Melbourne Football

Anyone else had enough of: "I Just Cant Get Enough"?

cadete

Should We Kill: "Just Cant Get Enough"?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Should We Kill: "Just Cant Get Enough"?

• Yes
    • No

I know a few others agree, but IMO this chant is very stale and needs to at least be given a spell.

When we first chanted JCGE in Season 1 for a long time it was close to the Terrace’s most energetic chant.

In fact as a Celtic Supporter it was my favourite chant.

But these days when it’s started, the enthusiasm is not there and it often simply sounds forced.

But it is often still sung more than twice a home match and I think it is time we moved on...

Let’s face it almost every team in the league sings this chant including SFC.

I reckon we are better that, and we constantly have some great new chant ideas that deserve a go.

IMO we could use this time for new chants that PPL will feel a lot more energetic to sing.

I have had enough of JCGE,

So let’s put it to a rest at least for while.

What are other PPL’s thoughts?

• Like 1

If PPL are worried about having "Replacement" chants they need not worry as we have a lot chants that we could do instead...

We have a New Team and Player Chants that deserve more Air Play.

Eg: The tune of "So Happy Together" deserves more of a run throughout the game IMO.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

there is never a lack of replacement chants, just people wanting to pick up on them. if you are not one of them bianco then i am glad.

i'm for removing it as in the past couple of weeks i've heard brisbane, wellington and adelaide all do it. it's unfortunate we're in a league where chants are taken from other teams all the times, but i think we have a diverse terrace and enough inspiration to think of something better

We don't have nearly enough chants, and the chants we do have are not nearly catchy enough or addictive enough to make people want to sing them for extended periods of time, compared to other terraces. That is the crux of the issue with us imo, amongst other things.

I am happy to have this song dropped, but I don't see much else better that will fill the void. This chant was a revelation when we first sung it and is one of our chants that can be sung for 10 minutes when done passionately. Is there anything else waiting in the wings that will have us singing for that long or longer on here? If there is, I haven't seen it.

FWIW, thread should probably be worded 'what should this song be replaced with', rather then 'should we kill it'.

Edited by FB.
  • Like 2

I came up with the Melbourne I'm in Love, but I don't think it's particularly catchy unless it is sung properly to the tune and not just chanted. I have doubts wether it will ever catch on.

Fuck em all is an easy chant, but is rather crass and unintelligent. I'd prefer if it was used sparingly. I'd rather our terrace become famed for using different and clever/flavorsome songs, then chants like that.

Score for us Melbourne (Pulp fiction tune if it's the one I'm thinking of?) is a real goer. And has potential to become a chant that can be sung for 10+ minutes if we went ahead with it. Good suggestion.

I'd like us to try the Suasage Roll chant too, but amend it with proper lyrics. Another chant that could become a real goer if we worked out appropriate lyrics for it.

Edited by FB.

We don't have nearly enough chants, and the chants we do have are not nearly catchy enough or addictive enough to make people want to sing them for extended periods of time, compared to other terraces. That is the crux of the issue with us imo, amongst other things.

I am happy to have this song dropped, but I don't see much else better that will fill the void. This chant was a revelation when we first sung it and is one of our chants that can be sung for 10 minutes when done passionately. Is there anything else waiting in the wings that will have us singing for that long or longer on here? If there is, I haven't seen it.

FWIW, thread should probably be worded 'what should this song be replaced with', rather then 'should we kill it'.

JCGE has not gone for any longer than three minutes all year so I really dont think we need to have a direct replacement for it, in fact IMO it be better for The Terrace to prob try a number of chants rather than find a direct replacement.

Such as the one's you are suggesting, Happy Together, Eli's New Chant, We are Hearts FC, Gol Gol, Fuck Em All...

Just throwing in my opinion here but while we are talking about killing chants I would suggest getting rid of fuck em all. Nothing to do with swearing or being crass. I think we should get rid of it because it makes us sound like a pack of bogans. Particularly the "cause we are melbourne and we are the best" part. Sounds terrible imo

• Like 1

Great thread, I am sick of the same chants every week that you can hear at any other A league game, We must endeavor to endorse originality  :D

Whats the point in the league TBH. It honestly seems like every game i listen too every active area does the same chants. When i heard on sunday the mongs do 'come on you boys in blue' i nearly threw up.  

Great thread, I am sick of the same chants every week that you can hear at any other A league game, We must endeavor to endorse originality  :D

Whats the point in the league TBH. It honestly seems like every game i listen too every active area does the same chants. When i heard on sunday the mongs do 'come on you boys in blue' i nearly threw up.  

