Melbourne Football

Luca$h Neill

Red or Dead

Pretty good signing actually. So weird to be bolstering the squad at this stage, a league transfers are a bloody merry go round. You los players just as quiickly. You gain them, feels kinda gay if im honest, where is the stability? But anyways, This signing perhaps allows gerhardt to play in preferred position? Whether that still is centre back i dont know, but we could be thought of as a shot at the title this season if we get this right.

Colosimo improved his form largely in the last couple games, wtf was wrong with him at the start, he wasnt sunday league material.

Edited by United

Ive never liked Lucas Neill but i'm inclined to trust mgmt decisions.I wonder if the people suggesting he's a poor signing also thought Madaschi wouldn't work out (I'm sure there's a few of you).

Whilst a youth policy is great, it's more of a bone for other clubs to pick at. We'll always have great youngsters as well as bringing in quality older heads

And let me just say if he was European we'd be all over him like a fat kid with cake.

Cut-price Lucas Neill heads for A-League

BY:RAY GATT

The Australian February 15, 2013 12:00AM

LUCAS Neill has earned millions of dollars during his successful 11-year professional career, but the Socceroos captain could be among the lowest-paid players in the A-League if he decides to join Melbourne Heart.

The Australian understands Neill will take a sizeable pay cut and would be on junior-style money of about $50,000 - considerably less than the £35,000 a week he reportedly earned playing with Blackburn Rovers in the English Premier League between 2001 and 2007.

It is also far less than the $800,000 he was paid by his most recent club, United Arab Emirates outfit Al Wasl, and puts to rest unfair criticism that he is motivated purely by lining his own pockets rather than giving something back to the sport.

It emerged yesterday that the Heart was the frontrunner to sign the experienced defender for the final seven games of the season and that a deal could be signed as early as today when officials from the Victorian club meet Neill's management.

However, Sydney FC could throw a spanner in the works after coach Frank Farina would not rule out making a late bid for him.

Neill has been clubless since being released by Al Wasl last month.

Heart chief executive Scott Munn would not be drawn on the situation when contacted by The Australian.

"Lucas is a great player and terrific person and I am sure most A-League clubs would love to have a player of his stature," Munn said. "He would bring a lot, not just on the field but off it as well.

"We would love the opportunity to have him but that's all it is ... there has been no agreement, no contract in place."

Heart coach and a former Socceroo teammate of Neill, John Aloisi, confirmed he had spoken to his friend recently.

"I had a chat to Lucas a couple of days ago to see where he was at football-wise, what he wanted out of the rest of the season - and he wants to play football," Aloisi said. "He wants to show he still has a good level of playing, which I believe he has.

"He's still the national team captain and he wants to win games.

"That's great for us because we want to make finals and if we make finals we've got every chance of going on to challenge and win something."

Farina, armed with a two-year contract after officially being handed the Sky Blues job yesterday, refused to rule out the possibility that the club would make a play for Neill.

"If he plays in the A-League it would be fantastic and no club, including us, would rule out having the Socceroos captain," Farina said.

"I wouldn't rule it (getting Neill) out but we have had no discussions as yet."

Playing in the national competition would be a huge turnaround in Neill's thinking.

Disillusioned and disheartened, the furthest thing from his mind was to play in the A-League four or five years ago.

Neill, playing with English club West Ham at the time, was upset after a consortium he backed was overlooked by Football Federation Australia for a licence to run a team based out of Sydney's western suburbs in the national competition.

But, it appears time heals all wounds, while the need to be playing regularly is also an important factor for Neill.

He has been forced to move quickly on his immediate playing future in a bid to ensure he does not jeopardise his position with the Socceroos. Neill is determined to be part of the national team for the World Cup finals in Brazil next year and contest his third straight finals after playing in Germany (2006) and South Africa (2010).

It is believed Socceroos boss Holger Osieck told the 34-year-old, who played in last week's 3-2 loss to Romania in a friendly in Spain, that he needed to be playing consistently or his international career would be at risk.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/cut-price-lucas-neill-heads-for-a-league/story-fn63e0vj-1226578249251

Luca$ will be signed for his football ability and what he can bring to the team, education, experience and organisational ability that will be invaluable for Mitchinson and Walker and Vrankovic. They are really our future, and if he can help them develop as well as organise our backline then he'll leave both an immediate and future legacy for the club. Hopefully he'll be interested in an 18 month deal and settle for less than Messi like wages.

• Like 1

Wow. Looking at some tweets it appears Neill appeals to some of the ladies too! Bit of eye candy for them. WIN!

He also appeals to boys and girls in there late teens,who`ve followed the national team since the 2006 world cup.

