Melbourne Football

Domestic Politics

cadete

And of course resolving the boat PPL problem all those years after Rudd decided to throw away the Working Solution.

hahaha Then please explain why the ALP have pretty much returned to the Solution in operation before they came into power? Edited by cadete

And of course resolving the boat PPL problem all those years after Rudd decided to throw away the Working Solution.

hahaha Then please explain why the ALP have pretty much returned to the Solution in operation before they came into power?

Populism.

Sadly all too late...

Not until the end of last year you guys still could have picked a lesser known Candidate and appeared to respond to the Public a little bit more and could have been neck and neck come election time.

Someone from a lesser state like West Australia like Smith would have been perfect - Could have even had Abbott on the run.

hahahaThen please explain why the ALP have pretty much returned to the Solution in operation before they came into power? Populism. Sadly all too late...

Not until the end of last year you guys still could have picked a lesser known Candidate and appeared to respond to the Public a little bit more and could have been neck and neck come election time.

Someone from a lesser state like West Australia like Smith would have been perfect - Could have even had Abbott on the run. Many lessons need to be learned from this shambolic period for my side of politics, least of which is election strategy. Huge problems in the structure of the party and the abandonment of core aims, Labor values etc have been highlighted and accentuated by the current crisis of Vox populi.

We need to fix what is broken and find what we have lost before we start worrying about who might hold the numerals in the majors and deliver a mandate to govern.

A hard time for the party and it will be getting a lot harder in next few years but one thing you have to remember about US is, that we are a party that was forged in fires of colonial adversity and has survived every major crisis in Australian history over the last 120 years. We'll be back. While the Tree of Knowledge still bears fruit, We always will. The light on the hill still burns brightly, the party leadership just needs to once again let it illuminate the path.

The night is darkest before the dawn.

Solidarity.

Edited by Braveheart

brb, hiring Wayne Swan to do my tax returns after he is bungled out of parliament, he made $17bn disappear from the government's income so easily, I'm sure he could do something for my taxable income :up:

• Like 3

brb, hiring Wayne Swan to do my tax returns after he is bungled out of parliament, he made $17bn disappear from the government's income so easily, I'm sure he could do something for my taxable income :up:

ALP Government to hire Bart Simpson to handle Debt Issues...

3rgqq3.jpg

• Like 4

He really doesn't. I think they're waiting for an Abbot stuff up, but his minders have gone out of the way to keep him to limited appearances as to avoid this methinks

Surely taking piss. Is on commercial news every night promising funding for that, digging holes (in both senses) and giving the thumps up. It is plain to see who is favoured by the media and as this is the first election ill actually follow, is it common as I think it is for the media in general to favour a politician?

So how about this new Tax I mean Levy for the Handicapped that we should vote for?

Does this seem familiar to anybody else?

lessimpsondans30ans.jpg

I wonder if was Julia or Milhouse Swan who came up with one?

That we all need to spend more – Purely to help the sick and not for the sake of filling the Government’s Great Big Giant Hole.

Maybe it’s because this new Tax will only bring in $3.5 Billion a year for something that is going to cost $10.5 Billion a year.

Or probably  it is simply a case of us seeing the Gillard government waste money and time (Which costs money) on things like:

The Carbon Tax,

Rolling out The NBN,

Be more critical of Abbott's spending on paid parental leave scheme without levy or direct revenue raising plz.

Edited by Che

Victorian government has to be given an award for their trolling ability.

Announces construction will begin on removing 5 level crossings and planning for 2 others, it will cost upwards of $500mil, allocates $52mil to it.

Announces construction of $8bn road, allocates $294mil to it.

• Like 1

Rofl. Labor gonna labor. 19.4b deficit forecasted. so much for the 1.1b surplus they were promising.

Experts are saying that the worst the ALP can now aim for is at least two terms of the Coalition Federal Government such is the amount of seats that are marked down as now lost...

Edited by cadete

Rofl. Labor gonna labor. 19.4b deficit forecasted. so much for the 1.1b surplus they were promising.

