Melbourne Football

What do you value more? Premier's Plate or Championship?

JB1985

I used to hold the Premiers plate as a greater achievement, but listening to different people's opinions It's definitely the Championship.

Just ask yourself would you rather Heart finish 2nd in the regular season and win the grand final or finish 1st in the regular season and lose the grand final?

Edited by Jimmy

The finals system is a joke. The over-all winner of the league is who wins over the 27 games. I have the exact same feelings about the championship play-offs from the UK. How can a team finish 6th (which in A-league is less than mid-table) and still be in for a shot at the championship?? its a farce and a stain on the competition. The real winner is who is top of the table at the end of the home and away season.

FWIW finishing 6th is not an achievement.

Don't think either will bother the Heart this season...

But I'll reiterate what many have said in other threads. When 'finals' consist of the best 6 teams out of only 10 it is not acceptable to have an objective 'to make finals.' All such an objective does is to cement in place an acceptance of mediocrity. It's the equivalent of having an EPL finals series in which the top 12 out of 20 participate. Laughable.

It's a good discussion to have, but there will ALWAYS be post season play-offs as the only time you could scrap them is when promotion and relegation is viable as having no finals in a league without relegation will be a circus. By half way through the season you'll only have three or four teams with any hope of winning and the rest will have zero reason to turn up on match day. It'll lead to a lot of low quality games. But by the time promotion and relegation is viable the finals will be so engrained into the fabric of the competition that they wouldn't get scraped anyway.

In Australia the Championship winner will always be held in higher regard so get used to it or go watch EPL.

The finals system is a joke. The over-all winner of the league is who wins over the 27 games. I have the exact same feelings about the championship play-offs from the UK. How can a team finish 6th (which in A-league is less than mid-table) and still be in for a shot at the championship?? its a farce and a stain on the competition. The real winner is who is top of the table at the end of the home and away season.

FWIW finishing 6th is not an achievement.

In fact in the UK lower leagues you don't have the chance to win the championship or title. That is only won in the first 46 games. But you get a chance at promotion instead which I think is fair.

Imo 6th is an acheievement when you have 24, but not so in a 10 man comp.

I think it should be top 4 teams play finals. That way you actually have to be in the top half of the table to make it.

Edited by btrain

• 2 weeks later...