Melbourne Football

A-League News Thread

mus-28

1 hour ago, NuggetsMcGreggor said:

With channel 10 going into administration today I wonder what will happen to the FTA broadcast rights. Hoping SBS gets another crack

They're still broadcasting, nothing to see here. (pun intended)

Also fuck 10 they give Wally and his cabal of Cultural-Marxists and Social-Engineers a platform

49 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

They're still broadcasting, nothing to see here. (pun intended)

Also fuck 10 they give Wally and his cabal of Cultural-Marxists and Social-Engineers a platform

Inb4 

Walleed is calling A League 2018.

• Like 2

Just now, Harrison said:

Will Network Ten's financial predicament affect their ability to broadcast the A-league matches? Hopefully not, but this is not a great start to the partnership. I imagine that FFA will be quietly looking for alternatives.

Will prob work in A League's favour when they get bought out on the cheap by some rich guy.

• 2 weeks later...

A-League club owners set to reject FFA funding model

A-League clubs are set to enter the new financial year not knowing the size of their grant for next season after rejecting Football Federation Australia's latest funding offer.

The rift between club chairmen and the FFA deepened on Tuesday when several clubs rejected the governing body's latest proposal, some labelling it "a slap in the face". 

81% of original size (was 620x348) - Click to enlargeFFA CEO David Gallop has rejected the clubs' claim they were being undervalued. FFA CEO David Gallop has rejected the clubs' claim they were being undervalued.  Photo: Getty Images

After all 10 club owners stormed out of a meeting with the FFA in early May in response to the initial offer of $3.25 million, an improved offer of $3.55 million with several conditions failed to appease the clubs, who are demanding a significant improvement in their share of broadcast, merchandising, sponsorship and ticketing revenue after years of incurring significant losses.

Despite signing a record broadcast deal with Fox Sports in December worth $56 million per season, the FFA is yet to reach an agreement with the clubs on their share of the windfall. The clubs are suggesting the A-League is responsible for 85 per cent of the value of the broadcast deal as well as other revenue streams received by the FFA, such as its sponsorship deal with Hyundai.

However, the clubs were frustrated after an improved offer worked out at around 61 per cent of the value of the broadcast deal alone, which – while an improvement on previous grants – is proportionately less as a percentage share of the previous TV rights deal. The previous deal provided the clubs with $2.6 million each, the same figure as the previous salary cap. 

Fairfax Media understands several clubs rejected the FFA's proposed grant on Tuesday. Their initial asking price was $6 million per season, but sources suggest the clubs would accept a lower amount of no less than $4 million in cash.  

One club chairman warned of an impending stand-off akin to the one playing out  in rugby league, which pitted the majority of NRL clubs against Australian Rugby League Commission chairman John Grant, who recently resigned from his post.

Adelaide United chairman Greg Griffin was one who rejected the FFA's proposal on Tuesday. The proposal came with significant conditions on how an additional $300,000 could be spent. It's understood the governing body was willing to grant the clubs extra funding for the purpose of marketing, but only with the agreement of head office on how the clubs intended to use the additional money.

• 4 weeks later...