Scare tactics aside, With the state of the wider global economy I would say that is a very modest amount of debt to be faced with considering and so would your boy Johnny H http://www.theadviser.com.au/breaking-news/8673-pm-praises-strong-economy  :up:

With the doom and gloom bullshit being pushed around at the moment personally I'm glad Gonski and the NDIS got through and the Populists didn't lose their last shred of conviction and jetisson two really crucial pieces of traditional Labor policy to try and cultivate votes on the blue side of the divide with a genuine attempt at a return to surplus at this early juncture. 

Perhaps, this is the first sign of genuine pragmatism about the impending landslide and shows a dogged attempt to insulate against the inevitable Tory slash and burn that will ensue shortly thereafter.

Edited by Braveheart
  • Like 1

The deficit isn't the problem, even last budget I was on here saying Labor were pushing for a surplus too fast and my preference would have been for a deficit, the issue is they aimed for a $1bn surplus and got a $19bn deficit. Says it all really.

Disregarding that, the budget is still shit. Labor gon labor.

Highlight was the $3bn for Melbourne Metro tunnel, not that it would actually happen because the Victorian government won't put up any money for it.

Fold both Labor and Liberal partys TBH.

Edited by Tesla

The deficit isn't the problem, even last budget I was on here saying Labor were pushing for a surplus too fast and my preference would have been for a deficit, the issue is they aimed for a $1bn surplus and got a $19bn deficit. Says it all really.

Yeah, how dare they make pragmatic fiscal adjustments to suit economic climates. How dare they not do the impossible and irresponsible. What poor and reckless governance.

Enjoy Austerity over the coming years chaps :up:

Edited by Che

Yeah, how dare they make pragmatic fiscal adjustments to suit economic climates. How dare they not do the impossible and irresponsible. What poor and reckless governance.

What pragmatic fiscal adjustments to suit the economic climate? A fiscal policy to suit the economic climate would be one with a deficit equal to the cyclical deficit or an even greater deficit than the cyclical one, they've gone for a deficit lower than the cyclical one (by cutting spending and increasing tax), because they didn't want it to blow out too much after promising a surplus.

• Like 1

What pragmatic fiscal adjustments to suit the economic climate? A fiscal policy to suit the economic climate would be one with a deficit equal to the cyclical deficit or an even greater deficit than the cyclical one, they've gone for a deficit lower than the cyclical one (by cutting spending and increasing tax), because they didn't want it to blow out too much after promising a surplus.

Fair point. I went through the budget properly today, very bizzarre. Using contractionary fiscal policy like cutting spending during cyclical downturn is beyond me and my economic understanding. 

Fair point. I went through the budget properly today, very bizzarre. Using contractionary fiscal policy like cutting spending during cyclical downturn is beyond me and my economic understanding.

Most likely just for political reasons, but if I had to defend it I'd say they are trying to not lose the AAA credit rating, or devalue the currency (though they keep complaining about the currency being high so I doubt it) or create inflation, or 'crowd out' the private sector, etc.

Going off topic to a different subject. Picked up on an independent bloc, Pirate Party Australia, where their policies is focused on copyright reform, internet freedom and ending censorship and the party itself was established in Sweden.

Sounds interesting and my interpretation of it has me thinking whether it is too good to be true but I'll be reading into it more in the future and perhaps someone here could fill in their criticism of this party if they have any knowledge about them, their policies and how their beliefs would conflict heavily on any of the main groups in the parliament :up:

Edited by Young Polak

• 2 weeks later...

Should've thrown a brick at her You're a fucken idiot :up:

you're right. We wouldn't want to give her the opportunity to win some sympathy votes. Best save the brick till she is out of office She could die and her approval rating would still be ratshit.

Don't care who it is: Howard, Rudd, Abbott etc. The distinct lack of respect for the office of PM is fucking disgusting in this country and has been progressively getting worse over the last generation.

I would deplore anybody to show such blatant contempt for the office regardless of their political leaning.

• Like 1