Melbourne Football

A-league expansion

Pigeon

As I have said previously South is Australia's best team in history. The only reason they aren't as good now is because the FFA ditched them and didn't include them in the a-league. I remember that clearly and lots of supporters stopped going. I also recall victory chatting shit about us. That's why I decided not to go for them the scum. It's good to see more people going now that join the a-league looks promising. Yesterday's loss to green gully had at least 4 thousand people. That's great to see. As most of you said they are making a lot of noise about it so that may not help them. 

9 hours ago, Inferno said:

As I have said previously South is Australia's best team in history. The only reason they aren't as good now is because the FFA ditched them and didn't include them in the a-league. I remember that clearly and lots of supporters stopped going. I also recall victory chatting shit about us. That's why I decided not to go for them the scum. It's good to see more people going now that join the a-league looks promising. Yesterday's loss to green gully had at least 4 thousand people. That's great to see. As most of you said they are making a lot of noise about it so that may not help them. 

With respect IMO you're making the same mistake as many other people do. You're taking a club, or a proposed club, in which you have a particular interest, and saying "here is our justification for inclusion in the A-League." IMO that's a recipe for potential disaster.

Expansion of the league, in terms of clubs, number of matches played, etc. needs to be looked at as a whole, not as individual parts. FFA needs to have a vision of what the league should ultimately look like say in steps of 5,10, 20 years time, and then ensure that the steps taken are all designed to follow that timetable and ultimately achieve that final vision.

FFA's problem is that it really struggles to quantify what its criteria, objectives and visions actually are. It's therefore impossible for clubs and proposed clubs to know whether they have any chance of inclusion in the league, and even if they do have a chance, what timetable they have to meet. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Inferno said:

4000 people. Are you mad. I was there. No way was there anywhere near that.

42 minutes ago, JohnK said:

4000 people. Are you mad. I was there. No way was there anywhere near that.

Lets no forget most Greeks have 2 heads. 

Edited by Jovan
Can't be considered racist I did say most.😀
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm passionate about ALeague expansion and believe South Melbourne belong in the A-League. 

FFA must take the league to 12 clubs asap. Eventually the target should be 16 clubs.

Tasmania,Canberra are places that the FFA should take a look at. Established clubs like Wollongong Wolves,South Melbourne have what it takes to succeed in the A-League.

For me over the next 4-5 years I'd add 6 clubs : adding two asap e.g for 2018/19 season

- South Melbourne, Wollongong Wolves

And then : 

Canberra Utd, Tasmanian club, Brisbane Strikers, Adelaide City.

FFA needs to pull its finger out and get moving.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, AlwaysHeart said:

I'm passionate about ALeague expansion and believe South Melbourne belong in the A-League. 

FFA must take the league to 12 clubs asap. Eventually the target should be 16 clubs.

Tasmania,Canberra are places that the FFA should take a look at. Established clubs like Wollongong Wolves,South Melbourne have what it takes to succeed in the A-League.

For me over the next 4-5 years I'd add 6 clubs : adding two asap e.g for 2018/19 season

And then : 

Oh boy, here we go again....

• Like 3

10 hours ago, AlwaysHeart said:

And then : 

I agree with the all the clubs you have mentioned in the expansion, but I really don't think a Canberra team will work out. Soccer isn't a popular sport in Canberra and if a team is formed there it will be like Gold Coast's attendances. Sure the FFA will try and build it up but it is not going to work IMO. South should join the league!

All you need to determine whether South would be a success in the Aleague is the shit they pulled with Roberto Carlos as their manager. :droy:  they pulled similar shit when they tried to buy Heart and Sidwell dismissed them out of hand and said they were never considered a serious bidder. Says it all.

Anyway if they were let it, no idea why they think we will be in trouble? Vast majority of south supporters who follow aleague support Victory. Plus they have been incredibly antagonistic in the NPL system so you could pretty much rule out anyone who has any kind of link to another NPL club out of supporting them. Not that many left after that I would argue.

Edited by Dylan

On 15/10/2017 at 11:19 AM, AlwaysHeart said:

And then : 

tztv4OdtoKfgQ.gif

• Like 6

On 21/10/2017 at 3:16 PM, Dylan said:

Anyway if they were let it, no idea why they think we will be in trouble? Vast majority of south supporters who follow aleague support Victory. Plus they have been incredibly antagonistic in the NPL system so you could pretty much rule out anyone who has any kind of link to another NPL club out of supporting them. Not that many left after that I would argue.

So true...

It's like how Collingwood, Carlton and @striderRangers all failed to gain support with their attempts of having clubs in the NSL.

Even Port Power who about 40% of South Australians supported in the SANFL has had to deal with this issue... Remember the Tarps?

This is why the AFL knocked back bids from Port and East Perth in the late 80's and opted instead for the Eagles and the Crows.

Edited by cadete

54 minutes ago, cadete said:

So true...

It's like how Collingwood, Carlton and @striderRangers all failed to gain support with their attempts of having clubs in the NSL.

Even Port Power who about 40% of South Australians supported in the SANFL has had to deal with this issue... Remember the Tarps?

This is why the AFL knocked back bids from Port and East Perth in the late 80's and opted instead for the Eagles and the Crows.