Ljubo Milicevic Instagram on Ernie Merrick 

Ok so here it is!Hello Bankruptcy!Ha!I can't bullshit myself any longer,I live by the no fucks given mantra,I've never taken a backward step,ever,to anyone..I would rather die standing than live on my knees..I absolutely despise bullies,people in positions of power who pick on the vulnerable and that's why in recent weeks I've told a few stories relating to certain people because they have essentially been shit humans!Well..This guy is second to only one person I've come across in football,as the shittest,nastiest,meanest and weakest fucken humans to be involved in the game!The way he has abused his role over the years,picking on kids,friends,my team mates,telling them such things as "you will end up working in a factory"because he didn't like that this guy was a popular player with the fans..to"you're going to rot in the second team for a year" because this other guy wanted to leave due to no game time..To continually bullying all those around him and making the environment simply depressing,full of fear and self doubt!When in reality he is the fearful one..so much so that when I was in a cafe and spotted him with his wife..the time came to pay the bill,rather than pay himself he sent his wife to do his bidding because I was situated right next to the cash register and he would have had to come into contact with me!You see, he could never take me on,he always sent others into battle,his lips would tremble when he got angry and I would simply stand there thinking to myself "Who is this guy and how the fuck did I end up here"?! Don't get me started on Aaron Healy!Fuck me!How do these guys get jobs in football?I wish @newcastlejetsfc all the best but you have let the club be manipulated yet again.Jobs for the boys!When are you going to learn?!I really hoped that the club had turned a corner but no..you brought in the council guy from down the road to take the piss!Oh well,so how well did Ernie do with unlimited funds at @wellingtonphoenix ?that's right,you can't have success there,it's too hard with the travel! Ha!Fuck off!Ricky Herbert with half the cash got his team to a semi-final! THE KID WINS!FINISH HIM!FATALITY! 🙏🏾❤️🤙Ajde Jebote

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Ljubo Milicevic Instagram on Ernie Merrick 

Ok so here it is!Hello Bankruptcy!Ha!I can't bullshit myself any longer,I live by the no fucks given mantra,I've never taken a backward step,ever,to anyone..I would rather die standing than live on my knees..I absolutely despise bullies,people in positions of power who pick on the vulnerable and that's why in recent weeks I've told a few stories relating to certain people because they have essentially been shit humans!Well..This guy is second to only one person I've come across in football,as the shittest,nastiest,meanest and weakest fucken humans to be involved in the game!The way he has abused his role over the years,picking on kids,friends,my team mates,telling them such things as "you will end up working in a factory"because he didn't like that this guy was a popular player with the fans..to"you're going to rot in the second team for a year" because this other guy wanted to leave due to no game time..To continually bullying all those around him and making the environment simply depressing,full of fear and self doubt!When in reality he is the fearful one..so much so that when I was in a cafe and spotted him with his wife..the time came to pay the bill,rather than pay himself he sent his wife to do his bidding because I was situated right next to the cash register and he would have had to come into contact with me!You see, he could never take me on,he always sent others into battle,his lips would tremble when he got angry and I would simply stand there thinking to myself "Who is this guy and how the fuck did I end up here"?! Don't get me started on Aaron Healy!Fuck me!How do these guys get jobs in football?I wish @newcastlejetsfc all the best but you have let the club be manipulated yet again.Jobs for the boys!When are you going to learn?!I really hoped that the club had turned a corner but no..you brought in the council guy from down the road to take the piss!Oh well,so how well did Ernie do with unlimited funds at @wellingtonphoenix ?that's right,you can't have success there,it's too hard with the travel! Ha!Fuck off!Ricky Herbert with half the cash got his team to a semi-final! THE KID WINS!FINISH HIM!FATALITY! 🙏🏾❤️🤙Ajde Jebote

Old mate Ljubo is cooked

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Interesting read re Celtic and their interest in buying into the the A-league with other Euro clubs possibly following. Only thing now is to sack the current FFA management and get on with it. The future can be a lot brighter than this shit hole that Lowy et al are currently digging for us.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/how-socceroos-star-tom-rogic-prompted-celtic-to-look-at-buying-an-aleague-club-20171128-gzugp0.html

How Socceroos' star Tom Rogic prompted Celtic to look at buying an A-League club

Dominic Bossi

Tom Rogic might not know it, but he may well be the reason why Celtic could enter the A-League. Fairfax Media understands the Glasgow giants are interested in following the lead of Manchester City and buying an ownership stake in an A-League club with Central Coast Mariners emerging as one of their preferred purchases.

The Scottish champions are eager to explore business and investment opportunities in Australian football and a relationship with the Mariners that began almost five years ago with their purchase of Rogic could lead to a potential bid for the club. The two clubs began forging an unofficial partnership on January 9, 2013, when the attacking midfielder went on trial with Celtic. Having seen their initial investment of $750,000 on Rogic soar, the club is eager to gain a permanent foothold within the Australian football market.

