Melbourne Football

A-league expansion

Pigeon

On 6 March 2018 at 1:11 PM, Shahanga said:

Might be a bit harsh.

My guess is that Frank put a lot more money into football than he ever got back. His worst sin was getting his son appointed his successor.

I thought it was the franchise owners that lost money and continue to lose money from investing in the aleague. Seeing as Lowy has set up the league to be very similar to his Westfield investments then I'd be damn bloody suprised if he's losing out money. The league seems a way for Lowy to control everything and gain from financially from by the owners of clubs to cover the cost. 

5 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I thought it was the franchise owners that lost money and continue to lose money from investing in the aleague. Seeing as Lowy has set up the league to be very similar to his Westfield investments then I'd be damn bloody suprised if he's losing out money. The league seems a way for Lowy to control everything and gain from financially from by the owners of clubs to cover the cost. 

I think @Shahanga would be right tbh. Frank would definitely have poured money into the A League and Aus football, in the same way a a wealthy benefactor puts money into a football club as a hobby.
Naturally the FFA is skinning the clubs somewhat in order to fund the rest of Aus football, but i'd suggest the only person really making a quid is the CEO at the time. FFA certainly aren't making money.

FWIW i have no doubt that the FFA are doing what they think is best for the game. Unfortunately i think theyre grossly out of touch, and perhaps in Steven Lowy's case, too blinded by ego to see that they're failing miserably in doing it.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Matt Windley has left the Herald Sun to work for a 3rd Melb team bid. IMO a third Melb team would hinder our supporter growth but I guess we will see 

I think that bid is called "Team 11." http://www.weareteam11.com/ It's an interesting concept, especially the intention to have its own small stadium.

Living in the S-E (although not in Dandenong) if it gets up I would certainly join up while maintaining my City membership. A very easy drive to get there and the more football the better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingofhearts said:

Oh fe. 

For old times sake,  I'm happy to derail this thread for a page or two with a bunch of farfetched reasons as to why South Melbourne would be a great idea for the next a league club. 

Fuck it. lets have 6 Melbourne teams and play out of the NPL stadiums.

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I think that bid is called "Team 11." http://www.weareteam11.com/ It's an interesting concept, especially the intention to have its own small stadium.

Living in the S-E (although not in Dandenong) if it gets up I would certainly join up while maintaining my City membership. A very easy drive to get there and the more football the better.

An easy drive there, maybe. But difficult to get home when there are only bricks where there were once wheels post game.

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

A league expansion news taken from AAP:

Southern Expansion is considered a favoured bidder for one of the A league expansion positions.
If successful they would initially split games between three different venues - Jubilee Oval in Kogarah, WIN Stadium in Wollongong and Southern Cross Group stadium Cronulla (home to the NRL Cronulla Sharks).
They are backed by Hong Kong property conglomerate JiaYuan Group and received council approval late last year to build a 30,000-seat stadium in Loftus and a football academy in Barden Ridge.

Now that is what I call a commitment!!

Also a European based consortium with commercial activities in Europe, Australia and Asia, and company offices in Hong Kong, have taken over Adelaide for a reported 10million.

Suddenly Manchester City's investment is not looking so big.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjake1234 said:

Southern Expansion is considered a favoured bidder for one of the A league expansion positions.
If successful they would initially split games between three different venues - Jubilee Oval in Kogarah, WIN Stadium in Wollongong and Southern Cross Group stadium Cronulla (home to the NRL Cronulla Sharks).
They are backed by Hong Kong property conglomerate JiaYuan Group and received council approval late last year to build a 30,000-seat stadium in Loftus and a football academy in Barden Ridge.

Also a European based consortium with commercial activities in Europe, Australia and Asia, and company offices in Hong Kong, have taken over Adelaide for a reported 10million.

It was a big step in 2014, but as in most things the bar keeps rising. City Football Group will have to work harder if it wants to make Melbourne City the club it says it wants to.

11 hours ago, mjake1234 said:

Play across 3 stadiums? What a joke of a club

• 2 weeks later...

