Melbourne Football

Victorian NPL & State Leagues

Ando

Eltham Redbacks top of State League 3 (whichever version we are in east?) Star striker out with that bloody foot thing footballers get but star centre back playing up front and killing it (the guy is a beast, basically).

football chaos has some highlights from the most recent win.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Eltham Redbacks top of State League 3 (whichever version we are in east?) Star striker out with that bloody foot thing footballers get but star centre back playing up front and killing it (the guy is a beast, basically).

football chaos has some highlights from the most recent win.

We had football Chaos film one of our games, I was a bit surprised that they would make the journey out to Lilydale to film the lowest division possible haha

• 1 month later...

Victory youth are playing south melbourne today. After all the chaos last game, victory decided to make the game closed to the public (because they were incapable of providing adequate security) and quite surprisingly, they are playing the game at AAMI!! 2pm kickoff, live on south's Facebook. 

Very interesting, I wonder if this sets any precedent for some more city games pre-season at aami, or if it further highlights that Victory have a better deal at AAMI. 

I watched a fair bit of that match on Souths Facebook page, great coverage btw, not surprisingly south smashed them 4-1 and now victory are officially relegated. I think most clubs in that division may breath a sigh of relief as victory fans have caused nothing but chaos this season, apparently they may be off to the tribunal again in relation to an incident at Oakleigh a fortnight ago where they entered the venue, watched 10 mins of the game, then exited the venue and started throwing flares and bottles from the outside over the fence into the ground, all the while demanding and receiving a refund upon exit..you could imagine the people manning the ticket booths would have been terrified, absolute lunatics.

Round 23 National Premier League clash between Melbourne Victory and Melbourne Knights has been postponed. 

Federation Victoria confirmed the news on Thursday, citing extensive consultation with both clubs and with reference to FFV’s match security guidelines.

Damn it 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

MELBOURNE Knights have been approached by a Chinese consortium about a joint-venture A-League license.

The Knights are keeping the identity of the potential Chinese investor under wraps, but is understood to be a property developer with a small stake in several European clubs and a bigger share in a Chinese club.

It’s understood that talks about a $25m venture in Australia are ongoing, with the secret Chinese consortium eager to tap into local knowledge but secure a majority share.

The Knights have agreed, in-principle, to commit $8.5m to the project.

The two-time National Soccer League champions retain a big profile like a number of former top flight clubs, having produced international stars such as Mark Viduka, Josip Simunic, Joey Didulica and Danny Tiatto.

77% of original size (was 650x488) - Click to enlarge2c6f0a072a5ab77fefd16b04bb39846d?width=6 Melbourne Knights player Stipo Andruaslnic in action against Green Gully.

Under the proposal, the Knights would continue playing in the local National Premier Leagues (state league top tier), acting as a feeder club for the A-League franchise and possibly a Chinese club.

Knights vice-president Simun Samardzic confirmed that formal talks were taking place but refused to divulge the identity of the Chinese businessman.

“We as a club are looking to the future and the interest from China is very serious,’’ Samardzic said.

“At this stage we are not in a position to reveal the identity of the Chinese businessman, but he’s passionate about football and has followed the Newcastle Jets sale very closely.

“We realise that we are little hope of joining the A-League ourselves, but we remain a club that’s internationally renowned because of our success and proud history having produced the likes of Viduka, Simunic, Tiatto and Frank Juric, who played all over the world.’’

77% of original size (was 650x488) - Click to enlarge25007a417bf2cdfbe6ec6ec060ad417a?width=6 Mark Viduka in action for the Knights in 1995.

The Knights are back in the spotlight tomorrow night when they host WA side Cockburn City at Knights Stadium in the FFA Cup Round of 32.

Expansion and promotion/relegation has become a hot topic since the advent of the FFA Cup, with former NSL clubs and new consortiums eager to join the A-League.

Football Federation Australia has no immediate plans to expand but foreign investors, former NSL clubs and new consortiums are pushing for the 10-team national competition to grow.

Talks with the Chinese investor have thrown up the possibility of redeveloping the current facility in Sunshine, which is owned by the club, into a mega complex with synthetic pitches or building a new base.

Newcastle Jets were recently bought by Chinese millionaire Martin Lee for a fee in the vicinity of $5m.

Lee, who is the chairman of a hi-tech LED signage manufacturer the Ledman Group, has targeted Asian Champions League qualification within three years for the Jets.

Edited by n i k o

Melbourne needs an A-League team that doesn't have a massive flaw. 

City are the equivalent of a McDonald's franchise, Victory have ultimate flog supporters, Hellas are too ethnic and the Chinese Knights would be a combination of all three.

