Melbourne Football

A-league expansion

Pigeon

27 minutes ago, Milhouse20XX said:

Do those Malakas at South Melbourne Football Club still jack off over being in the A-League?

IMHO, South Melbourne Football Club can take their tzatziki flavoured A-League bid and shove it up their you-know-what

As far as I'm concerned, ETHNIC football clubs are not welcome in OUR A-League!

What are your thoughts @sheepdog?

Bloody no good ethnics ruining Straylian sports, we had no problems in tennis when guys like Hewitt and Rafter represented us, now look at these Kyrgios and Tomic blokes, it's not a coincidence.

And look at the NSL, disgraceful scenes, while in the Anglo-League we never see any fan violence or flares. Don't let the ethnics back in!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Milhouse20XX said:

I just finished reading the book "A-League" and it gives a solid case as to why the ETHNIC teams were responsible for making football in Australia a complete joke.

Lets just say its a very complex area that has been thoroughly discussed and explored since the collapse of the nsl and there is plenty of evidence to suggest the game would have suffered the same fate during that time period with or without traditional clubs too.

On 10/19/2016 at 2:49 PM, KSK_47 said:

Lets just say its a very complex area that has been thoroughly discussed and explored since the collapse of the nsl and there is plenty of evidence to suggest the game would have suffered the same fate during that time period with or without traditional clubs too.

Indeed a very complex area. However, I don't believe that whoever runs football in this country will go down the path of admitting so-called ethnic clubs into the top league, or indeed into a national Second Division if we ever can get to that stage. One reason I see for that is that this discussion always focuses on the ethnic clubs already in existence - Souths, Sydney Olympic, Knights etc. If one "old ethnic club" joins the A-League, then would we equally accept a "new ethnic club"? Migration patterns would suggest that new clubs associated with our Indian, Chinese and even Muslim communities could be just as viable and sustainable as some of the "old ethnic clubs" and I just cannot see such new clubs being admitted if they were formed.

However, rather than dwell on this old argument about ethnic clubs, IMO the FFA has a lot of work to do to set out  - and not the usual bullshit vision expressed in kite-flying terms - a program for the expansion of the A-League. FFA and Gallop flip-flop on the topic of expansion on a regular basis, but there's a lot more to it than just adding teams here and there - length of the season and co-ordination or otherwise with State League seasons, recognition of FIFA international weeks, suitable stadiums and availabilities, how to fit in other competitions such as FFA Cup and Asian Champions League into the season, salary cap, squad cap, number of marquees, number of visa players etc. etc.

To me the sensible thing to do is to sort all this stuff out before decisions are made on new clubs in the league. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

I don't just want ethnics out of football.

I want them all kicked out of the country #efnicksoutofaustralia

Um, are you not the bloke who once had a go at me for being anti ethnic/greek?

You know at the time when I had a Greek Girlfriend.

Edited by cadete

1 hour ago, hedaik said:

Cant fuck with cadetes memory

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

They call him Elephant, and its not cause of his saggy grey skin....

My good memory is fucken so annoying...

The worst part is when I have had a loose night that went way too late and I wake up and remember all the cringe worthy shit I said to Friends and often Randoms.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, True Until I die said:

I hold firm on my thoughts. The longer this league remains at only 10 teams, with only one team in certain major cities, the less likely it will be to add additional teams inn the same city at a later stage.

I agree. But TBH, I don't think Melbourne can accommodate an additional team. Sydney yes, because it is more easily thought of in regions. I also don't think any of the other capitals can accommodate an additional team. IMO growth has to be via places such as Canberra and Wollongong, which would be my first two off the rank. It's fine to have the backing of organizations such as CFG and Ledman, but I also think that local backing  should be part of a club wherever possible.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

I agree. But TBH, I don't think Melbourne can accommodate an additional team. Sydney yes, because it is more easily thought of in regions. I also don't think any of the other capitals can accommodate an additional team. IMO growth has to be via places such as Canberra and Wollongong, which would be my first two off the rank. It's fine to have the backing of organizations such as CFG and Ledman, but I also think that local backing  should be part of a club wherever possible.

