Melbourne Football

Domestic Politics

cadete

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Whatever else is considered, we certainly need to speed up the counting process. What we do now is positively medieval. One suggestion I have is close the postal vote cut-off to the day before the physical election instead of a fortnight later.

Agee they need to improve things.

With postals They are allowing for the terrible delivery service of Australia Post. It's not just postals though, absentees (like mine) have to be physically transported back to the seat. I don't think they've started even counting them yet

1 hour ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I'm looking forward to three years of "I told you so" from Wilkie.

The war was an unmitigated disaster, but do we need an enquiry into what we all already know?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-07/wilkie-blames-bali-bombing-lindt-siege-on-iraq-war-involvement/7576480

Yes we do need another inquiry. The Chilcott report was based around the UK's processes and responsibilities. We need one based around Australia's processes and responsibilities.

I don't think Howard will come out too badly out of it tbh. First he ensured that Australians were not in the main line of fire, then he gave the Americans billions of dollars purchasing aircraft that haven't seen the light of day and we bough some rusting Lincoln tanks so we wouldn't provide additional support. I noted at the time that Labor went on the offensive we a stale lettuce leaf that lasted a whole six hours before they quickly moved on.

The biggest issue Australians will face is the so called "special relationship". That was the card that Blair plied and as Chilcott noted the UK had disagreed with the USA before, the French and Germans disagreed and the relationship did not falter. Australians have this enormous fear that the USA will turn their back on us immediately we say something that they don't like. So in the future when the USA has another cartoon president and an evil vice president which way will Australians jump?

19 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Agee they need to improve things.

With postals They are allowing for the terrible delivery service of Australia Post. It's not just postals though, absentees (like mine) have to be physically transported back to the seat. I don't think they've started even counting them yet

Madness to rely on Australia Post these days with its ever-diminishing level of service. I would have thought - in my ignorance - that the AEC would have a secure transport and delivery service contracted for each election. And if I didn't trust you I would never have believed that an absentee vote would have to be sent from any one of some 7,000 polling stations back to the AEC office of the electorate concerned. That really is medieval. 

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

On 7/6/2016 at 4:44 PM, NewConvert said:

What would be the feeling here if the Coalition entered into some agreement with Katter so that they can govern?

Listening to Katter on P.M. this evening I'd say he could be as dangerous as Hanson. His father was pretty bad but the junior version is worse.

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

The head of the AEC was on the Tele Monday morning. Apparently it's a requirement of the act.

I almost fell over.

I just did...

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Listening to Katter on P.M. this evening I'd say he could be as dangerous as Hanson. His father was pretty bad but the junior version is worse.

Taxpayers are going to squeal if he is the lynch pin...

I'm glad this election has shown how bad, outdated, and inefficient the system is. Seriously the vote counting system must have been designed in 1950 or something.

On another note, apparently Turnbull is too left wing for the Liberal party, but Mike Baird is okay? He might as well run for the Greens after today's decision.

Edited by Tesla

13 minutes ago, Tesla said:

I'm glad this election has shown how bad, outdated, and inefficient the system is. Seriously the vote counting system must have been designed in 1950 or something.

On another note, apparently Turnbull is too left wing for the Liberal party, but Mike Baird is okay? He might as well run for the Greens after today's decision.

I just read what they do with postal/absentee ballot papers. After they've been sent back to the right electoral division the validity of each ballot paper is scrutinised (name, address etc.) and approved, and then (this is the bit that gets me) the ballot paper is put in a ballot box where it stays until the time limit for  postal/absentee votes is up and then the ballot box is opened up and emptied out and all the votes are counted!

Why not count the bloody vote immediately after it is validated and without putting it in the box?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Pretty confident this vote counting system was put in place a long time before 1950.  

That whole dishlickers thing has me scratching my head.  Don't you just increase the regulation?  Bizarre.

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Madness to rely on Australia Post these days with its ever-diminishing level of service. I would have thought - in my ignorance - that the AEC would have a secure transport and delivery service contracted for each election. And if I didn't trust you I would never have believed that an absentee vote would have to be sent from any one of some 7,000 polling stations back to the AEC office of the electorate concerned. That really is medieval. 

