Melbourne Football

A-League News Thread

mus-28

Where on earth do Sydney get the money for this sort of thing?

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/sydney-fc-confirms-busy-italian-schedule/71752

Must've sold off their wheelie bins.

They're certainly giving me the impression that they really mean business this season, along with a couple of other clubs who are really ramping up during the pre-season.

And Gai Waterhouse's horses are always set to dominate the Spring Carnival on their Sydney form each year as well...

Lmao couldn't agree more cadete, all these matches do is give a chance for Sydney to flog there merchandise. People can get shitty about the pre-season games we play but at least we're able to see our team play.

Edited by kingofhearts

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/sydney-fc-confirms-busy-italian-schedule/71752

They're certainly giving me the impression that they really mean business this season, along with a couple of other clubs who are really ramping up during the pre-season.

And Gai Waterhouse's horses are always set to dominate the Spring Carnival on their Sydney form each year as well...

Lmao couldn't agree more cadete, all these matches do is give a chance for Sydney to flog there merchandise. People can get shitty about the pre-season games we play but at least we're able to see our team play.

Perhaps. However, I agree with JW that the Italy tour does give Sydney exposure, an image of professionalism and an expectation that they are in it to win.

Heart supporters however do get to watch our team play in Shepparton, Epping against a Uni XI and Richmond. I'm just not sure Brisbane in Lismore has the same quality when you need to travel, as playing professional quality overseas opposition.

With CCM also heading offshore I wonder if Heart should go overseas for pre-season to play higher quality opposition? Perhaps a good question to put to the "Pre-Season Friendlies" thread.

Perhaps. However, I agree with JW that the Italy tour does give Sydney exposure, an image of professionalism and an expectation that they are in it to win.

Heart supporters however do get to watch our team play in Shepparton, Epping against a Uni XI and Richmond. I'm just not sure Brisbane in Lismore has the same quality when you need to travel, as playing professional quality overseas opposition.

With CCM also heading offshore I wonder if Heart should go overseas for pre-season to play higher quality opposition? Perhaps a good question to put to the "Pre-Season Friendlies" thread.

Paying a stack of money to play Glamourous European Opposition sounds to me like when we paid a stack of money to hire a Glamourous European Coach:

Ultimately a waste of time and valuable resources.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1162099/Young-Roos-policy-comes-under-attack

Not directly A-League news, but relating to the national team as a whole. 

“Take the example of Massimo (aged 20). He’s good enough to play in the Socceroos midfield now alongside Mark Bresciano with his eyes shut, let alone any of the younger age groups.
Magrone cites recently capped Australia striker Tomi Juric as an example, explaining: “I’d been watching him for two years in Croatia; he comes back to Australia and suddenly he’s in the Socceroos squad at the East Asian Cup. “I think if he was still in Croatia they wouldn’t have known he existed. “I have been in England many years now and for the Australia hierarchy to look mainly at local players is wrong.

How can the government justify this? This club had problems paying there players last season, and yet there going to get 10 million dollars of funding?

Even in our lack of success at least we have been able to be sustainable 

I think its focused on indigenous players, interesting place to base it.

It includes a program directed towards indigenous players, but that's just a small part of it if we are brutally honest. I quote:

'Head of the Hyundai A-League, Mr Damien de Bohun was similarly proud of the funding announcement.

'This is a fantastic announcement for the future of Central Coast football and the Mariners. Thousands of kids will benefit from this development and to have the inclusion of an Elite Indigenous Football Academy is another great step for the continued growth of football on the Central Coast,” said De Bohun.

Stage 2 of the Central Coast Mariners Centre of Excellence includes a 1,500-seat grandstand, lighting for training fields, and additional car parking.

The Central Coast Mariners Centre of Excellence already features a tournament quality playing field utilised for first team training and National Youth League matches, coaching and players’ quarters complete with a gym and office space, ten all-weather synthetic pitches utilised by the local community, and parking for in excess of 100 vehicles. Building on a public hydrotherapy and aquatic centre will be completed in 2014.'

Edited by jw1739

He was probably the best Socceroo we had in the last few qualifiers so in that respect I admire him.

