Melbourne Football

The Coronavirus Thread (We nearly didn't see City in the 2021 Grand Final)

CityWildcat

10 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

I still don't understand why we hired private security to guard the hotels where people were quarantining instead of using the ADF like every other state did?

Just seems bizarre and yet all they have done now is replaced them with flight attendants? It's clear you can't trust the general public, just get the goddamm ADF in!

I don't which fuck up was worst, the ruby princess or this hotel debacle.

The hiring of private security guards is the only thing I will hold against the government. It seems that there are some real dimwits who live under a rock at both the public service and political offices. The FFA had issues with the private security guards, the AFL had issues with the private security guards, go to many venues and you will see issues with security guards. This is unexplainable.

For me the vast majority of people who went to isolate in hotels would not have posed a physical threat. What they needed were nurses and a couple of security guards to ensure compliance from those who would not comply - why not use the same hotel staff? Using flight attendants is not as good as using nurses but they are accustomed to dealing with people in confined spaces. So I am comfortable with that part of it. My only concern is whether the flight attendants will be in semi-isolation as well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

This discussion is long overdue. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-10/coronavirus-victoria-lockdown-suppression-elimination/12440480

I reckon Australia's strategy has been wrong from the start. We're going to go through worse pain the way we are going, always with the cloud of uncertainty hanging over us. 

As long as there are carriers that are asymptomatic we will never get rid of the virus.

On 08/07/2020 at 9:06 PM, kingofhearts said:

I still don't understand why we hired private security to guard the hotels where people were quarantining instead of using the ADF like every other state did?

Just seems bizarre and yet all they have done now is replaced them with flight attendants? It's clear you can't trust the general public, just get the goddamm ADF in!

The hotel debacle. The "Ruby Princess" was a fuck-up but it was early in the piece and we should have learned from it. We were doing everything about right until the hotel debacle.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-11/fuel-spark-victoria-response-virus-public-health-bushfire/12443982

"The state's Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton confirmed all of the strains were different from those found in the first wave: "There is no evidence of any original virus from February, March around currently," Professor Sutton said last Tuesday.

Which means it most likely came from overseas.

Mandatory hotel quarantine is widely accepted to be one of the biggest factors that helped Australia flatten the curve the first time, but now it seems likely that a single failure in that program sparked a wave of cases far bigger than the first."

1 hour ago, Baka1 said:

Mandatory masks from Wednesday 11:59pm... 

Some of the finer points of this are ludicrous. Wearing a mask when driving your own car either by yourself or with members of your own household...

And joggers don't have to but I do when taking an evening walk long after dark through deserted streets...

Interesting that today we had to do some essential ethnic food shopping. Wearing a mask was almost universal in Clayton shopping centre, but coming home through "non-Asian suburbs" was almost nil.

Going to be interesting to see whether that changes on Thursday.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Interesting that today we had to do some essential ethnic food shopping. Wearing a mask was almost universal in Clayton shopping centre, but coming home through "non-Asian suburbs" was almost nil.

Going to be interesting to see whether that changes on Thursday.

Not surprised...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 08/07/2020 at 9:06 PM, kingofhearts said:

I'd rank them as follows (worst first):

1. Aged Care - complete debacle. Commonwealth responsibility. Ranked worst because it's a systemic failure - COV-19 just the latest in a long line of problems.

2. Hotel quarantine in Victoria. Ranked above the "Ruby Princess" because we didn't learn a thing from what had already happened in NSW. No-one, including our Premier, seems to know who was supposed to be doing what.

3. The "Ruby Princess."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

We are going to be suffering the consequences of this for a long time. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-18/victoria-covid-crisis-traced-back-to-seven-travellers-inquiry/12568408

I'm finding it hard to believe the revelations coming out of the aged care and Victorian situations.

With regards to age care I am not - it has always been the same. As for the quarantine debacle it seems that there is plenty of crap to go around. All it says to me is that no government was prepared although they had since December to get ready.

On 07/04/2020 at 10:54 PM, n i k o said:

What's the feeling towards having mandatory vaccine shots for all adults? 

