Melbourne Football

The Australian Open Thread.

Butty

Managed to catch all of Bernard Tomic's game against Verdasco today. Gee he's a talent, and I wouldn't mind going to see his next match.

Tennis isn't really a sport I've ever fully gotten into, I always enjoyed playing it when I was younger, and still enjoy watching it now.

It's good to see the talent gap in Aussie tennis has been bridged, and we've started to see a few youngsters doing well and gaining some success.

On that, Tomic is going to be big, very big. (interpret that as you wish)

He took a long time to win a Grand Slam but when he did he dominated the game for a few years and won 7 Grand Slam Titles however he could not crack Wimbledon.

When he lost the final to Pat Cash (Not the greatest player for sure) he was shattered.

Anyway MIZUNO offered him the Technology to win Wimbledon and walked out on the most expensive sponsorship in Tennis with Adidas to join the Japanese company. In the end all got were some crazy shoes (I have a pair) and the supposed Wimbledon Winning Racquet he was promised was just one that was 25% bigger.

Needless to say he did not win Wimbledon. He won the next Grand Slam here and Australia and never won a Grand Slam again despite hanging around the tour for a fair few years. Also his at the open right now as his Andy Murray's new coach, with all the pressure on Murray as a Brit to win Wimbledon I hope Ivan's Curse is passed down to his pupil.

Edited by cadete

Lol - I wrote that really fast and forget a crucial "NOT"

The point was he never won Wimbeldon...

As far as the Racket and Shoes were concerned they were not the best looking by today's standards but the Rackets still are highly desired to this day such was their quality and the shoes did set some new benchmarks for the Tennis shoes of today.