I think Melbourne can, but it can't be based in the CBD. Absolutely would need to be a SouthEast/Geelong/Western Suburbs team.
There's still a hell of a lot of people that dont follow A League in this state that could be picked up by a localised team.

Tbh i wouldnt be against South Melbourne coming in, but theyd need to be forced to change colours and drop the name Hellas. Don't think there is a hell of a lot of 'effnik' issues with them these days, Knights remain the FFV's problem child.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I think Melbourne can, but it can't be based in the CBD. Absolutely would need to be a SouthEast/Geelong/Western Suburbs team.
There's still a hell of a lot of people that dont follow A League in this state that could be picked up by a localised team.

Tbh i wouldnt be against South Melbourne coming in, but theyd need to be forced to change colours and drop the name Hellas. Don't think there is a hell of a lot of 'effnik' issues with them these days, Knights remain the FFV's problem child.

The knights arent the problem children for the ffv. The victory npl team are.

8 minutes ago, Tesla said:

You're definitely the bloke that went to the University of St Albans though.

Did you share your anti-effnick thoughts while you were there? :hmm: 

BTW I found where he made an absoulte fucken full of himself calling me Racist and Anti-Ethnic... however I had forgotten how he did not know how to use the Quote System on this Forum which makes it more hilarious. 

forum.melbournefootball.com/topic/3158-afl-2015-season/?page=3

(Page Three of the AFL 2015 Thread)

So King the answer is now: YES you did indeed make those comments. :up:

Edited by cadete

38 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Arent they south Melbourne football club as the title says?

expansion will largely depend on what tv broadcasters want, if they tell the ffa we want a 3rd Melb and Sydney that's what we will get, derbies sell, regional teams not so much.

personally I think a 3rd team built from scratch in this city or Geelong would represent major risk, this is a very city centric place anything outside the immediate cbd is doomed to fail. That's where south come into play.

if they ever decide to go for south I'm of the opposite view to what many would say, don't make them change colours, don't force them to adopt a cheesy nickname, let them be smfc, let them be blue/white or red/white (original colours perhaps away strip like they used in ffa cup). Allow them to be sorta like the port Adelaide of the A league. 

i watched them play 3 times this season, one of them against victory and the grand final, you could clearly see their supporters are very much football orientated, whilst the scum were trying to kill them and only interested in punching up. 

3 minutes ago, Geo400 said:

Arent they south Melbourne football club as the title says?

expansion will largely depend on what tv broadcasters want, if they tell the ffa we want a 3rd Melb and Sydney that's what we will get, derbies sell, regional teams not so much.

personally I think a 3rd team built from scratch in this city or Geelong would represent major risk, this is a very city centric place anything outside the immediate cbd is doomed to fail. That's where south come into play.

if they ever decide to go for south I'm of the opposite view to what many would say, don't make them change colours, don't force them to adopt a cheesy nickname, let them be smfc, let them be blue/white or red/white (original colours perhaps away strip like they used in ffa cup). Allow them to be sorta like the port Adelaide of the A league. 

i watched them play 3 times this season, one of them against victory and the grand final, you could clearly see their supporters are very much football orientated, whilst the scum were trying to kill them and only interested in punching up. 

The Geelong Region is the fastest growing region in Victoria and very close as one of the fastest in Australia in terms of Houses and more importantly Schools being built... the surroundings of Geelong in twenty years time will be unrecognisable to what they look like today.

When PPL move down to the Surf Coast and have kids its an uphill struggle to get them to support their AFL Melbourne Side over the Cats so a Soccer Team could also have that in its favour... also this is a long existing thing not something to due to Geelong's success in the late 2000's.

Geelong clearly must be on the radar since they've hosted a few games there over the last couple of years with healthy attendances seen at most of them.

It'd be interesting to see who the FFA would choose as a third Victorian entity if they were to head down that path during the next phase of expansion, though. 

One team from Canberra/NSW and one team from Victoria would make sense in terms of derbies and capital growth, which is what the FFA seems to want to capitalise upon. 

