Melbourne Football

Matchday 26: v Newcastle - Monday 23rd March 7.30pm at McDonald Jones Stadium

Harrison

19 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Just look a little lack luster up forward but i worry fatigue will catch up with them in the second half

We have a timid forward line against large centrebacks. Boogaard and TP are reading us like a book.

Edited by Mr MO

5 minutes ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

Can Wales fuck off

How is he still on the park FFS?

He stupidly just watched Maclaren instead of taking a few steps away to open up some room! Useless!!

Floriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin!! I love this Frenchie! 😍

Edited by Red or Dead
  • Like 1

I love big Tom Glover but that was a garbage effort, you can't get a whole hand on the ball and still let it trickle in. He needs to to better. Chalk most of his mistakes this season didn't win to inexperience.

Wales useless again, it's like playing with a man down going forward. 80% of the time it looks like he just has no clue what is going on around him. Can someone give me any logical explanation as to why he keeps getting games, surely the Kisnorbo and mombaerts have seen what little he has to offer?

Such a routine heart/city loss to a side well below is on the table, who we have previously thumped this season.

I don’t think Wales is awful but his numbers don’t lie. Two assists in 12 full matches. Most of his efforts are ok but there’s not much if any product at the end of it for a winger.

As for the game itself, Newcastle are better now under Robinson than they were.  We looked full of run toward the end but the execution was sloppy so fatigue probably played a part. 

Last game for probably a long time. Disappointed we lost but more sad that we don’t have football anymore.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TJV said:

Such a routine heart/city loss to a side well below is on the table, who we have previously thumped this season.

The curse persists. Until we can reverse this we will never win anything.

So disappointing to have to play this match with FFA having already decided to postpone all other matches. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jw1739 said:

The curse persists. Until we can reverse this we will never win anything.

So disappointing to have to play this match with FFA having already decided to postpone all other matches. 

How can it be stopped? 

New coaches, new players, new colours, same old limp performances against big sides when it matters, and timid displays against sides we should be dispatching routinely (no disrespect to Newcastle). 

I got to watch the game last night, having to do long hours at the moment and Atkinson best on field again for me.

I think we should persist with Glover, he made some great saves, could have done better with one, but I reckon he will develop into a very good keeper.

Berenguer was good when he came on as well, if he is still here next season, I hope this run of form continues and I wouldn't say no at this point.

I wonder if this season will be written off and Sydney, Perth, Victory will play ACL next campaign, it would be our luck?

23 minutes ago, moops said:

I wonder if this season will be written off and Sydney, Perth, Victory will play ACL next campaign, it would be our luck?

Will be interesting what happens. Either AFC says bad luck to those three, or they just restart the ACL next season based on the postponed season.

Imo, the teams should play off for a spot. So that would include; Sydney, Perth, Victory, City and maybe Brisbane?

1 hour ago, moops said:

I got to watch the game last night, having to do long hours at the moment and Atkinson best on field again for me.

I think we should persist with Glover, he made some great saves, could have done better with one, but I reckon he will develop into a very good keeper.

Berenguer was good when he came on as well, if he is still here next season, I hope this run of form continues and I wouldn't say no at this point.

IMO Sydney should be declared Premiers and otherwise the season should be written off. It's not clear when there will be another ACL competition, and IMO the Confederation can decide qualification rules at the time.

This season was always going to be a bit unfair anyway, with an incomplete "third round."In saying that I'm assuming that Macarthur coming in will mean an even season of 22 matches, but then how we get to 27 for the ACL is a question mark. IMO we should either have a "League Cup" competition to bring the number of matches up, or we go back to three complete rounds and play 33 matches. I can't see why we can't do the latter.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO Sydney should be declared Premiers and otherwise the season should be written off. It's not clear when there will be another ACL competition, and IMO the Confederation can decide qualification rules at the time.

This season was always going to be a bit unfair anyway, with an incomplete "third round."In saying that I'm assuming that Macarthur coming in will mean an even season of 22 matches, but then how we get to 27 for the ACL is a question mark. IMO we should either have a "League Cup" competition to bring the number of matches up, or we go back to three complete rounds and play 33 matches. I can't see why we can't do the latter.

Finals and the FFA cup matches are counted to get the quota.

20 minutes ago, moops said:

Finals and the FFA cup matches are counted to get the quota.

Not every A-League team will get to the quota. If knocked out of the Cup first round, but do well in the season and play 3 finals, still only get to 26 - or is 26 enough?

Anyway, I think we need more football, not less.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Not every A-League team will get to the quota. If knocked out of the Cup first round, but do well in the season and play 3 finals, still only get to 26 - or is 26 enough?

Anyway, I think we need more football, not less.

It all depends on whether that 27 rounds is for a club to play to be eligible to play ACL or for the Federation/League to have at least 27 rounds, which then every A-League club will automatically satisfy that requirement whether they go deep into FFA Cup/Finals series or not...