Melbourne Football

A-league expansion

Pigeon

Noticed there wasn't a topic for this so was just wondering where everyone thinks the next expansion clubs will be and if they could see any arriving soon!

I remember Sydney Rovers were granted a license but i believe West Sydney ended up being created, people seem to think the next clubs could be in Canberra and Tasmania so it'll be interesting to see!

I think no more clubs should be added to the league until the current clubs are in a position of long-term sustainability.

This, if the FFA didnt learn that the league isnt ready for 2 more smaller market teams then i will be pretty upset. let the 10 teams grow, profit then look at 2 more teams in atleast 4-5 years imo if not longer.

I think if you add a team they should have the potential to be 15K crowds at some point, and i dont see Tasmania or Canberra doing that personally.

Noticed there wasn't a topic for this so was just wondering where everyone thinks the next expansion clubs will be and if they could see any arriving soon!

I remember Sydney Rovers were granted a license but i believe West Sydney ended up being created, people seem to think the next clubs could be in Canberra and Tasmania so it'll be interesting to see!

This is discussed at length every second month in topic with a variety of headings,

And Inb4 Che adovates Canberra for the next A League team.

• Like 1

The main thing that needs to be looked at for the future expansion is lowering the stadia requirements. Stadiums like Epping, Lakeside Stadium, etc should meet the requirements to enable clubs to pay lower rent instead of places like Suncorp, ANZ, etc being 20% capacity all the time. IIRC Falcons Park in Morwell sold for $750k, that's same amount to QLD government charged the FFA to host the Roar v Mariners Grand Final of 2 seasons ago. If clubs can get themselves better stadium deals then more clubs could be profitable ventures for investors rather than the bottomless money pits that they currently are due to the FFA's lofty stadium criteria.

South Melbourne would automatically be a viable option as they have a very cosy deal at Lakeside that would make them viable on small crowds, plus they'd get some good crowds against Heart & Visitors to boost the coffers. They'd be the most prepared to go tomorrow of all the bids, but the likelyhood of it happening is low. I couldn't give a shit about their past, if they meet the criteria and would add another competetive team to the A-League I'd be all for it.

A 10 team league gets stale pretty quickly, ideally 16 would be ideal with a 30 game home and away season, but unless the FFA are prepared to allow the likes of SM, Marconi, etc into the comp then we'll probably only ever get to 12 on the current franchise based system with Canberra and Wollongong the most likely.

• Like 1

The thing that is/has been killing clubs has been the stadium deals. Our break-even crowd on matchday is 11-12k if I'm correct. A ridiculous amount considering that half the stadium individual staff's wages would be paid everytime someone bought an overpriced bucket of chips and a beer.

The FFA needs to step in and only allocate Socceroo's matches with State Governments that are prepared to give reasonable stadia deals to A-League clubs. Once this gets sorted clubs will become profitable and investors may become interested in purchasing licenses to future franchises.

Right now you need millionares or the FFA to fund clubs losses, and there's scarce amount of those in supply.

I believe that stadium costs plays are massive part in the clubs financial problems. I think the solution is, buying a little stadium or park-like stadium.

If the heart decided to buy or build their own stadium, I would 100% would put money into the club to help that.

PS. Realised this is so off topic..

Edited by MrAiDaN66

Only areas viable for expansion at this time would be:

-Canberra

-North queensland/Gold Coast (If they properly market it this time around)

-Wollongong

-Tasmania

-Geelong

The A-league wouldn't even consider south melbourne because of it's ethnic ties. 2 teams in melbourne is enough as it is anyway.

I would add kalgoorlie, townsville and another adelaide team

Edited by MrAiDaN66

, I think the aim should be to have another couple of teams in by 2015.

you do know it is 2013 right?

for the next expansions, they need to be build at least a season before. give them a season or so in the youth league, promoting etc. to let them grow a fan base.

i hope the ffa don't throw a team into a city a few months before the season starts and expect it to grow like wsw, no other region/city could do that obviously.

, I think the aim should be to have another couple of teams in by 2015.

you do know it is 2013 right?

for the next expansions, they need to be build at least a season before. give them a season or so in the youth league, promoting etc. to let them grow a fan base.

i hope the ffa don't throw a team into a city a few months before the season starts and expect it to grow like wsw, no other region/city could do that obviously.

