Melbourne Football

A-league expansion

Pigeon

Would like to see the League get to 14 teams and play a 26 game season, Cup & Finals. Only way I can see that happening within 10 years is if the likes of South Melbourne are given a license. Currently all A-League clubs and their State Govt owned & operated venues are too restrictive on clubs ability to tap into the revenue streams of food & drink. South may not own Lakeside but they have a very favourable lease and the ability to make money through alternative revenue streams unlike all other clubs.

Canberra ffs over any other place in Australia. People here fucking froth football like nothing else.

But only 700 turned up to watch the Jets play a Canberra allstars team.

I remember watching a W-League game with a crowd of over 1,000 so surely the potential is there.

Point being, Che says people "fucking froth football like nothing else" so you'd assume you would get more than 700 to an HAL team versus Canberra Allstars. These are the type of matches that FFA look at to gauge potential for a HAL bid. Really, quite disappointing from Canberrans. 

• 3 weeks later...

BUFnhLVCAAAx6la.jpg

BUHIdYiCcAACt26.jpg

Wollongong managed 6,540 to the game between Sydney & Newcastle today.

They have the history and the stadium, plus Sydney & WSW less than 90 mins away and CCM 2 hours, they would draw some very good away support to derbies. 

Unless the FFA lets in a Sth Melb backed bid, Wollongong is starting to look like they could be a serious chance given the recent murmers about interest in getting a license.

Edited by mus-28
  • Like 1

You'd defiantly travel there? Are you definitely sure?

Well fuck! i hope your not marking my English exam this year!

*You're. Come on, you've even gone to the trouble of capitalising 'English', adding two extra letters and punctuation isn't hard ;)

Hahahaha.

Edited by theresonlyonebzamora
  • Like 4

Be interested to know how many smurf supporters made the trip to the 'Gong for the match. Sutho shire (massive area of FC supporters) butts up to the IIlawarra. Also, with a large Italian community in Wollongong, they would've turned up for ADP (even though he pulled out of the game).

Edited by Benched

Canberra seems like it's the safest option. Wollongong seems like it might need a few extra years to get a decent bid together. I think the FFA should target large regional cities that do not have any other codes present as a way of staking a claim to those cities and regions. Also opposed to any more teams in NZ, if phoenix fold then the license should be kept within Oz.

Canberra seems like it's the safest option. Wollongong seems like it might need a few extra years to get a decent bid together. I think the FFA should target large regional cities that do not have any other codes present as a way of staking a claim to those cities and regions. Also opposed to any more teams in NZ, if phoenix fold then the license should be kept within Oz.

Wollongong does have a Rugby League side...

Wollongong does have a Rugby League side... As does Canberra

Wollongong does have a Rugby League side...

Well half of one anyway

Wollongong does have a Rugby League side... As does Canberra

Canberra has a Union side too

I know those two do, as does Townsville, but I'm saying that a league expansion beyond these places should feature in places where there are no competing codes.

Where would have a big enough population with no competing code to warrant their own HAL side? Darwin and Hobart are the only two places I can think of and I dont think either of them are a particularly good investment for the FFA

I know those two do, as does Townsville, but I'm saying that a league expansion beyond these places should feature in places where there are no competing codes.

Where would have a big enough population with no competing code to warrant their own HAL side? Darwin and Hobart are the only two places I can think of and I dont think either of them are a particularly good investment for the FFA

Broome ;):up:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The problem with expanding the A League is how do you maintain the quality?  Big expansions in sport in Australia (think no further than the horror days of Super league in Rugby League, when there was supposedly 22 teams in the top level) have normally led to a drop in quality as there is no new talent, only new places to fill.

I was very concerned about this when the A League went from 8 teams to 10,  but quality actually went up, mainly I thought because:

• Foreign slots increased from 3 to 5
  • More teams meant the opportunity for different managers and this brought some less conservative gaffers into the league, who were prepared to risk players who might not be able to wrestle, but could actually pass the ball. 
  • The GFC probably helped bring a few of the "foreign legion" home

Don't think there's a whole left at the well for those areas, but many gaffers still think 27 is the minimum age they'll look at, so perhaps more clubs could force a focus on younger players, who may impress if given a genuine opportunity.

It's been shown that good coaching rather than good players will produce the desired performances. The Visitards are the prime example, under Ange the young kids looked like future stars, now they look like utter dog shite.

Once expansion happens I'd like to see a loan system between A-League clubs implemented. Perhaps 3 loans per season (1 x full season & 2 x 10 game loans) Would be good for players like Walker, Garrucio, Mauk if they could go to a club that would play them regularly but we still retain their contract.

• 1 month later...

For lack of a better place to put this opinion... But at least it may play a part in expanding the league.

In comparison to the bigger established leagues, the HAL dwindles in strength and talent. That is the sentiment/truth expressed by fans and supporters. We look at the messi and the ronaldo types and compare what we have here...

It's on the tip of our tongue when we get into conversations regarding the league and our team(s), a statement like "lol, how good can it possibly be, its only the A-League" or the comparison of an international CLUB to our WHOLE LEAGUE. "You wouldn't have that happen at Liverpool/ManUtd/Chelsea, etc."

Then you sit back and think about where its headed... An apprentice learns his trade from his boss, someone that has been around for a while. A student learns from a teacher, a person qualified. In our case, we will learn and be guided from ManCity. Possibly one of, if not, the greatest mentor in the business.

They have clearly seen that the league is on a successful path and we are fortunate that they have invested in us. Isn't this enough to start rethinking our thought process? We may not be the strongest of leagues, but we are definitely moving in the right direction. Why didn't they invest in the Arab leagues? Bad business compared to AU's.

If the other clubs aren't mindful of what is about to happen under the guiding hand of Man City, then they will surely remain behind us in every aspect. The homework was done before investing, and they had seem where MHFC was heading to. The partnerships with Latrobe, the community camps, the football school, etc. Its all leading to a bigger and better club.

Olympiacos is almost 20 points clear at the top of the table. Celtic is 24 points ahead. Both are teams that have come into money and have flourished. But both teams don't have a salary cap. Can this point keep the teams on even ground? Is this a detriment to the leagues growth? I don't think its a detriment, I think its what keeps it exciting. It puts the emphasis on how the manager and the recruiters.

The tards have signed the best striker in the league. Bling FC will no doubt have a another world famous marquee. WSW will pull a rabbit out of its hat. And we know the journey under ManCity is gonna be a ripper. The melb derby is still the biggest in the league. (fuck off NSW).

Not only are our new owners going to boost our club, but they will also boost the whole League.

Bring on the friendlies vs NYCFC and MCFC. Bring on the exposure to us as a supporter base and a club. Bring on the visiting supporters to have a drink with and banter. Bring on the bright future for our team, our city and our league.

• Like 3