Oh it's not 7000 polling booths. You can only vote absentee at a select few places in each electorate.

Why don't they look up an electronic roll and then count the bloody vote on the bloody night? It seems to me the scrutiny on an absentee vote is several orders of magnitude higher than a normal vote and I don't understand why.

Probably seemed like a good idea in 1898.

18 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Oh it's not 7000 polling booths. You can only vote absentee at a select few places in each electorate.

Why don't they look up an electronic roll and then count the bloody vote on the bloody night? It seems to me the scrutiny on an absentee vote is several orders of magnitude higher than a normal vote and I don't understand why.

Probably seemed like a good idea in 1898.

However many it is it's still archaic.

4 hours ago, Shahanga said:

That whole dishlickers thing has me scratching my head.  Don't you just increase the regulation?  Bizarre.

Yeah I really don't understand, fair enough if something had to be done but completely banning it especially given the economic consequences seems over the top.

$1.5bn hit to the NSW economy, seriously only a Greens politician would make a retarded move like this. Even comrade Andrews' government have said they aren't banning it in Victoria, as has the Queensland Labor government.

I really can't help but think there is something more to this, it really doesn't add up.

Edited by Tesla

5 hours ago, Tesla said:

Yeah I really don't understand, fair enough if something had to be done but completely banning it especially given the economic consequences seems over the top.

$1.5bn hit to the NSW economy, seriously only a Greens politician would make a retarded move like this. Even comrade Andrews' government have said they aren't banning it in Victoria, as has the Queensland Labor government.

I really can't help but think there is something more to this, it really doesn't add up.

Mike Baird has set his mind on banning fun. NSW really is hitting some new heights in the race to the biggest nanny state 

11 hours ago, Tesla said:

State of the art in 1901. Actually if people are too concerned about online voting from your own home (or wherever) why not buy 20k tablets (you should get a decent discount for bulk purchase) and install them at the polling venues, locally connected so no outside interference and software to register your vote. attach a mini-printer that will give you two slips (one for the parliament, the other for the senate) that you place in the box. The unofficial electronic results can be announced 15 minutes after the last polling venue has closed. They can then confirm via the printed slips which would be the official results.

The software can have an option of using a how to vote card or you can enter the numbers yourself. Absentee votes will be easily counted. Not sure about postal votes though. However it would still be an improvement on what we have today. BTW the tablets don't really need to be that sophisticated, just rugged.

As for Mike Baird, well in his news conference he said the economic value was worth about $75M to the NSW economy, so not a big contributor. And it gives him the sheen of being sensitive and green without compromising on any of the core philosophies to the big end of town. Also I read in the Guardian that the greyhound racing venues are on some prime real estate that is now likely to come on to the market. Hmmm developers....

46 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

State of the art in 1901. Actually if people are too concerned about online voting from your own home (or wherever) why not buy 20k tablets (you should get a decent discount for bulk purchase) and install them at the polling venues, locally connected so no outside interference and software to register your vote. attach a mini-printer that will give you two slips (one for the parliament, the other for the senate) that you place in the box. The unofficial electronic results can be announced 15 minutes after the last polling venue has closed. They can then confirm via the printed slips which would be the official results.

The software can have an option of using a how to vote card or you can enter the numbers yourself. Absentee votes will be easily counted. Not sure about postal votes though. However it would still be an improvement on what we have today. BTW the tablets don't really need to be that sophisticated, just rugged.

This is far too efficient for government. Would be great though but a can imagine there would be completely unnecesary backlash from technophobes

41 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

This is far too efficient for government. Would be great though but a can imagine there would be completely unnecesary backlash from technophobes

Ahh yes the technophobes. I will compromise - In every seat there will up to three venues that will be paper only, the technophobes can travel to these venues and vote as per the usual way. The rest of us can move on. The results will not be so accurate but depending on the number of technophobes the results will be known a lot quicker.

Also make the software open source so that people can try and break it, this way it will be robust and tamper free.

