Melbourne Football

100% Alcohol Topic

MKD

Saw there was only a brief beer thread and thought I'd step it up with a topic dedicated to all alcoholic beverages, from frothies, to vino, and even malo viski malo coca cola, etc. After yesterday's away performance we could probably all use a few as well.

Post your reviews, recommendations and any other comments. I'll kick it off.

Jim Beam Devil's Cut + Jim Beam Honey (Bourbon):

I went to Bali recently and brought back a few bottles of bourbon (gotta love duty free). One of the drinks I purchased was the Jim Beam Devil's Cut, which I had been meaning to try for quite some time. I usually prefer drinking on the rocks, and this drink provides a unique taste. I don't know any of the terms the pros use, but it has a strong oak taste which is relatively different to what I usually have. Pretty decent drink that I'd recommended to those who are looking for something a bit different.

4 thumbs up for Jim Beam Devil's Cut.  :up:  :up:  :up:  :up: 

jim-beam-devils-cut.jpg

The other Jim Beam bottle I bought from Indonesia was the Honey one. Very sweet, similar to your generic honey bourbons. Isn't that strong, but provides for an easy drink.

3 thumbs up for Jim Beam Honey.  :up:  :up:  :up: 

Kraken (Rum):

This drink is quality. Haven't been around the block when it comes to rum, but I'd definitely recommend this. At around $55 per 700ml bottle it isn't something you'd get all the time, but it's worth trying. Our family released the Kraken around Christmas time 2012, and it didn't last too many days. It also reminded me of the days of Age of Mythology, also a quality game.

4 thumbs up for the Kraken.  :up:  :up:  :up:  :up: 

rum_kra2.jpg

5/5 * Drinks for the ultimate Chojek:

Now for some of the more classic, Balkanski drinks. These are a MUST to any Balkanite and common for most Eastern Euro ethnics. Being passionate about these drinks is certainly not a crime, and most likely a blessing in disguise. Aristotle noted that an assortment of these drinks were delivered weekly to the top of Mount Olympus by means of donkey back. These particular drinks were designed for the Gods in ancient times, Kings during the middle ages, and now for Chojeks in the modern era.

Skopsko Pivo (Beer):

Let's start with Skopsko. Found at any decent outer-Northern suburb bottle shop. If it has Skopsko, you know the shop is worthy of entering. Commonly spotted in Thommo. 

When it comes to premium quality imported beer, you're looking at the best of the best. A hidden gem, which will result in many here thanking me for this insider information.

When it comes to taste, all I can say is that VB drinkers will love it. Very bitter, so it's designed for a hard earned thirst. After mowing the lawn or planting the chillies on a 30 degree day, there's nothing better than a Skopsko to reward your hard work. I don't mow the lawn or like the taste of VB very much, so taste for me is a 3/5, but because it's a maco beverage my overall review is bumped up to a 5/5. The batch we have is beyond expiry though, so I'm almost certain the taste should be a 5/5. 

5 thumbs up for Skopsko.  :up:  :up:  :up:  :up:  :up: 

2067.jpg

• Like 2

5/5 * Drinks for the ultimate Chojek...Continued:

Rakia/Rakija (Spirit):

This is quite possibly the mother of all drinks if you're looking to get smashed. Home made rakia has been a village tradition for centuries now, and defines us as human beings. It's (sometimes) clear content allows for easy on-the-go storage in a water bottle, providing for necessary hydration when required. Commonly found at Dedos and Babas house, Rakia has been known to provide for an array of use. Often known to cure the common cold and mend any wound, this drink became a medical breakthrough back in the village. Unfortunately for the Greeks, the macos hid the blueprints for Rakia during ancient times, which soon proved to be the determining factor on the battlefield. Legend tells us that Achilles sought the best medical remedy known to man from the village peasants, but they did not make it to Greece on time.

For the peasant kids out there who are still drinking goon sack, it's time to step up a class, or 10. As the saying goes, Rakia- Connecting people.

