't get his body right at 26 years of age, he's not going to get any better with age.

As much as it hurts me to say this, I think it's time we cut our losses and sign a creative Visa player who will play more like 99% of games, not 49%!

And no, not Miller!

yes I like that.

Someone like Koren.

And no, not Miller!

Do you know the minutes he's played? My gut feel is that stat would make these numbers look even worse. Such a shame to see a guy with talent and endeavor not be able to realise his potential.

And no, not Miller!

Do you know the minutes he's played? My gut feel is that stat would make these numbers look even worse. Such a shame to see a guy with talent and endeavor not be able to realise his potential.

2011/12: 1637 - 22 games (inc. 1 final). 3 goals.

2012/13: 972 - 13 games. 1 goal => First game was Rd12 on 22/12/2012 home to Visitors (1-2).

2013/14: 694 - 10 games. 2 goals => First game was Rd16 on 25/01/2014 away to AUFC (2-2).

2014/15: 27 - 1 game in Rd 4

I don't have time to work out which games he started in and which ones he came off the bench! Lol

• 4 weeks later...

Am hoping he'll get a decent run of luck with injuries, whenever germano plays the majority of a game (rare I know) we tend to do well. The guy bleeds for the shirt, always has time for the fans and is responsible for the best goal celebration of the heart era. He's the perfect sub for Melling IMO, someone who can play 25-30 minutes harrassing, tackling and generally being a nuisance in midfield. He's good for a couple of goals a year as well.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he turns the corner injury-wise under a new conditioning regime.

• 4 weeks later...