Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

Did FC Utrecht loan Zullo to Adelaide with them footing his wage, effectively meaning he was a free player under the cap?

Not sure on that deal's specifics, but as far as I know loans have always been a bit of a loophole in that the club loaning the player doesn't always pay all of his salary (and sometimes none).

However, it's also understandable if more restrictive measures were put in place for a related party loan like one between NYC and us or MC and us.

Also worth mentioning, guest players don't count towards the salary cap.

Bursaspor paid Behich's wages last season

Did FC Utrecht loan Zullo to Adelaide with them footing his wage, effectively meaning he was a free player under the cap?

Not sure on that deal's specifics, but as far as I know loans have always been a bit of a loophole in that the club loaning the player doesn't always pay all of his salary (and sometimes none).

However, it's also understandable if more restrictive measures were put in place for a related party loan like one between NYC and us or MC and us.

Also worth mentioning, guest players don't count towards the salary cap.

Bursaspor paid Behich's wages last season

So MHFC's books had an entry like this?

BEHICH, Aziz    (on loan)    Value = $-

Given that the NYCFC players will have their contract with MLS itself I don´t think we can expect something to complicated in regards to a chain of transfers, but a guest player scenario is very possible.

Nota Bene.. Nothing is still confirmed and there is the fact that NYCFC will sign three marquee players, the article mentions that there will be serious negotiations after Brazil with Xavi.

But lets not forget that Heart will also have their players coming in soon. Rumours will fly.. <_<

Mauro zarate has signed a 3 year deal for west ham. :( was probably always out of range. Fantastic signing from west ham will be a very keen observer.

Good stuff, not really a supporter but more of an admirer of West Ham and I reckon they're long overdue for a big season.

Zarate is class.

Mauro zarate has signed a 3 year deal for west ham. :( was probably always out of range. Fantastic signing from west ham will be a very keen observer.

Good stuff, not really a supporter but more of an admirer of West Ham and I reckon they're long overdue for a big season.

Zarate is class.

Better hope he has improved a fair bit since he played at Inter... Was hopeless there.

Not a fan of guest players.  You can't really win, if they're good they leave when you need to keep winning if they're bad, they're bad.

Anybody remember the ill fated guest stint by Romaria for Adelaide United ???  This guest player stuff just makes the A-league look like a friggin circus :hkpalm:

I'm a fan of Bresc, but I don't think he's the ideal Australian marquee, considering his age now (34), that he hasn't played regular football for a number of months due to FIFA suspending him from playing because of his move to his current club Al-Gharafa, and the fact that there's a pretty good list of international players who could be a marquee midfielder for us (for example Joe Cole, Kim Kallstrom, maybe Frank Lampard), whilst there's more Australians who could be a good marquee striker for us.

Also Bresciano sounds like he wants to be loyal to his club for sticking by him through his playing suspension (I still think his move to his current Middle Eastern club and signing for 3 years was a really stupid move in the first place, though).

It's good though that this new article proves that the Davutovic report that Heart targeted both Breciano and Kennedy is at least half right. So hopefully now the club can focus on signing Kennedy, and Heart can have a proper, proven striker for once.

• Like 1

Not a fan of guest players.  You can't really win, if they're good they leave when you need to keep winning if they're bad, they're bad.

Anybody remember the ill fated guest stint by Romaria for Adelaide United ???  This guest player stuff just makes the A-league look like a friggin circus :hkpalm:

The guest player can be a good thing, if it's a loan player from the MLS or another league in their off-season. Getting a 40y.o looking for some easy cash isn't good for anyone.

I'm a fan of Bresc, but I don't think he's the ideal Australian marquee, considering his age now (34), that he hasn't played regular football for a number of months due to FIFA suspending him from playing because of his move to his current club Al-Gharafa, and the fact that there's a pretty good list of international players who could be a marquee midfielder for us (for example Joe Cole, Kim Kallstrom, maybe Frank Lampard), whilst there's more Australians who could be a good marquee striker for us.