Michael Pascoe writing in Fairfax points out that the NXT had a swing against it in SA of 3.11% and the swing towards it occurred nationally. He also points out that he would not have met the quota if a half-senate election had been held. Also that the senate informal vote had increased polling higher than One Nation or Derryn Hinch. Heck it meets the quota on its own right. So here is my reform to the senate - if the informal votes meet the quota then that seat remains vacant. That would make politics even more amusing.

5 hours ago, NewConvert said:

As for Mike Baird, well in his news conference he said the economic value was worth about $75M to the NSW economy, so not a big contributor. And it gives him the sheen of being sensitive and green without compromising on any of the core philosophies to the big end of town. Also I read in the Guardian that the greyhound racing venues are on some prime real estate that is now likely to come on to the market. Hmmm developers....

It created $1.2bn in turnover last year in NSW, this year it was going to be up this year apparently.

Royal commission into banking is so retarded.

What the actual fuck is wrong with this country? Glorifies tradies that are literally scamming and robbing every other citizen, but oh no the big bad bankers are gonna get us. The royal commission into unions should be extended to go deeper in the whole construction industry and sort this shit out.

Need to create the Union of Professionals and Office Workers, and then  go around taking baseball bats to the heads of CFMEU etc cunts, since organised crime is okay if you're a union.

17 minutes ago, Tesla said:

What the actual fuck is wrong with this country? Glorifies tradies that are literally scamming and robbing every other citizen, but oh no the big bad bankers are gonna get us. The royal commission into unions should be extended to go deeper in the whole construction industry and sort this shit out.

Need to create the Union of Professionals and Office Workers, and then  go around taking baseball bats to the heads of CFMEU etc cunts, since organised crime is okay if you're a union.

There already are Misc Unions with names like this that dont do anything, they are they Unions that the Lawyers of the ALP all join before running for Parliament because you have to be a Union Member to be an ALP MP.

Really we need a royal commission into royal commissions, what is this shit:

• One Nation wants a royal commission into Islam
  • Jacquie Lambie and Nick Xenophon want a royal commission into defence abuse and veterans' welfare
  • Nick Xenophon strongly supports Labor's policy of a royal commission into banking
  • Derryn Hinch wants a royal commission into the Family Court and child protection agencies

17 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Really we need a royal commission into royal commissions, what is this shit:

• One Nation wants a royal commission into Islam
  • Jacquie Lambie and Nick Xenophon want a royal commission into defence abuse and veterans' welfare
  • Nick Xenophon strongly supports Labor's policy of a royal commission into banking
  • Derryn Hinch wants a royal commission into the Family Court and child protection agencies

TBH this needs to happen, this shit that still goes on with Children in State Care at this very moment is as horrific as the worst period of Clerical Abuse in any of the Churches.  

The call for a RC into Defence Force Abuse is also pretty justifiable.

Edited by cadete

5 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Yo Dawg! We heard you like royal commissions, so we are gunna do a Royal Commission into yo Royal Comissions

Tim Minchin needs some more material for unfunny shitty songs...

Edited by cadete

6 hours ago, Tesla said:

It created $1.2bn in turnover last year in NSW, this year it was going to be up this year apparently.

I went back and read the statement and apparently Mike Baird said the greyhounds were worth $90M. So why is there a discrepancy in the figures and not just a little discrepancy.

6 hours ago, Tesla said:

Too many suicides since the GFC have been caused by the banking industry and the continuing violation of laws by the banking industry. So far the banks have had multiple attempts at 'cleaning their own act' only for another scandal to erupt. How many people have been driven to suicide by the CFMEU? I doubt that people with such soft hands would be able to take on the construction workers/tradies. Although I do know two who have done so without any consequences.

32 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

I went back and read the statement and apparently Mike Baird said the greyhounds were worth $90M. So why is there a discrepancy in the figures and not just a little discrepancy.