5 thumbs up for Rakia and 2 claps for the chaps below.  :up:  :up:  :up:  :up:  :up:  :clap:  :clap: 

The photo below is of my Uncle Mitre (left) and his cousin Giorgi 'Sikkunt' Muznik (right) cooking up a fresh batch.

rakia.jpg

Ouzo (Spirit):

This is one most of you have probably heard of. Consumed world-wide, Ouzo has become an icon of the ethnikos race. Providing for a strong aniseed/licorice taste and aroma, yet disliked by most Aussies. However this doesn’t stop the rest us from ordering a shot of Ouzo when we’re out and about. Definitely a hit and miss drink, you either love it or hate it, there is little middle-ground. Ouzo can be mixed with water to create an interesting ‘Ouzo-bomb,’ but best served straight and surrounded by a variety of appetizers/meze. A true testimony that not all Greek things are bad.

4 thumbs up for Ouzo.  :up:  :up:  :up:  :up: 

http://www.camparigroup.com/media/ouzo.jpg

Another blessing in disguise from user ‘MKD’:

With winter only a few months away, roasted chestnuts and red wine is another dish commonly consumed by the Gods. A quality snack in the evening. Be sure to stock up soon because chojeks will be all over this revelation in no time.

kuriimagecopyrighted1.jpg

Alright Chojeks, it’s now your turn to leave some reviews and recommendations. It’s not often I release this kind of information, so use it wisely. Definitely a 10/10 thread so don’t let it go to waste.

Edited by MKD
  • Like 3

I have somehow ended up as someone who pretty much only drinks Rum. Will give Kraken a whirl on this advice.

Fantastic thread :up:  10/10 five stars will frequent. Encouraging appreciation of alcohol over over-consumption also = :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Edited by Che

Rakija is the best tasting spirit ever invented (srs)

With winter only a few months away, roasted chestnuts and red wine is another dish commonly consumed by the Gods. A quality snack in the evening. Be sure to stock up soon because chojeks will be all over this revelation in no time.

Source my chestnuts from Mt Buller :up:

None of this supermarket or even market crap. Straight from the farm.

Edited by Tesla

The Singleton - Single Malt Scotch 

singletonop.jpg

As stated in the tasting notes, "with its notes of toffee, spice and roasted nuts.", you can taste the faint sweet toffee when it hits your taste buds, followed by a spicy after taste.

Personally I drink it neat or on ice, a bonus for new scotch drinkers is that its not to "hot" on the throat. Very smooth.

:up:   :up:   :up:   :up:

Johnnie Walker Black

glogou_Johnnie%20Walker%20Black%20Label%

While not a particularly uncommon or notable drink, many of you may recall myself partaking in a number of post game "Johnnie black on the rocks" in season 1/2. It does have a much more smokier/charred taste than The Singleton, but this is due to it being a blend of 40 different single malt scotch whiskeys and grain whiskeys(this gives it the sweeter after taste).

:up:    :up:    :up:    :up:   :up: Gets 5 thumbs due to its prices and the memories. 

Edited by bazzatron
  • Like 1

I have somehow ended up as someone who pretty much only drinks Rum. Will give Kraken a whirl on this advice.

Fantastic thread :up:  10/10 five stars will frequent. Encouraging appreciation of alcohol over over-consumption also = :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I haven't tried many different rum brands so I don't have much to compare to. Give it a shot anyways and let me know what you think.

Mate it's all about the appreciation of the taste these days. Smashing them down serves only one purpose (sometimes useful), and that's to get drunk. But actually enjoying the drink has a whole lot more purpose.

Rakija is the best tasting spirit ever invented (srs)

Source my chestnuts from Mt Buller :up:

None of this supermarket or even market crap. Straight from the farm.

Yep, it's either fresh from the farm or nishto. 

We do something similar with olives. Buy them in bulk, chuck them in salted water for a while, then marinate them ourselves. Works out much cheaper and they're a lot better.

The Singleton - Single Malt Scotch 

As stated in the tasting notes, "with its notes of toffee, spice and roasted nuts.", you can taste the faint sweet toffee when it hits your taste buds, followed by a spicy after taste.

Personally I drink it neat or on ice, a bonus for new scotch drinkers is that its not to "hot" on the throat. Very smooth.

:up:   :up:   :up:   :up:

Johnnie Walker Black

While not a particularly uncommon or notable drink, many of you may recall myself partaking in a number of post game "Johnnie black on the rocks" in season 1/2. It does have a much more smokier/charred taste than The Singleton, but this is due to it being a blend of 40 different single malt scotch whiskeys and grain whiskeys(this gives it the sweeter after taste).

:up:    :up:    :up:    :up:   :up: Gets 5 thumbs due to its prices and the memories. 

It's been a while since I've had black label Johnnie Walker. I usually purchase the Red Label for mixing drinks, but for a few bucks more I might as well get the black label...to drink on the rocks of course.  ;)

We do something similar with olives. Buy them in bulk, chuck them in salted water for a while, then marinate them ourselves. Works out much cheaper and they're a lot better.

You don't grow your own? Kako toa

You don't grow your own? Kako toa

We've got an olive tree but it doesn't produce near enough for all the chojeks that come over for the meze. Send them home with maslinki samples.

• Like 1

Lele... Pa mi smo pravi, rakija however, in my motherland of Bosnia, is the cure for everything, and the best drink. Dad still makes it however its no where near the quality of the overseas, also cleverly hidden by people going through customs as "perfume".

Fellow bosnian here, and you mentioning LeLe is hilarious, given ive only heard my old man use the saying!

Lele... Pa mi smo pravi, rakija however, in my motherland of Bosnia, is the cure for everything, and the best drink. Dad still makes it however its no where near the quality of the overseas, also cleverly hidden by people going through customs as "perfume".

Fellow bosnian here, and you mentioning LeLe is hilarious, given ive only heard my old man use the saying! ahh, so there is more of us ;)?

Hahaha, I've been saying it for the past year nonstop.

Last week I was ridden with flu, Fiancee pulls out a ice tea bottle full of the stuff, pours a glass and a couple hours later I was feeling amazing, Flu was gone. Stuff works a treat for disinfecting cuts too. Endorsed!

• Like 2

Fellow bosnian here, and you mentioning LeLe is hilarious, given ive only heard my old man use the saying!

Lele majko, where you been chich? Not sure about bosanskis, but most of the oldies in the maco community use that term non-stop!

Edited by MKD

Can we just make this a topic dedicated to rakija?

Also need a petition to make rakija available at all Melbourne sporting venues.

SIGNED!!! 

Another thing, when i was a young kid and there was a glass on the table, i sometimes thought it was water so went too scull it.... the pain.

• Like 1

Just bring a bottle of 'water' with you to all Melbourne sporting venues :up:

Used the old bottle of water trick last night when going out. No dirty peasant looks or questions asked. Probably the strongest 'water' I've had in a while. 

Used the old bottle of water trick last night when going out. No dirty peasant looks or questions asked. Probably the strongest 'water' I've had in a while. 

im suprised it doesnt burn through the plastic.

im suprised it doesnt burn through the plastic.

Let me tell you, the developers of water bottles were well aware of potential rakija use. These things were built to withstand even the most potent home brewed alcohol.

• Like 1

vb cunts that's all.

Skopsko was made for you, my friend. Get on it!

If you still have some bottles of this can you tell me the importer/ supplier of this beer? Should be on the label somewhere. The pub I manage is owned by Macedonians. Been trying to hunt this down in aus for a while.

My additions to the thread:

Sailor Jerry: the king of spiced rums

Zubrowka: bison grass flavoured vodka. Mix it with cloudy apple juice or on the rocks. The poles do vodka best.

Chopin: one of the last vodkas still made from potatoes. Delicious on the rocks with a squeeze of lime.

Gabriel boudier saffron gin: mix it with tonic and an orange slice.

Talisker single malt: current favourite scotch. Got to love big smokey single malts

Glenmorangie 21yo: a cleaner tasting single malt, delicious. To those posting generic blended scotches get on the single malt train. Your life will improve ten fold.

Beer:

Anything from the following breweries, Nogne O, haandbryggeriet, green flash brewing, brew dog, feral, Blanche de Namur, sierra Nevada, rogue, weihenstephaner.

• Like 1

Zubrowka: bison grass flavoured vodka. Mix it with cloudy apple juice or on the rocks. The poles do vodka best.

They really do, which is why Cracow was probably my favourite place (bar Anfield) from my 3 months in Europe.

I preferred Wyborowa I think its called - has many different flavours etc which were all orgasmic.

Bottles of vodka for like $5.. insane!