Melbourne Football

Mate Dugandzic

kontra.11

• 2 weeks later...

played decent tonight, really needs a target inside the box instead of crossing to no one though.

or he could look up and see that nobody's there and stop giving it away

This, if he learnt to take a look before putting in a cross/cutback, he would be dangerous.

Plus if he wasn't done for offside the second time, he would have been 1 on 1.

played decent tonight, really needs a target inside the box instead of crossing to no one though.

or he could look up and see that nobody's there and stop giving it away

This, if he learnt to take a look before putting in a cross/cutback, he would be dangerous.

If he didn't cross it and played it back he would get a ribbing for playing the ball backwards from this forum.

or he could look up and see that nobody's there and stop giving it away This, if he learnt to take a look before putting in a cross/cutback, he would be dangerous.

If he didn't cross it and played it back he would get a ribbing for playing the ball backwards from this forum.

Haha, everyone has their own opinion.

But there were a couple of times when a cut or a pass to midfield would have been better than a cross amoung four defenders and David Williams.

or he could look up and see that nobody's there and stop giving it away This, if he learnt to take a look before putting in a cross/cutback, he would be dangerous.

But there were a couple of times when a cut or a pass to midfield would have been better than a cross amoung four defenders and David Williams.

I don't disagree just playing the old devils advocate. I suspect it shows a lack of work rate from a few players that there is no one in the box (or even arriving). Who is that fast striker we have the one on marquee wages? His name escapes me but dare I suggest it, in Europe someone is meeting those crosses.

I don't disagree just playing the old devils advocate. I suspect it shows a lack of work rate from a few players that there is no one in the box (or even arriving). Who is that fast striker we have the one on marquee wages? His name escapes me but dare I suggest it, in Europe someone is meeting those crosses.

IMO you''ll see a tendency for our front three to move forward in a line and the crosses tend to be into the goal area i.e too close to the goal. There's rarely anyone arriving on the edge of the penalty area so the cut-back cross is not on. Anyway, you need midfielders who can shoot or have a decent header on them for the cut back to be useful. 

Generally speaking I would say that our set-pieces and open-play crosses are not the best. Overall we don't put enough pressure on opposition defences and GKs.

BTW, this issue is not only Dugandzic - it applies to the team generally.

Edited by jw1739

Dugandzic had a pretty good (although not perfect) game against Adelaide. Good to see him provide a tidy finish to get his goal. Also, he played more balls into the penalty area than any other player (in either team), with him playing 10 balls into the box. I'm pretty sure he was SBS's man of the match.

Over the past 8 games he's got 2 goals and 6 assists, which are solid numbers. After having 4 surgical procedures in the pre-season and not doing so well under Aloisi, it looks like Duganzic is really starting to perform under JVS.

His game hasn't been faultless. I think Dugandzic could be even better with his ball delivery into the box (although it should be noted, as above, that his stats are pretty good). But more importantly IMO, I would like to see Dugandzic make better forward runs, stay onside more, and attack and finish more often. If he can improve his attack (and compare with his 1st season at Heart, where he got 7 goals), I reckon he could be the best winger in the league.

• Like 2

Dugandzic had a pretty good (although not perfect) game against Adelaide. Good to see him provide a tidy finish to get his goal. Also, he played more balls into the penalty area than any other player (in either team), with him playing 10 balls into the box. I'm pretty sure he was SBS's man of the match.

Over the past 8 games he's got 2 goals and 6 assists, which are solid numbers. After having 4 surgical procedures in the pre-season and not doing so well under Aloisi, it looks like Duganzic is really starting to perform under JVS.

His game hasn't been faultless. I think Dugandzic could be even better with his ball delivery into the box (although it should be noted, as above, that his stats are pretty good). But more importantly IMO, I would like to see Dugandzic make better forward runs, stay onside more, and attack and finish more often. If he can improve his attack (and compare with his 1st season at Heart, where he got 7 goals), I reckon he could be the best winger in the league.

I agree he could be a very good winger and seems to have been set back a long way by his injury.

Your review of his season had a very "rose coloured" view to it though.  There is no getting away from the fact he has missed say half a dozen "sitters" under JVS. 

Would definitely re-sign but we need to see some better shooting (like last week) next year.

I agree, I like him, it's a real pitty he got injured. I would just like him to become as good as he can in football manager, haha.

I have a feeling he will be a stand out next season.

We know this guy is good enough because he was one of the most damaging players in the league back in the 11-12 season, if he gets back to that kind of form then who knows what he's capable of with decent players around him.

I agree he could be a very good winger and seems to have been set back a long way by his injury.

Your review of his season had a very "rose coloured" view to it though.  There is no getting away from the fact he has missed say half a dozen "sitters" under JVS. 

Would definitely re-sign but we need to see some better shooting (like last week) next year.

Don't think my review of his season was overly rose coloured. As I said, over the past 8 games (so roughly, the final 3rd of the season), he's been pretty good, with 6 assists and 2 goals. The fact is if Heart had a left winger who was achieving those kinds of numbers, then Heart would be pretty impressive down the flanks.

