Melbourne Football

Domestic Politics

cadete

8 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I haven't been to the snow fields this year, usually go to central Victoria, or along the coast to Lorne using the inland route. The Yarra Valley does have 100Km/h zones but all the bends and curves are taken at much lower speeds. I have seen in the past vehicles take bends too fast only to end up in the ditch.

FWIW I never mentioned corners in my post, I meant hills as in crests where you cannot see the other side until you are over it. Even if you have slowed down to go over this (as you should do, same with corners) the majority of drivers (or even the minority, it doesn't matter it only takes one) will not slow down enough to avoid a potentially deadly crash caused by cars going much slower on the other side.

13 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I haven't been to the snow fields this year, usually go to central Victoria, or along the coast to Lorne using the inland route. The Yarra Valley does have 100Km/h zones but all the bends and curves are taken at much lower speeds. I have seen in the past vehicles take bends too fast only to end up in the ditch.

Fun story. A few years ago my dad got his tarago impounded on the way to the snow cause of the hoon laws

• Like 1

I laughed.  A great way to end the week.

But speculation is Ludlam resigns, renounces is NZ citizenship, the spot goes to #3 on the Greens ticket Jordon Steele-John who then rejects the seat, this creates a casual vacancy, the Greens get to chose who fills the vacancy, Ludlam meanwhile is only an Australian citizen, Greens re-chose Ludlam, Ludlam returns to the Senate.

• Like 1

While on the subject of terrorism, seems acid attacks are the new fashion, just goes to show people that want to commit acts of violence will always find a weapon. You restrict guns they start mowing people down in trucks, you put bollards up to stop truck attacks they use knives and acid, etc

On 7/15/2017 at 6:38 PM, Tesla said:

While on the subject of terrorism, seems acid attacks are the new fashion, just goes to show people that want to commit acts of violence will always find a weapon. You restrict guns they start mowing people down in trucks, you put bollards up to stop truck attacks they use knives and acid, etc

Such a great and original argument... 

• Like 1

A true argument none the less.

Interesting how it took a muslim guy getting rolled by white guy for acid attacks to get on the map... even though there had already been over 1500 in london alone since 2012. With something like 90% of since were in heavy populated muslim neighbourhoods. 

Political correctness is literally allowing (mostly young women) to get acid attacked, FGM'ed and marry off to pedophiles. 

No one has the balls to tell a brown person so stop being a fucking barbarian. If we don't don't swing that pendulum back quickly than it'll create more and more right wing terrorists and possibly lead to all out civil war in some countries.

BTW just check out the stats regarding Poland and terrorism. They have the balls to tell the EU to get  fucked, they don't care about being called racist and as a result they don't have a single muslim terrorist attack despite have the 8th biggest population in Europe. Strongest economy since the GFC and birth rates are rising too. Ladies and gentlemen... the triumphant return of the great Kingdom of Poland is upon us!

• Like 1

On 7/15/2017 at 6:38 PM, Tesla said:

I had a friend who was writing his PhD on Islamic terrorism back around 2003. He said that they always change their method. He predicted that they would target either the Spanish or the Italians next and it would be a new method. They were seen as the most wavering members of the coalition of the willing. He said they will get targeted, their governments would cave in, withdraw support and other nations will follow. Sure enough, they bombed a train in Madrid, Spain withdrew, then other countries started withdrawing.

25 minutes ago, Deeming said:

Greens lose another Senator - one you can maybe chalk up to an mistake, two is incompetence

Certainly is. But seriously, WTF is wrong with our parliamentary system when eligibility apparently goes unchecked?

So politicians are allowed to break some pretty fucking serious laws with no consequence?

Forget you had dual citizenship? Lol fuck off, no one forgets that.

Regardless, try forgetting to do your tax return, see what that gets you. Arguably a less serious crime than this.

Or better yet, forget that you had access to insider information before making a financial transaction.

I've made my thoughts about white collar crime clear before so I'm not going to say they should go to jail or whatever, but I think a $5k-$10k fine and 2-5 years ban from holding a political office would be more than reasonable. Realistically, under current laws applicable to other white collar crime, a jail term is probably reasonable though (not that I agree with it).

