Melbourne Football

Luca$h Neill

Red or Dead

Would still play Vrankovic over him.

How much are we paying this spud?

are you taking the piss?

Absolutely not. I reckon this signing will disrupt the back line and throw Vrankovic/Colosimo out of the team when I believe neither deserves it. Would be pretty shitty with the club if he walked into the XI on reputation alone.

Thats how it works for him in the socceroos isnt it? Lol

• Like 1

Don't like him and don't rate him but ffs he is coming to play in a league and the football of football played here is poor. He will be great for us and I have no doubt about that but his time in Europe or in any half decent league has well and truely passed.

He is a great signing for the Melbourne Heart. Now bring on the finals and hopefully we play Victory first game and knock them out.

�� are you taking the piss?

Absolutely not. I reckon this signing will disrupt the back line and throw Vrankovic/Colosimo out of the team when I believe neither deserves it. Would be pretty shitty with the club if he walked into the XI on reputation alone.

Lets not forget despite his very bright future, Vranks has struggled to get into the side all season even when Colosimo was going through a lengthy patch of bad form JA still preferred him at CB.

Edited by cadete

Lets not forget despite his very bright future, Vranks has struggled to get into the side all season even when Colosimo was going through a lengthy patch of bad form JA still preferred him at CB.

Exactly

Exactly

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/a-league/melbourne-heart-looms-large-for-neill-20130214-2eei0.html

Some highlights include -

However, it appears only the Heart have been serious enough to carry through with negotiations and could strike a deal as soon as this weekend.

Heart football operations manager John Didulica confirmed that the club was looking to bring Neill to the A-League and that coach John Aloisi would further elaborate on the plan in a press conference at 2pm today.

"In short, we are interested, yes," Didulica said. "Has a deal been done? No."

It's thought that Football Federation Australia would be willing to help fund any club who brings Neill back to Australia, given the player's iconic stature in Australia after playing in two World Cups and making 89 appearances for the national team.

He reportedly earned $800,000 after tax for his most recent year in the UAE, far exceeding what any A-League club would be prepared to pay.

However, Neill's asking price is thought to be significantly lower than what he wanted when courted by A-League clubs in the past two years, with several industry sources claiming his management asked for marquee wages in excess of $1 million per season – similar money earned by fellow returning stars Brett Emerton and Harry Kewell.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how much impact he'll have on the pitch this year. But next year, Colosimo will probably be gone and I think Neill partnering Vrankovic could be really good. Off the pich, it should be a huge positive for the club. So I hope we can work out a contract for next season.

From the same article that Biancorosso7 quoted:

It's thought that Football Federation Australia would be willing to help fund any club who brings Neill back to Australia, given the player's iconic stature in Australia after playing in two World Cups and making 89 appearances for the national team.

Read more: http://www.theage.co...l#ixzz2Kpr5UAjb

Surely this means this is Colosimo's last season with us? Niel and Gerhardt could be a killer defensive partnership with young Vrankovic as back-up. We finally have one of the strongest spines in the league. Great to see the club finally being pro-active in terms of signings

Colosimo last few games for the club have been solid, why would we not give him a new one year contract?

Centre Halves dont grow on trees and as the Gray Dilemma has shown you need more than two good one's on a A League list so there is no reason why we cant have Neil, Colosimo and Vranks in our squad.

Edited by cadete

Surely this means this is Colosimo's last season with us? Niel and Gerhardt could be a killer defensive partnership with young Vrankovic as back-up. We finally have one of the strongest spines in the league. Great to see the club finally being pro-active in terms of signings

Colosimo last few games for the club have been solid, why would we not give him a new one year contract?

Centre Halves dont grow on trees and as the Gray Dilemma has shown you need more than two good one's on a A League list so there is no reason why we cant have Neil, Colosimo and Vranks in our squad.

with Gerhardt playing Midfield? or gone?

with Gerhardt playing Midfield? or gone?

I am pretty sure Paddy signed a 2 year contract,

Regardless his versatility as a DM/CB IMO means that we would have to sign a number of good players before thinking of moving him one.

From FourFourTwo

Aloisi wants Lucas Neill at Heart - News - FourFourTwo Mobile Edition

MELBOURNE Heart is set to bring home another of the Socceroos golden generation with coach John Aloisi confirming he wants national skipper Lucas Neill in the squad.

Former Socceroo teammate Aloisi spoke with the club-less Neill in the last couple of days to test the waters and see what the Aussie skipper wanted from the rest of the season.

But he said it was now in the hands of the club and the player’s management to put together a deal that would bring the much travelled 34-year-old defender back to Australia.

Aloisi said Neill would be an ideal mentor for the younger players and prove decisive addition in the side’s push for a finals berth, with just seven rounds remaining in the regular season.

News of Neill’s imminent return comes just two weeks after another Green and Gold stalwart Vince Grella hung up his boots after trying to revive his career with the Melbourne outfit.

“I don’t sign the players,” Aloisi said. “I get asked if I would like a player and I was asked a couple of days ago if I’d like Lucas Neill.

“Someone like him would be great for our side – captain of Australia, a leader on the park, great to have for the younger boys.

“That was one of the main reasons we spoke about Lucas because he would be able to help the young boys develop as players.

