Melbourne Football

Domestic Politics

cadete

9 hours ago, HeartFc said:

I dont understand the suggestion of a date change of Australia day? Does it change the past? Will the left celebrate and say their work is done.... or will they push for something else? Changing the flag? The anthem? Perhaps a vegan aboriginal muslim pansexual gender fluid prime minister will be next?

This is simply the aussie version of removing the confederate statues in the US . Erasing the past or at least a reminder of the past and its connection to western civilisation, be it good or bad. If its based on "the racist past" why aren't the left up in arms about Former Democratic Senator, West Virginian Robert Byrd who was a KKK member for over a decade? Plenty of streets and buildings named after him in West Virginia... Hilary seemed to love him too... Strange huh?

Its pretty easy to understand they want to change the date.  In fact it was only declared on the 26th and wasn't even used nationally until mid 20th c. If you think about it rationally it makes complete sense to change the date to a date that is suitable for all sides of Australian history rather than picking a date that is obviously antagonistic to a particular group of Australians. 

Edited by Dylan

The only place in Australia where people really get into Australia Day is Perth... Where it's Evolved it's the City's biggest Booze Fest.

I think it's cos the feel fair away from the rest of the Country but it's like NYE to them but arguably better.

Therefore knowing how upset the racist Sandgroppers would get with the Eastern Staters fucking over their Big Day... I am all for it.

39 minutes ago, cadete said:

The only place in Australia where people really get into Australia Day is Perth... Where it's Evolved it's the City's biggest Booze Fest.

I think it's cos the feel fair away from the rest of the Country but it's like NYE to them but arguably better.

Therefore knowing how upset the racist Sandgroppers would get with the Eastern Staters fucking over their Big Day... I am all for it.

I think you will find it is more likely to be everywhere, but Melbourne and Sydney.

11 hours ago, HeartFc said:

I dont understand the suggestion of a date change of Australia day? Does it change the past? Will the left celebrate and say their work is done.... or will they push for something else? Changing the flag? The anthem? Perhaps a vegan aboriginal muslim pansexual gender fluid prime minister will be next?

This is simply the aussie version of removing the confederate statues in the US . Erasing the past or at least a reminder of the past and its connection to western civilisation, be it good or bad. If its based on "the racist past" why aren't the left up in arms about Former Democratic Senator, West Virginian Robert Byrd who was a KKK member for over a decade? Plenty of streets and buildings named after him in West Virginia... Hilary seemed to love him too... Strange huh?

Quite so. Removing monuments or changing dates doesn't make a jot of difference to what actually happened in the past. "Erasing" the past by removing reference to it is extremely dangerous, because it erases what we need to learn from in order to create a better future. And it's now and the future that we should be concentrating on.

24 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Interesting that the ALP want to ban foreign donations for the plebicite, maybe we should ban foreign political donations outright, including to orgnisations like GetUp :hmm:

I've never understood the big deal with foreign donations. Are we saying its wrong for foreign companies and people to donate because their donation may influence the politician but its okay for Australian companies and people to donate because their donations don't influence the politician? 

58 minutes ago, Deeming said:

I've never understood the big deal with foreign donations. Are we saying its wrong for foreign companies and people to donate because their donation may influence the politician but its okay for Australian companies and people to donate because their donations don't influence the politician? 

I think they're fine as long as they're disclosed, again including organisations like GetUp

• Like 1

Seriously wtf is these tobacco tax increases, it's discriminatory af against my Balkan culture. If aboriginals sat around smoking instead of the other vices they prefer there would be endless protests from the left over this shit. I thought this was an inclusive society, but how the fuck is anyone meant to afford to smoke 3 packs a day with all these price increases. Time to call the Human Rights Commission.

4 hours ago, Tesla said:

Seriously wtf is these tobacco tax increases, it's discriminatory af against my Balkan culture. If aboriginals sat around smoking instead of the other vices they prefer there would be endless protests from the left over this shit. I thought this was an inclusive society, but how the fuck is anyone meant to afford to smoke 3 packs a day with all these price increases. Time to call the Human Rights Commission.

The new Victorian Laws in regards to not smoking outside Bars and Cafes is worse than the increase IMO... I was proud that we did not have those dumb laws and would even use it as an example of why Melbourne is more progressive than the rest of Australia to PPL from Overseas. 

At least you are not a chain smoker with a chain smoker wife - Buying a Puke Colored Pack of 40 Rothman Blues for $40 everyday to share is a pretty depressing part of our lives.

Edited by cadete

6 hours ago, cadete said:

The new Victorian Laws in regards to not smoking outside Bars and Cafes is worse than the increase IMO... I was proud that we did not have those dumb laws and would even use it as an example of why Melbourne is more progressive than the rest of Australia to PPL from Overseas. 

At least you are not a chain smoker with a chain smoker wife - Buying a Puke Colored Pack of 40 Rothman Blues for $40 everyday to share is a pretty depressing part of our lives.

Fwiw I've become a 1+ packet a day chain smoker here but I honestly don't know how anyone can do that in Australia since you can't smoke anywhere. You can even smoke in hotel rooms.

