Melbourne Football

Lets talk about our finals chances for a sec

Tesla

Another nail in the finals coffin tonight when Vidosic's goal was disallowed in the dying stages of the REDSvJETS game granting Newcastle another crucial point, taking them to 31.

This puts Newcastle now 4 points in front of us, which means even if we win tomorrow we MUST get at LEAST a draw against Brisbane. I have some confidence that we can pull this off.

The other ducks we need to line up is 1) for CCM to be out of the Premiership Plate race in the last round, yet not be at risk of finishing third. If this happens then 2) Graham Arnold might see the game against us as a "dead rubber" and rest some of his better players because we play them on Saturday March 30th and they have an AFC must-win home-match against Guizhou Renhe (3rd in Group) on the following Tuesday the 3rd of April. If there's more emphasis placed on the AFC game then 3) we might have a good chance of beating them  :unsure:

It's not impossible, which makes it achievable!

We may not be worthy, and we haven't been playing well enough to make the finals. But most of the other teams around us aren't much good either, so it might as well be us.

Just having a look at the fixture, if we can somehow lift in these last 3 games, 2 wins might be enough. And I reckon 2 wins and a draw would leave us with a decent chance. It wouldn't matter much, but the league being as it is, 6th will probably get us into a final in Melbourne, which would be a chance to salvage something out of this mostly shit season.

• Like 1

Comes down to needing to win 2 away games, having not won one game all year ha!

Fuck me. Aloisi should go all out attack,

Babalj and Tadic in a 4-4-2 everyone playing for a contract, including JA, and go for it. Cant be worse than any of our previous performance, right?

Edited by United

Making the finals will see The Munnster come out and say we've achieved our season's objective, so all is good, meaning we can keep doing what we've been doing and nothing needs to change.

You know what. I think the reality of the situation is now a reality check or will be at seasons end for the club. If we make the finals it will gloss over all the shit.

Hopefully the people at the club have been square and fairly hit in between the eyes with the situation. Massive errors and mistakes have been made in the offseason that should not ever be repeated. These mistakes have set us back three years. I think we are back at the first year development in a lot of areas. On and off the field.

The club needed a wake up call. If they don't answer it, it will be critical. I sure hope they do.

This off season is massive.

Edited by Melburnian
  • Like 3

I too, as optimistic as I am have given up on finals. Agree that of we scrape in with finals, it will "make everything ok".

There have been lots of opportunities this season where the games had been lost where they should have been won. If they played with the same intensity as the wSW game this sat it have been a different story.

A finish at the end, which will be marked down on paper will be a cause for action. Just missing out or making finals will just prolong the fate.

I AM looking forward to hopefully an even newer looking Heart next season

Love your optimism Jimmy but that won't happen.

It's not really optimism, I'd rather us finish last than sixth at this point. I'm also not saying that we'll win those games, I'd be staggered if we did. But IF we do win both the games we WILL play finals.

Edited by Jimmy

It really is a bad look on the competition that we are still in finals contention. Although unlikely if we win both remaing games we'll most likely make it. When it's a 10 team competition having a top 6 is just foolish. Surely it's time to either go to a 4 or 5 team finals format.

6 is fine for finals, it gives each team incentive to play well to make finals that are challenging for the last two spots currently. Think the club's first incentive is to win an away game