Melbourne Football

A-league expansion

Pigeon

I think 3 teams in Melbourne and Sydney and 2 in Brisbane is the way to go in the short to medium term. Obviously Wollongong and Canberra are also important and Gold Coast has to be given another chance at some point.

But I agree with the focus on the major markets and is what I've been saying all along, especially when people have said thing like Melbourne can't support 2 teams. Really, Melbourne can support at least 5 teams, the people in charge just need to get their shit in order.

Edited by Tesla

Fuck NSW. Gallop is trying to turn the league into the nrl. Why not have some balls and make a second Perth or Adelaide team or even try and get gold coast back up and running?

Because a third team in Sydney is more viable than a second team in either Perth or Adelaide

Fuck NSW. Gallop is trying to turn the league into the nrl. Why not have some balls and make a second Perth or Adelaide team or even try and get gold coast back up and running?

Because a third team in Sydney is more viable than a second team in either Perth or Adelaide

There's two afl teams in both Adelaide and Perth and all 4 are thriving so I don't understand how those two areas are less viable than Sydney?

There's two afl teams in both Adelaide and Perth and all 4 are thriving so I don't understand how those two areas are less viable than Sydney?

Because nobody gives a fuck about the ALeague in Adelaide or Perth

• Like 2

Because a third team in Sydney is more viable than a second team in either Perth or Adelaide There's two afl teams in both Adelaide and Perth and all 4 are thriving so I don't understand how those two areas are less viable than Sydney? Because Sydney has 2-3 times the population, gives more of a fuck about the sport, and has more teams close by for derbies and other big rivalry games. Not too mention sponsors and investors would rather get behind a team in a bigger market. Edited by Tesla

Because a third team in Sydney is more viable than a second team in either Perth or AdelaideThere's two afl teams in both Adelaide and Perth and all 4 are thriving so I don't understand how those two areas are less viable than Sydney?Because Sydney has 2-3 times the population, gives more of a fuck about the sport, and has more teams close by for derbies and other big rivalry games. Not too mention sponsors and investors would rather get behind a team in a bigger market. plus all the rectangular stadiums they already have, they have enough for another 6 teams.

And port were shit 2 seasons ago.

Edited by Tbitm

If there´s a 3rd Sydney area team coming.. How long until there will be noises about Melbourne?

Once/if we start selling out regular games the topic will come up. No idea what area they'd represent though. South Melbourne probably. Edited by hedaik

If there´s a 3rd Sydney area team coming.. How long until there will be noises about Melbourne?

Once/if we start selling out regular games the topic will come up. No idea what area they'd represent though.

Even though it technically isn't part of Melbourne, Geelong?

A 3rd Melbourne team would be more successful than Geelong you'd think. Would have to be geographically based which would most likely mean a new stadium is needed. SE looks most likely tbh.

Agreed. There is only one sport in town in places outside of Melbourne and thats AFL. 

Who would foot the bill for a new stadium in the South East though?

The Sheik

Speaking of...Where is the sheik/ontheball with those contract terminations?

And with the expansion... wassnt there a Wollongong team website someone made up? Not sure how serious it was but I distinctly remember it using red and white as the colours

Edited by Dylan

Of course, the big problems with Geelong are that it is primarly AFL orientated, which, coupled with an oval stadium that'd be empty most of the time wouldn't look good. It also looks like Victory are making inroads there.

Also, by South-East I take it you mean around Casey?

Edited by xXJawsaXx

Just speculating for fun.. but if the council wanted a new stadium in the south east and CFG paid for it in return for say tracts of land? Ownership of something?

I reckon that will happen with AAMI. CFG will pay for the capacity to be upgraded on the proviso that they then own it. It was built with foundations for it to be upgraded to 60k

Edited by Dylan

Somewhere more 'inner' would be better, but the best chance for state and council resources would probably be Casey.

Even Casey probably wouldn't put any/much money up, but could give a club access to Casey Fields and if they wanted the stadium there, maybe land they own at Casey Fields.

But surely a stadium would have to be more inner than Casey Fields.

Anyway, that really is the problem with a 3rd Melbourne team, it needs a stadium.

Just speculating for fun.. but if the council wanted a new stadium in the south east and CFG paid for it in return for say tracts of land? Ownership of something?

I reckon that will happen with AAMI. CFG will pay for the capacity to be upgraded on the proviso that they then own it. It was built with foundations for it to be upgraded to 60k

The foundations yes but nearly everything else no. Will almost cost as much as building a new stadium to upgrade AAMI parks capacity

Somewhere more 'inner' would be better, but the best chance for state and council resources would probably be Casey.

