Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

Manchester City’s owners are moving for Chelsea veteran midfielder Frank Lampard.

The Daily Star says Sheihk Mansour has sanctioned a move for Lampard.

But the deal is with Melbourne Heart, not Manchester City.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/man-city-chase-chelsea-veteran-lampard-melbourne-heart-4019620#.U4P7yJ1--Uk

If we are prepared to offer 60,000 GBP after tax as is reported here then our options are almost unlimited, and it's just a matter of persuading someone to move to Melbourne.

Del Piero cost Sydney 3m a year. CFG will be looking to make a similar impact with the marquee as Del Piero had, they will want a player that will attract people to the games just to see them, a well known 'mainstream' marquee is more likely than one only known by true football followers. 

Good list of released players. I've been looking for one of these.

Matthew Fletcher, 21, striker, was released by Hull and is Australian. He previously played for Sunderland (also in their academy). He could be a good player who would go under the salary cap.

Giancarlo Gallifuoco, 20, (defensive/holding) midfielder, was released by Tottenham and is another Aussie. Over the past few years some good Australian players have come through Tottenham, like Massimo Luongo (who, of course, Postecoglou has fast-tracked into the Socceroos World Cup squad) and Bradden Inman (who plays pretty regularly, and is highly regarded at his current English club).

My point being by noting these players is that some pretty good Australian players seem to come through these English clubs and their academies, and A-League clubs seem to be very ignorant of these Australian players, especially if they largely feature in academy/reserve teams. I'm hoping that Melbourne Heart now has an inside track on players like Fletcher and Gallifuoco, and hopefully Heart can sign some good players if these EPL clubs decide not to back these young Australians and release them.

Also, with how long van't Schip and Didulica and co. have spent in Europe, I can't help but reason that some players are being looked at and might be signed. It'll be interesting to see what these guys come up with, given the resources they now have.

I reckon I'll be one of the only fans that has this opinion, but I'm not sold on Lampard as our marquee.

He will be 36 by the time the season starts. He no doubt has production left in him, especially at A-League level, but how long will he sustain that? One season, maybe two? 

He will no doubt drag people through the gates, but for how long?

If given the choice, who do you think has been more valuable for their respective clubs, Del Piero or Broich? I know who I'd take.

I would accept Lampard as a marquee, obviously, but I for one would rather someone who could offer several years of quality service. 

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

I reckon I'll be one of the only fans that has this opinion, but I'm not sold on Lampard as our marquee.

He will be 36 by the time the season starts. He no doubt has production left in him, especially at A-League level, but how long will he sustain that? One season, maybe two? 

If given the choice, who do you think has been more valuable for their respective clubs, Del Piero or Broich? I know who I'd take.

I would accept Lampard as a marquee, obviously, but I for one would rather someone who could offer several years of quality service. 

Just my 2 cents.

Good call

Just my 2 cents.

I think more than you think would preferred a Broich type marquee and even everything that the CFG has said has alluded to something like that. But I think a Broich type would be incredibly hard to find and I think Brisbane were very lucky. Plus they had a great team, if Broich ended up in Wellington or something like that it could have been very different. I think Del Piero would have had probably 2x the impact if he didnt find himself at a basket case.

In terms of Lampard I would be worried about his attitude, I have no idea if he has an ego or he is humble but he is coming from a huge pedestal right down to almost the bottom rung

Edited by Dylan

Just my 2 cents.

I think more than you think would preferred a Broich type marquee and even everything that the CFG has said has alluded to something like that. But I think a Broich type would be incredibly hard to find and I think Brisbane were very lucky. Plus they had a great team, if Broich ended up in Wellington or something like that it could have been very different. I think Del Piero would have had probably 2x the impact if he didnt find himself at a basket case.

In terms of Lampard I would be worried about his attitude, I have no idea if he has an ego or he is humble but he is coming from a huge pedestal right down to almost the bottom rung

I don't think a Broich type is too hard to find. In fact, here's one for you now: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Hunt

(Yes, I am aware he is a significantly larger name than Broich, and will be harder to sign)

It have been fairly obvious from the start that Txiki wants a marquee player that apart from doing his stuff on the pitch is willing and able to more or less act as an assistant coach within the team, a player that likes to motivate and teach others.

Perhaps even someone that have expressed a wish to become a coach full time after his playing career is finished.

• Like 1

And there's no reason why Txiki should have changed his position on this issue. In fact, I'd be disappointed if he has. We need someone 26-28 who's football on the pitch will do the talking on the pitch. Most of the "names" trotted out on this website are not household names, and IMO would do little as a "name" to increase attendances. It's the football and the results that will do that.

Just my 2 cents.

I think the "hard core" football fans agree with Txihi that we need a "big player" not a "big name".

In regards to Lampard the main thing I know about him is his reputation for hard work off the pitch.  That attitude would make him a wonderful marquee, but  marn's  comment about the time he might have left on the clock is quite right.

I'm of the opinion that Heart could sign Lampard, and he could give the club at least 2, if not 3 or even 4, awesome seasons, and really put the club on the map (in a way that a 'Broich' marquee never could. Hence why next to no one knows of Brisbane Roar outside of Australia [whilst ppl know of Sydney FC because of ADP]). And then the club could thereafter sign 'lower profile' Broich-type players.

