Melbourne Football

Matchday 24: v CCM - Friday 20th March 5.30pm at Central Coast Stadium

Harrison

I'm loving how Atkinson is getting forward, gives us another attacking option. Reminds me a bit of Grant.

..but I'm very worried that atm, he's just trying a bit too much and ends up losing possession often in a game - which leaves us open down that side.

Just needs to get that balance right and he'll be an excellent player in this league.

• Like 2

Good win and decent performance. 

BUT, to play a game under todays circumstances,  not tomorrow not next weeks circumstances but with what we know today is not only foolish but counterproductive. 

This is extraordinary times and to pretend anything less is just dumb.

Until everyone realises the shit we are in including professional sport we have a long journey back.

To continue to play until a player or official tests positive which is basically the modus without being said is destined to fail. 

No further games should be played and thr season wiped. All attention needs to br focused on trying to stop the spread and ultimately trying to manage this global disaster. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

BUT, to play a game under todays circumstances,  not tomorrow not next weeks circumstances but with what we know today is not only foolish but counterproductive. 

Until everyone realises the shit we are in including professional sport we have a long journey back.

To continue to play until a player or official tests positive which is basically the modus without being said is destined to fail. 

No further games should be played and thr season wiped. All attention needs to br focused on trying to stop the spread and ultimately trying to manage this global disaster. 

As I've posted elsewhere, half the new infections in Australia are still arrivals from overseas at our airports. It is totally irresponsible for teams and officials to be at airports at this time. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Not sure why Berenguer is still on the pitch. Surely Connor and Dennis are in the naughty books.

Luna cramp now, waiting way too long with subs.

Apparently, yes they are in the "Naughty Books" but i think the corona stuff will mean they will have to get game time in the rotations. 😉

2 hours ago, Missing_Moy said:

Didn’t the boys drive to NSW? 

26 minutes ago, johnno cpfc said:

they were driven in a coach !

Wasn't specifically directed at last night. Indeed not specifically at the A-League. General comments about "sports people."

22 hours ago, Jovan said:

It's a bit disturbing when we see the AFL bragging about how popular the AFL has been with sports starved fans in the United States (Gillon McLachlan's Krusty the Clown "Think of the ratings..." moment). When we see ScoMo saying there's a few days to go until we shut events down to a maximum of 500 people, so I'll go watch the Sharks on the weekend, because it's my last chance for a while (what would happen if everyone thought the same way as the Prime Minister). When we say A-League and AFL players observing the regulations with fist bumps and elbow bumps at the end of games (presumably because someone on the staff is yelling reminders to them), but they can't help themselves to jump all over each other after a goal, because it's hard to change instinctive behaviours after 15/20/30 years of celebrating that way. 

I'm not blaming the players here, just saying that a) it's unrealistic to expect players to be robots during spur of the moment instances of jubilation; and b) it sends a terrible, confusing message to people and especially kids  watching their heroes hugging each other and sharing drink bottles when we're being told to absolutely avoid such contact. What it actually tells people is that these aren't really strict rules. It confuses people and it's potentially dangerous. 

You can see it by the Sydney Kings forfeiting the NBL Grand Final series (and being slammed for it), down 1-2 in a best of 5 series, rather than flying to Perth for game 4. A responsible and noble example of doing the right thing in difficult circumstances. And they're being smashed for it. It gives an idea of the context that people are still looking at this and misunderstanding the point: that it's not about whether you or I get the virus and how physically well we are to be able to cope with it; it's about whether we pass it on to 2-3 people, or 20-30 people that is the real issue.

Shut the season down, award Sydney the premiership, look at a finals series and final table positions (e.g. it's debatable where we actually should be on the table right now) if and when we have a chance down the track.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, SF33 said:

It's a bit disturbing when we see the AFL bragging about how popular the AFL has been with sports starved fans in the United States (Gillon McLachlan's Krusty the Clown "Think of the ratings..." moment). When we see ScoMo saying there's a few days to go until we shut events down to a maximum of 500 people, so I'll go watch the Sharks on the weekend, because it's my last chance for a while (what would happen if everyone thought the same way as the Prime Minister). When we say A-League and AFL players observing the regulations with fist bumps and elbow bumps at the end of games (presumably because someone on the staff is yelling reminders to them), but they can't help themselves to jump all over each other after a goal, because it's hard to change instinctive behaviours after 15/20/30 years of celebrating that way. 

I'm not blaming the players here, just saying that a) it's unrealistic to expect players to be robots during spur of the moment instances of jubilation; and b) it sends a terrible, confusing message to people and especially kids  watching their heroes hugging each other and sharing drink bottles when we're being told to absolutely avoid such contact. What it actually tells people is that these aren't really strict rules. It confuses people and it's potentially dangerous. 

