Melbourne Football

JVS - The coach from the land of chronic

Heart Fanatic

Jvs had 2 stints at the helm with plenty of time to get this rubble firing.

Popa started from zero with a bunch of rejects and maybe couple of decent players and look what he achieved

Stop defending this Dutch pancake.

He either delivers top 4 finish or can pack up his shit and start a tanning salons business in Mehico

• Like 3

People need to understand that this is a process. everyone on here really underestimates the damage done by the previous owners and coach. Whether JVS is the right coach to lead us forward or not, keep the faith gents. I guarantee that if we're going shit in our first 10 games, we will see some action taken by our new owners to remedy the situation, compared to our old owners who would do fuck all.

Presumptions makes an ass out of you and me.

We can only go on what's put before us, which to me is a bit wanting so far.

WSW were probably the only team other than us not to take th FFA cup seriously, because they played ACL 4 days after or something.

Whoever goes far in the FFA cup will have a good season one could postulate, let alone the confidence boost, but a good pre-season against A-League opposition.

It's almost an extended season and if you include finals, to miss out on both means you play good opposition a lot less and our season is short enough as it is.

Worry is not unfounded, it's not pessimistic, it's a deduction built on truism.

Edited by moops

Wsw have built success upon negative tactics, cunts of fans and generous support from the Ffa.

Not a team I draw inspiration from.

Haha, I'm not their biggest fan by no means and if heart got a percentage of support they had, or any other team (I'm pretty sure we are the only A-League team not get any form of assistance from the ffa) we may have done better, at least in the ice bin department.

But CCM are probably more poor than us, trying to keep their centre of excellence afloat, but they do pretty well.

City shouldn't look at what if's, but what we can do better.

• 3 weeks later...

Given the current squad and assuming Kennedy and a half decent left back...

Minimum result this season for me to consider JVS at all successful: 4th. 

edit: don't care for any excuses. 

if Kennedy does come to fruition then i agree a playoff for a spot in the grand final (barring injuries) would have to be a minimum 

I have never really made it a secret that I am very dubious about the guy. During his first stint here he seemed to have an attitude that he was too good to be here (which he pretty much admitted he had) despite not showing any signs of that being true. Then after he left to Mexico for "family reasons" only to return to the clubs payroll as Aloisi's mentor- via Skype mind you, not in the country I really started to ask what he had to offer. After taking back his old job we saw a brief glimpse at that style of play that he was hired to bring to the club only to have it dissappear as quickly as it came. The excuse was always he didn't have the right squad and my thoughts were always a bad worker blames their tools.

I want nothing more than for him to show that he is worthy of all this praise and hype. Obviously if he can show his worth I will be over the moon. But if we don't get a good show this season serious questions need to be asked. 3rd or 4th is a very low pass in my eyes if we get Kennedy too.

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 2

I have never really made it a secret that I am very dubious about the guy. During his first stint here he seemed to have an attitude that he was too good to be here (which he pretty much admitted he had) despite not showing any signs of that being true. Then after he left to Mexico for "family reasons" only to return to the clubs payroll as Aloisi's mentor- via Skype mind you, not in the country I really started to ask what he had to offer. After taking back his old job we saw a brief glimpse at that style of play that he was hired to bring to the club only to have it dissappear as quickly as it came. The excuse was always he didn't have the right squad and my thoughts were always a bad worker blames their tools.

I want nothing more than for him to show that he is worthy of all this praise and hype. Obviously if he can show his worth I will be over the moon. But if we don't get a good show this season serious questions need to be asked. 3rd or 4th is a very low pass in my eyes if we get Kennedy too.

You don't think much of the other sides or coaches, do you? Reminds me of Clive Palmer when he said that he could build a club that would win the premiership in its first season.

You don't think much of the other sides or coaches, do you? Reminds me of Clive Palmer when he said that he could build a club that would win the premiership in its first season.

Well yeah if we take out the other coaches I reckon I could coach us to a top 4 finish.  

As it iss we have JVS because the others have theirs.

Well, GCU finished third in that first season...

Edited by jw1739

Well, GCU finished third in that first season...

This

And this will be JVS' third season

Edited by KSK_47

My opinion on JVS is well documented on this forum. I think he is a good coach but I have my concerns if he can takes us from being a good football team to a team that wins championships.

Now he has a quality squad at his disposal with a great mix of experience and youth with star players in Duff, Koren and Mooy. From what I've seen so far in preseason the team is taking real shape now... The first half against CCM is Lismore was about as one sided as you can get, complete domination and relentless pressure on the ball from Melbourne City FC

If we play like that this season we will be hard to beat, my only concern is our ability to finish our chances that we create.

JVS will be responsible for not signing a recognised striker if the goals don't come...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My opinion on JVS is well documented on this forum. I think he is a good coach but I have my concerns if he can takes us from being a good football team to a team that wins championships.

Now he has a quality squad at his disposal with a great mix of experience and youth with star players in Duff, Koren and Mooy. From what I've seen so far in preseason the team is taking real shape now... The first half against CCM is Lismore was about as one sided as you can get, complete domination and relentless pressure on the ball from Melbourne City FC

If we play like that this season we will be hard to beat, my only concern is our ability to finish our chances that we create.

JVS will be responsible for not signing a recognised striker if the goals don't come...

"Now he has a quality squad at his disposal' - He does not.  We have an unbalanced squad lacking depth and we lack competition for positions. Compared to Victory our squad is rubbish.  Could you imagine a player of Connor Pain's ability starting on the bench for us, or someone like Victory's Andrew Nabbout - better than what we have - not making the bench?

• 4 weeks later...

Melbourne City FC enjoying capital gains

By Euan Reedie Chief Sports Writer – Abu Dhabi

January 11, 2015

Abu Dhabi-owned outfit want to deliver ‘beautiful’ football like sister club Man City, says coach Van’t Schip

Abu Dhabi: Abu Dhabi-owned Melbourne City FC are striving to be a force to be reckoned with Down Under like their sister club Manchester City in England.

That’s the message from coach John van’t Schip, who says he is eager to deliver ‘beautiful’ football – in the same vein as the illustrious Ajax and Netherlands sides he played for did in the 1980s and 1990s.

The sixth-placed Australian Hyundai A-League outfit arrived in the capital for a 12-day training camp on Friday and were due to take on Arabian Gulf League leaders Al Jazira in a friendly on Sunday evening.

They were bought by owner of defending English Premier League champions Manchester City, Shaikh Mansour Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Deputy Prime Minister of the UAE and Minister of Presidential Affairs, last year.

The club are part of his City Football Group, which includes Man City and New York City FC, and are determined to make a name for themselves alongside the more high-profile pair.

Canada-born Van’t Schip hailed the partnership, which has involved the club acquiring lucrative kit sponsorship deals with Nike and Etihad Airways, telling Gulf News in an exclusive interview: “The City Football Group provides us with information, resources and facilities which help to grow the club in a way that will benefit not only players, but also coaches, administrators and football in Australia in general.”

He added: “I’m very excited that we can spend 12 days here and play games in Abu Dhabi. It’s important for our team to continue to progress and develop as we head into the second half of our season back in Australia. The facilities and the hospitality have been fantastic, so we are in the right environment for the players to train and work hard together.”

Outlining his playing philosophy, the former teammate of Dutch football legends such as Johan Cruyff and Marco van Basten and a member of the star-studded Netherlands squad which won the 1988 European Championships, said: “We want to play a beautiful brand of football, with focus on ball possession and creating attacking opportunities. We want to make the people and fans feel part of our club and keep them coming back and so far this season the fans in Melbourne have been great at our matches.”

The former winger, who ended his career at Italian side Genoa after scoring 40 times in 380 appearances between 1981 and 1996, added that football is in rude health in Australia.

The country is currently hosting the Asian Cup and is home to the 2014 Asian Champions League winners, Western Sydney Wanderers, he pointed out.

The 51-year-old, who started his coaching career at Ajax, before becoming Netherlands assistant coach to Van Basten between 2004 and 2008, said: “The standard is improving each season and we are seeing more teams playing entertaining, attacking football. With Western Sydney Wanderers’ win in the Asian Champions League, Australia has shown that their teams can match a high level of football.”

Italian great and 2006 World Cup winner Alessandro Del Piero and former England striker Emile Heskey are among the star names who have graced the league in recent seasons.

Ex-Chelsea and Republic of Ireland winger Damien Duff is Melbourne’s most renowned player, while Spanish legend David Villa added further lustre to the club when he joined on loan from New York City FC last year.

Of the former Barcelona and Atletico Madrid striker, who netted twice in four appearances, Van’t Schip said: “David was very down to earth and integrated well into the team from the start. The boys also enjoyed having a world-class player around them and it helped to lift them to a higher level, especially in training.

He was a great person to work with and his right foot is one of the deadliest I have seen in my career as player and coach.”

Van’t Schip, who coached Guadalajara in Mexico before moving to Australia, enjoyed a bountiful career himself, winning a host of trophies with Ajax and playing 41 times for the Netherlands.

He said: “I have good memories of my years as a youth player in the academy of Ajax playing in tournaments abroad against fantastic opponents. Later in my career, the games in the first team of Ajax when we won two European finals, against Torino [the Uefa Cup in 1992] and Lokomotiv Leipzig [in the European Cup Winners’ Cup in 1987], were also very memorable.

“With the national team, my great memories include playing in the 1988 European Championship in Germany and also playing the World Cup 1990 in Italy and the Euro Championship 1992 in Sweden. If I have to choose two players who were the best I played with, then one would be Johan Cruyff and two, Marco van Basten.”

http://gulfnews.com/sport/uae/melbourne-city-fc-enjoying-capital-gains-1.1439521

• 1 year later...

Melbourne City coach John van’t Schip on his friendship with the legendary Johan Cruyff

March 27, 2016

By John Van't Schip

MELBOURNE City coach John van’t Schip writes about his friendship with Johan Cruyff and the deep influence the Dutch legend had on his life:

BORN in Canada, I was an eight-year-old ice-hockey lover who didn’t speak a word of Dutch when my family returned to the Netherlands.

Weeks later a moment completely changed my life — the 1972 European Cup final between Ajax and Inter Milan.

Johan Cruyff entered my young heart on a very deep level and I never looked back.

What Johan did with the ball was pure magic, he became an instant idol as it inspired me to join a local team as I regularly dreamt of playing for Ajax and befriending Johan.

Nine years later on senior debut, my first action was receiving the ball from a player who yelled “take him on”, and I did, drawing a foul and earning praise from him.

It was Cruyff and that day, 6 December 1981, was historic because it was Johan’s comeback game, eight years after leaving for Barcelona.

Some dreams do come true, which is why I’m fond of the quote: “the future belongs to those who believe in the power of their dreams”.

If not for Cruyff, I wouldn’t have even played. He spotted me in the youth team and told first team coach Kurt Linder to give me a chance.

Johan believed in me much more than I believed in myself.

He remained ever-present in my life, the biggest influence on my playing career — I played 41 times for Netherlands — and coaching career and constant football father-teacher.

He was a revolutionary as a player and coach, always thinking two steps ahead, demanding his teams entertained while having an eye for young talent.

The two-and-a-half years Johan coached me — I was one of his captains — remain the foundations of my coaching. To this day I think ‘’how would Johan act? What would Johan have done?’’

Johan advised the Dutch federation to appoint Marco van Basten and I as national team coaches in 2004, where we qualified for the 2006 World Cup and Euro 2008.

He appointed me at Mexican club Chivas Guadalajara in 2012 where we resumed regular, intensive discussions about football and life, which I relished.

Johan was an extraordinary person. While playing in the US, he taught a child with Down syndrome to swim and play soccer, which led to the creation of the Johan Cruyff Foundation.

When Cruyff returned to Barcelona as coach in 1988 — he left Ajax after a disagreement with the board — they had never won the Champions League and the famed La Masia academy didn’t exist.

Now he’s viewed as the most influential figure in Barca history.

When Melbourne Heart approached me in 2009, Johan gave me his blessing and said he’d always wished to travel to Australia.

Unfortunately he never came as he was taken from us too soon, though his legacy lives on.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/melbourne-city-coach-john-vant-schip-on-his-friendship-with-the-legendary-johan-cruyff/news-story/8497da93c22c7a9034628c4c786683a3

• Like 6