Melbourne Football

Jonatan Germano

Red or Dead

He's 26, occupies one of the 23 senior squad places and one of the 5 visa player places. You have to put his availability into this context.

MHFC is not a convalescent home for good blokes. If we want to be successful on the pitch, then we have to do what successful football clubs do. And because squad numbers are limited we have to make harder decisions than many other clubs when it comes to players.

All business is like that really. No use having a salesman who never makes a sale, or a typist who cannot spell. It's the way the world is.

• Like 3

In my view he is the sort of visa player that is damaging football in Australia. Basically a foreign journeyman who has been given a contract because he'll work for less than a comparable local.

Visa players should standout for their class and capability. Its instructive to compare our visa players with those of Brisbane, who just happen to be the league leaders. Of our visa players only Engelaar (who I am yet to see) is worthy of his spot on the squad.

• Like 1

Starting for the Youth today.

Hopefully he gets 60+ minutes and can find his way back in the main squad for added depth.

With news JVS is going to include Garrucio, Mauk and Vrankovic into the main squad I think the club has finally conceded finals are out of the question and will look towards the future. Hopefully that includes Walker, Retre and Schroen also. Need to see these guys over the last 10 games to give them experience and see if they can be A League players.

A lot of players on 1 year deals who aren't going to be around next season. They shouldn't be the priority.

What the club need to do, whoever is in charge is promote the youth and whoever we want around next year, Engelaar, Kewell, Garrucio, Dugandzic etc sign them up for next season as soon as possible. We need some sort of stability at the club.

I'd imagine after the year Engelaar has had, would he accept less next season to not be our marquee player after he got paid this season to be injured? Would open us up to get another marquee and an Australian Marquee.

A foundation of: Engelaar, Kewell, Australian Marquee (eg. Josh Kennedy) and Marquee player would set us in the right direction.

Guys like Williams, Gol Gol, Mifsud, Weilart would clear the books considerably.

In all honesty I'd want to see Kisnorbo given a good go now and retained for next season. Think another pre season and better go another it he'd be a beast for us.

Kisnorbo, Engelaar, Kewell and Kennedy along with another marquee and couple of new Visa players and if done right the improvement could be anything for us.

Germano I don't think should stay on as a Visa player next season.

Not convinced on Kisnorbo at all. I read between the lines in that recent article that he wants to move on if not played regularly. A sort of hint of an ultimatum.

If Kewell can last the distance and would like to play on, yes, keep him. He has so much to offer to the players around him.

I also think we need to get a really top-class keeper. Wouldn't mind using a visa place if we could get the right one. Otherwise make Birighitti an offer he can't refuse. He was impressive last night.

A "spine" of top-class keeper, Engelaar and Kewell would be really good.

Engelaar, Kewell and Kennedy along with another marquee

Jeez, you're gettin a bit greedy, son.

Kewell will not play on after the WC.

Asian Cup in Jan, and not all EU based players will be allowed to leave their respective clubs, could be a chance to play on.

• 2 weeks later...
Germano yearning for more following comeback

Friday, 31 January 2014

Melbourne Heart FC midfielder Jonatan Germano made his long-awaited return from injury against Adelaide United last weekend, and while he savoured the comeback, the Argentinean play-maker is yearning for more football.

Germano, who had suffered two set-backs this season with hamstring and calf injuries, came on against the Reds as a second-half substitute at Hindmarsh Stadium and played a promising 28 minutes.

While the South American originally made his return through the Club’s Foxtel National Youth League team, including a match in which he scored with his first touch against the Newcastle Jets youth a fortnight ago, he emphasised his pleasure in returning to first team action.

“I enjoyed playing again after a long time,” Germano told melbourneheartfc.com.au.

“It try to give 100 per cent on every ball and help the players all the time from inside and from outside the field as well.”

Melbourne Heart FC Head Coach John van’t Schip said it was positive to have ‘Shony’ - as he is affectionately know as by his teammates and fans alike – fit again.

"[it’s] very good to have Germano back, he brings something different to the team,” van’t Schip said on Thursday.

"He's very energetic, has a kind of South American aggressive way of playing in his style, we are happy that they are both [he and Orlando are] back."

It was a hard road for Germano, who said the Club and his teammates had helped him maintain confidence.

“It’s very good because the players and the coach give me [the] opportunity and confidence for building up my fitness and play, and I tried to take my chance to be fit,” Germano said.

“The coach and players treated me very well and I'm very grateful.

