Melbourne Football

Domestic Politics

cadete

5 minutes ago, Hellenic Hero said:

Alright, thanks fellas. I'll get onto it after school:)

Seriously kids your age with Smartphones do not know  what Boredom is when you can access the Internet as much as you do during a School Day... the most powerful electronic tool I had elevate boredom in Year 12 was a Casio Graphics Calculator which I could play some Crap Text Drug Dealing Game based poorly around the Suburbs of Sleepy Perth.

NOTE: Too this day why Heroin prices were supposedly so good in Gentrified Subi does not make any sense to me.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hellenic Hero said:

Ok then, better question. If he spoke English fluently and didn't rely on me to help with his documents would I be under an obligation then?

You think your relationship with your grandparents revolve around "obligations"?

youve got to be fucking kidding me.

18 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

You think your relationship with your grandparents revolve around "obligations"?

youve got to be fucking kidding me.

It doesn't mate, what I was saying was that doesn't him asking me to help him with all the paperwork put me under and obligation to do it correctly and honestly to the best of my ability?

3 minutes ago, Hellenic Hero said:

It doesn't mate, what I was saying was that doesn't him asking me to help him with all the paperwork put me under and obligation to do it correctly and honestly to the best of my ability?

Well call me old fashioned but I would have thought your love for your grandparents would mean you'd help them out as best you could whatever the issue was and you wouldn't see it as an "obligation" but rather something you just did.  (& as @malloy mentioned hoping to get paid with food). 

In your life don't let politics get in the way of your relationships. You can have great friends who you respect but who you disagree with. Might as well get your head around that now.

4 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Well call me old fashioned but I would have thought your love for your grandparents would mean you'd help them out as best you could whatever the issue was and you wouldn't see it as an "obligation" but rather something you just did.  (& as @malloy mentioned hoping to get paid with food). 

In your life don't let politics get in the way of your relationships. You can have great friends who you respect but who you disagree with. Might as well get your head around that now.

Yeah haha with Greek grandparents I certainly get that!

I certainly understand what you mean and realise I was in the wrong, I was just wondering if it would be considered really bad to do such a thing. I now know that it is and I won't do it again.

1 hour ago, Hellenic Hero said:

Yeah haha with Greek grandparents I certainly get that!

I certainly understand what you mean and realise I was in the wrong, I was just wondering if it would be considered really bad to do such a thing. I now know that it is and I won't do it again.

Geez you constantly seem to admit and apologise too easily when your wrong. Are you sure you're Greek? 

6 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Geez you constantly seem to admit and apologise too easily when your wrong. Are you sure you're Greek? 

Yeah haha I do, I hate confrontation so I've always done it, sorry if it's a bit weird. Plus I figure that you blokes are a bit older than me and so it's good to learn from you on various issues, as well as treat you with respect.

Edited by Hellenic Hero

2 hours ago, Tesla said:

I leave the country for a couple of weeks and nekminut half of parliament is gone and pauline hanson is wearing a burqa..

BTW well done on Brandis... 

Too many dumb arse Australians say the most stupid shit about the Liberals, pretending they are as Right Wing as the Republican Party or in Abbott's case that he was apparently a Fascist (Largely because he is a Catholic) even through on a lot his Social Policy he was to Left of bloody Bernie Sanders.

Its a complete load of crap... sometimes I think Leftists should take a deep breath and really look at how bad the Liberal Party is in their eyes when they compare it to other Conservative Parties around the world. They dont believe in the Death Penalty, They do believe in Health Care, They do believe in some Social Benefits... hardly a bunch of Hardcore Fascists.

1 hour ago, cadete said:

BTW well done on Brandis... 

I appreciated his speech, but two observations I made

-It seems to be out of character with what he has said previously about peoples rights to be bigots and 18C
-None of the Libs stood up to applause him

I dont really know much about him, but seemed to me he was speaking more from the heart rather than towing the party line and is more compassionate than I thought he was, 

3 minutes ago, hedaik said:

I appreciated his speech, but two observations I made

-It seems to be out of character with what he has said previously about peoples rights to be bigots and 18C
-None of the Libs stood up to applause him

I dont really know much about him, but seemed to me he was speaking more from the heart rather than towing the party line and is more compassionate than I thought he was, 

Just because someone thinks 18C is an invasion of persons rights (Which it blatantly is) does not make themselves a Bigot...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cadete said:

Just because someone thinks 18C is an invasion of persons rights (Which it blatantly is) does not make themselves a Bigot...

Well Brandis clearly thinks there is a link between 18C and Bigotry as per the quote below when defending the proposed 18C changes. Without getting bogged down on 18C or what a bigot is or isnt, the point was that it came across as being out of character for him to what hes previously shown. 

"People do have a right to be bigots you know," he told the Senate.

"In a free country people do have rights to say things that other people find offensive or insulting or bigoted."

Edited by hedaik

18 minutes ago, hedaik said:

Well Brandis clearly thinks there is a link between 18C and Bigotry as per the quote below when defending the proposed 18C changes. Without getting bogged down on 18C or what a bigot is or isnt, the point was that it came across as being out of character for him to what hes previously shown. 

"People do have a right to be bigots you know," he told the Senate.

"In a free country people do have rights to say things that other people find offensive or insulting or bigoted."

He is right PPL should have a right to be bigots... its a question of Freedom of Speech and 18C is a stupid vague law which in the wrong hands could be used to stifle necessary Political Debate and thus be very potentially very damaging to all Australian's Freedom of Speech.

Just because you believe PPL have the right to be dickheads in a Liberal Democracy, does not mean you think dickhead behavior itself is acceptable or that dickheads should be Senators. 