19 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Fwiw I've become a 1+ packet a day chain smoker here but I honestly don't know how anyone can do that in Australia since you can't smoke anywhere. You can even smoke in hotel rooms.

We have a Balcony... And smoke in my car.

TBH if I didn't have the Wife for company all the time on the balcony I probably be able to quit.

11 hours ago, Tesla said:

You don't know many actual aboriginals do you? Smoke like bloody chimneys.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/samesex-marriage-yes-no-campaigners-clash-outside-church/news-story/8e9c1f3ef7dad09b13965897d697a834

FFS it did not even take a day for the "Yes" campaigners to start using bullying tactics as they try their hardest to isolate themselves as much as possible from the average person to try lose this election.

9 minutes ago, cadete said:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/samesex-marriage-yes-no-campaigners-clash-outside-church/news-story/8e9c1f3ef7dad09b13965897d697a834

FFS it did not even take a day for the "Yes" campaigners to start using bullying tactics as they try their hardest to isolate themselves as much as possible from the average person to try lose this election.

Probably done more damage to their campaign here than any of the crap Vote No videos have produced so far.

16 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Probably done more damage to their campaign here than any of the crap Vote No videos have produced so far.

Def/

Imagine the thirty Old Catholic Pensioners at the meeting, its like seriously what kind of Complex Political Operation do these dumb Protesters think is going to come out of a Church Hall where Aunt Margret is heading the Research Team?

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

I present to you... the ALT left's thinking process on marriage equality....

So you're against love?

How can you be against love?

Love is what humans do.

If you don't like love you hate humans. 

So basically you're a human hating evil bigot.

Thats like pretty much what nazi's were...

So you support Hitler...

There's no room for Nazi's in society.

Nazi's shouldn't have a platform.

PUNCH A NAZI !!!!

The End.

Edited by HeartFc
  • Like 3

Seriously are all the Subjects listed for Students to do these days in Political Science Departments based on bloody Identity Politics?

Or is young people only speaking about Politics in this new Identity Focused tone a result from so many students wanting to study International Relations/Foreign Affairs Courses at Universities rather than Major in Politics?

I am honestly taking a guesses here as I dont know the answer - All I know is when I did my Major in Politics it was never taught with such a focus or even really discussed such a way by the Left/Right or Whoever else I attended classes with...

All I know is that it doesn't sync well up with the traditional make up of Australian Mainstream Politics, similar to the Brexit Debate and its relation to the UK system.

Edited by cadete

1 hour ago, cadete said:

Seriously are all the Subjects listed for Students to do these days in Political Science Departments based on bloody Identity Politics?

Or is young people only speaking about Politics in this new Identity Focused tone a result from so many students wanting to study International Relations/Foreign Affairs Courses at Universities rather than Major in Politics?

I am honestly taking a guesses here as I dont know the answer - All I know is when I did my Major in Politics it was never taught with such a focus or even really discussed such a way by the Left/Right or Whoever else I attended classes with...

All I know is that it doesn't sync well up with the traditional make up of Australian Mainstream Politics, similar to the Brexit Debate and its relation to the UK system.

Ha ha. Politics you say.

I went to an open day with my nephew at Monash visual arts and I think Trump was mentioned 20 time followed by a sniggering laugh by all 7 lecturers/presenters. 

Couldn't believe the political bias on these leftist brain-dead morons.

Felt like standing up and educating them on what a democratic process is and telling them that the same process elected Trump that elected all the other presidents. Nothing more nothing less. 

It's interesting too that they got no reaction from the packed lecture theatre and if anything most of the people there weren't very impressed.

These people are so out of touch with reality it's scary.

9 hours ago, Tesla said:

Just a bored AF country, as if people don't have better shit to do lol.

I was actually thinking about this the other day. We're so isolated, not only comparative to the world but our own cities. We tend to not really do much away from our own city thus not meeting different people and hearing their opinions.  This creates group think and bubble logic. I think Melbourne is the worst at this and recently having spoken to people from other cities we're far and beyond the most hated in the county.  For good reason too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HeartFc said:

I was actually thinking about this the other day. We're so isolated, not only comparative to the world but our own cities. We tend to not really do much away from our own city thus not meeting different people and hearing their opinions.  This creates group think and bubble logic. I think Melbourne is the worst at this and recently having spoken to people from other cities we're far and beyond the most hated in the county.  For good reason too.

An aspect of the "tyranny of distance."  We're not alone in this - just as an example I've experienced the same in the U.S. Another part of the problem in Melbourne is that the city has just got too big both in terms of distance and population. Despite our "livability" ranking, I find it's just too difficult and time-consuming to get around, and hence I tend to spend most of my time within a radius of about 5k from my home. It's not actually very healthy to become so parochial.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HeartFc said:

I think the place and people are less insular than it was 25 years ago (I suspect the internet is the reason for this), but it's still pretty bad.

Most of the comments on this forum about other states for instance are breath taking in their ignorance.