“We’ve got quite a few in David Vrankovic, Jeremy Walker and Sam Mitchinson at the back and we saw how good Adrian Madaschi was for us last year in that little stint he had.

“Now it’s up to the club and up to Lucas to see if he wants to come to us.

"Whether it’s close or not I’m not sure - that’s for John Didulica (football operations manager) and Lucas with his agent will be able to discuss.

"But he hasn’t signed yet for us."

Neill, who has made no secret of his desire to lead Australia to next year’s World Cup was released from his United Arab Emirates club Al Wasl last month.

Aloisi added: “I had a chat with him a couple of days ago to see where he was at football-wise and what he wanted out of the rest of this season.

“And he wants to play football – he wants to show that he’s still got a good level of playing – which I believe he has and he’s still the national team captain and he wants to win games and I think it’s great for us because we want to make finals.

“And if you make finals you’ve got every chance of doing well in it and going on and challenging to win something – so that also another reason why I would like to have him.”

Aloisi said Neill had kept his finger on the pulse of the local game and liked what he saw.

“After speaking to him he’s watched quite a few games in the A-League and can see what we’re trying to do as a team - he likes the way we’re trying to play football,” the coach said.

“As former teammates he knows what I’m going to be like as a person but he doesn’t know what I’m like as a coach.

“All I can say is what I expect from my players and what I’m expecting as a team and the way we want to play and he liked that but now we have to see if he ends up putting pen to paper.

“I’ve said that I would like to have him and it’s up to them to sort them out.”

I am pretty sure Paddy signed a 2 year contract,

Regardless his versatility as a DM/CB IMO means that we would have to sign a number of good players before thinking of moving him one.

Gerhardt signed a two-year contract.

IMO one of our best ever signings. There is absolutely no reason why the club would not want him to continue to play with us.

• Like 3

Would only take Colostomy for another year on 1/2 the wages and him knowing that he will have to fight for a CB spot with Vranks and Neill.

• Like 2

Here's the latest:

Heart beating for Socceroo

February 15, 2013

Michael Lynch

MELBOURNE Heart is confident it will capture the signature of Socceroos skipper Lucas Neill after it talks to the veteran defender and his agent in Sydney on Friday.

Heart chief executive Scott Munn and the club's football operations manager John Didulica are planning to discuss a deal that will put the centre-back in red and white stripes for the last seven games of the season - and the finals if Heart manages to qualify.

The pair will meet with Neill's team en route to Heart's A-League clash with Newcastle Jets in the Hunter Valley on Friday believing their chances of success are much greater now that Brisbane Roar is out of the Asian Champions League.

Neill, who remains national captain despite the fact that he does not have a club since his release by UAE club Al Wasl, is anxious to play as much as he can and at the highest level he can ahead of Australia's World Cup qualifiers in June.

Had Brisbane - which was also chasing Neill's signature - won through to the group phase of the ACL the Queenslanders could have offered him the opportunity to stay in training and play against high-class opposition beyond the A-League season's end in April.

Its elimination (it lost 3-0 on penalties to Thai club Buriram United on Wednesday night) gives Heart the inside running on Neill. John Aloisi, Heart's coach, and his assistant, Hayden Foxe, both played in the national team with Neill earlier in their careers, and Aloisi said on Thursday that he was interested in his former teammate.

''Someone like him would be great for our side - captain of Australia, a leader on the park, great to have for the younger boys,'' Aloisi said.

''That was one of the main reasons we spoke about Lucas … he would be able to help the young boys develop. We've got quite a few in David Vrankovic, Jeremy Walker and Sam Mitchinson at the back … now it's up to the club and up to Lucas to see if he wants to come to us.''

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/heart-beating-for-socceroo-20130214-2efv3.html#ixzz2KrbQmu8S

I think Neill could be a very good signing, especially given the fact that he could be signed for relatively low wages, because he is desperate to play football (hence a lot less leverage when negotiating) and the FFA might chip in. Also, it was reported earlier that:

Neill's asking price is thought to be significantly lower than what he wanted when courted by A-League clubs in the past two years, with several industry sources claiming his management asked for marquee wages in excess of $1 million per season – similar money earned by fellow returning stars Brett Emerton and Harry Kewell.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/melbourne-heart-looms-large-for-neill-20130214-2eei0.html#ixzz2Krc3oatC

I agree with others who have said he'd provide invaluable leadership to our other defenders and that at A-League level he could be a top defender himself.

Also, I reckon our chances of signing Bresciano next season go significantly up if we have Neill.

Sign him up.

Also, I reckon our chances of signing Bresciano next season go significantly up if we have Neill.

I don't know if it's true, but I've heard that Bresciano signed for 3 years with his current club. So I don't know if he'll be available.

But still, we've been very good to former Socceroos - Aloisi, Skoko, Grella, Garcia - and they've been very good for us. As well as what they've done on the pitch, I'm sure there will be many indirect benefits for the club from developing strong relationships with some of our country's best players. I love how these guys have continued their involvement with the club in some way. (Even Grella with his corporate box.) I know Madaschi also enjoyed his time with the club. It's pretty good the way we seem to be developing the club to be the club of choice for both past and future Socceroos.

Edited by Sash