Officials from Celtic were in Australia a fortnight ago and spent time on the Central Coast, visiting the Mariners' new Centre of Excellence training centre and attending the club's 2-0 win over Sydney FC on November 10. They did not discuss a potential takeover during their last visit but sources suggest Celtic have signalled their interest to other parties about buying into the A-League once a new operating model for the competition is finalised.

"I'm not surprised about their interest based on a new A-League operating model because I think it's got a lot of potential," Mariners' British-based chairman Mike Charlesworth said. "Frankly, I haven't personally spoken to anyone at Celtic, that's been handled by [chief executive] Shaun [Mielekamp] and [chief financial officer] Kathy [Duncan]."

Celtic have a genuine interest to tap into the player development in Australia to spread their network and the presence of their brand, but the Mariners are not the only club they are looking at. It's understood Celtic are also circling the Brisbane Roar whose future under the Indonesian-Bakrie Group is tenuous due to ongoing financial difficulties and payment issues.

Celtic are one of a number of big clubs from mid-tier European competitions looking to invest in Australia and Asia.

The club has all but drained existing streams available to them. Celtic have won the past six Scottish Premiership titles, they qualified for the lucrative UEFA Champions League four times during the past six seasons yet only reached the play-offs once. Their share of broadcast rights isn't likely to increase significantly so long as they remain part of the Scottish Premiership, merchandise revenue is close to its peak and save for the odd player transfer, Celtic have little room for growth. Even then, their last major sale was more than two years ago with the 2015 transfer of Virgil Van Dijk to Southampton for about $25 million. Celtic are not the only football company in this predicament with Dutch club Ajax and Austrian company Red Bull also understood to be exploring opportunities in Australia for similar reasons.

In recent months Celtic have shown considerable interest in growing their brand, presence and business interests in Australia, having expressed an interest in buying Brisbane Roar as well as the Mariners. However, it's understood they will not make an official bid until December 1 at the absolute earliest, once the FFA's Congress crisis is resolved and there are assurances over the governance of Australian football. Overseas investors are also awaiting the implementation of a new operating model that will give clubs more independence and potentially an ownership stake in the competition. A-League club owners are looking to follow the MLS in providing clubs with more influence to drive up the value of their assets.

Edited by HEARTinator

12 hours ago, jw1739 said:

It'll be nice to have some new rules specifically preventing Central Coast doing whatever they want to do.

I don't know how I will feel when the A-League consists solely of subsidiaries though, a la Melbourne City, Melbourne Arsenal, Central Coast Celtic, Red Bull Brisbane, Ajax Adelaide etc.

Edited by Blackout

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Forever City said:

Loan system couldbe put in place as early as January.

I never trust those dodgy 'Confidential' accounts, but a loan system is a no brainer, something that should have started a long time ago. If it does get implemented it will have a large effect on our squad (both good and bad).

Loans? That would be a fantastic move for the league. (About bloody time of course).

Not sure we’d try to loan anyone, but classy players like Killer and Genreau would be sought after.

The end of the article then refers to removing the transfer fee ban I think? (Tried to check but the pay wall came up)

Im not actually sure the loan thing would be as effective with the cap in place. The league this season seems to be a lot more equal so I dont think many young players would get a start. 

Transfers are definitely needed and the cap gone. Joyce and Arnold were the only two coaches to say keep it as it is

Joyce said “every club has got budgets anyway” while Arnold said: “I think while there’s no promotion-relegation then you still need a salary cap.”

I think that the cap needs to go because the standard of the league needs to increase a hell of a lot to generate more interest not only here but o/seas as well IMO. Obviously expansion and a second division is needed (thats where the loan system would be effective) but Im not sure where the money is going to come from. Plus the league needs to be extended in terms of length by starting earlier and I reckon we are going to have to put in more mid week games too. 

At the moment I actually think that the Aleague is seen in the broader public as a bit of a gimmick. Much like how I look at the Big Bash.  I would suggest the things above plus time would shake that image if it was there