However, it was his lack of pace that got us killed in the qualifiers prior to that and he's still a twat for dogging us  :up:

J-League's a much higher standard than any of the Gulf leagues though and the club he's rumoured to be joining is in 4th so good enough.

Across the road from Urawa, Omiya is a good little club to play for, should enjoy his time in North Tokyo. Signing Neill is against the trend slavic though, Omiya loves the slavs. Nontheless Ardija are still in for the championship despite losing 5 in a row and just sacking Verdenik (Who lead them to the top after 15 rounds), and they always win against Urawa anyway, should be a good experience for him. 

Newcastle Jets sign Kew Jaliens

The Hunter Ports Newcastle Jets are pleased to announce the signing of former Dutch international Kew Jaliens for the 2013/14 A-League season.

Jaliens joins the Jets after spending the last three seasons at Polish heavyweights Wisla Krakow.

The central defender won the 2010/11 Ekstraklasa (first league) in his first season at Wisla before featuring heavily in the Club’s 2011/12 UEFA Champions League qualifying campaign, which saw them knocked out by competition surprise packets APOEL.

The 34-year-old has represented the Netherlands on 10 occasions and spent more than a decade plying his trade with Dutch Eredivisie Clubs Sparta Rotterdam, Willem II and AZ Alkmaar.

Jaliens was a member of the Netherlands’ squad for the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

He played 90 minutes in the Oranje’s group match against Argentina at the tournament, keeping a clean sheet against a forward line boasting the likes of Carlos Tevez and Lionel Messi.

Jaliens also represented the Netherlands as an over-age player at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, where he played in all three group matches at the tournament.

At Club level, Jaliens started his career with Sparta Rotterdam, making 79 appearances before signing with Willem II.

While at Willem II, Jaliens participated in the Club’s 1999/00 UEFA Champions League campaign. He went on to make 171 appearances for Willem II before securing a move to AZ Alkmaar in 2004.

During his 231 appearances for AZ Alkmaar, Jaliens played alongside Socceroo Brett Holman and was a member of the AZ Alkmaar team that won the Eredivisie and Dutch Super Cup in 2009.

Jaliens featured prominently in AZ Alkmaar’s 2009/10 UEFA Champions League campaign, which saw him face the likes of Arsenal, Olympiacos and Standard Liege.

Jaliens is expected to arrive in Newcastle and commence pre-season training with the Jets in the coming weeks.

Kew Jaliens

Club career:

1997-1999 Sparta Rotterdam (79 appearances, 5 goals)

1999-2004 Willem II (171 appearances, 6 goals)

2004-2011 AZ Alkmaar (231 appearances, 10 goals)

2011-2013 Wisla Krakow (67 appearances, 1 goal)

International career:

2006-2007 Netherlands (10 appearances)

2008 Netherlands Olympic (3 appearances)

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Newcastle-Jets-sign-Kew-Jaliens/72790

Strong Dutch signings this season in the A-League.

Thank fuck for this finally getting the green light after 8 seasons...

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/football/aleague-benches-get-an-extra-seat-20130815-2rzak.html

A-League benches get an extra seat

A–League coaches will be given greater tactical flexibility in the upcoming A–League season after the Football Federation of Australia confirmed that the substitutes bench will be increased by one player.

Fairfax Media can reveal that the number of players on the bench will go up from four to five in order to relieve the restrictions placed on coaches during match-day, while the number of substitutions allowed will remain at three. Australian-based coaches campaigned for years to have the bench numbers increase to five or seven to fall in line with most other leagues around the world. The FFA adhered to their calls as part of the A-League review.

“Having an additional substitute will give coaches greater tactical options on match days which should translate to an even more exciting and closely fought Hyundai A-league season for fans,” an FFA spokesperson said.

Central Coast Mariners coach Graham Arnold was delighted with the expansion of the bench but called for the FFA to go one step further and allow home teams to name seven possible substitutes and away teams five to keep travel costs at a minimum.

"Fantastic. Finally it gives us more of an opportunity to change tactics during a game with more options," Arnold said. "I think it should be away from home, you should have 16 and at home games you can have 18. Everyone has the same amount of home games so it's not unfair and I understand the costs involved."