On 08/04/2020 at 8:28 AM, thisphantomfortress said:

I don't like the word mandatory

That time has come:

Mr Morrison told Melbourne radio station 3AW he would "expect it to be as mandatory as you can possibly make it",

But then he retracted his words as seen below. So now it's not mandatory. But good luck getting government incentives or perhaps getting a bank loan, or renewing yoir myki card etc. Beginning of the end is nearing. 

Scomo:

"Nobody's going to force anybody to do anything as a compulsory measure, but we will certainly be encouraging people to take this up," he said.

"There will be a lot of encouragement and measures to get [a] high rate of acceptance.

"What we want to achieve is as much vaccination as we possibly can, should the vaccine actually prove successful

3 hours ago, n i k o said:

That time has come:

Mr Morrison told Melbourne radio station 3AW he would "expect it to be as mandatory as you can possibly make it",

But then he retracted his words as seen below. So now it's not mandatory. But good luck getting government incentives or perhaps getting a bank loan, or renewing yoir myki card etc. Beginning of the end is nearing. 

Scomo:

"Nobody's going to force anybody to do anything as a compulsory measure, but we will certainly be encouraging people to take this up," he said.

"There will be a lot of encouragement and measures to get [a] high rate of acceptance.

"What we want to achieve is as much vaccination as we possibly can, should the vaccine actually prove successful

No thanks to the vaccine. Too rushed and not enough time to understand long term side affects. Those that feel the need to take it" for their safety" then feel free. The rest of the population should not be blackmailed or coherced or peer pressured into taking it!

2 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

No thanks to the vaccine. Too rushed and not enough time to understand long term side affects. Those that feel the need to take it" for their safety" then feel free. The rest of the population should not be blackmailed or coherced or peer pressured into taking it!

You do know that flu vaccines are produced every year as the flu virus mutates quite quickly. And that COVID-19 belongs to the flu family of viruses.

5 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

You do know that flu vaccines are produced every year as the flu virus mutates quite quickly. And that COVID-19 belongs to the flu family of viruses.

So if it's a flu like you say, why not just take the flu shot then? 

It's not just the flu and this vaccine has been rushed through trials. I would consider the "safety" of this vaccine very cautiously. 

6 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

It's not just the flu and this vaccine has been rushed through trials. I would consider the "safety" of this vaccine very cautiously. 

And add to that the number of people that catch the flu and die from it. You'd think that it would make it basically mandatory too.

Something stinks about all this. 

36 minutes ago, n i k o said:

And add to that the number of people that catch the flu and die from it. You'd think that it would make it basically mandatory too.

Something stinks about all this. 

Are you referring to my point of view or the whole "pandemic" and the whole population well at least Melbourne being led to believe the only way back to "normal" being that of a vaccine? 

On 22/08/2020 at 7:19 PM, MHFC-FAN said:

Influenza mutates year to year. So if you were to take a flue shot that was developed in 2012 it would not help you with the influenza of 2019 or 2020. Which is why they ask people to get vaccinated every year. Of course you need to be careful otherwise an unknown reaction could occur however your doctor should be able to advise you.

2 hours ago, haz said:

In my opinion we need to develop 6G technology to fight against 5G.

You are a fool!! Do not believe the false claims about 6G, 6 is one of the numbers of the beast and the Cabal are spreading false information about 6G being able to combat 5G so that they can implement their sinister plans even quicker.

What we really need to fight 5G and 6G is 7G!!

• Like 1

My understanding is that the flu shot is recommended only for certain groups of people? Particularly the elderly and people with compromised immune systems? I am in that age demographic, but because all my life I have had a severe reaction to vaccinations my GP has recommended that I do not have the flu shot annually.

I don't really think that influenza is in the same category as COV-19 when it comes to impact on our way of life, so if I am satisfied that a vaccine on offer will offer me some protection I will will have it. Not everyone will wish to do so, and IMO it's a matter of personal choice. 

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

My understanding is that the flu shot is recommended only for certain groups of people? Particularly the elderly and people with compromised immune systems? I am in that age demographic, but because all my life I have had a severe reaction to vaccinations my GP has recommended that I do not have the flu shot annually.

