Melbourne Football

Jonatan Germano

Red or Dead

Got put in keeper for the last couple of minutes for the youth team today. Didn't see the game but I'm assuming he's already better than Redmayne

Made a save. Should have seen him come out to a through ball, better than any keeper we have, AND he had the presence of mind to let it run through his legs and out for a goal kick. Club legend.

• Like 2

Why the hell did we risk an injury prone senior player in goals for the NYL? Should be wrapped in cotton wool once he'd done his minutes. Imagine the conversation for Palatasides trying to explain how Germano is out for another few weeks having stretched to reach one low at the near post.

Why the hell did we risk an injury prone senior player in goals for the NYL? Should be wrapped in cotton wool once he'd done his minutes. Imagine the conversation for Palatasides trying to explain how Germano is out for another few weeks having stretched to reach one low at the near post.

Why not?

Odds are he'll tear his hammy walking to his car anyway.

Btw it was just for injury time.

Ok, desperate times, desperate measures.

I would bring Germano straight in for Melling (dropping Koren to bench for Retre).  Hopefully he can hold off getting his next injury until we get a few more guys back.  Based on previous season he's due for his customary run of about 5 games without getting injured to give us all hope, time to use that now.

I do remember Germano coming into the side around the same time last year and playing some pretty solid football.

Will always have a soft spot for this bloke.

Can be as frustrating as Ramsay but for different reasons. That being that Ramsay is useless but fit. Germano has more than enough talent to be in the match day squad at least, but his body just isnt up to it.

I do remember Germano coming into the side around the same time last year and playing some pretty solid football.

Can be as frustrating as Ramsay but for different reasons. That being that Ramsay is useless but fit. Germano has more than enough talent to be in the match day squad at least, but his body just isnt up to it.

You just cannot afford to have a player as injury-prone as Germano in a squad limited to a certain number of players. It's as simple as that.

You just cannot afford to have a player as injury-prone as Germano in a squad limited to a certain number of players. It's as simple as that.

No totally agree. Not saying we should keep him on at all.

All im saying pretty much is that its a shame that his body let him down.

I think that there is broad agreement on this. BUT would you have in the squad for the coming match against AU? Would you risk being one player down due to injury (he only lasted less than 20 minutes last time) on match day or would you rather risk Ramsay and being one player down all through the match?

I think that there is broad agreement on this. BUT would you have in the squad for the coming match against AU? Would you risk being one player down due to injury (he only lasted less than 20 minutes last time) on match day or would you rather risk Ramsay and being one player down all through the match?

Are you taking about his first game back earlier on this season when he started and broke down early?

If so that wasnt the guys fault. Played 15 minutes in the YL after being out for a long period and should have been no where need the starting 11.

I think he's played a couple of youth games now. Maybe not start him, but i'd def have the bloke on the bench.

Edited by [LIBBA]

God no! I thought we have seenthe last of Ramsey. Would not play him even if it means getting a bench warmer from the yoof team.

Even would have you playing first Tony :)

Hey man, l played football for 20 years and made it to the reserves at Melbourne Knights, played for Victoria in futsal and was never injured in my whole playing career. Having said all that, I'd crap all over Ramsey's performance any day even after giving up the game for so long :)

Saw Shonny last Thursday night having a kick with his son by the Marybyrnong River. Was really trying hard to teach the little fella how to header a ball and chest a ball, was failing miserably unfortunanetly.

Should be teaching his children instead how to play three games in 3 years and get payed to do it.

Saw Shonny last Thursday night having a kick with his son by the Marybyrnong River. Was really trying hard to teach the little fella how to header a ball and chest a ball, was failing miserably unfortunanetly.

Should be teaching his children instead how to play three games in 3 years and get payed to do it.

It will show up when they go to do work experience, and the first thing they do is ask for the Workcover form.

• 3 weeks later...

One swallow does not make a summer. One full match does not make a season. Even if he would no longer be a visa player, the salary and numbers caps mean we just cannot afford players such as Germano. Many of us wish it could be different but unfortunately but that's the way it is.

• Like 1

Become Aus Citizen or fark off

Will Aussie citizenship be some magic elixir that will stop him being injured?

No, but I think if he's cheap and a dinky di Aussie, it's worth consideration. He'd probably be on about the same money as Ramsay if he stayed and a lot less the Dugandzic. I think a one-year deal wouldn't be the worst idea.

One swallow does not make a summer. One full match does not make a season. Even if he would no longer be a visa player, the salary and numbers caps mean we just cannot afford players such as Germano. Many of us wish it could be different but unfortunately but that's the way it is.

Wasn't there speculation somewhere here that he was only on a bit more than the minimum? Like 60-65k or something? If he's costing us less than 100k and not taking up a visa spot, I don't have a problem with a one-year deal.

• Like 1

Wasn't there speculation somewhere here that he was only on a bit more than the minimum? Like 60-65k or something? If he's costing us less than 100k and not taking up a visa spot, I don't have a problem with a one-year deal. Exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Germano is one of my favourite players because he gets it done. He isn't classy or particularly skilful but he makes a big difference when he plays.

Last season he put in a string of good performances but inevitably broke down. It's hard not expect the same thing to happen again.

• Like 1

I just think if you fill your list with a blend of cripples and journeymen you are asking for trouble. Germano might have a good season next year but what club would take the chance?

That's fair enough, but I think two obvious non-visa injury gambles (Kennedy and Germano...will we have any others?) is ok. It depends on the alternatives, really. I mean, I like Mass Murdocca as a squad player: he can come on and do a job, he's a hard worker, seems to accept his role without complaint...I'm sure he'd be good on the training track and he'd set a good example for the younger guys...he just seems like one of those experienced players that every team needs in its squad. But, if it came down to one Australian spot left (and identical money) and it was between Murdocca and a naturalised Germano, who would you take? I reckon I'd stick with Murdocca, but I think a lot of others would roll the dice with Germano.

IMO two out of 23 - i.e.10% of your squad (ignoring the "+3" younger players that you're allowed) -  being known injury-prone risks is a ridiculous risk to take. You are already accepting that you have a lower chance of success than other clubs. These are the sorts of stupid decisions we've taken in the past - and that's part of the reason why we are where we are. It is madness to keep repeating what you've done before and expect the results to be different.

• Like 1

one half of the problem is gambling on an injury prone player, the half that compounds the risk though is when that player is a key role or position player and the team has little depth in that position - then it becomes a real issue. We have missed Germano less this season that we missed Engelaar last season for instance

• Like 1