Arnold said the increase of the match-day squad will aid the development of talented youngsters who will be given more game-time with more opportunities. Previously coaches were forced to pre-empt their substitutions and take a more cautious approach with their selection process.

"We will have one player extra now so we can have an 'x-factor' in place. You can have a young kid who can't play 90 minutes but can make a difference he comes on." Arnold said.

Meanwhile, Newcastle Jets signed former Dutch international central defender Kew Jaliens on a one-season deal. The 34 year-old spent the past three years in Poland with Wisla Krakow and previously played for Willem II and AZ Alkmaar, where he won the 2008-09 Eredivisie title.

“It is fantastic to have secured a player with Kew's pedigree in what we identified as a key position for us,” Jets coach van Egmond said.

Edited by LR9
  • Like 1

Seems like we could have done worse than Tando Velaphi after all...CCM have just signed Liam Reddy.

Living in Qld, watching Reddy play for the Roar every week, gave me a fair exposure to him. 

His old man (Rod) is a legend in the sunshine state, so I guess we all have "good will" towards Liam, but fair dinkum he's a terribly shot stopper, or perhaps more to the point he is a "shot non-stopper".  I suppose he's good at coming out and collecting crosses but anyone shoots on target, its pretty much a certain goal. 

I could never figure out how he had an A league contract.  This is just on ability -unrelated to any behavioural issues.  Surely even Arnie can't turn this bloke into a decent keeper!

Not fit to tie Tando's boots.

Wow.  That's big news.  Huge signing.  Fitting replacement for Dario in my book and would be their best option either at left back or left wing, but for Australia's sake I hope he is the left back.

I was fortunate enough to be in the stands at Suncorp 6 years ago when Zullo made his debut of the bench versus the pissants.  Very impressive and I've followed his career with keen interest since.  I can only think he's looking for a bit more game time to improve his Brazil prospects. 

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1166737/Thompson-fails-to-land-Phoenix-spot

Wellington Phoenix has decided against offering Matt Thompson a contract to continue his career in the A-League.

Unless there is a late call from another club, it now appears the bid by the A-League's record-holder for appearances to remain in the national competition next season is over.

Thompson, who has 203 A-League games to his credit, said he would focus his sights on trying to pick up a contract with a club in Malaysia.

After being cut by Melbourne Heart at the end of last season, Thompson moved to Brisbane with his wife, Leslie, to stay with her family while they awaited the birth of their second child.

Brisbane Roar allowed the 31-year-old midfielder or defender to train with it, but there was no offer of a contract there.

Then the player's manager, Brad Maloney, got a phone call from new Phoenix coach Ernie Merrick, offering a trial with the club.

Late last month, Thompson played for Phoenix in trial games against Western Sydney Wanderers in Sydney and the Jets in Newcastle before returning to Brisbane to await news from the club.

But when the news came, it wasn't good.

"It didn't work out," Thompson said. "They were pretty happy with how I went and so was I. Ernie said he was going to talk to the club's board, but about a week after I got back to Brisbane my manager got a call from him to say the club had decided to go with a local young player.

"It's pretty disappointing. I was pretty confident of getting something, but that's the way it goes. I appreciate Ernie giving me the chance."

Thompson said it was far from a wasted experience, because he believed that playing in the trial games had convinced him he was still up to A-League standard.

"I played about 25 minutes in the first game and about 40 in the second," he said. "I did what I was asked and I thought I did it well, so I was happy with that."

Thompson said he was training on his own now, while his manager sourced possible opportunities overseas.

"The Malaysian signing window for next season opens in about a month," he said. "We're working on trying to make something happen there. If the right opportunity comes up and it's a good move for myself and my family, we'll take it.

"You never know what might happen in the future with the A-League, but in the meantime I've got to look at other options."

No-one want's Thomo, he's looking at a potential move to Malaysia...

Should test the waters and offer him 75k, better than going in a man down.

We don't need another under-performer.

Ross Archibald is 100 times better than Thompson. Best young midfielder in the country.

Phwoaaaah, that's a pretty bold statement!

I've never seen the kid play but guys like Daniel De Silva would be pretty hard to top in that regard I would have thought. 

If he's that good, sign him uppppppppp!

• 3 weeks later...