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

An aspect of the "tyranny of distance."  We're not alone in this - just as an example I've experienced the same in the U.S. Another part of the problem in Melbourne is that the city has just got too big both in terms of distance and population. Despite our "livability" ranking, I find it's just too difficult and time-consuming to get around, and hence I tend to spend most of my time within a radius of about 5k from my home. It's not actually very healthy to become so parochial.

This is actually quite common and has been known for decades. As we age people settle to work, friends and routine. Ask yourself how many new close friends have you made over the last 10 years compared to when you were twenty? In my early twenties I had a job that took me all over the country and met heaps of people that influenced me. These days, I rarely get out of Melbourne (except that I am writing this from Adelaide). As far as the 5Km radius, I had always heard that most Englishmen will die within 4Km from their birthplace. Decades ago there was a story about a science teacher whose DNA matched the DNA of a 10,000 year old skeleton. He was a direct descendant of the stone age bloke.

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

I think the place and people are less insular than it was 25 years ago (I suspect the internet is the reason for this), but it's still pretty bad.

Most of the comments on this forum about other states for instance are breath taking in their ignorance.

I think that we are still pretty insular but Melbournians are more accepting of the multicultural mix than other places.

As for this forum, there are quite a lot of strong opinions and I do wonder how often they spend time listening to other points of view.

I dont think I've see anyone try so hard to lose a vote than the 'yes' voters currently are.

The irony that the reason they didnt want a vote was because apparently there would be bullying against gay people, the only bullying I see is from yes voters against no voters.

If only they just closed their stupid mouths there would be gay marriage very soon, oh wait I forgot they dont actually give a fuck about gay marriage and only give a fuck about feeling righteous and getting a few likes on social media :droy:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tesla said:

I dont think I've see anyone try so hard to lose a vote than the 'yes' voters currently are.

The irony that the reason they didnt want a vote was because apparently there would be bullying against gay people, the only bullying I see is from yes voters against no voters.

If only they just closed their stupid mouths there would be gay marriage very soon, oh wait I forgot they dont actually give a fuck about gay marriage and only give a fuck about feeling righteous and getting a few likes on social media :droy:

And it won't end there. Once gay marriage has passed they'll  have to be self righteous about something else. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tesla said:

That poll of theirs that was released or leaked still showed they were a mile ahead though, so they'll need to turn up their bullying a bit more to lose. 

I shall exercise my vote on this marriage proposal according to my conscience. I also welcome the opportunity to participate in direct democracy. What is pissing me off about the whole thing is that I do not wish to hear or see what any other people or groups of people think in an attempt to influence my vote.

On 9/8/2017 at 5:35 PM, playmaker said:

Ha ha. Politics you say.

I went to an open day with my nephew at Monash visual arts and I think Trump was mentioned 20 time followed by a sniggering laugh by all 7 lecturers/presenters. 

Couldn't believe the political bias on these leftist brain-dead morons.

Felt like standing up and educating them on what a democratic process is and telling them that the same process elected Trump that elected all the other presidents. Nothing more nothing less. 

It's interesting too that they got no reaction from the packed lecture theatre and if anything most of the people there weren't very impressed.

These people are so out of touch with reality it's scary.

Did you really honestly believe a that bunch of PPL teaching "Visual Arts" at Monash University would not have biased Leftist Views?

On ‎10‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 5:53 AM, Tesla said:

Only anti marriage stuff Ive seen is what pops up on facebook everytime my gay mate goes into the comments to argue with people. He's probably better shutting up and not exposing it for hundreds of people to see.

• Like 1

I hate that about Facebook. You can control just about everything about your account but doesn't allow you to comment without your friends seeing it. That stays in the back of your mind and ultimately slows you down when it comes to discussing certain topics and giving your honest opinion on what you really believe.  I remember making a few pro Trump comments just before the US election and my friend count dropping pretty rapidly. Meanwhile I don't even bat an eye when half my friends list are borderline communists/radical fem bots who openly discuss "taking down" capitalism... OK 32 year old single women with 12k in the bank and binge drinking problem, what the actual fuck are you doing to bring about this "revolution" besides posting selfies with "your squad" and sharing every second buzzfeed video. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HeartFc said:

I hate that about Facebook. You can control just about everything about your account but doesn't allow you to comment without your friends seeing it. That stays in the back of your mind and ultimately slows you down when it comes to discussing certain topics and giving your honest opinion on what you really believe.  I remember making a few pro Trump comments just before the US election and my friend count dropping pretty rapidly. Meanwhile I don't even bat an eye when half my friends list are borderline communists/radical fem bots who openly discuss "taking down" capitalism... OK 32 year old single women with 12k in the bank and binge drinking problem, what the actual fuck are you doing to bring about this "revolution" besides posting selfies with "your squad" and sharing every second buzzfeed video. 

Hah yeah I avoid making a lot of half troll type comments on FB due to worrying who might see it and interpret it the wrong way.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hedaik said:

Hah yeah I avoid making a lot of half troll type comments on FB due to worrying who might see it and interpret it the wrong way.

Yep, I had to do the same thing when I got engaged... my wife's older relatives for some odd reason are all over Facebook.

I got a texts the other day from my Mother and my Mother in Law within minutes of each other to change my Cover Photo.