Edited by cadete

Hanson dindu nuffin. Simply proved a point that you can wear a Burka in parliament, big fucking deal. Brandis getting all croaky with this gay little speech was the disgrace. 

Will Brandis start lubing Di Natale arsehole with crocodile tears when gays dress as nuns next mardigra... like they do every year...?

I thinkus notis.

Of course it was a stunt from Hanson. Pathetic crocodile tears from Brandis, and hypocritical support for him from all the pinkos and politically-correct do-gooders.

Pauline simply expresses what so many people privately feel, and express in the privacy of their own homes but are afraid to express publicly.

I shudder to think what kind of country our children and grandchildren will inherit.

2 hours ago, Nate said:

lol, Australian parliament dealing with the real heavy hitting issues at the moment.

Religious garments, dual-citizenship and plebiscites... country must be running itself if this is all we've got to talk about.

Belgium didn't have a parliament for years and it ran fine. Not sure if that's a good thing or if it means the beaureaucrats really run  the show 

2 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Belgium didn't have a parliament for years and it ran fine. Not sure if that's a good thing or if it means the beaureaucrats really run  the show 

Or rather problems were ignored and hence not in the forefront of peoples minds and so it seemed to run fine. Also a litlle bit of the beaureaucrat thing and also being in the EU.

3 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Until the islamic terrorists began bombing the crap out of belgium and france, spain and maybe Germany. Then the Belgians realised that all those years of no effective government meant that they did not have any security policies, laws in place to deal with the threat. And then the rest of Europe realised that the Belgians were the weakest link and could not be trusted.

• Like 1

A country really doesnt need a parliment to run under normal circumstances, all they do is create a fuckload of new laws for no reason.

So much shit when the EWL was going to be built by the last state government, but Labor gets a free pass for their extremely dodgy toll road? No tender or anything, just a closed doors deal. Wonder how much the labor politicians are pocketing from this.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tesla said:

So much shit when the EWL was going to be built by the last state government, but Labor gets a free pass for their extremely dodgy toll road? No tender or anything, just a closed doors deal. Wonder how much the labor politicians are pocketing from this.

I guess the main difference is that the state government is paying $0, and with less houses being demolished theres not enough people to stand in newspaper article photos with their arms crossed. But I agree the more that comes out about the tunnel the more that stinks about it. 

2 hours ago, hedaik said:

I guess the main difference is that the state government is paying $0, and with less houses being demolished theres not enough people to stand in newspaper article photos with their arms crossed. But I agree the more that comes out about the tunnel the more that stinks about it. 

Not true, state government is paying $1.5bn.

Just doesn't stack up at all with the citylink contract extension, that's worth more than the whole project will cost, yet a subsidy and tolls are required.

Edited by Tesla

1 hour ago, Tesla said:

Just doesn't stack up at all with the citylink contract extension, that's worth more than the whole project will cost, yet a subsidy and tolls are required.

FWIW the Libs did oppose the Building of the Eastlink Link... also every state in Australia these days has an Opposition (Whatever the Party) who believes strongly it has a supposedly a better Transport Project Plan than the one the current government its putting into practice.

But of course I agree that not finishing the EW Link is inexcusable due to the cost.

Edited by cadete

2 hours ago, Tesla said:

I swore I read that the Feds were paying the 1.5bn but cant find it now. Either way, still dodgy. 

17 hours ago, cadete said:

FWIW the Libs did oppose the Building of the Eastlink Link... also every state in Australia these days has an Opposition (Whatever the Party) who believes strongly it has a supposedly a better Transport Project Plan than the one the current government its putting into practice.

But of course I agree that not finishing the EW Link is inexcusable due to the cost.

I dont necessarily disagree with this new toll road, at least it's something (even though it's just a poorer version of the western half of the EWL). Rather I think making a closed doors deal without a tender process has no place in a country like Australia, even in corrupt af countries at least they fake a tender process. Also don't agree with citylink tolls being extended for a separate road.

Edited by Tesla

3 hours ago, Tesla said:

I dont necessarily disagree with this new toll road, at least it's something (even though it's just a poorer version of the western half of the EWL). Rather I think making a closed doors deal without a tender process has no place in a country like Australia, even in corrupt af countries at least they fake a tender process. Also don't agree with citylink tolls being extended for a separate road.

But there was a tender

• Thanks 1

Im actually in favour of changing the date. Not in favour of councils overstepping their jurisdiction 

I've said it before, but this is the lefty issue I have time for. The problem is that I'm yet to see a logical date that is both significant to the nation and doesn't sit too close to other public holidays.

I dont understand the suggestion of a date change of Australia day? Does it change the past? Will the left celebrate and say their work is done.... or will they push for something else? Changing the flag? The anthem? Perhaps a vegan aboriginal muslim pansexual gender fluid prime minister will be next?

This is simply the aussie version of removing the confederate statues in the US . Erasing the past or at least a reminder of the past and its connection to western civilisation, be it good or bad. If its based on "the racist past" why aren't the left up in arms about Former Democratic Senator, West Virginian Robert Byrd who was a KKK member for over a decade? Plenty of streets and buildings named after him in West Virginia... Hilary seemed to love him too... Strange huh?

Edited by HeartFc

8 hours ago, Jimmy said:

I've said it before, but this is the lefty issue I have time for. The problem is that I'm yet to see a logical date that is both significant to the nation and doesn't sit too close to other public holidays.

Officially, Australia did not come into existence until January1, 1901. So for me this was always the logical date BUT it is also New Years Day. So if a republic ever comes into existence it should be in August or October when the public holidays are scarce.

8 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Officially, Australia did not come into existence until January1, 1901. So for me this was always the logical date BUT it is also New Years Day. So if a republic ever comes into existence it should be in August or October when the public holidays are scarce.

8 hours ago, Jimmy said: