Melbourne Football

Mate Dugandzic

kontra.11

I'm pretty harsh on duga as feel he can be one of our best players out on the pitch, but it's also why I think he should be playing in the first eleven. For whatever reason though he doesn't always produce the football he's capable of, indicative when he had the one on one with the keeper. For what it's worth have it on very good authority that even Koren feels duga is one of the top players in the team when he's training if he could only produce that out in the game. The good thing is, and something I forget sometimes, is that he's only 24. He still has time on his side to become the player he's capable of, and at very worst is a player I'd want on the bench.

On why he played as a central striker it's very simple. Duff has taken his spot as right winger, and with Williams out of the picture he would be the man to play that central role.

Just on a side note regarding his missed one on one chance, in my opinion he should have rounded the keeper instead of shooting for the outer post. There was hardly any space for the ball to pass through there and the keeper left space to his right. Would have rounded him and scored with ease if he had the presence of mind to do so.

I'm pretty harsh on duga as feel he can be one of our best players out on the pitch, but it's also why I think he should be playing in the first eleven. For whatever reason though he doesn't always produce the football he's capable of, indicative when he had the one on one with the keeper. For what it's worth have it on very good authority that even Koren feels duga is one of the top players in the team when he's training if he could only produce that out in the game. The good thing is, and something I forget sometimes, is that he's only 24. He still has time on his side to become the player he's capable of, and at very worst is a player I'd want on the bench.

On why he played as a central striker it's very simple. Duff has taken his spot as right winger, and with Williams out of the picture he would be the man to play that central role.

Just on a side note regarding his missed one on one chance, in my opinion he should have rounded the keeper instead of shooting for the outer post. There was hardly any space for the ball to pass through there and the keeper left space to his right. Would have rounded him and scored with ease if he had the presence of mind to do so.

He is one of the best players in the team when he is in form. I don't think he has ever come out and played his best the first game of the season, seems to need a few games to get firing. I'm not sure he will have that opportunity this season though with so much competition.

Like willo, duga is a bench option at best for a team that is aiming for the title.

Those two show their best with their pace late in games when defenders are tired.

Neither can finish or cross for shit

Duga is twice the player Willo is, unfair to group them.

• Like 2

Like willo, duga is a bench option at best for a team that is aiming for the title.

Those two show their best with their pace late in games when defenders are tired.

Neither can finish or cross for shit

Duga is twice the player Willo is, unfair to group them.

Duga's close control and short passing abilities are up there with anyone in this league. Is definitely not in the mould of Ramsay or Williams where pace is there only attribute. If he could get his crossing and finishing in check he wouldn't be playing in this league to be honest.

End product is the main thing that separates the next level and players at a-league level to be fair. Hopefully competition for places will push everyone to another level this year.

• Like 2

Don't disagree too much with this but it shows the difference between  'very good player' and a 'nearly very good player'. ATM, Duga is in the 'nearly very good player' category. I was really happy that he joined us from the Tards and have got alot of time for him. But it's time to step up and make a difference consistently.

At 24 yo, you've probably gone as far as you can technically. He's got a lot of technical ability. Now you have to carry the training track peformance onto match day. That includes having the self belief, composure and absolute desperation to prove yourself in front of the crowd - even when things aren't going well for your team. Mooy has shown this, Duff has this, Villa has this and Koren as well. They can turn in consistently good performances week in week out - and then rise to exceptional performances. That's what I reckon seperates top players from also rans. It's pretty much between the ears.

• Like 6

Don't disagree too much with this but it shows the difference between  'very good player' and a 'nearly very good player'. ATM, Duga is in the 'nearly very good player' category. I was really happy that he joined us from the Tards and have got alot of time for him. But it's time to step up and make a difference consistently.

At 24 yo, you've probably gone as far as you can technically. He's got a lot of technical ability. Now you have to carry the training track peformance onto match day. That includes having the self belief, composure and absolute desperation to prove yourself in front of the crowd - even when things aren't going well for your team. Mooy has shown this, Duff has this, Villa has this and Koren as well. They can turn in consistently good performances week in week out - and then rise to exceptional performances. That's what I reckon seperates top players from also rans. It's pretty much between the ears.

So much this. His problem has always been between the ears.

I'm pretty harsh on duga as feel he can be one of our best players out on the pitch, but it's also why I think he should be playing in the first eleven. For whatever reason though he doesn't always produce the football he's capable of, indicative when he had the one on one with the keeper. For what it's worth have it on very good authority that even Koren feels duga is one of the top players in the team when he's training if he could only produce that out in the game. The good thing is, and something I forget sometimes, is that he's only 24. He still has time on his side to become the player he's capable of, and at very worst is a player I'd want on the bench.On why he played as a central striker it's very simple. Duff has taken his spot as right winger, and with Williams out of the picture he would be the man to play that central role.

