Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

It may sound stupid, but I think if we are to sign a marquee it would have to be a famous/well known player that pulls in crowds, rather than a shinji Ono who only plays well and not so much a crowd puller

You're probably right. That's why we should try and get someone like Frank Lampard. If he's prepared to play for $2 million to $3 million a season we should easily recover that through increased sponsorships, marketing, memberships, jersey sales, etc. He's still playing quality football and also scores goals. Never say never. Sydney FC refused to think it was impossible to bring Alessandro del Piero to the A League. Remember folks, he was still captain of Juventus. With Alessandro del Piero and Emile Heskey both coming to the A League plus IMPORTANTLY enjoying the experience, quality players overseas are now not automatically dismissing the A League.

It may sound stupid, but I think if we are to sign a marquee it would have to be a famous/well known player that pulls in crowds, rather than a shinji Ono who only plays well and not so much a crowd puller

You're probably right. That's why we should try and get someone like Frank Lampard. If he's prepared to play for $2 million to $3 million a season we should easily recover that through increased sponsorships, marketing, memberships, jersey sales, etc. He's still playing quality football and also scores goals. Never say never. Sydney FC refused to think it was impossible to bring Alessandro del Piero to the A League. Remember folks, he was still captain of Juventus. With Alessandro del Piero and Emile Heskey both coming to the A League plus IMPORTANTLY enjoying the experience, quality players overseas are now not automatically dismissing the A League.

Perfectly put! If $$ is high, they still have plenty of ways to bring in money, jersey sales are massive when it comes to a very well known player. Memberships would go up with a signing like lampard. I know I would gladly buy a heart jersey with his name on the back of it.

Tim Cahill will probably tell Aloisi that he wants to join the A-League, Aloisi will tell Munn, Munn will announce it to the papers, the papers will publish a story then Tim Cahill will sign with WSW.

Just like the "Neill-gate" debacle.

I think you've got this one wrong. Dave Davutovic in the Herald Sun said that it was his journo mate Tom Smithies who 'outed' Heart and then JA got questioned and he could hardly lie I suppose. But how did Smithies know about Heart's approach to Neil?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/studs-up-lucas-neills-ugly-spat-with-melbourne-heart/story-e6frfg8x-1226580024246

Look, I know there hasn't been enough evidence gathered on this yet, but I still support the idea that winning games will increase crowds.

So if we get a marquee, great. But it has to be someone that will have a strong on field role, not just be here for marketing. Shinji Ono is having a much greater impact for his club than many other marquees because he's great to watch, and helps them win games. Getting a big name in itself doesn't have any long term benefit. But getting a damn good player and winning silverware will make that player a big name in this market, even if he isn't one to begin with.

I'd also like someone who could be here for more than one season, someone we could start thinking of as our own, and who's not likely to be injured most of the time. So preferably players under 35.

(Edit: But as long as we're dreaming, Pirlo would be pretty amazing.)

Edited by Sash
  • Like 1

Well I'd like to see a class act ~23- 25 year old South American, at the top of his game, that no one has ever heard of. Ok won't get the crowds in straight away, but when he starts shredding the opposition like say Broich, Berisha or Fred the crowds will come.

The problem with all the really big names is that they are well passed it when they would entertain a move to Australia.

• Like 2

Well I'd like to see a class act ~23- 25 year old South American, at the top of his game, that no one has ever heard of. Ok won't get the crowds in straight away, but when he starts shredding the opposition like say Broich, Berisha or Fred the crowds will come.

The problem with all the really big names is that they are well passed it when they would entertain a move to Australia.

That's why with a club like us, in a country like ours, the best thing would probably the player where they aren't exactly young but full of class and a crowd puller

Raul would be AMAAAAAAZING!! Although he's 35 now, and 36 at the end of June he only signed with Qatari side Al Sadd for the 2012/13 season so he'll be available next season if he's fit.

Raul, Del Piero, Figo, etc - they were the Messi, Ronaldo, Iniesta, etc during my teenage years growing up and the first two are still playing so it'd be a thrill to see either one of the play at AAMI Park!

Del Piero at SFC Vs Raul at MHFC next season... droooooollllll :wub:

Seedorf was another one, but he'll be 37 in April and last year signed a 2 year deal with Botafogo so there's he's definitely out!

I agree with this concept, although I wouldn't restrict the choice to South America. Someone with flair who's going to set the crowd alight. Performance on the pitch doing the crowd-pulling, not just a 'name.'