I don't fully understand what your trying to say

THIS - everyone in the terrace needs to learn the tune to what we do. Just yelling is not good enough. 

Often we have tried to introduce originality, only for the terrace to fall back on the overdone tunes of Go West/Sloop John B. 

Think outside the square. 

I reckon if you made different threads for all the chants, "should we kill it?" You would get a lot of responses agreeing. It's only because it has been suggested, no one actually thinks on their own until it has been suggested.

What you chaps aren't grasping when you are suggesting the introduction of this song or that chant is that our terrace is incredibly stubborn and a lot of the time lacks enthusiasm and can be quite resistant to change so introducing new, more complex and wordy songs/chants is quite a hard task for us all. It's not as easy as just saying "let's do this song" and it will take off. Although this in no way means we will ever stop trying to do so.

That said, we need to work to continue to refine and augment our repertoire of vocal support. We need to get more and more people to the pub before and after games to learn new songs and their TUNES, face to face without the distractions of the game and the awkward silences that come on the spot when a new chant is tried in the terrace during a match. 

There also needs to be more onus placed on each individual member in the terrace to stop picking and choosing which chants to sing, which part of the song they want to sing and when to clap and when not to. Nudge the bloke next to you and get him involved. We are trying to create an atmosphere that lifts our beloved red and white for those 90 beautiful minutes whereby the only people that can effect the result of that game is those 11 men on the pitch and the 12th man(us) in the stand. WE NEED TO BE THAT CONSISTENT SOURCE OF SUPPORT AND INSPIRATION whereby our players know that EVERY time they step onto that hallowed turf of 'Paradise by the Yarra' that the Y-side will be there to get them up and bring them home! Those who aren't getting involved or participating need to be encouraged or find somewhere else to watch the game.

We(everybody not just those directing the terrace) need to encourage and remind these people that singing, clapping and participating is the rule not the exception. Get vocal and passionate not only about the state of the team but also about the health and performance of YOUR terrace. 

The time of the passenger is over.

Forza Y-side.

Edited by Braveheart
  • Like 5

We need a 3 pronged attack to introducing new chants

-There needs to be chant booklets printed

-The chant and lyrics need to be spammed over social media (facebook, twitter etc.)

-and it needs to be taught line by line to the terrace Call and response until it is learnt. This is the way it is done overseas.

I don't disagree that it is hard to introduce new chants, but when the above has been done in the past and when we were doing the yside chant of the week on facebook it helped immeasurably in getting some new songs going (I'm actually not sure why it was stopped in the 1st place). We can't just expect to turn up to a game as a group singing a new song without anyone knowing and hoping it catches on.

There also needs to be a section either in these forums or on yarraside.net that lists all of the chants which have been approved for use in the terrace. Which includes lyrics so everyone can learn and know what we sing. I find it hard to remember what songs we actually sing and which new suggestions here are approved for terrace use and which aren't. Most of the suggestions put forward on a daily basis seem to end up in limbo, without anyone knowing whether it's a goer or not.

Edited by FB.
  • Like 3

Good man for volunteering, that's what we need more of. 

A4 double sided in black and white will do nicely, 500 copies should be ok. 

Maybe there is someone with a connection to a printing company/ publisher on the forum

Edited by Joel21

'Fuck em all' is a horrible chant, seriously some of the new chants introduced this year have been below par, season one and two 'you are in my heart' was great and took off, 'we are Melbourne' was another good one, this year fuck em all has been horrible, and 'when the heart go marching in' is rubbish too, it's done by countless teams in the world.

I know I'll get flamed for this but the yarraside has dropped in standard and originality and pretty much has made me cringe and move back to the seated section rather than the active support where I spent the first 2 and a quarter seasons.

'Fuck em all' is a horrible chant, seriously some of the new chants introduced this year have been below par, season one and two 'you are in my heart' was great and took off, 'we are Melbourne' was another good one, this year fuck em all has been horrible, and 'when the heart go marching in' is rubbish too, it's done by countless teams in the world.

I know I'll get flamed for this but the yarraside has dropped in standard and originality and pretty much has made me cringe and move back to the seated section rather than the active support where I spent the first 2 and a quarter seasons.

So instead of trying to contribute and help address the perceived issues your solution is to move to the wing?

Sounds like another active section passenger not in it for the bad as well as the good.

Don't let the door hit ya on the way out :up:

• Like 3

I'm giving you guys feedback on what some former/current contributors to the active area and general public viewers think, I'm not trying to cause problems or anything but it would be worth taking onboard IMO.

I'm not going to stand in the yarraside and pretend to contribute when I don't support half the chants that are being done nowadays, I'd rather leave that spot for someone who's got there heart 100% in it.