Melbourne Football

The Great Outdoors (Camping/Hunting/Fishing) Thread.

Deviant

I got back earlier this week from a week in Tas.

Did 4days of bushwalking @ Lake St.Clair-Cradle Mountain National Park. 2 day-walks from lodge we were staying at and an overnighter on the track as well. The overland track is stunning. Some of the most bio-diverse mirco-climates in the world. Walk for a bit through rainforest out on to sub-alpine then temperate then eucalypt forest. The alpine sections were amazing too. Lots of snow!

I did the Lake St.Clair side of the park and would highly recommend it. Its got easy 2-3 walks all the way up to 7day full pack hikes to cradle mountain.

Tassie is VERY underrated IMO and the scenery there is easily the most dramatic in Australia IMO.

Highly recommend! :up:

This.

Did 4days of bushwalking @ Lake St.Clair-Cradle Mountain National Park. 2 day-walks from lodge we were staying at and an overnighter on the track as well. The overland track is stunning. Some of the most bio-diverse mirco-climates in the world. Walk for a bit through rainforest out on to sub-alpine then temperate then eucalypt forest. The alpine sections were amazing too. Lots of snow!

I did the Lake St.Clair side of the park and would highly recommend it. Its got easy 2-3 walks all the way up to 7day full pack hikes to cradle mountain. 

Tassie is VERY underrated IMO and the scenery there is easily the most dramatic in Australia IMO. 

Heard that from more than a few people now. 

Also, NZ is rated highly. might have to organise something for Wellington away  :up:

Did u manage to get to Strahan as well?

I've been trying to get down there for a while. Wouldn't mind going somewhere on the Tyenna to do a little fly fishing.

Do it! You wont be disappointed with Tassie. The only gripe I had with Lake St.Clair (Australia's deepest lake) which is full to the brim with Rainbow and Brown Trout, is that all though you ARE allowed to fish there, there is nowhere to hire gear etc and no charters etc. Not really set up for fishing. My fault really as I knew I was going to a place which is a bushwalking/camping mecca but I assumed I might be able to hire a little fly rod or even do a bit of lure fishing on one of the days that the GF was out walking again. 

Ah well, still a great time. Just remember if you do go to Lake St.Clair etc. bring your own gear!

I've been trying to get down there for a while. Wouldn't mind going somewhere on the Tyenna to do a little fly fishing.

Do it! You wont be disappointed with Tassie. The only gripe I had with Lake St.Clair (Australia's deepest lake) which is full to the brim with Rainbow and Brown Trout, is that all though you ARE allowed to fish there, there is nowhere to hire gear etc and no charters etc. Not really set up for fishing. My fault really as I knew I was going to a place which is a bushwalking/camping mecca but I assumed I might be able to hire a little fly rod or even do a bit of lure fishing on one of the days that the GF was out walking again. 

Ah well, still a great time. Just remember if you do go to Lake St.Clair etc. bring your own gear!

Sounds like you had a good time (minus not getting a fish in) I will make sure when i get a chance to get down there i will bring my own gear. Still yet to catch myself a trout in the double figures and I've herd you're a good chance on the Tyenna.

Edited by TOPCAT

Hedaik, let us know how the ANP is when your up there mate!

Alpine NP was awesome, easily my favourite camping area and national park in Victoria. 

Did the Mt Howitt walk from the carpark, fairly straight forward hike but was pretty bloody cold and windy once youre exposed near the peak. You'd want to make sure you're well prepared if you're doing the crosscut saw in winter as I wouldn't want to get stuck overnight in wet clothing. The overnight huts looked pretty good though, with the best toilet in Australia near Mt Howitt where you can overlook the whole valley from the throne. Forgot to bring up my Yarraside stickers for you  :(

Also did Wellington River track with the intention of getting to lake tali khan but couldn't make it and turned back 5km short. Theres something like 16 river crossing where you need to take your boots and socks off each time so that slowed us down a bit. Ended up doing 24km in 6.5 hours or something so really needed to allow another 3 hours to get to the lake. Saw my first wild deer, scared the shit out of me at first as I thought it was a giant dog. 

Just got back then from Alpine NP. And wowee it was cold. Did the cross cut saw and made it to Mt Buggery, and finished off last night at Vallejo Gantner Hut (The best toilet you were talking about). Light snow falling as we walked out this morning. This was my first time to ANP, and I was blown away. Some of the best scenery on top of the cross cut saw i will ever see. Would recommend this walk to anyone, but yes, i wouldn't touch it from now til post winter, as it was FREEZING, averaging -4 each night plus windchill. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Blokes - best way to keep ice as ice for 3 days?

Is it possible

Make your own ice blocks instead of using shitty broken up ice. Freeze the blocks for a about a week prior and have the freezer temp as low as it goes. Mixing with salt is supposed to help as well but I'm not sure on the ratios. Freezing with boiled water is also supposed to help (less oxygen??)

Then there's the obvious things like leaving it in the shade and trying not to open it every 20 mins. Keeping a wet material over the esky would also help as does camping in winter. Also freeze as much of the freezer contents as possible such as drinks and food for day 2 or 3.

With just some basic preparation and forward thinking, even the novice camper can still enjoy an icey cold coca cola on day 3 of their camping trip.

Edited by hedaik
  • Like 1

Don't skimp on the esky. Buying a good now (before Earthcore) will last you a lifetime. 

Also, like what hedaik mentioned, freeze your own blocks. Use ice cream containers filled with water if need be. 

Have a separate esky for drinking water.

Mixing salt with the water could work, but i wouldn't do that for a food esky. If your half eaten pack of snags/chops/etc. sinks in then the food is ruined. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

lol. I don't quite understand where you're going with that article?

From what i understood, you're mistaking this topic for an anti-guns forum. Please enlighten me...

Edit: If it's about teaching your kid to shoot someone in the back of the head is wrong, then carry on...

Edited by Deviant

• 6 months later...

Decided to get myself into hiking now that I've purchased a new camera so I'm going on a full-day hike just outside of Healesville tomorrow, any advice for beginners?

Don't fall down an isolated canyon and have the misfortune of a boulder landing on your arm. You'll have to drink your own piss and eventually amputate your arm to save yourself. 

• Like 2

Footing is essential. Doesn't matter how flat the surface looks, take proper steps (lift your knees when you walk, also called 'stomping') and remember heel then toe. 

Stay safe and enjoy. 

FYI: stalking prey is similar, but you're slowing right down to analyze your surroundings.