The consensus has been that the victory games up there have been mostly people travelling up from Melbourne.

Geelong is an intriguing proposition, a lot would depend on who their backers are and the costs associated with running the team out of a very big venue like kardinia park. 

3 hours ago, Tesla said:

You're definitely the bloke that went to the University of St Albans though.

Did you share your anti-effnick thoughts while you were there? :hmm: 

Lol k. Clearly a joke my original post but whatever. It is what is. I'll make sure i put a big **WARNING SATIRE** label next time i post something like that :up:

2 hours ago, cadete said:

BTW I found where he made an absoulte fucken full of himself calling me Racist and Anti-Ethnic... however I had forgotten how he did not know how to use the Quote System on this Forum which makes it more hilarious. 

forum.melbournefootball.com/topic/3158-afl-2015-season/?page=3

(Page Three of the AFL 2015 Thread)

So King the answer is now: YES you did indeed make those comments. :up:

"Secondly, why the overreaction? Whether it offends you are you think that i'm misinformed about the issue where i've seen a family friend not being able to get out of bed due to it, I bet if i had said something like "Geelong won't win cause of all the effnicks in there team lol" I would've gotten a pat on the ass and 80 likes. I guess racism is fine but making fun of people of depression on here is where you draw the line right?"

I'm assuming this is the quote where i am supposedly calling you a racist? Even though i was referring to how people on this forum in general had made racial jibes in the past and hadn't been picked up on it (which as you can see here, you admitted happens quite frequently on forums like these, and was the whole point of that argument) 

(And FWIW if I called up someone every time for being Racist on a Aussie Sokka Forum it would be a full time job)

I honestly have no idea how from that quote you thought i was calling you a racist.  So you came up with nothing to point to me calling you a racist on this forum... so you can now officially drop that poor argument :up:

More to the point, why are you so petty all the time? Do you just like a good internet fight? Because if you're just going to blow up every time someone posts something you don't like maybe stay off the internet? Whether you thought it was a shit joke or not, chill winston. Relax. You'll be alright

25 minutes ago, Geo400 said:

The consensus has been that the victory games up there have been mostly people travelling up from Melbourne.

True, but was also considering the Atletico Madrid game too, which was a decent crowd despite the ticket prices and Madrid fielding a 'B team'. 

Kardinia Park also surprisingly has a decent atmosphere for football despite being an AFL ground, depending on where you're sitting anyway. 

Edited by RedAndWhitePride

1 hour ago, kingofhearts said:

Lol k. Clearly a joke my original post but whatever. It is what is. I'll make sure i put a big **WARNING SATIRE** label next time i post something like that :up:

"Secondly, why the overreaction? Whether it offends you are you think that i'm misinformed about the issue where i've seen a family friend not being able to get out of bed due to it, I bet if i had said something like "Geelong won't win cause of all the effnicks in there team lol" I would've gotten a pat on the ass and 80 likes. I guess racism is fine but making fun of people of depression on here is where you draw the line right?"

I'm assuming this is the quote where i am supposedly calling you a racist? Even though i was referring to how people on this forum in general had made racial jibes in the past and hadn't been picked up on it (which as you can see here, you admitted happens quite frequently on forums like these, and was the whole point of that argument) 

(And FWIW if I called up someone every time for being Racist on a Aussie Sokka Forum it would be a full time job)

I honestly have no idea how from that quote you thought i was calling you a racist.  So you came up with nothing to point to me calling you a racist on this forum... so you can now officially drop that poor argument :up:

More to the point, why are you so petty all the time? Do you just like a good internet fight? Because if you're just going to blow up every time someone posts something you don't like maybe stay off the internet? Whether you thought it was a shit joke or not, chill winston. Relax. You'll be alright

I just like calling out flogs like you for saying daft things when I'm bored at work... because it's fun and I'm good at it. :up:

And I have meet u once and you were def not the relaxed one out of us two.

Also it doesn't matter what you post... you are never gonna get likes or a pat on the back here.