Melbourne Football

The different supporter groups

True Until I die

Yarraside- is the 'active' portion of the south end of the stadium. We stand for the length of games coordinating singing, chanting, displays, flags, banners etc. We believe that our supports adds to the atmosphere at games and we aid the club on and off the pitch with a strong vocal and visual presence.

Melbourne Heart supporters are just that, people who support our club. Thus, we have decided to create a one-stop spot for all things MHFC, be it active or otherwise.

Thats the YS perspective.

I would encourage an ACTUAL member of RWU to give a brief run down of their activities and ethos/credo as I do not wish to misrepresent the group.

Cheers.

Good that you're asking questions around here and trying to learn, young grasshopper, but this is the sort of question I think isn't threadworthy and can easily be answered by shooting off a PM to a senior member of the terrace. They aren't hard to find either, just ask around on game day and you'll find your man.

See you wednesday bud.

That`s a good question as the Yarraside are easy to spot for the one`s who wish to join in.But what about the fans who prefure a more English style of support?

We need a voice in or around bay 40 to give support at both ends.

Yeh imagine singing C'mon you bhoys in Red across two ends.

Good that you're asking questions around here and trying to learn, young grasshopper, but this is the sort of question I think isn't threadworthy and can easily be answered by shooting off a PM to a senior member of the terrace. They aren't hard to find either, just ask around on game day and you'll find your man.

See you wednesday bud.

Disagree, I reckon it is worthy of a thread, our supporters are civilised enough to discuss the differences and there'd be plenty Heart supporters out there who don't know the differences.

That`s a good question as the Yarraside are easy to spot for the one`s who wish to join in.But what about the fans who prefure a more English style of support?

Yarraside End does have a number of English styled chants that are sung, at least probably 50% have originated in GB.

Why would we want a English styled North End, you realise that we are not Mongs?

Red andd white unite is basically the melbourne heart supporters, some are in yarraside, some are in GA and some are in premium seats. It was a fourm that fans voiced their opinions about everything heart, exactly what this one is. I beileve that it is a very common misconceptioan that they are rival and different supporter groups. I was/still am part of red and white unite but am also part of yarraside. Red and white unite alos meet at the impy pre game, but it is an association so there is a commite who meet once a month to discuss what is going on. They have a futsal tournament once a year and hold a few events, like yarraside do. That is all I know, I am not really involved. Te difference however between the old ones was red and white was more structured and focused a lot on the game, the tactics, the players. however it was not very much like a fourm, it was very basic and nowhere near as big a yarraside. Now that they are together 1) there is more 2) there is a mix between the heart and all other fottball ond other things.

Red & White unite was originally set up in the same sort of vain as the Spirit of Shankly, or as a "Supporters Association" style of group. We are actually a registered non-profit association.

The original goal for the group was to assist the club in finding fans. There was a group of about 20 people on various forums that had shown they were interested in supporting heart and were brought together to chat about the new club, see how we could help the club find other people interested, and support them whenever we could.

Originally that group was going to be called the "Melb Heart Supporters Association" and consisted of people interested in both Active and non-active support.

We set up a very early forum, but after about 1-2 months there was a split - the YS forum started and the YS guys started looking at the Active side of things, and the RWU website started - and we changed the name, where we started to post blogs, youtube vid's, the podcast etc.

RWU is more aimed at the type of supporters that are not active, not everyone wants to be active but still wants to follow the club, and we wanted to create something that catered for them as well. There is an overlap between the groups - A lot of RWU guys stand in YS on game days, and a couple of YS guys are involved with RWU.

These days - the main things we do are the podcast - the HeartCast, and also our Matchday fanzine - Schip Happens, as well as the annual supporter futsal competition. However, we are looking to run future events - such as a trivia night.

• Like 2

Speaking as someone sitting behind the Heart bench...

1. Our home form is poor. We have won at home only three times since the First Derby. We need to start scoring goals and winning regularly at AAMI before the non-active members and casuals will start to join in.

2. The chants with the best chance of catching on should be simple and family friendly.

I reckon the best chances are with:

'Come on you boys in red' and 'Ooh, ooh Melbourne Heart, sha-la-la etc.' Those two sound fantastic when YS are in full voice.

I've tried a few times with the first, e.g. at corners and so on, to no avail. It may be a while before people will feel comfortable at throwing off their inhibitions, so give it time.

Edited by jw1739

Sounds lovely in theory, but unfortunately it's not going to happen and that's the sad reality.

Do you think you are the first to have these thoughts? So many different strategies have been tried, and tried again.

We can't even get the whole of the active supporters to stand-up for the 90, let alone joining in the singing/chanting.