I think there's something to be said though for signing a big name, to put the club on the map and to signal a new era. The A-League and A-League clubs still have a lot of stature growing to do.

And in the case of Lampard, I think he's pretty much a perfect marquee, like ADP (and Lampard would start playing for the club 2 years younger than ADP at Sydney). Lampard would provide genuine class football, even at his age (which is why he's playing for England at the World Cup). By all reports he is very fit, he is pretty well known as having leadership qualities, and he seems to genuinely want to keep playing football for a good while longer.

In the future, in general I'd also prefer Broich marquees. But for this club's very first marquee in the new era, I think there's a good argument for signing a big player who's also got a big name. And if the club is able to sign Lampard, I think that is an offer far too good to pass up.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

I think we will be getting a big name as marque. City are all about image and I think they want to make a big splash from the start. Wanting to bring people along to the game. While a lesser known but potentially better player might be better long term, I can't see City wanting to wait to slowly build up support

I reckon there's far too much emphasis on the marquee whereas we must make sure the team has a good balance of players across the pitch. Our website shows our current forwards as Mate and Willo. Well that's not a forward line I have confidence in. Not a natural striker in sight yet. Our defenders are Paddy and Robbie. Heck, they need help FFS. Add Tando and Redders between the uprights :(

A marquee has to be just a part of the the bigger picture. ADP at SydneyFC was a waste in terms of silverware but he did put bums on seats where ever he went. Overall SFC didn't maximise the potential of ADP because they had a crap coach who couldn't put it together consistently. Let's hope our new overlords are paying a lot of attention to the small details that differentiate an OK team from a silverware winning team. Having said that, I expect CFG to announce a well known marquee as part of the transformation of the club from one that thrived and revelled in mediocrity to one that has high expectations - Asian champions at the least.

• Like 2

Here's an English write-up of this news:

David Villa to sign three-year deal with New York City FC

Tom Conn

May 9, 2014

Atletico Madrid striker, David Villa is reportedly close to signing a three-year contract with MLS’ new Manchester City-owner club, New York City FC.

According to Spanish radio station, Cadena COPE’s ‘El Partido de las 12′, Villa’s current contract with the La Liga champions will expire on 30th June and while the Spanish international has an option to renew for another year, he will forgo that option and make a move to the United States.

Villa joined Atletico Marid from Barcelona last summer, but was originally brought to Barcelona from Valencia by current Manchester City directors Txiki Bergeristain and Fernan Soriano, who have convinced Spain’s all-time leading scorer to become the face of their new franchise in their inagural season.

We will report more details as they become available.

http://www.insidespanishfootball.com/110377/david-villa-to-sign-three-year-deal-with-new-york-city-fc/

I thought he'd make a great marquee. Hopefully Villa doesn't have an A-League off-season, where he plays no football for about 7 months (with the World Cup ending in July, and the next MLS season starting in March 2015), and instead plays for Heart for 10 games. He'd definitely fix the problem spot of left winger for us (and might even outscore our striker, whoever we get).

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Here's an English write-up of this news:

David Villa to sign three-year deal with New York City FC

Tom Conn

May 9, 2014

Atletico Madrid striker, David Villa is reportedly close to signing a three-year contract with MLS’ new Manchester City-owner club, New York City FC.

According to Spanish radio station, Cadena COPE’s ‘El Partido de las 12′, Villa’s current contract with the La Liga champions will expire on 30th June and while the Spanish international has an option to renew for another year, he will forgo that option and make a move to the United States.

Villa joined Atletico Marid from Barcelona last summer, but was originally brought to Barcelona from Valencia by current Manchester City directors Txiki Bergeristain and Fernan Soriano, who have convinced Spain’s all-time leading scorer to become the face of their new franchise in their inagural season.

We will report more details as they become available.

http://www.insidespanishfootball.com/110377/david-villa-to-sign-three-year-deal-with-new-york-city-fc/

I thought he'd make a great marquee. Hopefully Villa doesn't have an A-League off-season, where he plays no football for about 7 months (with the World Cup ending in July, and the next MLS season starting in March 2015), and instead plays for Heart for 10 games. He'd definitely fix the problem spot of left winger for us (and might even outscore our striker, whoever we get).

Don't limit him for 10 matches. I'd take him on a full season-contract knowing he'd go to NYC in March. By then we'd near be Premiers anyway.

Did FC Utrecht loan Zullo to Adelaide with them footing his wage, effectively meaning he was a free player under the cap?

Not sure on that deal's specifics, but as far as I know loans have always been a bit of a loophole in that the club loaning the player doesn't always pay all of his salary (and sometimes none).

However, it's also understandable if more restrictive measures were put in place for a related party loan like one between NYC and us or MC and us.

Also worth mentioning, guest players don't count towards the salary cap.

Edited by Tesla

Why don't we have BOTH Xavi and Villa on ten game guest stint= 30 points

I think A-League rules say you can only have one guest per season?

If he was on loan to us from NYCFC, what is the salary cap status?

Did FC Utrecht loan Zullo to Adelaide with them footing his wage, effectively meaning he was a free player under the cap?

I'm pretty sure guest players simply don't count towards the salary cap. That's why they can only stay for ten games, and why you're only allowed one per season.

• Like 1