Melbourne Football

Domestic Politics

cadete

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

Lol.

their staff can write well, I'll give them that, but neutral? No way. They seem to be a greens mouth piece. 

Maybe I should clarify that Im only referring to their news articles, I dont really bother reading the opinion pieces (except Clementine Ford)

26 minutes ago, hedaik said:

Maybe I should clarify that Im only referring to their news articles, I dont really bother reading the opinion pieces (except Clementine Ford)

Are you serious?

That's my whole point about The Age being a cocoon for those who subscribe to Identity Politics.

Personally think it will be a good thing for the government. May mean less pressure on Turnbull from the right of the party meaning they can appeal to more moderates. The biggest loser from this will be Pauline Hanson and One Nation as this will just divide up their voter base amongst the two parties.

This may well be the last chance of the Liberal Party to govern in their own right again. If they don't start reflecting the values of their base they will not be able to win elections. The party membership is small these days and ageing. They cannot afford to lose many supporters to the other right wing groups. One Nation, LDP. With Cory going it gives a viable option for those who are conservative but not attracted to Hansonism.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deeming said:

This may well be the last chance of the Liberal Party to govern in their own right again. If they don't start reflecting the values of their base they will not be able to win elections. The party membership is small these days and ageing. They cannot afford to lose many supporters to the other right wing groups. One Nation, LDP. With Cory going it gives a viable option for those who are conservative but not attracted to Hansonism.

I can't recall a federal government where the Liberal party did not govern in a coalition with the National/Country party.

2 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

I can't recall a federal government where the Liberal party did not govern in a coalition with the National/Country party.

I mean they will have to go into Coalition with One Nation (already being talked about in Queensland) or the new Bernardi group or Shooters and Fishers etc

7 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Just a lot of noise for a while. That will dog the government. Come election time he will lose because he lacks the charisma and common touch of Hanson. Wouldn't be surprised if he did join ON.

His term goes to 2022, and you will find his personal support is massive, that's why he was able to secure the #1 spot on the SA senate ticket.

1 minute ago, Deeming said:

I mean they will have to go into Coalition with One Nation (already being talked about in Queensland) or the new Bernardi group or Shooters and Fishers etc

His term goes to 2022, and you will find his personal support is massive, that's why he was able to secure the #1 spot on the SA senate ticket.

Didn't realise that he was going to be there until 2022. However securing a spot on the senate ticket is a function of securing the vote of party delegates not the whole state. Yes he may have a massive base inside teh Liberal party but whether this translates to votes across the whole population remains untested. FWIW ALP/Lib/Nats political parties normally assume that a politician's personal vote is about 2%. In teh past there have been politicians that do win on their personal votes - Brian Harradine, Don Chipp, Hanson (now). That is why I think that if he went alone in a half senate election he won't get up.

2 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

Personally think it will be a good thing for the government. May mean less pressure on Turnbull from the right of the party meaning they can appeal to more moderates. The biggest loser from this will be Pauline Hanson and One Nation as this will just divide up their voter base amongst the two parties.

This is how they got into trouble in the first place. Appealing to these 'moderates' who they imagine will all of a sudden stop voting Green or Labor. It doesn't happen. Although they might like Turnbull more than Abbott types - they aren't changing their vote. Instead the previous base of the Liberal Party has started drifting to other parties.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, marn11 said:

Again with these shit questions like every other political compass: 

"I think that the difference between high and low incomes should be smaller"

Who the fuck doesnt think that, the real question is "I think that the difference between high and low incomes should be smaller even if it decreases income for everyone overall"

Edit: Ambitious Saver but pretty much tied with Progressive Cosmopolitan (lol what)

BACNL2E.png

Edited by Tesla

5 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Who the fuck doesnt think that, the real question is "I think that the difference between high and low incomes should be smaller even if it decreases income for everyone overall"

Edit: Ambitious Saver but pretty much tied with Cosmopolitan Progressive (lol what)

Equality of income distrubution is a non issue for me. 

Same, except Ambitious Saver by a decent margin.

3 minutes ago, marn11 said:

Equality of income distrubution is a non issue for me. 

I meant the question is framed in a way to make people give a more left wing answer, probably because these quizzes are always made by someone from the left. 

Edited by Tesla

12 minutes ago, Tesla said:

I meant the question is framed in a way to make people give a more left wing answer, probably because these quizzes are always made by someone from the left. 