“The [medical staff] and the Club helped me a lot and I'm grateful today; I can only show it on the field making the best of my opportunity.

“I want play as many games possible; I want give everything for the Club, the coach, players and supporters."

Germano said it would be up to van’t Schip’s discretion as to whether he would be included in tonight’s squad of 16 against Sydney FC, but has firmly put his hand up for selection.

“You have to ask the JVS; I'm training so hard every single day to make the team,” Germano said.

“If the opportunity comes, I will take it and give my heart for the win.”

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Germano-yearning-for-more-following-comeback/84703

Edited by Murfy1

Never really had a chance under JA. Only player who I can say gives everything he has in every minute of every game (Mass also tbh). Can get citizenship soon, closest thing we have to a cult hero I pray we keep him until he retires.

EDIT - He's exactly what we've been missing this season, physical in the midfield, mobile, perfect box to box midfielder for the A-League, suits Engelaar & Murdocca to a tee.

Edited by MaliMate
  • Like 1

No questions about his ability when match fit, the biggest problem over 3 seasons is that this has only happened occasionally

Do you think that this is because we haven't had the resources to have good training facilities? Perhaps good recovery methods? In other words is it because he is prone to injury or is it the club that makes players prone to injury?

great performance, although he may have been offside for the goal (i'll have to check).

He did come back from an offside postion, but it came off the keeper so the commentators weren't sure. They said the other week the rule has changed that it doesn't matter who it comes off, but now they don't know. The refs blew offside from a throw in the other week though, so who knows what the hell is going on :/

Humble Germano happy with eventful return

Saturday, 1 February 2014 1:40 PM

00084785-leadimage.png

He may be humble and sometimes shy when it comes to facing the media, but Jonatan Germano let his feet do the talking in Friday night’s 2-1 win over Sydney FC as he registered a man-of-the-match performance.

A pivotal performer for the Red and White as a midfield prop – and despite losing midfielder partner Orlando Engelaar to a first-half red card – Germano illustrated his impact both in defensive midfield and in attack.

It was testament to Germano’s performance, and the team collectively, that the side recorded a gutsy display with 10-men for over 55 minutes of the encounter – with Germano’s equaliser in the 52nd minute an additional fillip.

PIC: Jonatan Germano (above), dedicates his goal to his wife and son, who are pictured on his t-shirt.

Germano was awarded the Tony Clark medal from officials from Victoria Police after the match, as part of last night's Blue Ribbon Cup, which was retained by Melbourne Heart.

Fronting the media on Saturday at the team’s recovery at St Kilda Beach, Germano dedicated his efforts to the team and said he was excited to be back in action after a season hampered by hamstring and calf injuries.

“It’s very nice, I think what is nice is that I come back from not playing in a long time and we win, [and] this is more important for us,” Germano said.

“I think playing against 11 men [with 10] against Sydney, [who] played and won 5-0 against [Melbourne] Victory last week, we showed we had a chance of winning.

“I think it is very difficult to play with 10 men, but John [van’t Schip] said to us ‘keep smart, confident, we play when we have the ball and we have a chance to attack’.”

While Germano was credited for his fantastic performance in his first full start of the season for Melbourne Heart, it was super sub David Williams who stole the headlines with a fantastic solo effort in the dying embers of the match.

“Amazing,” Germano said of Williams’ goal. “When he scored, I say thanks to God for this.”

“It was a good feeling; great for Davey, he missed last game through injury, but now he is in the squad, played very good and scored a goal.

“We still have a chance to make the top six and this is what we want. We want to win every game.”

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Humble-Germano-happy-with-eventful-return/84785

Edited by Murfy1

If he can see out the remainder of the season injury free he should have his contract renewed.

He does the small things better than anyone else and that showed last night for his goal. Always looking to find space when we have the ball and close it down when we don't.

I also get the feeling from watching him that the better the players are around him the better he gets. Some players are just like that. Some players look great in the crap level and step up and then get found out. Others look average but then step up in a higher level. I feel germano is one of these. I think he might be even better when we get some better players in. His biggest issue is injuries and that fact he's a visa player. If he can get citizenship then I think he'll be a great squad player to have.

Germano came to Australia and Melbourne Heart in July 2011, and I understand a person can become a citizen after 4 years, so Germano should be able to get Aus citizenship by July 2015.

If he keeps up his current form, and especially his fitness, I'd be fine with the club re-signing Germano for next season (as a VISA player), and then re-signing him as an Australian player in July 2015 for the season after next (2015-16).

• Like 2