Melbourne Football

Australia vs The old enemy: replay Tuesday night

Shahanga

Based on the enthusiastic response to my post I guess I’m the only one who watched the game. I’d never seen it before.

Struck by just how much we bossed them and in particular in the first half. No wonder Sven subbed the lot, they were terrible. England looked to have a side full of downhill skiers, no surprise they did nothing at the World Cup.

Oh 2 other things:

1. Was a pleasure watching Kewell in his pomp.

2. Bresciano looked weird with hair.

Kewell was one of the best strikers of the ball. Rewatching some of his best goals just now, his ability was world-class.

Our best football talent and nobody has really come close since.

And as for the game, I’d forgotten that Jeffers scored the England goal. So much talent on the field for England and Francis was the only one to score. 

• 2 weeks later...

I remember getting up early to watch this game. As much as it was awesome to beat the poms on their own turf and make them eat a bit of humble pie after them running their mouths, it was just a friendly and the fact it has gone in history as one of the most memorable games says a lot about us 

• Like 1

The problem I have with the “it was only a friendly”, mantra, is it is an attempt to ignore the sporting, social and historical context of Australia vs England.

well of course it was a “friendly”. If it was another sport it would have been called a Test Match, but under FIFA the odds of Australia playing England in anything but a “friendly” are very very slim. If FIFA don’t want to call it a Test Match we can’t make them.

We have an intense rivalry with England in all sports. In all the major sports, bar football we have dominated that rivalry over the passage of time. That is what makes the first victory of us over them hugely significant. It is be expected it’s remembered how it is, with FIFA’s titles for games rightly regarded as insignificant. That shouldn’t disappoint any Australians at all. (Our subsequent history post that era is disappointing, but that’s another matter).

• Like 1