Melbourne Football

Matchday 23: v WSW - Saturday 14th March 7.30pm at AAMI Park

Harrison

A couple of changes for this one. Another must-win game against an inconsistent yet still pretty potent team. 

We've finally had consistency with our starting XI but frustratingly that will have to change after Griffiths and Luna picked up their 5th yellow card. Atkinson, Susaeta, Berenguer and I think Maclaren also had what looked to be cramp after a huge effort in trying conditions, so they should all be right even with a six-day turnaround with travel. 

I think the changes are pretty straightforward. Delbridge gets to play in his preferred position and Metcalfe gets back into the XI, probably ahead of Genreau, unless Mombaerts wants to try Susaeta in the middle again and bring in Wales on the wing instead. I'm hoping he keeps it simple and just makes the two swaps.

Glover

Atkinson Delbridge Good Jamieson

Metcalfe Brillante Berenguer

Susaeta Maclaren Noone

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

id prefer Genreau for Luna but I think the coach prefers Metcalfe.

It might end up being neither of the two IMO.

Luna's biggest contribution to the side is his tireless pressing when we're out of possession, Metcalfe and Genreau don't necessarily offer that. I wouldn't be surprised to see Wales deployed in that role.

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Berenguer looked cooked in the 2nd half, more than usual, he even may have been injured. Very doubtful,  but the rest as above for me.

I think if it is was a hamstring they would’ve taken him off whereas cramp can be played through. 

27 minutes ago, Embee said:

Luna's biggest contribution to the side is his tireless pressing when we're out of possession, Metcalfe and Genreau don't necessarily offer that. I wouldn't be surprised to see Wales deployed in that role.

Could happen. Wales has actually played centrally this season back in Round 2 but Mombaerts hasn’t used him there again. It’s the closest like for like.

I think both Metcalfe and Genreau are decent on the defensive side, just not as quick or explosive as Wales. But it’s the creativity that I worry about with Wales centrally.

Might be too risky trying him there when he’s not used to it. 

• Like 1

Really looking forward to this....we have never been this high in the table at this stage of the season.  WSW are the only team to have beaten their neighbours this season, TWICE, remember.  Always a danger....but we beat them in :Parramatta so we can certainly do it here ....  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Embee said:

Given he can’t pass I’d be horrified

36 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Given he can’t pass I’d be horrified

Same, but he did play Delbribge as a striker. So anything is possible, but playing Wales as a Luna replacement from my ignorant eyes is just unexplainable. 

It will show alot about Warmfarts in who starts in the middle. 

• Like 1

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Tom GLOVER (gk), 2.Scott GALLOWAY, 3.Scott JAMIESON, 4.Harrison DELBRIDGE, 6.Josh BRILLANTE, 9.Jamie MACLAREN, 10.Florin BERENGUER 11.Craig NOONE, 13.Nathaniel ATKINSON, 14.Markel SUSAETA, 17.Denis GENREAU, 19.Lachlan WALES, 20.Adrian LUNA, 21.Ramy NAJJARINE, 22.Curtis GOOD, 23.Dean BOUZANIS (gk), 30.Moudi NAJJAR, 36.Kerrin STOKES, 34.Connor METCALFE, 39.Idrus ABDULAHI 49.Stefan COLAKOVSKI

**2 to be omitted**

Ins: 21.Ramy NAJJARINE (promoted), 36.Kerrin STOKES (promoted), 39.Idrus ADBULAHI (promoted), 49.Stefan COLAKOVSKI (promoted)

Outs: 7.Rostyn GRIFFITHS (suspended - 1 week), 20.Adrian LUNA (suspended - 1 week)

Unavailable: 5.Jack HENDRY (knee), 40.Richard WINDBICHLER (hamstring)

2 hours ago, mus-28 said:

Can Delbo concede another penalty and get another red card? I can see him scything down Yeboah or Duke after they've slipped through the offside trap. 

I genuinely hope he does, that would be a record that could stand for many years. 

• Haha 1

FFA statement regarding COVID-19 impacts of football competitions including Hyundai A-League and Westfield W-League matches this weekend

In relation to the Leagues, FFA can advise that this weekend’s Round 23 matches for the Hyundai A-League and the Semi Finals of the Westfield W-League will all proceed as scheduled. However, in consultation with Clubs, we will have agreed mitigation protocols to be in place for all matches.

At this stage there remains no restrictions around Football events, however we are conscious to ensure a safe working environment for our players, match officials, staff and volunteers. Additionally, we are also working with stadia to optimise sanitation protocols for fans to ensure their safety.

“We are currently taking advice from the Government Authorities and our Chief Medical Officer in relation to managing COVID-19 (Novel coronavirus), and we have also been working with our venues to provide increased levels of hygiene practices and access to all our valued fans and other stakeholders at all matches this weekend.” said FFA Head of Leagues, Greg O’Rourke.

“In collaboration with Clubs and our key stakeholders, we are also ensuring our plans are scalable should the situation escalate further. This may involve playing matches behind closed doors in the future but again this will be based on Government advice.

https://www.a-league.com.au/news/ffa-statement-regarding-covid-19-impacts-football-competitions-including-hyundai-a-league-and

1 hour ago, HughJass said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rugby.com.au/News/2020/03/11/Super-Rugby-Rebels-AAMI-park-corona-virus%3famp=1

looks like its getting closed for 3 weeks for cleaning on Monday....

Something we ought to learn in Australia is hygiene/ cleanliness in public places. For example, our PT is filthy compared with a place like Hong Kong where trains, hand rails etc. are cleaned from top to bottom every night. Washing my hands with soap and water is the first thing I do after returning home from anywhere, and I've been doing it for many years now..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Since the govt is banning all nonessential public events over 500 people from Monday, Saturday will be our last match with a crowd for quite some while. 

All but one of the "gang" that I sit with have confirmed that they won't be attending the match anyway. I don't like staying away, but considering my age it is probably the sensible thing to do.

What a shame that quite probably our best season ever and we're not going to be able to be there to take part in the final few matches. It's almost as if someone has put a curse on the club. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Being a fan of this club since inception and watching many games all I can say for this one is that we are no chance.

0%, Nada, zilch, zero, not a chance in hell, nope

Shut the thread, we never play well against WSW this will be a loss.

In our last five matches against WSW at AAMI we’ve had four wins and one draw. 

So we actually do play well against them. We also beat them away earlier this season. 

I hate, absolutely hate giving in to propaganda. But a large bunch of my group aren't going to game and therefore because of their concerns and to keep the peace I'm not going tomorrow either. In saying that it seems to be heading toward being very serious so maybe for the best.