I don't really think that influenza is in the same category as COV-19 when it comes to impact on our way of life, so if I am satisfied that a vaccine on offer will offer me some protection I will will have it. Not everyone will wish to do so, and IMO it's a matter of personal choice. 

Right now that will depend on whether COVID-19 behaves more like smallpox or more like a standard influenza. If the latter then I see it as personal choice; if the former, I see it as mandatory.

20 hours ago, jw1739 said:

This is exactly right! What people hate is having things forced on them, especially a vaccine. It should be down to who wants it and who doesn't and there shouldn't be any restrictions on people that don't have it. Blackmail at it's finest with the threats coming out in regards to people that don't want to have it... 

On 24/08/2020 at 12:01 PM, malloy said:

You are a fool!! Do not believe the false claims about 6G, 6 is one of the numbers of the beast and the Cabal are spreading false information about 6G being able to combat 5G so that they can implement their sinister plans even quicker.

What we really need to fight 5G and 6G is 7G!!

The only G able to save us is Warren G. 

Reading between the lines of some of the lyrics of "Regulate" gives you the answers you seek

I'm tweakin' into a whole new era
G-funk, step to this, I dare ya
Funk on a whole new level
The rhythm is the bass and the bass is the treble

Whole new era refers to the pandemic, Warren was "tweakin" as he believed this to an undesirable situation to be involved in

Stepping to G-funk is regarding the Karens of the World refusing to adhere to the new laws

Funk on a whole new level refers to the mandatory wearing of masks

The mention of the Bass refers to the rumblings in the tunnels under Melbourne as the Cabal enacts their plans

Warren saw this coming, we should've listened.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

What an absolute fucking shambles our governments are over these 17 passengers from NZ. All the hard yards we've done could be undone by the total incompetence of the Feds, the ABF, the Victorian government, airlines - the whole fucking lot of them. What do we pay these deadshits to do? What's the State of Emergency for if we can't stop them? Yet I can't go more than 5km from my home, can't  go beyond metro Melbourne into Regional Victoria, can't legally put the bins out if I don't wear a mask.

Any credibility they had before this has now gone. Fuck the lot of them.

• 1 month later...

Haven't ranted for a while, so....

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-15/golden-week-china-600m-tourists-travel-but-no-covid19-outbreak/12758924

"Some 637 million Chinese tourists travelled for Golden Week this year, injecting 466.6 billion Chinese yuan (about $96.4 billion) into the economy, according to the Chinese Ministry of Culture and Tourism."

What a successful clown show the Chinese commies are running. Here we are having a collective fkn aneurysm over someone farting in Adelaide, meanwhile 25 times our population went on a holiday around China last week.

Its pretty simple. Either China has a cure and should be punished for deliberately starting a bio-war which has killed 1.3 million people so far and destroyed the world economy... OR... the whole thing is a total beat up and the western world is full Alex Jones NWO lizard illuminati. Case and point being the MSM... they were shitting all over the (pre-screened) Trump rally's the week before the election... Biden wins, the headlines read "America.. its time for a block party". They even showed footage of people in crowds sharing bottles of champagne on the streets!!!

Is society really that fkn dumb now???

34 minutes ago, HeartFc said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-15/golden-week-china-600m-tourists-travel-but-no-covid19-outbreak/12758924

"Some 637 million Chinese tourists travelled for Golden Week this year, injecting 466.6 billion Chinese yuan (about $96.4 billion) into the economy, according to the Chinese Ministry of Culture and Tourism."

What a successful clown show the Chinese commies are running. Here we are having a collective fkn aneurysm over someone farting in Adelaide, meanwhile 25 times our population went on a holiday around China last week.

Its pretty simple. Either China has a cure and should be punished for deliberately starting a bio-war which has killed 1.3 million people so far and destroyed the world economy... OR... the whole thing is a total beat up and the western world is full Alex Jones NWO lizard illuminati. Case and point being the MSM... they were shitting all over the (pre-screened) Trump rally's the week before the election... Biden wins, the headlines read "America.. its time for a block party". They even showed footage of people in crowds sharing bottles of champagne on the streets!!!