Written by ANU and the age...

i was talking to @Embee today about how leftist retardation surrounding trump has pushed me more to the right. Wouldn't vote Bernardi though, too many religious undertones

• Like 2

Just now, thisphantomfortress said:

i was talking to @Embee today about how leftist retardation surrounding trump has pushed me more to the right. Wouldn't vote Bernardi though, too many religious undertones

Leftist retardation will make people do crazy things.

2 hours ago, marn11 said:

Yeah I think this is a pretty poor quiz tbh, very biased wording of questions and these labels are weird as fuck. Got equal for activist egalitarian and progressive cosmopolitan so basically just confirming the fact I'm an annoying lefty fuckwit. My third highest was dissolutioned pessimist which makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever as I take a fairly keen interest in politics and am usually rather positive.

2 hours ago, Tesla said:

Edit: Ambitious Saver but pretty much tied with Progressive Cosmopolitan (lol what)

BACNL2E.png

Yeah I think progressive cosmopolitan is what you get for giving fairly libertarian answers for some reason as I retook it a few times with different answers just to see what each leads to. 

39 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Yeah I think progressive cosmopolitan is what you get for giving fairly libertarian answers for some reason as I retook it a few times with different answers just to see what each leads to. 

Well it does basically say you care about social issue but not so much income equality, so yeah it is along those lines.

8 hours ago, Tesla said:

This would be the second time that you raise this, the first time being prior to the election. You are in denial - secretly inside you are half leftist but can't come to terms with it :)

On a more serious note I have noticed over the last 12 months that some people claim anyone who disagrees with them must be a leftist, thus in the Financial Times/The Economist comments section you see heaps of people claiming that these organs of capitalism are nothing but left wing rags.

Finally, your claim that Trump has surrounded himself with leftists - hmm. I don't think that either Trump or any of the people around him have a political orientation (hence he went from being a Democrat to a Republican). They look at things from whats in it for me and how do I feel about it today.

FWIW fringe elements of the Conservative Australian Electorate has explored these Right Wing Options with things like One Nation or even the PUP before... almost every time the media writes about the scary popularity of these parties/independents only for them to fall as hard as they originally rose.

Personally I think this is because these Political Options usually do a pretty good job of revealing to the electorate of their incompetence over a few years. Alongside this I think the PPL who vote for such parties will often return to the Coalition if they know an election is going to be a tight contest... the last Federal Election was a Government in its First Term Election and thus was not predicted to be as close as it ended up being for the Coalition. 

Edited by cadete

22 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

22 hours ago, Tesla said:

Leftist retardation will make people do crazy things.

6 hours ago, Tesla said:

When did I claim that?

My error - misread the post.

On 06/02/2017 at 8:44 PM, marn11 said:

Speaking of people's different political opinions, how many people actually live by their political beliefs?

I dont see many of these hard core right wing cunts going around killing muslims or black people or whatever. I dont see many extreme left wing cunts giving away most their income to the less fortunate.

If you arent willing to live by your beliefs, why should anyone else give a fuck about what you think?

Talk is cheap.

3 hours ago, Tesla said:

Speaking of people's different political opinions, how many people actually live by their political beliefs?

I dont see many of these hard core right wing cunts going around killing muslims or black people or whatever. I dont see many extreme left wing cunts giving away most their income to the less fortunate.

If you arent willing to live by your beliefs, why should anyone else give a fuck about what you think?

Talk is cheap.

That applies to everything: religious beliefs, CFG, this forum, etc.

5 hours ago, Tesla said:

Talk is cheap.

I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment... however unfortunately the Extreme Left (Those past being ALP voters) have not cared about the Working Class for a long time anyway unless they can be discussed by Race, Sexuality or Gender.

If anything they see the Working Class as the enemy who votes in their opponents.

6 hours ago, Tesla said:

Talk is cheap.

Tbh I probably embody more traditional leftist views in my day to day life than most lefties. But I suppose this is why I lean libertarian, people should choose what and how they live without a political elite forcing rules upon them.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Tbh I probably embody more traditional leftist views in my day to day life than most lefties. But I suppose this is why I lean libertarian, people should choose what and how they live without a political elite forcing rules upon them.

Do you mean like how PPL decide to go Dumpster Diving after they see it into a Eco Drama Film?

Edited by cadete

5 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Dont see how I could live a more Libertarian lifestyle myself, but then again I suppose living a Libertarian lifestyle is easy as fuck since you're achieving it just by doing whatever the fuck you want and allowing others to do the same.