Well, finally, looks like we could be on the move with expansion...FFA has called for "expressions of interest" for two new clubs to join the A-League in season 2019-20.

https://www.a-league.com.au/news/ffa-expressions-of-interest-aleague-expansion-plans

Decision to be made in October 2018.

https://www.a-league.com.au/expansion

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Well, finally, looks like we could be on the move with expansion...FFA has called for "expressions of interest" for two new clubs to join the A-League in season 2019-20.

https://www.a-league.com.au/news/ffa-expressions-of-interest-aleague-expansion-plans

I'm looking forward to seeing the shortlist. It will certainly provide an insight into the thinking or lack thereof at FFA headquarters.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Two teams will have already been picked. Its all just smoke to prove that FFA are doing something so FIFA dont kick them out

• Like 2

1 hour ago, haz said:

Two teams will have already been picked. Its all just smoke to prove that FFA are doing something so FIFA dont kick them out

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/adelaide/the-10-aleague-clubs-have-rejected-football-federation-australias-expansion-plans/news-story/bd1ac1a506dcec0f1cc3f47ce3f27c15

"The 10 A-League clubs have rejected Football Federation Australia’s expansion plans

Val Migliaccio, Soccer Writer, The Advertiser
March 29, 2018 5:58pm

THE 10 A-League clubs have rejected Football Federation Australia’s expansion plans after the governing body excluded its member clubs from consultation.

Australian Professional Football Clubs Association chairman Greg Griffin contacted FFA chief executive David Gallop on behalf of the clubs claiming the conduct of FFA is “completely unacceptable”.

Griffin said the timing of the announcement, while FIFA is driving reform to expand FFA’s congress without consulting the 10 clubs, made little sense.

The Advertiser has seen the letter from APFCA addressed to Gallop with the A-League member clubs and FFA’s board also Cc’d in an email.

“Until the FIFA/AFC (Asian Football Confederation) governance reforms are articulated and implemented we would counsel you that the administration and board of FFA should not be undertaking any such action having regard to the fact that they are now essentially in a ‘caretaker’ mode,’’ Griffin said in the letter.

“APFCA puts you on notice that it does not accept the legitimacy of the process, whatever that may have been, adopted by FFA administration and the FFA board to expand the A-League competition.

“APFCA takes great exception to the process that FFA has embarked upon in respect to expansion of the A-League competition which process has been undertaken without any formal consultation of both the APFCA membership and the PFA (Professional Footballers Australia — the players union).

“To proceed in this manner is to act in complete conflict with the current governance reform process.

“APFCA under these circumstances will reject any position purported to be put in place by FFA on any expansion of the A-League until such time as there has been proper consultation of, and engagement with, the stakeholders of the professional game APFCA and PFA.”

FFA on Thursday publicly released plans to expand to 12 A-League clubs by the start of the 2019/20 season, calling for expressions of interest by May 24 this year."

2 minutes ago, Blackout said:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/adelaide/the-10-aleague-clubs-have-rejected-football-federation-australias-expansion-plans/news-story/bd1ac1a506dcec0f1cc3f47ce3f27c15

"The 10 A-League clubs have rejected Football Federation Australia’s expansion plans

Val Migliaccio, Soccer Writer, The Advertiser
March 29, 2018 5:58pm

THE 10 A-League clubs have rejected Football Federation Australia’s expansion plans after the governing body excluded its member clubs from consultation.

Australian Professional Football Clubs Association chairman Greg Griffin contacted FFA chief executive David Gallop on behalf of the clubs claiming the conduct of FFA is “completely unacceptable”.

Griffin said the timing of the announcement, while FIFA is driving reform to expand FFA’s congress without consulting the 10 clubs, made little sense.

The Advertiser has seen the letter from APFCA addressed to Gallop with the A-League member clubs and FFA’s board also Cc’d in an email.

“Until the FIFA/AFC (Asian Football Confederation) governance reforms are articulated and implemented we would counsel you that the administration and board of FFA should not be undertaking any such action having regard to the fact that they are now essentially in a ‘caretaker’ mode,’’ Griffin said in the letter.

“APFCA puts you on notice that it does not accept the legitimacy of the process, whatever that may have been, adopted by FFA administration and the FFA board to expand the A-League competition.

“APFCA takes great exception to the process that FFA has embarked upon in respect to expansion of the A-League competition which process has been undertaken without any formal consultation of both the APFCA membership and the PFA (Professional Footballers Australia — the players union).

“To proceed in this manner is to act in complete conflict with the current governance reform process.

