Melbourne Football

A-League News Thread

mus-28

Should be brought in during the off-season, rather than thrown in while a season is in progress. Also the salary and numbers caps have to to be rethought at the same time, as well as the Lampard Rule. These things are all linked - can't just change one and leave the others the same.

Edit: Have changed my view on the proposal since my original post. Why would a club such as Sydney or City loan out players to other A-League clubs? The assumption is that those players will get more match time that way, but that match time will be in the same small league as the loaning club - why on earth would you do that? For example loan out Kilkenny and Genreau and then get beaten by the club you've loaned them to? What's going to happen to the existing players at the club to which loan players go? And can the loaning club replace the players loaned out?

Just seems to me that this proposal expects the wealthier clubs who put a lot into youth development to subsidise clubs who don't. Maybe it would be of value with a Second Division in place, but not without that. Just another ad hoc proposal coming from nowhere. Typical FFA - diverting attention from the fact that they have no strategic plans in place for the League whatsoever. The criteria for expansion clubs are now 10 months overdue.

Edited by jw1739

Avram Papadopoulos

7 match ban for spitting 

The Football Federation Australia (FFA) independent Disciplinary & Ethics Committee comprising John Marshall SC (Chair), Anthony Lo Surdo SC and Robert Wheatley (the Committee) today delivered their determination in the matter of Avram Papadopoulos (the Player) of Brisbane Roar FC.

The matter was referred to the Committee by the independent Match Review Panel for hearing and determination whether, having regard to all the circumstances, the Player had committed the offence of “Spitting at a player” (Offence), and if so, what sanction should be imposed.

The Committee determined that the Player had committed the Offence and must serve a suspension of seven (7) Hyundai A-League matches.

The Minimum Sanction for the Offence is six (6) matches.

As the Player has already served his Mandatory Match Suspension in Brisbane Roar FC’s Round 9 match against Western Sydney Wanderers FC on Saturday, 2 December 2017, the Player will be will be ineligible for Brisbane Roar FC’s matches in Rounds 10 to 15.

The Player will be eligible to return for Brisbane Roar FC’s Round 16 match against the Newcastle Jets scheduled for 12 January 2017.

If the Player wishes to appeal the determination of the Committee, he must advise FFA of his intention to do so within 7 days of receiving the written determination.

• 1 month later...

Why A-League transfer fees must start - and the salary cap must finish

By Sebastian Hassett 
1 FEB 2018 - 8:09 PM  

All good things must come to an end. And for more than a decade, the salary cap served the A-League well, the rules banning transfer fees less so.

But while they both had good intentions, they are now badly outdated and now deeply counter-productive. Which means they must be removed as quickly as possible.

Let’s start with the salary cap, which was introduced as a deflationary measure, to keep players’ wages from spiralling out of control.

It was quickly broken by Sydney FC and then again by Perth Glory. One or two other clubs have gone over but that’s for another day. But the problem in time hasn’t been over-spending – it has been the opposite.

Owners realised they could garner all the kudos and status from owning and operating a club yet still remain competitive on NSL-like budgets. For some, it has been the cheapest ticket to the top end of town.

In the end, salary caps only hurt the clubs trying to raise the bar in Australian football, repeatedly having to sell top players – often prematurely and for less than their market worth.

It’s not like the salary cap has divided the spoils evenly in any case – the three biggest markets of Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane have swallowed nine of 12 A-League titles between them.

If we removed the salary cap, would we see a gap between rich and poor?

Not really, because the best players will still go overseas, providing a natural equaliser. Mark Milligan is still making that move to Al Ahli, cap or no cap.

But it could, foreseeably, give Melbourne City better wiggle room to accommodate Ross McCormack – and to allow for the growth of Daniel Arzani.

Now they’ve lost one and will waste so much time trying to placate the salary of the other using a variation of the Duckworth-Lewis method.

This juggling act was briefly entertaining but it’s worn off now. If players’ salaries were disclosed – like in US sports and as World Players Association executive director Brendan Schwab has argued for – it would unleash a wave of interest in how a cap is managed and produce better outcomes for players.

The FFA toyed with a model back in 2015 and it would have triggered some great discussion and publicity. But Australian sport gets very awkward about salary disclosure, even though it has been a fantastic boost for the MLS (and players who now know their market worth).

Some may argue that a cap would assist in the transition to promotion and relegation, making it more affordable for second tier clubs to compete.

Again, this lowest-common denominator thinking is too short sighted. Squad-size limitation, rather than a cap, prevents warehousing and is a far superior way of spreading players without capping their earnings.

When it comes to banning transfer fees, the arguments don’t require too much nuance. The rule was plucked from thin air in a bid to stop players from small clubs losing players. Well-intentioned but utterly useless.