You can see it by the Sydney Kings forfeiting the NBL Grand Final series (and being slammed for it), down 1-2 in a best of 5 series, rather than flying to Perth for game 4. A responsible and noble example of doing the right thing in difficult circumstances. And they're being smashed for it. It gives an idea of the context that people are still looking at this and misunderstanding the point: that it's not about whether you or I get the virus and how physically well we are to be able to cope with it; it's about whether we pass it on to 2-3 people, or 20-30 people that is the real issue.

Shut the season down, award Sydney the premiership, look at a finals series and final table positions (e.g. it's debatable where we actually should be on the table right now) if and when we have a chance down the track.

Have heard it's not the clubs. They wanted to cancel the season. It's Foxtel pulling the strings. 

I confess that I was one of those who underestimated the magnitude of the threat that this virus poses to humanity around the world, and we can all see that governments and countries who ignore the warning signals - such as the United States, Italy and France - are now in real trouble with every possibility that there are going to be mass infections and many deaths.

It astonishes me that governments, who have all the medical evidence and advice before them, and that includes the Australian government, are still reluctant to take the actions that they know full well are ultimately going to have to be taken. I cannot for the life of me understand this reluctance. "For the life of me" is a phrase very relevant in my case - and for a number of contributors to this Forum - because we are in the demographic that is the most vulnerable to the effects of the virus.

14 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I confess that I was one of those who underestimated the magnitude of the threat that this virus poses to humanity around the world, and we can all see that governments and countries who ignore the warning signals - such as the United States, Italy and France - are now in real trouble with every possibility that there are going to be mass infections and many deaths.

It astonishes me that governments, who have all the medical evidence and advice before them, and that includes the Australian government, are still reluctant to take the actions that they know full well are ultimately going to have to be taken. I cannot for the life of me understand this reluctance. "For the life of me" is a phrase very relevant in my case - and for a number of contributors to this Forum - because we are in the demographic that is the most vulnerable to the effects of the virus.

The reluctance has always been economic. Those big countries US France UK are primarily looking at firstly as an economic decision, but when the reality dawns on them that it is a matter of survival then they act.

The other factor is that you can't actually just lockdown a country, people will panic, (more than we saw last 10 days)  they needed to gradually implement restrictions and with every restriction they announce some measure to protect, but ultimately we are all fucked.

To what degree, time will tell.

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I would like to point out that Italy has the highest % of people over 65 in Europe and in the top 3 world wide. The bulk of the deaths is in this age group. And it was from Italy that the WHO declared a pandemic - because when people in small towns were catching it and they could not explain how the virus got there that the call was made. France is doing OK. Spain is not. Additionally these countries rely on tourism as a big employer thus countries with higher tourism rates have higher infection rates. The USA is an outlier in that they don't have a safety net, they have a congress that rejects science - specially the Republican party and they have a president who tweeted that the virus was a Democrat hoax.

As scientists keep pointing out with this virus is that they don't know whether people can develop immunity if they survive the infection. Thus far the death toll for over 65s is larger than all other age groups, additionally there has to be an underlying illness - the caveat being health workers who look after patients. The economic concern is that this will overwhelm the public health system and the loss of jobs specially in the tourism sector.

I am quite sanguine about the virus - having already been clinically dead it gives you a different perspective.

13 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I would like to point out that Italy has the highest % of people over 65 in Europe and in the top 3 world wide. The bulk of the deaths is in this age group. And it was from Italy that the WHO declared a pandemic - because when people in small towns were catching it and they could not explain how the virus got there that the call was made. France is doing OK. Spain is not. Additionally these countries rely on tourism as a big employer thus countries with higher tourism rates have higher infection rates. The USA is an outlier in that they don't have a safety net, they have a congress that rejects science - specially the Republican party and they have a president who tweeted that the virus was a Democrat hoax.

As scientists keep pointing out with this virus is that they don't know whether people can develop immunity if they survive the infection. Thus far the death toll for over 65s is larger than all other age groups, additionally there has to be an underlying illness - the caveat being health workers who look after patients. The economic concern is that this will overwhelm the public health system and the loss of jobs specially in the tourism sector.

I am quite sanguine about the virus - having already been clinically dead it gives you a different perspective.

America looks like it is about to go to shit. New York has thousands of infections and people still on the streets hanging out ala our bondi moment. Wait until this gets into crowded areas in South America and places like India where lock downs are virtually impossible. The key is ICU's to patients as soon as you get over run the death rate sky rockets and you see scenes like Italy where over 65's are basically left to die. Absolutely tragic scenes hopefully Morrison starts listening to Andrews and Sutton who seem to be the only sensible people in the room in the Premier/ PM meetings.