“APFCA under these circumstances will reject any position purported to be put in place by FFA on any expansion of the A-League until such time as there has been proper consultation of, and engagement with, the stakeholders of the professional game APFCA and PFA.”

FFA on Thursday publicly released plans to expand to 12 A-League clubs by the start of the 2019/20 season, calling for expressions of interest by May 24 this year."

Yep there you its starting.

I bet if you looked in Gallop's office drawer you would find the logos for South Sydney and Brisbane 2.

So, what are the present 10 clubs going to do if FFA goes ahead with the addition of two clubs for 2019/20? Refuse to participate in the competition?

I have no faith in FFA whatsoever, but the stance taken by APFCA isn't helping the situation one bit. Surely it' s not too much to ask FFA, the APFCA and the PFA to sit down and talk on a person-to-person basis behind closed doors instead of arguing in public?

• Like 2

On 3/31/2018 at 7:10 PM, jw1739 said:

So, what are the present 10 clubs going to do if FFA goes ahead with the addition of two clubs for 2019/20? Refuse to participate in the competition?

I have no faith in FFA whatsoever, but the stance taken by APFCA isn't helping the situation one bit. Surely it' s not too much to ask FFA, the APFCA and the PFA to sit down and talk on a person-to-person basis behind closed doors instead of arguing in public?

I suspect that the relationship between all three bodies is seriously broken - maybe between the APFCA & PFA, but both with the FFA. The possibility of FIFA/AFC intervention has increased because the APFCA will increase pressure on the AFC, and I think that this is the real goal.

4 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I suspect that the relationship between all three bodies is seriously broken - maybe between the APFCA & PFA, but both with the FFA. The possibility of FIFA/AFC intervention has increased because the APFCA will increase pressure on the AFC, and I think that this is the real goal.

I'm sure you're correct. Reminds me of the stand-off between Lowy and Palmer over Gold Coast United. But surely, it's at times like these when one of the protagonists needs to get off their high horse, pick up the phone and make a call, and say "Hey, what we're doing isn't for the benefit of the game or anyone in it - let's talk privately one-on-one."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'm sure you're correct. Reminds me of the stand-off between Lowy and Palmer over Gold Coast United. But surely, it's at times like these when one of the protagonists needs to get off their high horse, pick up the phone and make a call, and say "Hey, what we're doing isn't for the benefit of the game or anyone in it - let's talk privately one-on-one."

Absolutely. And whatever Lowy thought of Palmer, at the end of the day t was only one owner. Steven Lowy is taking on 10 owners. I don't like his chances.

39 minutes ago, Dylan said:

So what level of attendance do you think South is going to need in this years FFA cup to have a chance of getting a license? 

Trick question.

A: N/A

As the league will never expand beyond 12 teams

Real lack of planning by the FFA, even amateur leagues have a 5 year, 10 year plan. FFA seems to play it day by day how the competition will evolve. 

There seem to be bidders coming out from everywhere and there's gonna be a lot of disappointed clubs/franchises once South Sydney and Brisbane 2 are selected. There needs to be a time frame given to get to 16 teams and a 30 game home & away season to give the unsuccessful bidders something to work towards.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I tend to see a team playing out of Dandenong as a strong addition to the league.

The reasons that I see it as a stronger proposition to South Melbourne include:

- Significant local government support 

-  In a region that has no top tier football code representation, giving our sport a strong position to build from

- If they can get a stadium and training complex built as depicted, that would be a huge value add in terms of facilities. It will only work though if the club plays matches out there, so that is the key

- it’s a big region, far from the central city area where MV and MC play. This is a big point of difference from SMFC, as they are also based in the inner city

Overall, although SMFC has the facilities and an established structure, there is likely far more upside from a South East Melbourne club.

Maybe SMFC should invest in the South East club and look to build a partnership that way. Might be their only way in at this rate, as it would give them an opportunity to provide the pathway for their players and for fans to have a link to the A-League. The reality is that those fans of SMFC may not jump on board though even if the club did invest.

MV and MC still have their regions they can focus on in other areas of the Melbourne and the state, and this South East option would likely have the least impact on the existing clubs.

Edited by Heart_fan

6 hours ago, Forever City said:

I'd say FFA needs to be bloody careful when it checks just who is "investing/backing" the various bids that come in for expansion clubs. Not only who, but just how much financial backing they really have.