Melbourne Football

Domestic Politics

cadete

3 hours ago, Jimmy said:

If a postal plebiscite were to go ahead, would you even bother casting a vote?

My understanding is that the vote is compulsory?

55 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Would probably depend on the day, the mood I'm in, etc. This is seriously testing my patience.

Certainly will cast a vote. 

39 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

My understanding is that the vote is compulsory?

The vote is only compulsory if it's an actual plebiscite passed through the senate, whereas a postal plebiscite would be voluntary but apparently doesn't need legislation.

28 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Decided I'm gunna vote no. Voting yes is mainstream 

Keen to see the odds bookies offer on it getting voted down.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hedaik said:

Glad the corrupt fuck Matthew Guy is gone.

His rezoning of Fisherman Bend was criminal and should have ended his career years ago. 

Did he quit after all that?

Anyways, pretty much all pollies with any level of status are corrupt in some respect, Peter Baelish wasnt that far off the money when he said "Chaos is a ladder"

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Anyways, pretty much all pollies with any level of status are corrupt in some respect, Peter Baelish wasnt that far off the money when he said "Chaos is a ladder"

Not yet, can't see him surviving or winning the next election though after this mornings revelations of being offered substantial donations on a recording. 

Yeah I agree, its probably my biggest issue with Australian politics at the moment and nobody seems to want to do anything about it. 

Edited by hedaik

Just now, hedaik said:

Not yet, can't see him surviving or winning the next election though after this mornings revelations of being offered substantial donations on a recording. 

Ah must have missed that. Lol.

Honestly pretty much all the opposition leader had to do to take power was sit and say absolutely nothing to beat Dan Andrews. Shows the state of politics in this country when they can't even do that...

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

You can extend that to senior people in the public service as well. You can be corrupt by both omission and commission. The scandal over waste "disposal" exposed by Four Corners is just the tip of the iceberg.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Matthew Guy had an unloseable election and he fucked it up. How brain dead do you have to be to get into politics

How about the ones who "forget" their disclosure obligations? For example, Bruce Billson. How can you "forget" that you're being paid by someone? 

• Like 1

Law will pass before the Election, ALP will romp in and Malcolm can return to the ABC.

But Malcolm will now have his legacy of "Gay Marriage" to trade with as the Cuddly Liberal on the ABC as he returns to criticize all future governments.

Worst Federal Coalition Government since the other Malcolm...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I've decided I'm into the plebiscite. Active non compulsory citizen driven democracy, yes please 

Seriously if we voted "No" in the plebiscite that would be a shit thing to have to carry around with you as an Australian when you are travelling... it would really make sure a certain type of Australian was revealed to The Greater World.

37 minutes ago, cadete said:

Seriously if we voted "No" in the plebiscite that would be a shit thing to have to carry around with you as an Australian when you are travelling... it would really make sure a certain type of Australian was revealed to The Greater World.

Bullshit. When you're travelling, every time you meet an American do you think about US foreign policy, nuclear warheads etc. etc.? Every time you meet an Irish girl (just to even up the "gender balance") do you say "Wow, she's OK, the Irish have same-sex marriage"?

I try to take people as I find them rather than pigeon-hole them according to their government's policy or lack thereof.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Bullshit. When you're travelling, every time you meet an American do you think about US foreign policy, nuclear warheads etc. etc.? Every time you meet an Irish girl (just to even up the "gender balance") do you say "Wow, she's OK, the Irish have same-sex marriage"?

I try to take people as I find them rather than pigeon-hole them according to their government's policy or lack thereof.

Its not like that...

If you are backpacking which I have done alone in the past and with my Wife over the last two years you will meet PPL from all over the world and one of first things they will do is ask you where you are from and then they will make a comment on what they know about Australia.

If this vote loses this will be the first thing to go into a lot of Backpackers Under 35's heads... its a significant News Item for a First World Country that has such a high standard of living who vote such a way. (ESP when you consider how we have no major Religious Body involved in Politics in this Country).

In all honesty, those right of center should pull a realpolitik and unironically vote yes. Deny the chance for media to continue the distraction politics, deny Bill Shorten a campaign basis, trigger the insane LGBT enclaves on university campuses when they see Tony Abott and his party wearing their most successful piece of activism as a badge of honour. The LGBT identity will eventually lose value for buisnesses, politicians and even individuals and the law will be revoked in the future anyway when post-WW3 Australia will develop natalist/family-driven ideals and push for growth of the incumbent population.

Honestly it just shits me that the left keep fucking delaying marriage equality for some bs politics. Should have just let the plebiscite happen, it may not be the way they want it to happen but it is the fastest route. That's why I feel like voting no just cause they're shitting me. Most boring issue ever tbh. 

Edited by Tesla

3 hours ago, Tesla said:

Honestly it just shits me that the left keep fucking delaying marriage equality for some bs politics. Should have just let the plebiscite happen, it may not be the way they want it to happen but it is the fastest route. That's why I feel like voting no just cause they're shitting me. Most boring issue ever tbh. 

I can think of only one genuine reason why. That is, that privately they are not confident that a plebiscite would return a "yes." Given the reports I have seen on opinion polls on the issue, I can't see why they would not have that confidence.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I can think of only one genuine reason why. That is, that privately they are not confident that a plebiscite would return a "yes." Given the reports I have seen on opinion polls on the issue, I can't see why they would not have that confidence.

Absolutely correct. That is why the activists are opposed to letting the people vote.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tesla said:

Had one try to tell me that the postal vote was undemocratic :droy:

On 8/12/2017 at 1:14 PM, jw1739 said:

I'll give you an alternative reason - if we allow a plebiscite why not every piece of legislation? After all given that 72% of Australians live in an urban setting with internet access, what would the point of a parliament be and instead of having a representative work on your behalf, why not represent yourself?

Now of course this would be disastrous but not inconceivable.

I don't think it's a question of "all or nothing." May I point you to Switzerland, which in 2016 had what they call referendums on four occasions and covering 18 (if I can count) different subjects. IIRC the criterion for holding one is a petition to do so with 100,000 signatures from Swiss citizens.

I'm not an avid student of politics, but I guess that the rise in popularity of "direct democracy" results at least in part with dissatisfaction with parliamentary representatives and distrust that they will actually endeavour to make decisions for the good of the country rather than in their own self-interest.

I would welcome the opportunity to have a direct say in various matters that are currently determined only by our parliamentary "representatives."

On 8/12/2017 at 1:14 PM, jw1739 said:

If it was a referendum it would obv fail that is pretty much a fact... thank god it never could be.

I think knowing this fact about the population is why the ALP and the more rational Plebiscite Knockers are concerned about the whole thing.

Edited by cadete

2 minutes ago, cadete said:

If it was a referendum it would obv fail that is pretty much a fact... thank god it never could be.

I think knowing this fact about the population is why the ALP and the more rational Plebiscite Knockers are concerned about the whole thing.

You think the No vote will get up???

Just now, bt50 said:

You think the No vote will get up???

No I dont...

However, it could be fucked up if The Left try hard enough to isolate the public by labeling all opponents of the change and PPL undecided as Homophobic... like Tim Minchin already has of course then maybe the vote could fuck up. (That is how Hillary lost the election she was meant to easily win.)

Average Australians love to Protest Vote when they feel like they are being told to behave a certain way or that will act a certain way.