Melbourne Football

League re-start (pseudo pre season)

Shahanga

1 minute ago, kingofhearts said:

We spoke too soon 😢

We did indeed. A point may still be enough from our last two games. More likely need to win one to be secure. But we'd have taken that joyfully a couple of weeks ago. We're in as good a position as we could have hoped. 

However, if this result holds, we've got ACL next season, assuming it happens at all. And that's a first. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Ideally, beat Adelaide and the job's done. But if we don't, by the time we get to the WU match, Wellington will have played their final match. We'll know exactly what we need to do. 

Let's hope we don't make it this hard for ourselves... We should dispatch Adelaide without fuss if we are to be considered championship material!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bt50 said:

ACL almost confirmed, 2 points needed to lock in 2nd.

You were a little optimistic with your unedited post - if Perth win both their remaining matches and we lose both hours they will finish third - they have the superior goal difference.

IMO we need just one point from two matches to be certain of entry into the ACL qualifiers. The ACL has always been my priority - sure it would be nice to win the Championship and enter that way, but in terms of the ACL it's no better than being the second-best Australian club in the league.

44 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

You were a little optimistic with your unedited post - if Perth win both their remaining matches and we lose both hours they will finish third - they have the superior goal difference.

IMO we need just one point from two matches to be certain of entry into the ACL qualifiers. The ACL has always been my priority - sure it would be nice to win the Championship and enter that way, but in terms of the ACL it's no better than being the second-best Australian club in the league.

I think I'd flip it around. I'd see finally getting to, and then winning, a GF as the more significant achievement. To win the seat, rightly or wrongly, is seen as a bigger deal than coming top of the league, and the biggest honour in this or any season. And it would certainly lay to rest the hoodoo of being one of the few remaining clubs in the league not to do so. ACL is then for me 'cherry on top' territory, and something I'll really look forward to being part of next season. My only regret, if we do achieve what we hope, is that we won't do so in Melbourne, in front of our own fans. These last few games, and the finals series to follow would really be something to savour if some of this was happening at AAMI in front of a real crowd. But the past is another country. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

I think I'd flip it around. I'd see finally getting to, and then winning, a GF as the more significant achievement. To win the seat, rightly or wrongly, is seen as a bigger deal than coming top of the league, and the biggest honour in this or any season. And it would certainly lay to rest the hoodoo of being one of the few remaining clubs in the league not to do so. ACL is then for me 'cherry on top' territory, and something I'll really look forward to being part of next season. My only regret, if we do achieve what we hope, is that we won't do so in Melbourne, in front of our own fans. These last few games, and the finals series to follow would really be something to savour if some of this was happening at AAMI in front of a real crowd. But the past is another country. 

Fair enough.I just think that this season is a bit of a mixed bag anyway - the clubs don't all have equivalent fixture lists for starters, and then the COV-19 situation and the final batch of matches all being played in NSW it's just that I think in these  circumstances it's best to secure ACL first and then if we can go on to win the GF so well and good.

Edited by jw1739

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Fair enough.I just think that this season is a bit of a mixed bag anyway - the clubs don't all have equivalent fixture lists for starters, and then the COV-19 situation and the final batch of matches all being played in NSW it's just that I think in these  circumstances it's best to secure ACL first and then if we can go on to win the GF so well and good.

Indeed, we may get to ACL first, which will be great. We may achieve both ACL and second at the same time. Both will be considerable successes, and then we can push on through the finals! And I'm delighted we've got some football to distract us in these horrible times. Above all, good wishes to you and everyone here. And utter joy that Victory have been so crap. 

• Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, Dezy94 said:

Screenshot_20200808-200515_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2ede3c5fa358c30435b3ea71aab668c1.jpgWikipedia says its official!! Huge moment for the club and worthy of celebrating after all the ways we managed to avoid qualification the past 4 years.

...... Just wait till the competition is cancelled

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

No-one knows what the future is for football as we've always known it. It's still a big moment for the club. Foundation members have waited 10 seasons for this.

Absolutely true, 

But every foundation member would have a nagging feeling that there is still possibilities for us not to achieve this.

But finishing second and playing some decent soccer shouldn't be ignored either, and going into the finals we a genuine chance.

3 hours ago, Jovan said:

Absolutely true, 

But every foundation member would have a nagging feeling that there is still possibilities for us not to achieve this.

But finishing second and playing some decent soccer shouldn't be ignored either, and going into the finals we a genuine chance.

I can't see any way that we can suddenly robbed of qualification other than a change in the rules that would allow Wellington to participate in the ACL. If we finish second in our own right even that could not occur.

Whether the ACL is held is an entirely different matter however, and IMO we won't know that for a while yet.

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I can't see any way that we can suddenly robbed of qualification other than a change in the rules that would allow Wellington to participate in the ACL. If we finish second in our own right even that could not occur.

Whether the ACL is held is an entirely different matter however, and IMO we won't know that for a while yet.

It really all depends when international travel starts up again, there is talks that Australia won’t open for another 6 to 8 months.

23 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

It really all depends when international travel starts up again, there is talks that Australia won’t open for another 6 to 8 months.

We'll have to open our State borders first. We were too late and too weak on our "second wave" response here in Victoria, and IMO it's going to be a long road back from where we are now. NSW looks dangerously close to its own second wave (why they haven't made masks compulsory yet I can't fathom), so I can't see State border restrictions being relaxed until around Christmas. 

2 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Stop playing your sons!

Agree. Never understand why coaches do this.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

We'll have to open our State borders first. We were too late and too weak on our "second wave" response here in Victoria, and IMO it's going to be a long road back from where we are now. NSW looks dangerously close to its own second wave (why they haven't made masks compulsory yet I can't fathom), so I can't see State border restrictions being relaxed until around Christmas. 

Agree. Never understand why coaches do this.

I've watched a fair bit of Perth, sure Castro is gone but the Popovic boys might be might young but they aren't up to it. They are missing Wüthrich badly, Malik has cost them a goal every game. For me Adelaide is the real dangerous outsider in the finals, I feel that Sydney, Wellington and Brisbane has all lost a little momentum.  

On 09/08/2020 at 2:38 PM, Mr MO said:

I've watched a fair bit of Perth, sure Castro is gone but the Popovic boys might be might young but they aren't up to it. They are missing Wüthrich badly, Malik has cost them a goal every game. For me Adelaide is the real dangerous outsider in the finals, I feel that Sydney, Wellington and Brisbane has all lost a little momentum.  

Agree. Sydney have taken their foot off and hopefully that carries through to the finals. If our performance against Sydney wasn't a 'flash in the pan' type result and we back it up tonight against Adelaide then we too will be serious contenders in the finals! 

48 minutes ago, haz said:

So tomorrow evening we need Wellington to either lose, draw, or win by a single goal?

If that happens ^, I hope we rest a few and give the #yoof some game time.

Winning by a single goal is only relevant if we lose by a single goal. Anymore and we'd fall below them.

IMO you put your usual XI out regardless against WU, albeit if you have any niggles then you let them have a spell. I think game time is probably king atm, particularly with such big breaks between games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

Winning by a single goal is only relevant if we lose by a single goal. Anymore and we'd fall below them.

IMO you put your usual XI out regardless against WU, albeit if you have any niggles then you let them have a spell. I think game time is probably king atm, particularly with such big breaks between games.

According to Ultimate A-League our current GD is +10 and Wellington's is +8, and we have scored 46 to their 38. As I see it they have to beat Newcastle by three goals to go ahead of us. Beat Newcastle by 2 or less and we stay second and we would have to be thrashed by WU to lose second from there.

Edited by jw1739

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

You were supremely confident a few days ago @bt50. How confident are you now that we well take second place?

Well for starters i was stating i was  'very confident' that we wouldnt miss ACL qualification, and we haven't. But with respect to 2nd;

Very. I dont think Wellington will beat Newy, but even so we were still very good for 60 odd minutes last night until a highly questionable red card turned the game on its head, and imo we were robbed of a winner at the end as well.
WU aren't particularly a team i hold any great fears of tbh, we match up really well against them and their defence sucks.
We could miss 2nd, its not implausible, but i think the odds are in our favour in terms of more likely than not.

3 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Well for starters i was stating i was  'very confident' that we wouldnt miss ACL qualification, and we haven't. But with respect to 2nd;

Very. I dont think Wellington will beat Newy, but even so we were still very good for 60 odd minutes last night until a highly questionable red card turned the game on its head, and imo we were robbed of a winner at the end as well.
WU aren't particularly a team i hold any great fears of tbh, we match up really well against them and their defence sucks.
We could miss 2nd, its not implausible, but i think the odds are in our favour in terms of more likely than not.

Apologies mate. I edited that post, but it appears that the edit hasn't made it.

Ultimate A-League has us with a GD of +10 and Wellington +8, and we have scored 46 to their 38. As I see it, Welly would have to beat Newcastle by 3 goals to overtake us, beat them by 2 or less and we are still superior on goals scored and would retain second place. We would then have to be thrashed by WU to lose second.

Is this how you also see it from here?

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Apologies mate. I edited that post, but it appears that the edit hasn't made it.

Ultimate A-League has us with a GD of +10 and Wellington +8, and we have scored 46 to their 38. As I see it, Welly would have to beat Newcastle by 3 goals to overtake us, beat them by 2 or less and we are still superior on goals scored and would retain second place. We would then have to be thrashed by WU to lose second.

Is this how you also see it from here?

We need a goal swing of 3 to go against us. So if Welly win by 1 and we lose by two, or they win by 2+ and we lose. So not necessarily a thrashing, but its an extra caveat with one goal margins thats for sure. They play first so we'll no what we need to do, if anything at all by the time the WU game rolls around.

For me Newy are actually a really good squad since the January window and would have been a contender if theyd had that the whole way through. I also think Welly have struggled a bit since the restart and will need to play really well to even get the three points to start with.

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Has anybody else noticed that ABC news isn’t addressing any of the A-League action of the night before anymore?

Out of all of them I thought they were pretty good in the past.

Yes. I noticed it a week or so ago. Even the delayed news has been minimal. And no-one other than on this Forum seems to have twigged that we have qualified for the ACL qualifiers, irrespective of whether we finish second or third.

27 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Yes. I noticed it a week or so ago. Even the delayed news has been minimal. And no-one other than on this Forum seems to have twigged that we have qualified for the ACL qualifiers, irrespective of whether we finish second or third.

On the ABC news channel the results were prominent all morning along the bottom of the screen, but there was no reporting in the sports bulletins. I suspect Foxtel are playing silly buggers with the video clips. I imagine WU must be pretty aggrieved since their achieving finals football in their first season is a significant story. Anyway, up the Jets, at least for today.