Pretty much once we've conceded, it's lights out for the majority of fans,

In this day in age, barley anywhere in the world do you get a whole stadium singing together during a match, in any sport - other then your anthems or with the help of audio over the speakers, etc - so, how are we supposed to achieve it?

As much as we'd all love it to happen, the reality is Australian sporting culture took a dive for the worst in the late 70's-80's where the Americanization of our sports, culture and society began to really take place.

Basket ball announcers force you to chant "de-fense, de-fense", etc, Cricket now has cheerleaders and fireworks, AFL play music after every goal and have some sort of sponsor named trophy for every second league game... I could go on but I'm sure you guys get the picture.

Amongst other things, largely,

- club loyalty has been lost,

- artificial/plastic passion/emotion is forced,

- fickle fans and band-wagoners are all the rage,

- and many people have simply become little lambs in this society. (See snapbacks, etc)

Anyway, i've strayed of topic, but the long and the short of it is, "It ain't gonna happen".

• Like 6

Sounds lovely in theory, but unfortunately it's not going to happen and that's the sad reality.

Do you think you are the first to have these thoughts? So many different strategies have been tried, and tried again.

We can't even get the whole of the active supporters to stand-up for the 90, let alone joining in the singing/chanting.

Pretty much once we've conceded, it's lights out for the majority of fans,

SNIP

Regardless of the nature of the game and sport in general nowadays, that is a fucking soft attitude.

I think Yarraside do a great job in getting behind the team,but i`d like to see less of that throwing of scarf`s in the air.

When i say English style i mean for example the kop at Liverpool.If your going to bring a scarf to the football in the summer hold it up high to make some colour and sing.

the snoop is a highly requested chant.

the terrace will scream out to the capo to start it off.

why remove what has become one of the most popular and requested chants?

I think Yarraside do a great job in getting behind the team,but i`d like to see less of that throwing of scarf`s in the air.

When i say English style i mean for example the kop at Liverpool.If your going to bring a scarf to the football in the summer hold it up high to make some colour and sing.

You kidding me? I have 3 or 4 blokes from footy who didn't really follow the sport, came along to a game, fell in love with that chant. They therefore bought a scarf each and whenever they come they're itching for that chant to start.

You kidding me? I have 3 or 4 blokes from footy who didn't really follow the sport, came along to a game, fell in love with that chant. They therefore bought a scarf each and whenever they come they're itching for that chant to start.

Awesome! This chant even gets going in the rest of the stadium now and then, would love to encourge more unique chants like these in the Yarraside!

Snoop is brilliant.

Scarves up in the air is harder to achieve than is sounds. What tune do you sing it with? Scarves up might work when the players come out, but we have been grappling for some time to craft a tune to fit the bill.

I admit that sometimes we need to break up the arms up clapping stuff with some other actions etc, but it's an ongoing improvement thing.

• Like 1

Speaking as someone sitting behind the Heart bench...

1. Our home form is poor. We have won at home only three times since the First Derby. We need to start scoring goals and winning regularly at AAMI before the non-active members and casuals will start to join in.

2. The chants with the best chance of catching on should be simple and family friendly.

I reckon the best chances are with:

'Come on you boys in red' and 'Ooh, ooh Melbourne Heart, sha-la-la etc.' Those two sound fantastic when YS are in full voice.

I've tried a few times with the first, e.g. at corners and so on, to no avail. It may be a while before people will feel comfortable at throwing off their inhibitions, so give it time.

I also sit behind the Heart bench and I heard one chant coming from the southern end that stood out to me at the Glory game just gone (not sure if it was used last night as I wasn't there) as a chant that would catch on with the majority of people all over the stadium.

It basically focussed on the word "Heart" and contained a clap routine and WAS NOT "Heart clap clap clap" as that would suck.

Unfortunately I only heard it once and for a short period of time so apologies for my limited description, but if anyone knows what I am talking about, chime in with what it is called and exactly how it goes.

It would be easy to drill into the psyche of the masses, one that could be used when the team needs a lot of noise and support from everyone and one to help everyone celebrate.

Clearly the supporter groups lead the active support and you do a great job but one thing that is defining is the silence around the ground from everyone else at times

Getting something like this to catch on can only help build a bigger and more purposeful supporter base. I believe the families etc would love to have just one simple chant they could belt out at a game.

I believe the families etc would love to have just one simple chant they could belt out at a game.

Cinnamon, you're dead right. I've been making this point for a year and a half now. The KISS principle. You missed the CCM game, but there was a lot more involvement all around the ground. Behind the bench we actually got the clapping going at corners etc., but, as you've seen, we're dealing with people who don't readily feel able to let themselves go a bit.