Add Southport Sharks from Gold Coast. But the Gold Coast is a graveyard for any pro franchise regardless of the code.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Some interesting data on age profile in HAL from https://mobile.twitter.com/thepfa/status/922716276602101760/video/1

Number of U20 players in the HAL decreasing since expansion stopped

26446482209_159c227fe1_b.jpg

Average age of starting 11 in HAL has been increasing

26446465269_b6c65dc4a3_b.jpg

Smurfs likely to field the oldest average age team ever in HAL

38167628136_f245b12c01_b.jpg

Can't believe the figure of 30.4 yrs. That bastard on the right must surely be increasing their average age to over 40!

• Like 1

If you take away the projected average age for 2017/18 those differences in ages might not be statistically significant? But if fielding older players who are just that bit more field-smart is the way to win trophies, then so be it. When you're starved of success such as Heart/City supporters are then I don't think there'd be any complaints if we did it.

I'd be interested to see whether the 10 clubs do indeed have a significant difference in the average ages of their players.

4 hours ago, HEARTinator said:

Some interesting data on age profile in HAL from https://mobile.twitter.com/thepfa/status/922716276602101760/video/1

Number of U20 players in the HAL decreasing since expansion stopped

26446482209_159c227fe1_b.jpg

Average age of starting 11 in HAL has been increasing

26446465269_b6c65dc4a3_b.jpg

Smurfs likely to field the oldest average age team ever in HAL

38167628136_f245b12c01_b.jpg

Can't believe the figure of 30.4 yrs. That bastard on the right must surely be increasing their average age to over 40!

I would be interested in a chart showing appearances of players U20 (vs number of players).

The transfer fee situation really encourages the use of older players.

• Like 1

Surely the fact that the league maturing is a major factor in this. Previously younger players when they became good would go overseas and be replaced by more younger player. Now they are hanging around longer or not leaving at all. We also have the older overseas players now seeing Australia as a viable place to wind down their careers as opposed to completely ignoring it. I suspect in time the avareage age will decline to an equilibrium level.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

"That's 300 million more eyeballs onto the game. The television numbers will be huge."

Those running football in this country selling out their loyal custodians for TV ratings 

5 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2018/01/11/glory-given-green-light-stage-league-match-asia

For the love of god why???

Not a good idea, and ridiculous to expand into Asia ... that is what the Asian Champions League is for ...

These clowns all have no idea really

He's floating the idea of an East Asian Super League - a concept raised before. It's not quite the same as the Asian Champions League. Basically because he thinks we don't have a big enough market here to grow the game, either with fans going to the game or the TV audience.

Let's face it, when is FFA going to do anything at all about expansion? At the current rate of progress, the answer is never.

At the same time Perth want to play a home match at the new Perth Stadium - capacity 60,000. Now that doesn't make sense at all.

• 5 weeks later...

This topic has interested me for a long time.

If the FFA idiots have any brains and want immediate positive impact two clubs will be introduced for next season  Brisbane Strikers and South Melbourne. 

South will give City + Victory another derby rival which will benefit all clubs. 

The Nimwits at the FFA are no better then the people from Soccer Australia who drove the game into the ground. 

A-League is crying out for expansion as its fans are. 

1 hour ago, FulhamHeart said:

This topic has interested me for a long time.

If the FFA idiots have any brains and want immediate positive impact two clubs will be introduced for next season  Brisbane Strikers and South Melbourne. 

South will give City + Victory another derby rival which will benefit all clubs. 

The Nimwits at the FFA are no better then the people from Soccer Australia who drove the game into the ground. 

A-League is crying out for expansion as its fans are. 

South Melbourne is a meme, there's no way crowds of 1k is sustainable at A-league level 

Every few months a new poster or the same with a new multi pushes the South barrow. Introducing 1 or 2 teams isn't going to fix the league, same as introducing a big name player won't fix a mediocre team.

There is a litany of factors that need to be changed way before a paticular team should be introduced or removed. 

And sadly nothing will change until the current FFA management is removed and replaced with people capable of running the game. And as far as I can tell that's not going to happen any time soon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Every few months a new poster or the same with a new multi pushes the South barrow. Introducing 1 or 2 teams isn't going to fix the league, same as introducing a big name player won't fix a mediocre team.

There is a litany of factors that need to be changed way before a paticular team should be introduced or removed. 

And sadly nothing will change until the current FFA management is removed and replaced with people capable of running the game. And as far as I can tell that's not going to happen any time soon.

FFA appears to have dropped the ball completely on anything to do with expansion - we're now one year overdue on the release of the so-called "financial criteria" for proposed expansion clubs.

I sometimes wonder what the people at FFA HQ actually do for their 40 hours pay per week.

A-  they dont even get close to 8k now

B- Most south supporters support Victory so you would be relying on them to switch

C- everyone who doesnt support City, Victory or South hate South

D- How many times has the bid put out inflated numbers which have been way off the mark.

E- Lakeside is a crap stadium

19 minutes ago, Dylan said:

A-  they dont even get close to 8k now

B- Most south supporters support Victory so you would be relying on them to switch

C- everyone who doesnt support City, Victory or South hate South

D- How many times has the bid put out inflated numbers which have been way off the mark.

E- Lakeside is a crap stadium

Pretty much all of the above. The other factor i'd suggest is that they almost certainly have a ceiling of supporters. It's difficult to envisage a neutral choosing them over the other two. 

Edited by bt50