Even Casey probably wouldn't put any/much money up, but could give a club access to Casey Fields and if they wanted the stadium there, maybe land they own at Casey Fields.

But surely a stadium would have to be more inner than Casey Fields.

Anyway, that really is the problem with a 3rd Melbourne team, it needs a stadium. There is plenty of land around the area of Bentleigh greens sc.

From memory mostly industrial but with the golf courses there, slight possibility land could be subdivided to make it more of a sports precinct maybe?

It finally looks like Sth Melbourne are getting their shit together in the NPLV. They'd be the most logical option for another franchise in Victoria. They have the history, infrastructure and apparently the money.

It would give us another derby and due to their cosy deal with the Government they wouldn't need huge crowds to be financially viable.

As much as I dislike the attitude of some of their supporters they're the only logical choice for a 3rd Victorian club that would tick all the boxes and have the best chance of long term stability.

It finally looks like Sth Melbourne are getting their shit together in the NPLV. They'd be the most logical option for another franchise in Victoria. They have the history, infrastructure and apparently the money.

It would give us another derby and due to their cosy deal with the Government they wouldn't need huge crowds to be financially viable.

As much as I dislike the attitude of some of their supporters they're the only logical choice for a 3rd Victorian club that would tick all the boxes and have the best chance of long term stability.

Plus I'd love a second A-League club in Melbourne to loathe!

Derby would be different but good too.

Dandenong is doing a lot of work to become a second hub of melbourne. But if you wanted a bit more inner SE I'd say caufeild

The center of the racecourse would be perfect for training facilities. It is actually already likely that football fields will be built there for junior sport as that entire piece of land was gifted to the Glen Eira council and is crown land, the racing club have pretty much taken over it and there is big debates currently going on to open the center up for public use. "The Glen Eira Open Space Strategy".

Dandenong is doing a lot of work to become a second hub of melbourne. But if you wanted a bit more inner SE I'd say caufeild

The center of the racecourse would be perfect for training facilities. It is actually already likely that football fields will be built there for junior sport as that entire piece of land was gifted to the Glen Eira council and is crown land, the racing club have pretty much taken over it and there is big debates currently going on to open the center up for public use. "The Glen Eira Open Space Strategy".

Expect the grounds to become completely fucked come spring when Harry the Hirer start putting marquees all over it

Expect the grounds to become completely fucked come spring when Harry the Hirer start putting marquees all over it

Do they use the infield at carnival time? Apparently it is currently used for horse training and stables? I'm not sure though.

The foundations yes but nearly everything else no. Will almost cost as much as building a new stadium to upgrade AAMI parks capacity

The main factor preventing expansion is apparently the fancy roof. It would have to be removed completely and rebuilt.

Dylan & Malloy.. You think it´s even politically possible to take over the stadium?

AT this stage no and probably not for some time (if at all)

Can't see anyone coming up with the money required for the State Government to even think about selling it. I can't see CFG buying it. They have indicated that their expenditure in Melbourne will be consistent with the context of Melbourne City Football Club (location, A-League etc.). And I can't see us now moving away from the City of Melbourne, now that we're clearly identified as the city's club.

Overall, I think we are getting ahead of ourselves to contemplate A-League expansion at this stage. Gallop is just getting carried away by the glamour of the World Cup Finals. Melbourne Heart was a perfect example that you can't just plonk an A-League franchise down somewhere and expect it to be successful based on statistics.

Because a third team in Sydney is more viable than a second team in either Perth or Adelaide There's two afl teams in both Adelaide and Perth and all 4 are thriving so I don't understand how those two areas are less viable than Sydney? Because nobody gives a fuck about the ALeague in Adelaide or Perth

I think there would be a potential for a second team in WA down the track especially if the population keeps growing the way it has recently. Would probably have to be in Fremantle or elsewhere south of the river. Is a strong south v North of river divide. Similar to Sydney / west Sydney where south of the river is the working class and inner North seen as more affluent. Is essentially what makes the freo, wce rivalry.

The problem for Perth is Glory's lack of success in the a-league. In the nsl days they we're talk of the town because they were winning. Outside of afl, WA will jump on winning teams band wagons. The wildcats get ridiculous crowds in the NBL and the scorchers sell out every game because they are winning.

The constant failings of Glory has all but ruined any interest in the a-league here. Would take a fair few years of sustained success to bring it back up again. But I wouldn't say it is impossible for a new club in Perth to work in the future.