Not only did it have zero impact in this space, it prevented clubs from making money from selling their assets. And now we have the outrageous situation of players holding clubs to ransom for a release – which they grant to prevent a dressing room mutiny.

Adelaide should have played hard ball on Ben Warland and demanded a transfer fee from Sydney FC. But there’s nothing to gain from their end, so they just end up ceding to the player’s wishes.

This has facilitated a culture which means players can effectively walk out if another club makes an approach, the legality of which is questionable. Ultimately, this just helps the biggest clubs acquire players for nothing.

And if you’ve ever been on social media, you’ll know the decades-long anger around NPL clubs earning just a few thousand dollars when their players are snapped up by A-League clubs. Yes, this rule has to go, too.

I don’t blame the FFA for setting this initial framework, because their purpose was for a different time and space. But when something is broken and malfunctioning – as badly and as obviously as this – you need to fix it.

Like so many things in Australian football, the sooner these things change, the better.

• Like 3

http://www.3ders.org/articles/20180206-333d-to-sell-official-3d-printed-player-figurines-for-football-federation-australia.html

333D to sell official 3D printed player figurines for Football Federation Australia

Feb 6, 2018 | By Tess

333D, an Australian 3D printing company, has signed an official licensing agreement with the Football Federation Australia (FFA). As per the agreement, 333D will 3D print, distribute, and sell official FFA merchandise (specifically, 3D printed player figurines).

333d-sell-official-3d-printed-player-fig

333D's 3D printed player figurines for the AFL

The Melbourne-based company, formerly known as 3D Group, is somewhat experienced in the production of 3D printed sporting merchandise, as it has collaborated with the Australia Football League (AFL), Australia's version of the NFL, to produce 3D printed player figurines, special edition medallions and coins, and more.

333D also recently obtained an official license from Cricket Australia through which it is selling 3D printed bobblehead figures based on professional cricket players. These were launched at the fourth Ashes test at the MCG stadium—not that Australians needed any more reason to be cheerful during their comprehensive series win over England.

Through the recent licensing agreement with the FFA, 333D will now be able to produce soccer-related merchandise with official FFA branding, as well as the Hyundai A League, Australian National Men’s, and Australian National Women’s football teams logos.

333d-sell-official-3d-printed-player-fig

The company says its new 3D printed FFA products will include player bobbleheads that will be featured on 333D’s Mini League product range.

What 333D’s recent ventures seem to demonstrate is that 3D printed sporting merch is really taking off with the Aussies. Personally, I’d happily start collecting 3D printed player figurines over trading cards, if only to have Tim Cahill's oversized head nodding at me all day.

I want a shiny head Mooy bobble head, and a Goatlock 30cm model

Edited by haz

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Fucking great!

More shit to step on left on the floor in the middle of the night.

Good to see FFA getting involved with important stuff like printed figurines. I could have one of Aaron Mooy to replace one of my wife's faded garden gnomes.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, n i k o said:
Once again Simon goes in to bat for the game and as usual articulates the thoughts of most football supporters extremely well.

IMO it's a fine line between the concepts of "tribalism" and "mob culture" and I don't think his arguments would convince anyone determined to be "anti-soccer."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

IMO it's a fine line between the concepts of "tribalism" and "mob culture" and I don't think his arguments would convince anyone determined to be "anti-soccer."

And you've just highlighted the major flaw in the a leagues 'strategic' marketing of the game. The FFA has been too preoccupied with catering for the non football supporter that they forgotten the loyal fans that have supported it. Like it or hate it it's exactly that fine line that fascinates so many and makes our game unique all around the world. That's why Simon is absolutely spot on with what he says. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Thanks 1

On 2/28/2018 at 9:20 PM, n i k o said:

And you've just highlighted the major flaw in the a leagues 'strategic' marketing of the game. The FFA has been too preoccupied with catering for the non football supporter that they forgotten the loyal fans that have supported it. Like it or hate it it's exactly that fine line that fascinates so many and makes our game unique all around the world. That's why Simon is absolutely spot on with what he says. 

You may be correct that FFA has pursued a flawed marketing strategy, but I don't think you're right if you are suggesting that we should tolerate anti-social behaviour at football matches just because it is part of the game in some places elsewhere. Rather like the simulation debate. You're in Australia, and you're marketing your game in Australia, and if you want it to grow you have to market it to Australians. That may well involve discouraging behaviours on and off the field that are parts of the game elsewhere. I for one support FFA in that.

