Melbourne Football

Jonatan Germano

Red or Dead

I would like to see a lot more games like Friday night before we considered Germano for a new contract.  Would also need a good medical report.

Apart from his lengthy injury stints he has put in some real shockers- needs to show that's behind now to justify a visa (or indeed any other) spot.

• Like 1

Germano came to Australia and Melbourne Heart in July 2011, and I understand a person can become a citizen after 4 years, so Germano should be able to get Aus citizenship by July 2015.

If he keeps up his current form, and especially his fitness, I'd be fine with the club re-signing Germano for next season (as a VISA player), and then re-signing him as an Australian player in July 2015 for the season after next (2015-16).

Not sure on this. People who have working visas (say in IT) and then wish to obtain permanent residency (PR) have to apply and show cause that they have the required skills. If they are granted PR they still have to return to their country of origin prior to receiving the actual VISA. Students who apply for PR do not have to return to their home countries to obtain PR. How this applies to sports visas I have no idea. Citizenship can only occur after a person has been granted PR, has lived in Australia for a minimum of four years and has not committed any crimes. he may well have to obtain a standard visa which he has no certainty to get. I suppose the best that he can hope for is that the club give him another contract.

Never really had a chance under JA. Only player who I can say gives everything he has in every minute of every game (Mass also tbh). Can get citizenship soon, closest thing we have to a cult hero I pray we keep him until he retires.

EDIT - He's exactly what we've been missing this season, physical in the midfield, mobile, perfect box to box midfielder for the A-League, suits Engelaar & Murdocca to a tee.

It's amazing the difference we're starting to see now with a fitness coach who doesn't destroy our players, plus a quality coach, and in the future some quality training facilities.

For me, Germano makes a huge difference to our side with his energy and work rate. And seems to regularly pop up for goals. Really hoping he stays on.

• Like 2

We are a fickle bunch, let's see if he can stay fit and play out the season, then assess his contribution and how it fits in with plans for the team next season before we make any decision.

I'm in the same boat, if he plays out the rest of the season i would give him a contract, but this bloke to me atm has just missed too many games to justify getting another contract.

I would like to see a lot more games like Friday night before we considered Germano for a new contract. Would also need a good medical report.

Apart from his lengthy injury stints he has put in some real shockers- needs to show that's behind now to justify a visa (or indeed any other) spot.

For arguments sake could you list the games Germano has started that have been 'real shockers'?

• Like 1

I would like to see a lot more games like Friday night before we considered Germano for a new contract. Would also need a good medical report.

Apart from his lengthy injury stints he has put in some real shockers- needs to show that's behind now to justify a visa (or indeed any other) spot.

For arguments sake could you list the games Germano has started that have been 'real shockers'?

Nearly everyone last season

This guy was signed three years ago and I still don't know the correct way to pronounce his name. There is three different pronunciations that I've heard fans/commentators/announcers/club representatives use:

•Grr-marn-o

•Jer-marn-o

•Her-marn-o

Which one is correct?

Edited by Jimmy

This guy was signed three years ago and I still don't know the correct way to pronounce his name. There is three different pronunciations that I've heard fans/commentators/announcers/club representatives use:

•Grr-marn-o

•Jer-marn-o

•Her-marn-o

Which one is correct?

Its pronounced Her-muno

My misses is latin so that coming directly from her.

Edited by [LIBBA]
  • Like 2

So much respect for this bloke. Was screaming at players to drop back yesterday in the dying moments. Seems to hate losing more than the rest of the team.

No surprises that our form has picked up dramatically since his inclusion into the squad. Just praying he stays for many years to come.

^^^^ this x2 ^^^^

He sparks the midfield and his defensive work rate is A1

A good manner gets the best out a team. If he thinks something is missing and he can't get a fringe player to fill the void then he goes to the transfer windows to achieve this.

Let's hope we get a manager that knows what's going on!

Shonny has been a shining light under palatsidis. Could almost attribute his return to form to pala. Wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't miss a game for the rest of the season.

From memory, he trialled for heart, out of position, as a full back, and we signed him. I think we are getting the best out of him in his native position ATM.

Germano is the same as all the other players coming out of contract, possibly more so because he is a visa player. He has to be assessed on whether he's seen as a player for our future.

The vision of our new owners was stated quite clearly on 23rd January:

'Ferran Soriano, CEO of Manchester City, said: “We are excited about the opportunity to make Melbourne Heart one of the most successful football clubs in Australia and throughout the region."

The decisions are going to be difficult. To realise that vision, changes are going to have to made right throughout the Heart organisation, because just to stay the same as we are now is most likely to result in the same sort of collective performances that we have seen up to now.

So, IMO the people calling for the retention of this player and that player need to think very carefully as to whether they really think they are the right players to take the club forward to silverware and into Asia. 

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is backtracking a bit, but was he accredited with the goal vs Nux, cos it really didn't look like it deflected off him?

IMO pretty much everyone in the stadium thought that goal was Dugandzic's. If Germano touched it you would have needed "Hot Spot" and a third umpire to make the decision.

I know this is backtracking a bit, but was he accredited with the goal vs Nux, cos it really didn't look like it deflected off him?

IMO pretty much everyone in the stadium thought that goal was Dugandzic's. If Germano touched it you would have needed "Hot Spot" and a third umpire to make the decision.

Yeh fair call, it must have had the faintest of touches going past his jersey on the way in, probably claimed the goal cos he has a goal bonus in his contract.

One thing about this guy - he has such a hunger to score goals.  I love seeing him get in the box because I know he will be hovering around looking for that loose ball or whatever.  He might have got lucky with taking that goal off Mate, but then maybe his slight touch might have confused the 'keeper? (haven't seen it on replay) 

• 3 months later...

So, amazingly, Jonny has managed to get this far through pre-season without injuring himself.  If he can keep it up he'll start the season in the best shape he's been in for at least 2 years.  In theory this should prepare him for his best ever season at Heart.

Given that what are people's predictions for his season?

TBH at this stage I think a lot depends on who we sign.  If we add in midfield a Marquee and a world class loan player, he's going to struggle to get the last spot ahead of Mooy et al.  He came to us as a right back, but we've never seen him play there, so I'm reserving my judgement about his potential for that position.

So, amazingly, Jonny has managed to get this far through pre-season without injuring himself.  If he can keep it up he'll start the season in the best shape he's been in for at least 2 years.  In theory this should prepare him for his best ever season at Heart.

Given that what are people's predictions for his season?

TBH at this stage I think a lot depends on who we sign.  If we add in midfield a Marquee and a world class loan player, he's going to struggle to get the last spot ahead of Mooy et al.  He came to us as a right back, but we've never seen him play there, so I'm reserving my judgement about his potential for that position.

Should be our starting RB no questions asked. We're going nowhere with hoffman at RB and i think we'll add too many midfield pieces for him to start their so i think RB will become his niche. He's too good of a player when healthy to be starting on the bench.