Agree with what you've said. So as a coach do you draw the line and say that you've seen enough and not give him as many opportunities or would you persist with him and give him the game time he needs to find that confidence he had before he got injured. I know which one I would choose.

Just has never been the say player since he did his ankle (?) and had that long injury forced lay-off.

Can't see him in the starting 11 with a full team unfortunately, should definitely be on the bench every game though

It can take over a year of playing for players to sometimes recover properly from these injuries and pick up from where they left off...

I still have hope for him - but not as a corner taker.

Just has never been the say player since he did his ankle (?) and had that long injury forced lay-off.

Can't see him in the starting 11 with a full team unfortunately, should definitely be on the bench every game though

It can take over a year of playing for players to sometimes recover properly from these injuries and pick up from where they left off...

I still have hope for him - but not as a corner taker.

Agreed on both counts.

I know he didn't score Saturday and that was disappointing (though he was denied later by a fine save from the keeper), but he seriously worked his tail off.  It didn't take long to figure out why we had the slightly bizarre* front 3 of Villa - Duga - Duff, There was no way Villa could have got through the work Duga was doing and if he'd tried he would have been useless for anything else (like scoring goals).

Too me he looked a lot more like "the old Mate".  I'll stick my neck out here: I think he's going to have a big season.

(* Am I the only one in Melbourne who thinks Duff is a left winger?)

Edited by Shahanga

• 1 month later...

His movements are a lot better when he is playing on the wing. 

He is a lot more dangerous when he tucks into a striker role while our our LB presses with the ball. 

This is gonna sound stupid but it is comparable to how Ronaldo scores much of his goals, despite playing and starting on the wing the pressing LB gives him a lot more freedom in terms of movement in and out of the box as a "second" striker. 

A lot harder for defenders to pick up. 

Don't know why he was wasted at CF the first few rounds. 

Edited by strider

He is a lot more dangerous when he tucks into a striker role while our our LB presses with the ball. 

This is gonna sound stupid but it is comparable to how Ronaldo scores much of his goals, despite playing and starting on the wing the pressing LB gives him a lot more freedom in terms of movement in and out of the box as a "second" striker. 

A guy by the name of Villa had the right wing given to him without ever earning it.

A guy by the name of Villa had the right wing given to him without ever earning it.

Left Wing!

But that's what baffled people. Villa is a striker for the most part

Not saying he is our best player although he has the potential to be. But he does regularly get in goal scoring positions and will start more games than not. Williams is the other main goal threat who's also erratic at finishing but will have his game time limited when Kennedy comes. So all in all I'm pretty confident in the bet as I believe the goals will be evenly spread this year.

I think the A-league will be the pinnacle of Mate's career TBH.

He is physically too much of a lightweight, and not super quick.

Interesting because when you compare Duga to Messi purely on physical attributes:

Duga: 1.75m, 75kg

Messi: 1.69m, 67kg

Messi slight smaller in height and weight but a far far superior player. What he lacks in physical presence he makes up for in abundance in skill on the ball and quick thinking. Able to run flat out while controlling the ball majestically and making the right decisions. He seems to ride bumps without skipping a beat.

Interesting because when you compare Duga to Messi purely on physical attributes:

Messi slight smaller in height and weight but a far far superior player. What he lacks in physical presence he makes up for in abundance in skill on the ball and quick thinking. Able to run flat out while controlling the ball majestically and making the right decisions. He seems to ride bumps without skipping a beat.

...did you really just compare Duga to Messi?

...did you really just compare Duga to Messi?

Can't believe some people on this forum sometimes, comparing duga to that hack, jeez.

• Like 2

Yeah but aside from the obvious talent difference, the body build is very different.

Messi has a very low centre of gravity.  His legs look proportionately short and have more "meat" on them. 

Aguero has a similar build with shortish tree trunk legs. Same with Tevez.  Not to mention to Diego Armando.

Players of this build ride the bumps and change direction quickly.

Mate just gets brushed aside.

Yeah but aside from the obvious talent difference, the body build is very different.

Messi has a very low centre of gravity.  His legs look proportionately short and have more "meat" on them. 

Aguero has a similar build with shortish tree trunk legs. Same with Tevez.  Not to mention to Diego Armando.

Players of this build ride the bumps and change direction quickly.

Mate just gets brushed aside.

So let's sign Mifsud again

• 1 month later...