I'll also comment that IMO Simon Hill doesn't do any good  making a point that the media is only too willing to report flares at soccer matches whilst ignoring racist incidents at AFL matches. You don't do any good with that sort of argument. The real reason why we don't get much coverage of the A-League (for example, none whatsoever in last weekend's "Sunday Age") is that it's not really interesting to write about (especially when six matches are spread over two weeks). The way to increase the coverage is to improve the standard and format of the League and the actual football. No good pointing a negative finger at some other sport.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

You may be correct that FFA has pursued a flawed marketing strategy, but I don't think you're right if you are suggesting that we should tolerate anti-social behaviour at football matches just because it is part of the game in some places elsewhere. Rather like the simulation debate. You're in Australia, and you're marketing your game in Australia, and if you want it to grow you have to market it to Australians. That may well involve discouraging behaviours on and off the field that are parts of the game elsewhere. I for one support FFA in that.

I'll also comment that IMO Simon Hill doesn't do any good  making a point that the media is only too willing to report flares at soccer matches whilst ignoring racist incidents at AFL matches. You don't do any good with that sort of argument. The real reason why we don't get much coverage of the A-League (for example, none whatsoever in last weekend's "Sunday Age") is that it's not really interesting to write about (especially when six matches are spread over two weeks). The way to increase the coverage is to improve the standard and format of the League and the actual football. No good pointing a negative finger at some other sport.

The FFA have gone about it the wrong way becasue they've been trying to appease everyone but our already loyal football base of fans. Just to clarify this doesn't mean tolerating antisocial behaviour. 

It's your comment about marketing the game to Australians that I don't agree with and IMO is precisely the flaw in the current objectives. Don't market the damn game to Australians. Market the game to football fans. We have millions of them in this country that understand perfectly well how the game works on an international scale. Stop trying to walk on egg shells by changing the game and making it something it's not. This is an international sport and it's about time the FFA adopted this stance rather than comparing to the other codes that are only confined to Australia. 

If the FFA can do this and on top of that improve the standard and format of the league then this game will be able to get somewhere. 

Just on Simon I have no problem with his comments. I know exactly where he's coming from. Far too often the leaders of our sport that have a voice have tip toed around certain subjects in order to not upset people that will never have any interest in football no matter how good the game is, like those dinosaurs on that show. Your comment is a reflection of this fear of of upsetting the 'wrong people' or at least I got that impression. Quite honestly it's great to have someone that speaks back without fear of our game being persecuted when in reality it will be persecuted no matter what we do. 

Edited by n i k o

48 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Simon Hill is not saying that racist incidents are ignored (they are definitely not). He was pointing out the double-standards in the media. Are the actions of a few idiots in the RBB indicative of a cultural problem in football? If so, why are the repeated examples of racism at AFL matches not indicative of a cultural problem in that code?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Harrison said:

Simon Hill is not saying that racist incidents are ignored (they are definitely not). He was pointing out the double-standards in the media. Are the actions of a few idiots in the RBB indicative of a cultural problem in football? If so, why are the repeated examples of racism at AFL matches not indicative of a cultural problem in that code?

Because the problems with fans in the A-League is that their wrong doing is systematic, organised and premeditated.  

Fair enough it might be a few when in comparison to all the people who attend the game, but it is not a few when compared to the number of people in the active area and its usually the groups who are in control of the active ends that are responsible for the worst of the behaviour. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, malloy said:

Because the problems with fans in the A-League is that their wrong doing is systematic, organised and premeditated.  

Fair enough it might be a few when in comparison to all the people who attend the game, but it is not a few when compared to the number of people in the active area and its usually the groups who are in control of the active ends that are responsible for the worst of the behaviour. 

Well I think his point was that the number of people in active who are responsible for the idiotic behaviour is relatively small i.e. 10 or so people.

So that, as a percentage, even of all of active support, is still quite small. Then when you take that as a percentage of all people who attend the sport, it is minuscule (just as it is for AFL).

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

Well I think his point was that the number of people in active who are responsible for the idiotic behaviour is relatively small i.e. 10 or so people.

So that, as a percentage, even of all of active support, is still quite small. Then when you take that as a percentage of all people who attend the sport, it is minuscule (just as it is for AFL).

Basically what he's saying is

99% of people at the soccer are part of the general public however soccer is portrayed as a game dominated by hooligan supporters

99% of people at AFL games are part of the general public however AFL isn't portrayed as a game dominated by racist supporters

Focusing just on our game we have our own unique problems for sure. I think everyone's in agreeance that do we not want to associate with this small minority of flogs or have them in our game at all. If we were to have any control in the media we'd say they are not part of football. This is where Simon makes the comment that we want to seperate ourselves from these people just as the AFL wants to separate themselves from anyone making racist comments.

2 hours ago, Harrison said:

Its a lot more than 10. Let me tell you that.

And as I said in my first post there is a stark difference between people randomly yelling racist abuse or getting in drunken fights compared to groups of upto 100 organising themselves before games to cause trouble. 