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Melbourne needs an A-League team that doesn't have a massive flaw. 

City are the equivalent of a McDonald's franchise, Victory have ultimate flog supporters, Hellas are too ethnic and the Chinese Knights would be a combination of all three.

lol name a team anywhere in the world without a massive flaw. Statements like this come across so delusional. Heart was deeply flawed in its lack of ambition, shit I even find Chelsea flawed and I am as bias as can be to them

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thisphantomfortress said:

lol name a team anywhere in the world without a massive flaw. Statements like this come across so delusional. Heart was deeply flawed in its lack of ambition, shit I even find Chelsea flawed and I am as bias as can be to them

And heart were just as much as a McDonalds franchise as City is. In fact the same discussions were had about identity and all those issues back in the heart days, now suddenly that heart is gone, it had all this identity and history apparently

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So Final day of the NPL1 Season today. Bentleigh Greens are the premiers with Heidelberg United finishing 2nd. Northcote city have been relegated along with             victory youth.

Richmond finish in 12th place meaning they take on the winner of the NPL2 playoff (2nd in east vs 2nd in west). For anyone who enjoys passionate games of football- I highly recommend going to it, I went to North Geelong vs victory youth last year which was epic.

City youth look to have fucked up a great position in the league (sound familiar) and look a very unlikely chance to sneak into a playoff spot.

7 minutes ago, True Until I die said:

So Final day of the NPL1 Season today. Bentleigh Greens are the premiers with Heidelberg United finishing 2nd. Northcote city have been relegated along with             victory youth.

Richmond finish in 12th place meaning they take on the winner of the NPL2 playoff (2nd in east vs 2nd in west). For anyone who enjoys passionate games of football- I highly recommend going to it, I went to North Geelong vs victory youth last year which was epic.

City youth look to have fucked up a great position in the league (sound familiar) and look a very unlikely chance to sneak into a playoff spot.

Results are irrelevant, How many can make the step up though ? 

• 6 months later...

Has anybody on here been attending the NPL this season? I travelled out to Broady to watch the Knights play Hume in what ended up being a classic in round 1, then saw NG take on Bentleigh at home. 

Plenty of good sides this season, but hoping Hume can win it if the Knights can't. 

46 minutes ago, marn11 said:

Has anybody on here been attending the NPL this season? I travelled out to Broady to watch the Knights play Hume in what ended up being a classic in round 1, then saw NG take on Bentleigh at home. 

Plenty of good sides this season, but hoping Hume can win it if the Knights can't. 

Huge Port Melbourne fan here! Get to all the home games....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 28/02/2017 at 8:26 AM, marn11 said:

I haven't been to any yet as I've had to move back to Phillip island but you are spot on in saying there are plenty of good sides.

knights got off to a solid start then copped 6 at oakleigh.

port Melbourne are suprising me a bit as well.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
4 hours ago, mus-28 said:

Headed out to Endeavour Hills to watch the Dandy derby catch up game. Ljubo got injured 15 minutes in. City had a few young blokes playing in defence and had to throw their top scorer down centre back. Early 2nd half, Ljubo comes and stands next to us on the fence shouting out to the defence giving them instructions. All good. Few Thunder supporters start lipping off, Ljubo's banter game is strong. Like watching Connor McGregor fight Stephen Hawking. Thunder given very sketchy goal to draw level. Thunder fans up the banter. Thunder grab lead. Ljubo jumps back over fence to pitch as it was becoming pretty constant. Bloke tells Ljubo "we'll have a drink after the game", "I'll take your wife for a drink, show her a good time" is the reply. All hell breaks loose. Group of very angry Abanians run to fence, Scorned husband and his wife's brother trying to get onto pitch threatening Ljubo. Some fuckstain threatens photographer who was ironically there to photograph Thunder and makes him delete photos of the altercation. Full time whistle goes, they're still livid yelling and screaming. $10 well spent. 

Ljubo feeling them vibes out at dandy

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Went and watched Dandy Thunder get violated by South Melbourne 9-0. Thunder have forgotten about defence and have spent their budget on bringing in Theo Markelis, who now looks like he's a run of the mill state league player. Unless they can bring in 3 or 4 good experienced players they'll be going down without a fight. Brandon Barnes will score them goals, but they defend like a pub team.

Thinking it's a pretty open race between South, Avondale, Green Gully and Heidelberg. Having watched Heidelberg dismantle Bentleigh in the Community Shield I can't see Bentleigh having the squad to continually beat all of the other top teams.  

• Like 1