Melbourne Football

Victorian NPL & State Leagues

Ando

Juve and Bergers will be back.

Juve should be back soon with the move back home next year and have a big season planned ahead I have been told.

Bergers wont be slow to recruit again.

Meanwhile Preston fight to stay up in NW Div 2.

TBH things are getting pretty boring without these traditionally better supported sides in the top flight and playing finals: There is only so excited one can get about Oakleigh vs Bentleigh or Gully vs Richmond.

At least as a Non Traditional VPL Club the thunder bring the fans through the gate.

Yeh Preston ended up surviving with a win in their final match of the season. Really sad what has happened to this club. From winners of the VPL in 2007 to consecutive relegations into Div 2. Hopefully one day they will be back up there.

• Like 1

That rocket hit a little kid near us and she went off with a couple of paramedics.

Horrible. Dandenong fans have disgraced themselves. The FFV should take a stand and strip the club of its title and make them play behind closed doors for a couple of seasons.

One has to ask themselves what kind of lowlife elements must support this club that they think this sort of behavior is acceptable.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

I sat by them in the second half and I didn't think they were that bad. It was just the flare chuckers that fucked it up for em. I couldn't understand their chants so can't comment on that but I'm pretty sure they had a huge influence on the game. For a smallish group they were pretty bloody loud.

Was a great game. Very physical and fast paced throughout. Well done to Dandenong. Naturally I faced the dilemma of backing either Greeks or Shiptars, but I found myself going for Dandenong as the game progressed.

Apparently the Albanian fans also had a banner or chanted, 'Kosovo is Albanian, Cyprus is Turkish.' I can't say I disagree with the latter. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Melbourne Knights will rise again

I cant see this happening in the present "Buy a Title with Vets" situation we have in the VPL...

But I agree "IF" (And that is a big effort) the FFV awards the club for its good Youth Policy it could be a key player in the new FFV reforms.

Edited by cadete

I'm new to the Australian football scene, does somebody mind giving me some basic information about the VPL? Like how do you join the teams? Who are the best? Anything that you'd tell a new comer would be amazing :)

Read up on the NSL and the Victorian clubs that were in it.

Most of the old NSL clubs are still doing okay in the VPL, with a few exceptions, and are generally also the teams with the most backing.

I'm new to the Australian football scene, does somebody mind giving me some basic information about the VPL? Like how do you join the teams? Who are the best? Anything that you'd tell a new comer would be amazing :)

Melbourne Knights, Dandenong Thunder.

two most prominent teams, i guess.

Only reason Dande is up and about at the moment is because they are relatively new to the Victorian top tier. Clubs drop off when they are relegated. South is still quite prominent, but current support for all the ex-NSL clubs pales in comparison to even 5-10 years ago.

Let's face it, the FFA didn't want ethnic-backed clubs. Since they adopted this policy we have seen the decline of these clubs, ranging from gradual to rapid.

Only reason Dande is up and about at the moment is because they are relatively new to the Victorian top tier. Clubs drop off when they are relegated. South is still quite prominent, but current support for all the ex-NSL clubs pales in comparison to even 5-10 years ago.

Let's face it, the FFA didn't want ethnic-backed clubs. Since they adopted this policy we have seen the decline of these clubs, ranging from gradual to rapid.

A lot of the clubs supporters are simply dying out...

Also their are now more of the old NSL clubs in the divisions below the VPL than in the Top State League:

Juve, Bergers, Georgies, Preston etc.

Let's face it, you're only upset because Makedonia are languishing.

• Like 1

Let's face it, you're only upset because Makedonia are languishing.

I'm simply stating the facts mate, no need to be a prick about it. Any true football fan should be disappointed that Preston is struggling, they are an icon of the game here in Australia. Just like South, Melb Croatia, etc, they allowed the world game to flourish here.

Seems like Heidelberg is lost without Preston, maybe in 2014 the clubs will once again find themselves in the same division. Both clubs based on migrants from Lerin (Florina), yet such fierce rivals for obvious reasons.

This is correct. Dunno why their kit is blue & white, should be green & white since AFAIK they're meant to be a Pelister wannabe club, like Altona is red & black since they're Vardar wannabes etc.

From what I've gathered Tesla, they don't seem to be very maco affiliated these days. The club was formed by migrants from Bitola (hence the pelister association), but looking at their squad and such there doesn't seem to be a great maco presence at all.

Perhaps I'm not looking in the right place, but that's just what I've seen. Although they do play in the maco cup generally, so obviously there is still some connection.

Not sure why the colours are blue and white as you pointed out. The ckembari have always been green, so no idea why pasco vale didn't follow suit.

I'm simply stating the facts mate, no need to be a prick about it. Any true football fan should be disappointed that Preston is struggling, they are an icon of the game here in Australia. Just like South, Melb Croatia, etc, they allowed the world game to flourish here.

Seems like Heidelberg is lost without Preston, maybe in 2014 the clubs will once again find themselves in the same division. Both clubs based on migrants from Lerin (Florina), yet such fierce rivals for obvious reasons.

Just having a laugh, mate.

I do agree with you, but I think the FFA made the right move for football in this country to progress.

Just having a laugh, mate.

I do agree with you, but I think the FFA made the right move for football in this country to progress.

All good, difficult to tell people's intentions over the net. My bad.

I agree, to an extent it was a key decision in order to expand the game to all football fans, not just ethnics. I just dislike the treatment that these foundational clubs and their fans received from the FFA.

The major problem however has been the promotion of the game. There was a huge opportunity during Australia's 2006 World Cup campaign to really bring the game forward in leaps and bounds. The fact there are still no FTA matches broadcasted just about says it all.

Edited by MKD

All good, difficult to tell people's intentions over the net. My bad.

I agree, to an extent it was a key decision in order to expand the game to all football fans, not just ethnics. I just dislike the treatment that these foundational clubs and their fans received from the FFA.

The major problem however has been the promotion of the game. There was a huge opportunity during Australia's 2006 World Cup campaign to really bring the game forward in leaps and bounds. The fact there are still no FTA matches broadcasted just about says it all.

But what choice did they have? The FFA had to make a stand against ethic-based support to show exactly how committed they were in bringing in an all-welcoming environment.

Agreed.

But what choice did they have? The FFA had to make a stand against ethic-based support to show exactly how committed they were in bringing in an all-welcoming environment.

But it isn't an 'all-welcoming environment' if you shun 3/4 of the soccer population. Fair enough, you wan't to create an environment for any football fan, regardless of their ethnicity, but that does not justify turning your back on the people who developed the sport in this country. There were other ways of expanding the game without creating hostility. Ethnic-backed teams suffer far more scrutiny over 'incidents' than any A-league club does. That is where it is wrong, no consistency.

All in all, the FFA are clueless. They have no idea how to promote and manage a national league.

Completely disagree. Look at where we are compared to 10-15 years ago. Huge growth.

Considering Australia's success in football during recent years (in particular the 2006 WC), the sport should be ahead of where it is now. The growth was inevitable, but the incompetence of the FFA has hindered an opportunity for further growth.

Perhaps the worst/stupidest decision in regards to the A-League was to not have two Melbourne and Sydney teams from the get-go.