For me the annoying part is these people sooking after getting called out on their behaviour. If you do this don't sook when the club imposes restrictions on active or the police use tough tactics etc.

Fwiw that is a larger problem in societ that not enough people are willing to take responsibility for their actions.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, malloy said:

And as I said in my first post there is a stark difference between people randomly yelling racist abuse or getting in drunken fights compared to groups of upto 100 organising themselves before games to cause trouble. 

For me the annoying part is these people sooking after getting called out on their behaviour. If you do this don't sook when the club imposes restrictions on active or the police use tough tactics etc.

Fwiw that is a larger problem in societ that not enough people are willing to take responsibility for their actions.

This is the thing that pisses me off the mosts. Those of our fans campaigning hardest for "FFA OUT" are the idiots who act like dick heads and get the privileges taken away. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, malloy said:

Absolutely. Personally, I'm not fully convinced by Hill's arguments on that point. It's obviously a lot more than just 10 people (never having been involved in active I wouldn't really know), but thankfully the majority of A-league supporters are sensible people who want active support without the hooligan elements. 

3 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

This is the thing that pisses me off the mosts. Those of our fans campaigning hardest for "FFA OUT" are the idiots who act like dick heads and get the privileges taken away. 

Exactly. The FFA deserve a lot of criticism but I struggle to sympathise with any of those idiots. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Melbourne Victory assistant coaches Jean-Paul de Marigny and Dean Anastasiadis been slapped with an extra three weeks of suspension after their brain snap during Saturday night’s semi-final win over Sydney FC.

The match review panel handed down the suspensions during a hastily-convened hearing last night that lasted a little over three hours.

Already assured of missing Saturday night’s grand final against Newcastle Jets in Newcastle after being sent from the bench, the duo was handed the extra three weeks on top of the mandatory one-match ban.

De Marigny and Anastasiadis have until 4pm today to appeal.

Following intervention from the Video Assistant Referee (VAR), de Marigny and Anastasiadis found themselves in trouble after television footage caught them involved in a fracas with Sydney FC’s David Carney just seconds after Terry Antonis had scored the winning goal for Victory in the dramatic and controversial A-League grand final qualifier at Allianz Stadium.

Along with a number of others, the two assistants had raced on the field to congratulate Antonis but, as the players made their way back for the kick-off, the television cameras caught de Marigny appearing to make contact with his hand on Carney’s face while Anastasiadis also became entangled.

Both were subsequently charged with violent conduct. As a result of the red card, they were automatically banned for one game so they cannot take part in the season decider against the Jets.

They can do training during the week, travel with the team and stay with them at the hotel, but, on the night of the game they cannot enter the stadium tunnel, go in the dressing room for several hours before the game or be involved in the players’ pre-game warm-up on the field. They cannot sit on the bench during the match and will have to sit in the stands but are not allowed to have contact with the coaching staff on the bench.

Just what involvement they can have after the match is unclear.

Victory coach Kevin Muscat, who will now have to find someone to replace Anastasiadis to warm up the goalkeepers, called for common sense in dealing with his two assistants.

Muscat said he had not seen the incidents as he had been caught up in the emotion of the goal, but suggested de Marigny and Anastasiadis had been punished enough by being sent off and not seeing the end of the game.

“They’ve obviously been punished for whatever reasons and we’ll find out what they are and we’ll go from there,” Muscat said. “They got punished not seeing the end of the game so surely common sense will prevail and they can enjoy what they’ve worked hard for throughout the season next week.

“Football is an emotional game and sometimes when someone gets overemotional we want to jump on them and crucify them.

“And then when there’s no emotion it is ‘Oh, it’s boring’, so you’ve got to be careful as well and I’m hoping common sense will prevail and I’m pretty sure it will.”

De Marigny found an ally in Sydney FC coach Graham Arnold.

“Jean Paul de Marigny is a great guy, it’s just emotion,” Arnold said. “It’s something hard to explain, especially in the Big Blue, in a rivalry.”

If that had happened at Grassroots level the ban would've been 12 months plus, as well as a nice fine for the club. It's not like Carney was off the pitch and instigated it, they made their way onto the field during a game. FFA fucking shambles as per usual.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Re the first article: O'Rourke is a deadset idiot if he thinks fans wanting their team to improve equates to fans wanting wholesale changes to the squad and to lose their best players.  Also unless the FFA are looking to lift the salary cap O'Rourke's words are hollow in their 'encouragement' to keep Arzani in the A-League. 

Re the second article: putting it onto club owners to invest more is ridiculous when the FFA has not built an investment friendly environment. Harper/the author seems to be skirting around the issue and firing shots in the wrong direction despite the one line about FFA.

• Like 3