Also Bresciano sounds like he wants to be loyal to his club for sticking by him through his playing suspension (I still think his move to his current Middle Eastern club and signing for 3 years was a really stupid move in the first place, though).

It's good though that this new article proves that the Davutovic report that Heart targeted both Breciano and Kennedy is at least half right. So hopefully now the club can focus on signing Kennedy, and Heart can have a proper, proven striker for once.

Hey Hey. Mifsud scored twice against Manchester United. 

Is it just me or are the rumours coming from all over the place right now?... Perhaps a sign that things have started to happen

Yes, I think the club knows exactly what it's doing with information, including rumours, which are probably leaked at specific times (unfortunately the club's communication strategy has been to be stingy with information for long stretches, though).

One thing I've noticed is that the club seems to be mainly making announcements on Wednesdays, as seen on April 30th (announcement about 5 players leaving), May 21st (Mooy's signing announced) and May the 28th (yesterday's announcement confirming the new coaching staff).

And rumours, which the club seems to limit a lot (unlike in previous seasons where there was lots of Heart rumours, with the club seemingly actively fanning them), seem to be coordinated as well to me, although that's hard more of a judgement than a clear trend that can be identified.

Still, who knows with this club. Everyone's in the dark all the time, and often when it seems like things are about to happen, there's a long stretch of silence. Although this time feels different to me, and I'd be surprised if the club didn't sort out its business before the World Cup, when the tiny media space for football in Australia will pretty much be congested all the time.  

Edited by Murfy1

Bresciano is just looking to start a bidding war. " Hey A-League, Heart wants, better get make`me an offer before I sign.."

I personally don't want him..and its not just because it was his half-arsed effort that led to Neill's foul that led to us not beating Italy that lead to us not beating Ukraine and not playing in the semi's of the World Cup.

• Like 1

check spelt with a k.

Sepo spelling - a pet hate of mine.

When I was in Italy, they always referred to him as Mark - with a k.

It seemed strange to me that in Australia they called him Marco and in Italy they called him Mark.

check spelt with a k.

It seemed strange to me that in Australia they called him Marco and in Italy they called him Mark.

he once said his name is Marc, an that Marco was his grandad.

check spelt with a k.

he once said his name is Marc, an that Marco was his grandad.

From Wikipedia, which quoted an old FoxSports article:

Bresciano's correct first name is Mark and not, as is often reported, "Marco" though he is commonly referred to as Marco in Australia. Interviewed for the TV documentary The Away Game, he said "In Australia, it's Marco. In Italy, it's Mark. Work that one out. My birth certificate says Mark. But I'm named after my grandfather Marco. I like Marco but not Mark-O. I prefer Mark".

I'm NOT interested in guest players. The only players I want in our team are players who have signed for us, not a hyped up "guest." Guest players are disruptive to team unity and cohesion.

Technically Adrian Madaschi was an injury-replacement for 10 matches, but he was exactly the same as a guest player. I hope you aren't one of those that continues to rave on about Madaschi to this day.

A guest player is just a player on a short-term contract. I can't see your objection to that.

Personally I don't want either Kennedy or Bresciano. Kennedy can hardly move these days, and Bresciano has no interest in the club really. A marquee has to be someone who delivers on and off the pitch and helps build the club for the long-term.

We should aim for an Australian Marquee who is NOT nearing the end of his career. We have the money.

Players that come to mind are Robbie Kruse and Tommy Oar.

You are dreaming if you think either of those will come back to aus, money will be irrelevant
  • Like 3

Who do you want as Australian marquee then?

I'd rather have none at all than a has-been who's going to give little to Heart.

The "marquee" is not a compulsory position on the list. You have one only if you exceed the salary cap, and it's a way of exceeding the cap by $1 or as much as you want. If you do want to exceed the salary cap then you can nominate who you want to be the so-called "marquee."

I'd rather be going for a young(er) Australian currently based overseas who is a good player. Amini? Rykavitska? Then make Mooy the marquee.

There are plenty of ways of skinning the cat.