Edited by Tesla

3 hours ago, Tesla said:

So politicians are allowed to break some pretty fucking serious laws with no consequence?

Regardless, try forgetting to do your tax return, see what that gets you. Arguably a less serious crime than this.

Or better yet, forget that you had access to insider information before making a financial transaction.

I've made my thoughts about white collar crime clear before so I'm not going to say they should go to jail or whatever, but I think a $5k-$10k fine and 2-5 years ban from holding a political office would be more than reasonable. Realistically, under current laws applicable to other white collar crime, a jail term is probably reasonable though (not that I agree with it).

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/sda1959280/s11.html

I think nomination forms are or have a section that are considered statutory declarations (maybe @Deeming could clarify?)

19 hours ago, Tesla said:

For someone intending to hold public office it is indeed inexcusable.

I was born in the UK, and I confess I thought that by formally taking Australian citizenship I had automatically revoked my UK citizenship. Not until my son used my birth certificate to apply for and gain a European Community passport did I realise that I held dual citizenship, and that it would cost something like $500 to formally revoke my UK status. Needless to say I haven't bothered to pay up because there's no point in doing so. I wonder how many "ordinary people" are actually dual citizens without realising it?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I was born in the UK, and I confess I thought that by formally taking Australian citizenship I had automatically revoked my UK citizenship. Not until my son used my birth certificate to apply for and gain a European Community passport did I realise that I held dual citizenship, and that it would cost something like $500 to formally revoke my UK status. Needless to say I haven't bothered to pay up because there's no point in doing so. I wonder how many "ordinary people" are actually dual citizens without realising it?

I currently have three; UK from birth along with NZ and Aus through naturalisation. Too much hassle to get rid of any of them so I haven't bothered.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I currently have three; UK from birth along with NZ and Aus through naturalisation. Too much hassle to get rid of any of them so I haven't bothered.

What benefit do you get from dropping citizenship? Seems like you're just giving up flexibility and convenience.

Just now, Jimmy said:

What benefit do you get from dropping citizenship? Seems like you're just giving up flexibility and convenience.

Spot on, I think you're only "meant to" have two. Aus is the only country I am registered to vote but I have a passport for all three (NZ may have expired will need to check that, not that I use it anyway)

17 hours ago, malloy said:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/sda1959280/s11.html

I think nomination forms are or have a section that are considered statutory declarations (maybe @Deeming could clarify?)

You have to declare that you are eligible for election to the Senate with references to the clauses in that pesky Constitution. It doesn't specifically say I am not a dual citizen.

Grown ups would check these things out before nominating. 

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Like yourself, I have no idea what my citizenship status is other than I am Australian by naturalisation and use an Australian passport since my teens. However, my situation is slightly different in that at one point the dictatorship had decreed that all who had left were traitors and therefore citizenship was automatically lost, then it changed again and since then I haven't bothered trying to keep track of where things are at. I suppose if I ran for parliament then I would check it, and this is where the two senators screwed up.

For me the only thing I am not clear on, is whether if the parents are overseas on an official government business, eg armed forces, diplomat, etc. are the kids dual citizen or not? By the same token a premature birth to an ordinary woman in a foreign country, does that automatically qualify as dual citizenship? What about a passport for the baby?

3 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Like yourself, I have no idea what my citizenship status is other than I am Australian by naturalisation and use an Australian passport since my teens. However, my situation is slightly different in that at one point the dictatorship had decreed that all who had left were traitors and therefore citizenship was automatically lost, then it changed again and since then I haven't bothered trying to keep track of where things are at. I suppose if I ran for parliament then I would check it, and this is where the two senators screwed up.

For me the only thing I am not clear on, is whether if the parents are overseas on an official government business, eg armed forces, diplomat, etc. are the kids dual citizen or not? By the same token a premature birth to an ordinary woman in a foreign country, does that automatically qualify as dual citizenship? What about a passport for the baby?

