Melbourne Football

League re-start (pseudo pre season)

Shahanga

Excellent article just now by talking city discussing most of the issues covering us re-starting. Obviously a few challenges but nothing insurmountable.

I note we have one player overseas but no mention of Erick’s whereabouts. It’ll be very disappointing if we don’t see him back at Bundoora for the resumption.

9 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Excellent article just now by talking city discussing most of the issues covering us re-starting. Obviously a few challenges but nothing insurmountable.

I note we have one player overseas but no mention of Erick’s whereabouts. It’ll be very disappointing if we don’t see him back at Bundoora for the resumption.

It’s Luna who is overseas I know that but not the whereabouts of Erick. Would like a statement by the club 

6 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

It’s Luna who is overseas I know that but not the whereabouts of Erick. Would like a statement by the club 

Of course it's our one decent VISA!

Also surely Hendry will be healthy by the time the season starts again?

21 hours ago, moops said:

They actually are more worried about the inability of the people in the VAR box to be able to be distanced while the virus persists.

There is an item that suggests that the English Premier League could finish their season in OZ.  An international French language newspaper le Petit Journal https://lepetitjournal.com/melbourne/football-la-saison-premier-league-pourrait-se-terminer-en-australie-279989 says

En raison de la pandémie de coronavirus, la première division anglaise a été suspendue depuis la mi-mars. Les responsables cherchent maintenant à redémarrer. L'agent anglais Gary Williams, vivant actuellement à Perth a déclaré avoir parlé aux chefs de la Premier Ligue et leur a présenté l'option de reprendre la saison en Australie-Occidentale.

2 hours ago, mjake1234 said:

There is an item that suggests that the English Premier League could finish their season in OZ.  An international French language newspaper le Petit Journal https://lepetitjournal.com/melbourne/football-la-saison-premier-league-pourrait-se-terminer-en-australie-279989 says

En raison de la pandémie de coronavirus, la première division anglaise a été suspendue depuis la mi-mars. Les responsables cherchent maintenant à redémarrer. L'agent anglais Gary Williams, vivant actuellement à Perth a déclaré avoir parlé aux chefs de la Premier Ligue et leur a présenté l'option de reprendre la saison en Australie-Occidentale.

Not going to happen. Literally 0 chance. That 'rumour' started from a perth-based player agent and was published in The Sun, so there's no credible backing of it anyway. 

On 15/05/2020 at 11:14 AM, CityBoyz said:

Surely Windbichler or Hendry will be fit by Resumption of the season 

Which presents a conundrum if they're both fit, since Hendry is Windbichler's injury replacement. And we have Delbridge and Griffiths who has done well as a CB as well on the right side and Good on the left 

1 hour ago, Le Hack said:

Which presents a conundrum if they're both fit, since Hendry is Windbichler's injury replacement. And we have Delbridge and Griffiths who has done well as a CB as well on the right side and Good on the left 

Given all those options, call me controversial but I'd be shipping Delbridge out. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Given all those options, call me controversial but I'd be shipping Delbridge out. 

Not that I disagree but the problem is that Windbichler and Hendry are Visas. We can only have five so you would have to take five of those two, and Luna, Noone, Berenguer, and Susaeta. Who would you not keep? I think we'd probably have to remove one of the CBs, noting that Hendry, Berenguer, Susaeta only have contracts up to 31 May 2020

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

For this season I don't think we can do that. Hendry is an injury replacement. If Windbichler is fit, then Hendry has to be the one who is "released" although where he is now and what are the arrangements for his rehab may mean that he stays in Melbourne.

Also we don't know what the PFA and FFA have agreed on contracts that expire on 31st May.

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

I can’t see it happening. I also don’t think it’s a good idea. He’s an Australian player at his peak and while he has his deficiencies (I’ve been consistent on that point), I don’t think we could do much better in terms of replacing him with another Australian on the same salary.

If Windbichler is fit then I’m guessing Hendry is gone but at this point it’s just a wild guess. The contracts will be extended soon and we will find out. 

Edit: looks like @jw1739 beat me to it!

Edited by Harrison
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Harrison said:

I can’t see it happening. I also don’t think it’s a good idea. He’s an Australian player at his peak and while he has his deficiencies (I’ve been consistent on that point), I don’t think we could do much better in terms of replacing him with another Australian on the same salary.

If Windbichler is fit then I’m guessing Hendry is gone but at this point it’s just a wild guess. The contracts will be extended soon and we will find out. 

Edit: looks like @jw1739 beat me to it!

By “ship out”, I reckon he means we bench him.

22 hours ago, NewConvert said:

There is an unfounded optimism that Windbichler is fit and likely to remain fit. Sadly, all evidence points to the contrary.

Erick was pretty clear he had a long term injury and was done for the season, with no chance of a comeback.

Whatever is wrong, it sounded pretty serious.

telegraph saying players are being told/asked to take %80 pay cut. And Lucy Zelic on TWG saying that she spoke to someone "in the know" who says that 3 clubs don't want the season to be completed. Money will be the determining factor in the end. That might be fine for MCFC with their coffers but the rest of the clubs at the lower end cant exist with no income. Slater saying August, but IMO the players who line up to play will be vastly different to the start of the season for some clubs. This will mean the outcome is not a real reflection of the game especially mid and lower table fight for finals spots. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, citymad said:

telegraph saying players are being told/asked to take %80 pay cut. And Lucy Zelic on TWG saying that she spoke to someone "in the know" who says that 3 clubs don't want the season to be completed. Money will be the determining factor in the end. That might be fine for MCFC with their coffers but the rest of the clubs at the lower end cant exist with no income. Slater saying August, but IMO the players who line up to play will be vastly different to the start of the season for some clubs. This will mean the outcome is not a real reflection of the game especially mid and lower table fight for finals spots. 

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/a-league-players-hit-back-after-being-asked-to-take-reported-80-per-cent-pay-cut

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Should we really see it as a pay cut? Presuming that they have been fully paid for full season whilst sitting at home, they are offered an additional 20% to finish off the last couple of weeks. Plus all expenses paid for in regards to the location of this football hub.

I’m not sure how the contracts work but past May in off season are players getting paid?

Edited by Mr MO

IMO there's a distinct element of farce about this proposed restart. I'm thinking that if it takes place the final positions on the ladder will be no more reflective of the season than the positions when the league had to shut down. 

Yeah, nah. It's hardly decimation. Victory will still be shit and Sydney will win the thing. As usual there's plenty in the press with a vested interest in claiming the sky is falling in (good news does not sell), but it'll just be good to watch some football. A little slice of vaguely normal in a thoroughly weird year. 

• Like 2

Latest news is that Fox are threatening the FFA with law suit if the FFA do not accept the so called offer from Fox to take a very large cut of payments for the tv rights . 

Fox is 21 Billion in the red . If the FFA accepts the cut it would cost approx $88 million per year for the rest of the contract duration.

8 minutes ago, johnno cpfc said:

Latest news is that Fox are threatening the FFA with law suit if the FFA do not accept the so called offer from Fox to take a very large cut of payments for the tv rights . 

Fox is 21 Billion in the red . If the FFA accepts the cut it would cost approx $88 million per year for the rest of the contract duration.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/fox-sports-multi-million-dollar-roadblock-to-a-league-restart

13 hours ago, IssySG said:

Just in case you guys forgot

We're gonna win the league

Don't know about you guys but I'm not too keen winning our first championship in the current conditions.

Someone hear obviously has a monkey paw.

Edited by haz