Too many suicides since the GFC have been caused by the banking industry and the continuing violation of laws by the banking industry. So far the banks have had multiple attempts at 'cleaning their own act' only for another scandal to erupt. How many people have been driven to suicide by the CFMEU? I doubt that people with such soft hands would be able to take on the construction workers/tradies. Although I do know two who have done so without any consequences.

Who are the two?

I guess the betting odds weren't so wrong after all lol. Would have been shit waiting so long for a payout anyway.

Maybe in a few months we'll also know the senate results. Gonna be an entertaining 3 years with 9 parties (maybe even 10 or 11) in the senate. The way things look, if Labor doesn't vote with the Coalition then any party with at least 2 senators can basically veto any law and that looks like that will be 4 parties, maybe even 5.

Edited by Tesla

2 hours ago, Tesla said:

I guess the betting odds weren't so wrong after all lol. Would have been shit waiting so long for a payout anyway.

Maybe in a few months we'll also know the senate results. Gonna be an entertaining 3 years with 9 parties (maybe even 10 or 11) in the senate. The way things look, if Labor doesn't vote with the Coalition then any party with at least 2 senators can basically veto any law and that looks like that will be 4 parties, maybe even 5.

This will be a test for leadership qualities. Both MT and BS will need to placate their political base, the cross benches and the public. How well they can negotiate, what they are willing to compromise and how they handle the PR will be critical. The journey is more perilous for MT because he is running the government but BS will need to come across as constructive regardless of whether he is or not. Oh and hopefully external factors don't derail the economy.

Anyone else finding Kingslayers' constant diatribe about the Liberals being so torn up internally that Australia will be at the polls in a year just a little both bit optimistic and hypocritical.

Obviously the situation is pretty shit for the Coalition, but Shorten was there for when the ALP still was able to run out its last term as a minority Government despite Rudd constantly trying to knife Gillard... which he ended up doing with his own support.

2 hours ago, cadete said:

Anyone else finding Kingslayers' constant diatribe about the Liberals being so torn up internally that Australia will be at the polls in a year just a little both bit optimistic and hypocritical.

Obviously the situation is pretty shit for the Coalition, but Shorten was there for when the ALP still was able to run out its last term as a minority Government despite Rudd constantly trying to knife Gillard... which he ended up doing with his own support.

He is really coming off as a sore loser to me with the whole we'll be back at the polls thing.

After this election I don't think people can be fucked having another election in 3 years let alone less.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tesla said:

He is really coming off as a sore loser to me with the whole we'll be back at the polls thing.

After this election I don't think people can be fucked having another election in 3 years let alone less.

Those are my thoughts...

I also think he is really overlooking the fact that the Election results were at least equally as big a reflection of PPL being apathetic towards Politics in general and the whole feeling of loathing a tediously long Election Campaign than a showing of Public Disapproval towards the Government.

At the end of day the ALP have only won 68 seats themselves... its not like when Abbott won the exact same amount of seats (72) as Gillard did back in 2010 so the whole "Labor is back" stuff is a bit rich.

Edited by cadete

ROFL at Richard Di Natale claiming the reason why the Greens vote has continued to slump was because it was due them being a Major Party now and was part of the Protest Vote.

Seriously who would ever Protest Vote against the bloody Greens? And who would turn from the Greens to Independents/Minor Parties that did increase in their Vote Share? The whole argument makes less sense than their policies.

They have now lost a Third of their Senate vote since 2010... and no wonder when we are all freezing cold and none of their stupid predictions back in 2007 about Capital Cities Coastlines have came remotely near true.

Say "Hello" to Cheryl Kernot in "The Cemetery of Irrelvant Parties" in a couple of elections time Richard. 

Nick Xenophag already pursuing his anti-gambling agenda I see. Will be a massive blow to sport in this country if gambling advertising is banned. Might be a good thing for people like me since they can't replace the cash flow from a profitable gambler with some mug sports multi better so easily, but none the less it's a disgrace and I hope Labor havent gone so far to the left that they support this shit.

Though I'm glad he doesn't seem to be on top of what's happening with esports, clearly the bookmakers are targeting underage gamblers with their esport obsession in recent times. Dodgy cunts.