IMO I would be looking to make sure the teams in the competition at the moment have a sustainable future, and then look into adding teams the way you have mentioned by or past 2020

This is discussed at length every second month in topic with a variety of headings,

And Inb4 Che adovates Canberra for the next A League team.

:up:

Canberra is the only viable expansion at the moment, and it should have been done this season ffs.

But to be fair i was wrong about Western Sydney being succesful in the thousands of other expansion threads, kudos to FFA / West Sydney for doing so well. But surely this is incentive for FFA to keep expanding in the next few years.

Edited by Che

No, it's not the only viable one at the moment, North Queensland is the best option if done properly, more-so than Canberra, the population AND football population is huge, if I remember correctly, more juniors play in that area more than anywhere else? Would have been a great expansion back in 09 or whenever it was, unfortunately not, but soon I'm sure it will be.

I would be all for a Geelong A-League team, although it would be incredibly difficult to do so considering most of Geelong is AFL mad. However if marketed correctly it could work. Also the Cats reach is far beyond Geelong, alot of Western Victoria supports Geelong so that is a potential market I suppose for a Geelong based team. An alignment with the cats could also be beneficial, even wearing blue and white hoops (like QPR) could be good.

I am also sure that an 'away trip' to Geelong would be a hoot and a half :P.

No, it's not the only viable one at the moment, North Queensland is the best option if done properly, more-so than Canberra, the population AND football population is huge, if I remember correctly, more juniors play in that area more than anywhere else? Would have been a great expansion back in 09 or whenever it was, unfortunately not, but soon I'm sure it will be.

Canberra has aprox 16,000 registered players - definitly more per capita than anywhere else in Australia - and is significantly larger in actual population than North Queensland, so no, gtfo. Canberra already has a W-League team for christ sake, clearly the best option.

Also i don't understand the argument of 'If North Queensland was done properly". What wasn't done properly about it back when they actually existed and failed?

• Like 1

I think you can look at Geelong in two ways,

One by labelling the Newcastle Jets a success or by labelling the Newcastle Jets a failure as IMO the conditions in Geelong are very similar to Newcastle.

Both Newcastle and Geelong and the second largest cities in the Australia's most populated States, they are both are also obsessed with a more traditional Australian Sport and their local team in its national league.

They also have both always had a local Soccer Scene, however Newcastle’s due to a large immigration of British Miners was always slightly larger than Geelong’s scene which centred around Post WW2 European Immigration, namely from Croatia.

If the FFA was keen on giving a license to a Geelong-based team, Cadete - do you think the Cats would be keen on expanding their brand at all?

In a word "No" I cant see this happening,

But I agree its the only slightly possible workable example of AFL team working with a Soccer side such is the dominance of Geelong Supporters in Geelong.

(We all know of course about the Carlton and Collingwood/Bergers experiments).

With the new TV deal in place, new teams could be added straight away (though it would be a couple of seasons till they are full established and actually playing). Its a very different ballgame now financially then when NQF and GC were added. GC's failure was down to the FFA kicking them out anyway, rather than financial collapse.

The major problem with both NQF and GC was the stadium deals that others mention. The Qld government charge excessively for stadium usage, I hope they now enjoy having 2 less tenants.

I don't see why a team couldn't be added if there is enough support from the key stakeholders. If the fans are there, a reasonable stadium deal can be put in place, and investors can be found, then why not.

However, it wont be happening anytime soon, as it looks to me like the FFA are using the APL to find areas that would be suitable for an A-League team, which I have advocated in the past as per what has been done in the US. This is a good idea and will make new A-League clubs less of a risk and easier to set up, its just that it will mean we have to wait longer until we have a league that isn't a joke in terms of the number of participating clubs.

Any centre with a population <300k probably won't have the base of support (CCM notwithstanding)

:droy: :droy: :droy:

A center with a population of 100k could support an A-League team if marketed properly and there isn't competition.

In a word "No" I cant see this happening,

But I agree its the only slightly possible workable example of AFL team working with a Soccer side such is the dominance of Geelong Supporters in Geelong.

(We all know of course about the Carlton and Collingwood/Bergers experiments).

Maybe not an alignment, but as I said even giving them blue and white hoops to offer that familiarity. Geelong is sporting mad, and people from Geelong tend to be proud to be from Geelong, so really playing to that pride could really help an A-League team there.