Research so far is not able to pinpoint where COV-19 actually originated, and indeed we may never know the identity of "patient zero." It was first identified in Wuhan, but that does not mean it started there, and it may well have originated elsewhere and at an undetermined time before that. Viruses are everywhere and a new one jumping the gap between animals and into humans may take quite a long time before it is identified and the illnesses and deaths from it can be pinpointed back to a specific source. A good example is HIV - evidence suggests that it may have been around since the 1920s but not identified as such.

1 hour ago, HeartFc said:

Or, the third and most likely possibility, that chain surpassed local transmission trough draconian lockdown measures that wouldn't be tolerated elsewhere, along with successful track and trace efforts

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

Or, the third and most likely possibility, that chain surpassed local transmission trough draconian lockdown measures that wouldn't be tolerated elsewhere, along with successful track and trace efforts

Likely correct. See 'Chinese methods of eradicating COVID'

Canadian facing execution in China will appeal his death sentence, lawyer  confirms - ABC News

• Like 1

5 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Just remember that it's the western media that uses the word "draconian" and says - without describing the measures - that they would not be tolerated elsewhere. Some people would make the same comments about what we have done here in Victoria. And faced with a population the size of China's, what else could they have done to be successful? You cut your coat according to your cloth.

There's no evidence produced that the Chinese themselves did not support was done.

Neither is there any mention of other things - having field hospitals ready to go, combining samples for testing, etc. etc. FMD, two states in Australia can't organise effective quarantine, we have no dedicated infectious diseases hospitals, and can't even supply proper PPE to our frontline medical personnel. And some of our senior bureaucrats and officials appear to have been manifestly disinterested in what they were supposed and paid to be doing, have defective memories, and can't give a yes or a no answer to the simplest questions.

We're not playing the same game here as is China.

China and other Asian countries had prior experience with both the SARS and MERS pandemics. They learned from their equally poor responses to those pandemics and were well organised with good public health infrastructure. Cambodia, for instance, has had no deaths despite a poor health system because they've had more contact tracers than Victoia has today. Track and trace has been organised from the bottom up, very efficient and effective. Asian responses during the original SARS pandemic were as shambolic as ours.

Victoria, OTOH, closed it world standard infectious diseases hospital a generation ago and destroyed the old Health Department, replacing managers with health training and expertise with generic managers with no health training. Doctors, seen as an expense (because they kept asking for expensive things like an infectious disease hospital and a modern contact tracing system, were 'managed' out of the Department, or marginalised into positions where they could have limited influence (ie Brett Sutton was only a third tier manager with no direct reporting responsibility too the Minister) 

The Health Minister was a lawyer, her senior public servants were lawyers or B. Ec or MBAs. What they didn't have in-house expertise, they outsourced to favoured medical consultants who told them what they wanted to hear, hence our response to the pandemic. They did work to the best of their ability but it never occurred to senior managers to speak to medical experts about quarantine, from their understanding it was a logistics exercise. They didn't understand why 12 contact tracers with one telephone line and a fax machine and a pen and paper track and trace system was going to be hopelessly inadequate. They didn't bother to ask, nobody had, literally for a generation (since the Kennett era). Victoria has bucked the national trend 10 years ago when other States decided to decentralise health management to health districts organised around community care. Victoria centralised all management in Collins Street and based the health system around hospital networks. Victoria has better hospitals, other states have better community care and a much more nimble health management that can quickly respond to local problems. We'll do much better from now on I hope.

It's good to see that we have learned from this avoidable disaster. The new health minister trained as a social worker, the new head of DHHS is an obstetrician. Imagine running Treasury where neither the Minister nor all his senior bureaucrats had any economic training? This is how health has been run since the Kennett era.

• Like 4

I also believe that it shows up how fragile, inefficient, outdated - probably other adjectives too that I can't bring to mind at the moment - our federal/state interactions are. A Prime Minister increasingly irrelevant in the whole thing, denial (aged care), incompetence (using Google Translate to give important messages to those in our community who do not have a complete mastery of English) and so on.

Right throughout I think the thing that gets me the most is this prevalent attitude of defence, defiance and denial within governments and the public service.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2