Mums and dads will flock with there kids in tow just to see the Australian captain live.

Lucus Neill was captain at West Ham so that`s how highly they thought of him.

• Like 1

Now to bring back Bresciano next season (probably at Fred's expense) and we'll have an amazing team with at least four Socceroos! EDIT: On second thought four Socceroos is probably not that good considering we'll be down our four best players every time they get called up for National Duty :-/

Starting Line up

1. Redders

2. Neill

3. Gerhardt

4. Walker

5. Meeuwis(?)

6. Kalmar

7. Garcia ©

8. Bresciano

9. Williams

10. Dugandzic

11. Babalj

Bench extended to five next season.

13. Germano

14. Vrankovic

15. Gogo "Gadget" Mebrahtu

16. Coyne/Mitchinson

21. Bolton (?)

On the outer:

Thompson

Colosimo

D-Mac

Edited by Red or Dead

Now to bring back Bresciano next season (probably at Fred's expense) and we'll have an amazing team with at least four Socceroos! EDIT: On second thought four Socceroos is probably not that good considering we'll be down our four best players every time they get called up for National Duty :-/

Starting Line up

1. Redders

2. Neill

3. Gerhardt

4. Walker

5. Meeuwis(?)

6. Kalmar

7. Garcia ©

8. Bresciano

9. Williams

10. Dugandzic

11. Babalj

13. Germano

14. Vrankovic

16. Coyne/Mitchinson

21. Bolton (?)

On the outer:

Thompson

Colosimo

D-Mac

It’s way too early to be talking at this much length about next season’s squad, esp when we are still in the hunt this season.

Edited by cadete

Starting Line up

1. Redders

2. Neill

3. Gerhardt

4. Walker

5. Meeuwis(?)

6. Kalmar

7. Garcia ©

8. Bresciano

9. Williams

10. Dugandzic

11. Babalj

13. Germano

14. Vrankovic

16. Coyne/Mitchinson

21. Bolton (?)

On the outer:

Thompson

Colosimo

D-Mac

Josip?

Ive never liked Lucas Neill but i'm inclined to trust mgmt decisions.I wonder if the people suggesting he's a poor signing also thought Madaschi wouldn't work out (I'm sure there's a few of you).

Whilst a youth policy is great, it's more of a bone for other clubs to pick at. We'll always have great youngsters as well as bringing in quality older heads

And let me just say if he was European we'd be all over him like a fat kid with cake.

Have to put my hand up and say that I was one who thought Madaschi wouldn't cut it, thinking he was too slow. But his stint with us was the best run of results we've ever had in our short history.

If we can pull off the signing of Lucas Neill I reckon it would be great. I'm not that fussed that it might only be to the end of this season. As Sash has said, once players join the Heart they seem to like the set-up, so having the like of Meeuwis and Neill with us for a few months puts us in the box seat to retain them if that's what both parties want.

I wouldnt care if the club chucked the kitchen sink at Neill, his qualities would be invaluable on and off the pitch for the development for our younger players such as walker and Vrankovic. He would also be a quality player to and would surely settle down our defense and would be a key contributor to becoming a more consistent team

He threatened a NT strike to get a Socceroos pay increase a few years ago. There's a reason why he's known as Luca$h.

But he may just be desperate enough, ala Grella.

I have 100% faith in our recruiting, our squad this year is as good as any. I would like us to stick to youth, NT players and foreigners, and get rid of the journeymen like Macallister, Thompson etc...

Vrankovic out for 3. Patty suspended next week. Anyone still think we don't need this guy?

You sure about Vranks? You could read that tweet about Colosimo/Vrankovic two ways. I think it meant Colosimo back after three weeks out with injury.

Shows the stupidity of trying to 'communicate' using Twitter.

Vrankovic out for 3. Patty suspended next week. Anyone still think we don't need this guy?

You sure about Vranks? You could read that tweet about Colosimo/Vrankovic two ways. I think it meant Colosimo back after three weeks out

Shows the stupidity of trying to 'communicate' using Twitter.

Okay I hope im wrong.

Yeah. The tweet actually read '...while Colosimo replaces Vrankovic in CB after calf injury (3 weeks)'

Breaking news: Lucas Neill set to sign for Sydney FC

Source?

Football Zero

LUCAS NEILL Set to sign for SYDNEY FC A reliable source has informed the admins here at Football Zero that Aussie captain Lucas Neill will be signing for Sydney FC shortly. Melbourne Heart were front runners to secure his signature but Sydney FC have scuppered the deal by matching the Heart's offer!

Lucas Neill was Star City until late

Source connection to Neill's management