My understanding of the situation described in your second paragraph is that application has to be made for the child to become an "Australian Citizen by Descent." http://www.border.gov.au/Citizenship/Pages/Child-born-overseas-to-an-Australian-citizen.aspx Whether or not the child is deemed a citizen of the country in which they were born varies from country to country. Spare a thought for all these poor children! Some born in aircraft, some on board ship - I believe in the latter case the child acquires citizenship of the country in which the vessel is registered - too bad if it's Panama or Liberia, perhaps not too bad if it's Bermuda, or Nassau in the Bahamas.

• Like 1

The fuck is going on, the Greens actually not only proposing a realistic economic policy, but a good one and better than both the major parties

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/51-billion-budget-bonus-in-greens-plan-to-curb-negative-gearing-20170728-gxkrz4.html

Though ideally I'd want the savings used to cut personal income taxes or something else rather than whatever retarded shit Greens will use it on. 

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

On 7/29/2017 at 1:58 PM, Tesla said:

The fuck is going on, the Greens actually not only proposing a realistic economic policy, but a good one and better than both the major parties

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/51-billion-budget-bonus-in-greens-plan-to-curb-negative-gearing-20170728-gxkrz4.html

Though ideally I'd want the savings used to cut personal income taxes or something else rather than whatever retarded shit Greens will use it on. 

The only long term Federal Policies that matter right now are those that the ALP announces...

The Australian Public are desperate to see a stable Government and the ALP are going to romp in it in by ten lengths in both houses. The Greens have been exposed as not a legitimate second option to many in Left whilst the Liberal Infighting and their retarded new Education Funding is going to kill them in West Sydney alone.  

Something pretty out there would have to happen right now for Bill Shorten not to be our next PM for at least two terms...

Edited by cadete

4 minutes ago, cadete said:

The only long term Federal Policies that matter right now are those that the ALP announces...

The Australian Public are desperate to see a stable Government and the ALP are going to romp in it in by ten lengths in both houses. The Greens have been exposed as not a legitimate second option to many in Left whilst the Liberal Infighting and their retarded new Education Funding is going to kill them in West Sydney alone.  

Something pretty out there would have to happen right now for Bill Shorten not to be our next PM for at least two terms...

Well, I'm in agreement with Bill on the proposed changes to Taxing Trusts, I work in the Tax world, it stinks, how much manipulation goes on is beyond belief, all for the sake of saving a few bucks

4 hours ago, japiedog said:

Well, I'm in agreement with Bill on the proposed changes to Taxing Trusts, I work in the Tax world, it stinks, how much manipulation goes on is beyond belief, all for the sake of saving a few bucks

If you work in the tax world then you know that Shortrn has not properly thought out his proposal as this will result in a huge amount of unintended persons being affeted. 

He has already conceded that the 2/3 of all trusts that will be affected are small businesses yet he has said these are not the intended targets of the measure.

FWIW the majority of 'gaming' of the system with trusts purely comes about from back dating documentation illegally (namely trust distributions).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, malloy said:

If you work in the tax world then you know that Shortrn has not properly thought out his proposal as this will result in a huge amount of unintended persons being affeted. 

He has already conceded that the 2/3 of all trusts that will be affected are small businesses yet he has said these are not the intended targets of the measure.

FWIW the majority of 'gaming' of the system with trusts purely comes about from back dating documentation illegally (namely trust distributions).

back dating documentation illegally (namely trust distributions).

THIS NEVER HAPPENS !

Both sides of politics have made comments on this over the years, no one has had the balls to actually do something significant to change  the tax treatment of Trusts.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/trusts-shorten-channels-howard-costello-and-hockey-20170730-gxltqu.html

21 hours ago, japiedog said:

back dating documentation illegally (namely trust distributions).

THIS NEVER HAPPENS !

Both sides of politics have made comments on this over the years, no one has had the balls to actually do something significant to change  the tax treatment of Trusts.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/trusts-shorten-channels-howard-costello-and-hockey-20170730-gxltqu.html

Its not neccessarily that no one has the balls it is more that every proposed change so far has unintended and unwanted ramifications affecting more taxpayers than those that the changes are supposedly targeting.