Ronaldinho's contract ends this year. Will be 33 by the start of next season. According to this he is worth about 2.7 Mil and would probably pull more than Del Piero

http://www.transferm...ieler_3373.html

The guy wants to play in the World Cup in his home country in 2014 - there is no way he'll be leaving Brazil before the World Cup. We might be able to get him for the 2014/15 season, but most definitely not for 2013/14.

Van Bommel?

made me think of:

Seedorf?

Ambrosini?

Nesta?

Remarkably, Nesta is only on a few hundred thousand in America, whereas Cahill is over $2m, from memory.

IMO hes a very realistic signing. its just that a defender wouldnt pull crowds like a stiker/Attacking mid would.

plus who would want to play for Montreal? ;)

Nicotera, these guys were upset by your post and despite the heading on the video are on their way to your house!

:)

• Like 1

Ronaldinho's contract ends this year. Will be 33 by the start of next season. According to this he is worth about 2.7 Mil and would probably pull more than Del Piero

http://www.transferm...ieler_3373.html

The guy wants to play in the World Cup in his home country in 2014 - there is no way he'll be leaving Brazil before the World Cup. We might be able to get him for the 2014/15 season, but most definitely not for 2013/14.

True, forgot about that. Well good luck to the guy, he'll be going for the same spot as Oscar, Kaka and Lusas Moura all of which are younger and better than him atm.

I must admit this article did get my hopes up, maybe its true, maybe the club is looking at making this club financially viable first ... Like the saying goes "short term pain for long term gain"... I sincerely hope this article is a strong indicator of the clubs intention for next season.

It makes sense to me, we currently sit in 8th place and with a lose this weekend we could be 9th and a couple of point away from bottom, but the club seems to relaxed. Lets be fair I think we would all agree JA is on a picnic doesn't display any sort of pressure, doesn't but any pressure on the players.I mean we have basically gone a whole season not being able to win away... and we are atRd 21.

So looking at the facts and putting a positive spin on this situation, maybe the club has big plans not only for next season but maybe for the next 3-5 seasons and all I no is that the off season comes and goes very quickly and new signing will need to be made just as quick.

So Mr. Sidwell the desicion if I buy my Membership next season won't be up to me it will be up to the club, and since you have gone on record as saying you will give JA $$$ to spend I can only hope you stay true to your word.

If Broich, Hernandez, Fred's teams were losing would their attendences increase? I doubt it.

Genuine marquees regardless of results improve crowds - Yorke, Fowler, Heskey, Del Piero, Kewell. The last 4, their teams were mediocre to last, but big crowds none the less.

Did Fowler really bring in consistently big crowds at NQF?

Same deal with Heskey now at Newy?

If Broich, Hernandez, Fred's teams were losing would their attendences increase? I doubt it.

Genuine marquees regardless of results improve crowds - Yorke, Fowler, Heskey, Del Piero, Kewell. The last 4, their teams were mediocre to last, but big crowds none the less.

Did Fowler really bring in consistently big crowds at NQF?

Same deal with Heskey now at Newy?

Even Kewell. The big crowds lasted about 4 weeks from memory and then fell back to normal.

Victory's crowds last season were down to about 12-14k towards the end, which for them is very low. The crowds died off as the season went on because the results were crap and the novelty of Kewell wore off. This season they're getting mostly 20k again cause they're doing well.

Doubt Sydney's crowds would be what they are now if they continued on their decline instead of picking up in recent weeks.

Not saying I don't want a marquee, but I definitely think results > players for crowds and publicity. A marquee that improves results is obviously the best solution!

• Like 2

IMO it's a mistake to assume that there are 4m people out there in metropolitan Melbourne just waiting for the right 'name' to come flocking to AAMI Park to watch Heart. That's not the way it works. The vast majority of people wouldn't know any of the 'names' that get bandied around by football fans, and it's the same with every other field of human endeavour.

What a 'name' does is get the media excited, and that in turn gets a few people who are on the fringes of being football fans excited, and leads in turn to some of those actually going along to watch a few games and possibly take out a membership. A 'name' also gets potential sponsors and advertisers etc. excited and leads to a greater flow of money into the club concerned.

The magic formula is a 'name' (or 'names') plus a winning team; then it's possible to get a sustained increase in the support for the club.

• Like 1