As for the first half of Dugandzic's season, it was very disappointing, but it's unclear how much he was recovering from injury (and Aloisi's coaching clearly didn't bring the best out of him, as it didn't bring the best out of any Heart player).

Fully agree that he needs to improve his finishing, as I said in my post. But I'd point out that a winger's first duty is to provide assists, like Dugandzic did with his excellent assist to Engelaar against Brisbane. Wingers should chip in with goals, of course, but the team shouldn't depend foremost on them to score.

David Williams only scoring 1 goal (the tap in against victory) from open play in 7 matches (along with 2 pens) is the real scoring problem. 

Duga just came back from injury and was thrown into the pitfall that was aloisi. The end result was diabolical, from dugas perspective anyway, and was the last thing he needed. JVS has given him back the freedom to do what he does best, to take on players and play with freedom. I expect with a good preseason he will be firing next season, if we still have him of course.

• Like 1

Early next season Mate will be 25. He's no longer a young player who shows a lot of promise, he's becoming a mature player who needs to deliver on that early promise. IMO our coaching team need to work very hard with him to get him back to his best.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

David Villa’s arrival at Melbourne City is a big positive for striker Mate Dugandzic

MATT WINDLEY

OCTOBER 09, 2014

MATE Dugandzic was only ever going to view David Villa’s signing as a positive, even if the Spaniard’s arrival costs him a place in Melbourne City’s starting line-up.

Dugandzic said from Villa’s first training session on Monday it was clear the 2010 World Cup winner was all class.

With former Chelsea star Damien Duff also in attack, one of Dugandzic or David Williams are seen as likely to make way for tomorrow night’s clash with Sydney FC at Allianz Stadium.

But Dugandzic, 24, said “you can’t really think too much” about what Villa’s presence means for his own place in the team.

“You’ve literally just got to keep persisting with how you train and what you do,” Dugandzic said.

“I think a lot of guys can learn a lot of things from him through his professionalism and the way he plays the game.

“If he takes my spot then he takes my spot, I’ll just have to wait until he leaves and then try and win it back, or, in the meantime, win it back while he’s here.

“He’s a massive addition regardless of who gets dropped or not, I think everyone’s going to benefit while he’s here.”

Dugandzic described as “sharp” Villa’s first week on the training track.

“I think you can just see the intelligence more than anything else,” he said.

“His touch, the balls he plays, his finishing, he’s always that step ahead.

“On Monday, he’d only stepped off the plane the day before so he couldn’t do too much, but you could see that he was so eager to play. I think there were times where possibly he could have been taken out (of the session) but he wanted to stay on.

“He’s got a great mentality and he’s got a great attitude towards being here as well.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/david-villas-arrival-at-melbourne-city-is-a-big-positive-for-striker-mate-dugandzic/story-fnk6rlg0-1227085742163

Edited by Murfy1

Not sure what JVS was trying to achieve with Mate up top. He cannot play with his back to goal, doesn't have the strength to hold the ball up and is about as clinical in front of goal as Stephen Hawking.

This! Mate is not a striker he has always played as a wingman. He is so light of frame that he was bossed around by all the SFC defenders. I am hoping that next week Villa starts and then is replaced by Willo. Not sure where I would put Mate but with Duff having a great game then for me its the bench.

You guys are forgetting 2010-11 when he was one of the best wingers in the league, he has the capability of getting back to that but he needs to do a lot of work.

Something important in what you said..... winger... not a fucking striker, blokes useless up top

Still should of scored. No excuses for that goal he missed.

• Like 1

You guys are forgetting 2010-11 when he was one of the best wingers in the league, he has the capability of getting back to that but he needs to do a lot of work.

Something important in what you said..... winger... not a fucking striker, blokes useless up top

Still should of scored. No excuses for that goal he missed.

Should honestly get some credit for the positions he got himself in, very good, just lacked the end product.

Can see him getting back to his best if he is played out wide.

• Like 2

I agree, but it's not his fault he was deployed where he was. 

However, I think we're all on the same page in saying that whilst he's not a striker he still should have performed better.

• Like 1

Aren't we being a little rigid in categorization here? Striker/winger - they're forwards, and forwards are there to score goals. One-on-ones are not as easy to convert as many people think, depending on the relative positions of the players, goal and the ball, and the pace and direction of the ball etc., but in most cases any professional footballer, forward or not, should at the very least get the ball on the target. Mate put his shot about 2m wide of the post, and that's not the first time he's done it. You only have to look at our forwards and their shooting practice in the warm-up to see that far too often we are not on target.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

I've had enough of Mate tbh. That mistake from Ognenovski needed to be punished and from what I saw in the highlight reel, Dugandzic made it way too obvious where he was going to place the ball, making the keeper's job much easier.

Looking forward to watching the game again though. The view from the end of the ground was pretty shit so felt like id missed a lot of the game.

quite like the high expectations on Mate but lets not get ahead of ourselves and be realistic 

it seemed obvious to me that while he wasnt playing as a false 9, he did look to link up with others on occasion. 

this could work, but i think Mate proved he doesnt have the creativity (yet?) to play up front alone. 

i would like to see how he would go with a bigger strike partner (ie. Kennedy) with him, but looks like its back to the drawing board for JVS.